• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What wrestler has had the best set of movies outside of the ring discounting the Rock?

Batista's right up there sadly. Hulk may beat everyone numbers wise but they all suck besides Rocky and maybe No Holds Barred.

Piper in They Live.

Terry Funk in Road House.

Hogan was in Rocky 3, so he's technically been in a better movie than Rock will ever be.

predator.gif

I've actually seen Goldberg's Santa movie, it's not even shitty enough to be entertaining.
As a rap fan seeing that gif for the first time: Batista shooting Ja Rule in the head makes all the sense in the world.

Do you remember when Jeffrey Atkins and DMX had a whole string of direct to DVD action movies? lol

I have a really hard time ranking They Live/Rocky III/Predator/Princess Bride/They Live, that's a super solid group of movies.

Fun fact: Terry Funk choreographed the fight at the end of Rocky V. Meaning he was literally the only good thing in that movie.

Sephzilla

Ventura was awesome in Running Man too.

He was also in Demolition Man

I have a really hard time ranking They Live/Rocky III/Predator/Princess Bride/They Live, that's a super solid group of movies.

Fun fact: Terry Funk choreographed the fight at the end of Rocky V. Meaning he was literally the only good thing in that movie.

Well They Live must be pretty great if you listed it twice.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot that Goldberg did some DMX movies too. I worked a video store in 99-01 so I have a pretty clear memory of that particular time when it comes to movies. Fucking movies.

I did not know that. The last 10 minutes of Rocky V make up for the entire movie.

"My ring's outside."

jred2k

The "How Did This Get Made" podcast is going to be doing two Hogan movies at their live recording in March.

Also, thinking of that Cena interview with Austin, I wonder if he would have been such a company man if people had really liked his movies. As much as the WWE likes to show him off as a success, he's such a failure when it comes to any crossover appeal.

Penguin

What wrestler has had the best set of movies outside of the ring discounting the Rock?

Batista's right up there sadly. Hulk may beat everyone numbers wise but they all suck besides Rocky and maybe No Holds Barred.

I would actually go with Stone Cold

Usually cast in a tough redneck role which works for him.

Huge fan of The Condemned.
So so on the Expendables.
The Longest Yard is what it is.

Actually as I think about more, the entire group of Necro Butcher scenes from The Wrestler might be some of my favourite cinema ever. The going over the spots before and post match dying in the dressing room interspliced with ultra violence from the match is really great.

Funniest thing about that flick is that the poster makes you think Batista is the main star while RVD plays his silly comic relief sidekick or something.

The movie also featured that jobber, Ja Rule.

hahaha yeah. Batista was in the move for like 10 mins total and 5 of those minutes were at the end of the movie. RVD carried that movie surprisingly well. I would watch another flick with him starring

Kane's movie See No Evil was good too

Don't act like you didn't like Suburban Commando.

jmdajr

Unrelated.

The range/difference between DX HHH and Serious heel HHH is under appreciated.

Can't say there are many who can pull of both that well.

Foley is obviously another. Who else is on your list?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
See No Evil was so stupid it was fun. I will be watching See No Evil 2 when it releases.

Wade Keller said:
WWE has begun the process of editing out chair shots to the head on archived match footage.

The footage is available on WWE's YouTube page, which could also point to edits being made on WWE Network content.

One match in particular is John Cena & Randy Orton vs. The Raw Roster from March 2008 leading into WrestleMania 24.

During the match, Cena swung a chair toward the head of four consecutive wrestlers. A fifth chair shot was delivered by JBL to Umaga after Orton ducked.

The edited footage shows the chair shot mid-swing, a "glitch"-like pause before contact is made, and the aftermath of the chair shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgVcE7w0uo starts at 9:30

lol so much for the Network's footage being "uncensored"

Hasney

Unrelated.

Then you've got that time during Foley as commissioner and HHH being all face with him so he can get his hands on Kurt Angle, but then switches right back when he's revealed as behind Rikishi running down Austin. Just switches it on and off.

jred2k

Unrelated.

Foley is obviously another. Who else is on your list?

Obnoxious dickhead with a smirk to obnoxious dickhead with a snarl is quite the range.

The guy played a stroke victim like a champ too, no wonder Axel got so over.

Didn't see Meltzer's thing about this, sorry:

Meltzer said:
From talking to someone close to the Network, as it regards choking and other stuff that one would consider questionable in WWE PG 2014, basically anything that aired in the initial airings of things like PPVs will be what is shown on the Network. All of the PPV footage is coming from the master tapes, so things like Hogan being booed at the Royal Rumble when he pulled Sid out will be left intact. The only time WWE Home Video footage will be used is when there is a spot in the master tape that was damaged. For example, there is a Fabulous Freebirds entrance that was messed up in the master tape on a late 1980s WCW PPV, so they went back and pulled that entrance off of the home video release to patch it over. The only content edits will be stuff involving licensed music that they don't have the rights to. In regards to choking, it will be similar to the Benoit deal. Based on the severity of the choking, the show will be rated TV-14 or TV-MA and given the disclaimer that states that the footage is meant for adult audiences, these are characters and not real people, etc. So instances from the past where someone was being choked by a mic cable, or the WrestleMania moment where Undertaker "hung" the Big Bossman, will likely air as it originally did on the Network, but with a disclaimer and perhaps a TV-MA rating.

So it's okay, the chairshots in Rock/Mankind will likely still be there. Just behind a Mature rating.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
So J.R. said no one has done as much business as money/buys as Stone Cold. Is this true? Moreso than Hogan or Rock (well, I can believe Rock)?

I remember reading an analysis done by the observer that said Konnan was the biggest draw in the 90's, thanks to Mexico. Austin was in the bottom half of the top 10 from 1990-99, iirc. Hogan was the top draw for the 80's.

And Batista took care of him in the best way.

388080_o.gif

Man, don't mess with Batista in that movie. He's basically a wrecking ball and Van Dam is the incompetent sidekick

Wasn't Omarion or some such in there too and got peaced out in a similar way?

That goddamn movie

So does rock/ foley at rumble 99 just cut to Rock winning after the entrances??

lol

YUS

Also I would like to submit two dark horse candidates to this wrestling film contest:

Nathan Jones (Troy, Fearless, aforementioned Condemned, FUCKIN MAD MAX)

Robert Maillet/KURRGAN (Sherlock Holmes, Pacific Rim)

Come at me

DMczaf

All of the PPV footage is coming from the master tapes, so things like Hogan being booed at the Royal Rumble when he pulled Sid out will be left intact.

I never knew this happened. I guess I've always watched the edited version :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom