• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

url

Anyone of you ever seen this? It's just crazy looking at it now.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Heh, I thought his rapper gimmick was pretty lame, around the time I stopped following regularly. I know he's supposed to be a real nice guy but it's inconceivable to me that he's been the top dog for this long.

He does make for some great gifs though.

That he does. I can't wait for the network, as there's one bit back from the Royal Rumble that I REALLY want to see gif'd.

Sephzilla

We'd all be sick of Cena regardless of which gimmick he was using. It was his booking that was the problem, not the character. The only reason people see rapper Cena as better is because rapper Cena was booked better.

Rapper Cena actually had some kind of character and personality though. Modern Cena is plain and generally uninteresting. He's 80's Hogan without any of 80's Hogan's cheesy charisma.

So, if Rapper Cena stuck around and got booked like Super Cena, yeah people would eventually tire of him. But I think if he still kept the rapper gimmick going and kept that entertaining, he'd have more defenders.

Downhome

Am I the only guy that actually LIKES Swagger? I certainly don't like how they've used him up to this point, but I see something in that guy at times during his matches. If he had a different look, different character, I think he could be an impressive monster.

Sephzilla

It's nothing. Got banned for simply a distasteful joke.

This is why I barely ever jump over to games side or jump into certain threads anymore. Mods can ban you for way too many things around here.

Am I the only guy that actually LIKES Swagger? I certainly don't like how they've used him up to this point, but I see something in that guy at times during his matches. If he had a different look, different character, I think he could be an impressive monster.

He's a good in-ring performer, but everything else about him is absolutely awful. He can't talk, he has no personality, hell even his taunts are boring.

Terrabyte20xx

Swagger to me is kinda like how I view Tom Cruise in movies. Give him good stuff to work with, and it will come out good. Give him garbage, it'll come out like garbage. Doesn't add any value, but doesn't take away anything either. Just a flat, safe worker.

If they keep him with Zeb, and give them time to develop, they could have a nice upper mid card heel to rely on, kinda like where ADR is now.

jmdajr

This is why I barely ever jump over to games side or jump into certain threads anymore. Mods can ban you for way too many things around here.

Wii bashing was a delicate circumstance early last gen. But we've come to a point that it's almost wrong not to.

Still, I would tread lightly.

He's a good in-ring performer, but everything else about him is absolutely awful. He can't talk, he has no personality, hell even his taunts are boring.
Is it just me or it's the same 15-20 dudes are arguing in every gaming thread... maybe I should just blame myself but I'm human and love lurking the nintendo is doomed, ms is evil, ps4 has no games threads.

Sephzilla

Is it just me or it's the same 15-20 dudes are arguing in every gaming thread... maybe I should just blame myself but I'm human and love lurking the nintendo is doomed, ms is evil, ps4 has no games threads.

When I need to get my Nintendo bashing out of the way I just go over to Destructoid since it's a bit of a safer environment.

Terrabyte20xx

Gaf Hive Mind?

I've kinda stopped reading those threads when they started popping up every 2-3 days.

jmdajr

It probably is. Just not enough time over there to get to know the cliques.

Some folks talk about how the spend more time talking about games than playing them.
In a sense it's true. I do talk more about games than play them, and I pretty much almost never talk about games. So yeah. Not much gaming in my life.

Just much easier to enjoy NFL or WWE because I can have it on without my full undivided attention. Can't do that with games or reading. I need to be left pretty much alone with those hobbies.

edit; A little further into Lita's book. Pretty much, she's crazy. Way bigger balls than I will ever have, and that's when I still had two.

tm24

It's nothing. Got banned for simply a distasteful joke.

Honestly, it's a horrible joke that makes fun at the expense of women. Yes, there was much worse jokes, but they banned everyone in that thread who did that.

Also, have HB codes. Quote and ill send the link your way

Gianna Sisters

Antichamber

Dust

Guacamelee

Swapper

Did you just start watching in November?

Like... actually? Because the booking was worse in October than it was in that time frame. Going back further, the majority of 2006-2011 was worse with a few bright spots along the way.

Late as fuck but i was mainly talking about PPV's. HIAC was bad but the screwing over Bryan storyline at the time i was ok with thinking there was going to be a pay off. Can't talk about RAW because i can't even remember matches that happened 2 weeks ago. I do believe we have had better matches since the 3 hour switch though.

But between Survivor Series, TLC, Royal Rumble (which the crowd destroyed), and the supposed WM30 card. Easily the worst 6 months in ages. They even made a unified title storyline that could have easily headlined WM30 into the most boring dullest possible way they could think of. So the combination of the long string of high profile shit PPV's, boring storylines, and WM30 being booked like it's a B list PPV IMO makes it the worse time in awhile.

Gaf Hive Mind?

I've kinda stopped reading those threads when they started popping up every 2-3 days.
GAF praise for individual games are right on though, would have never played Alpha Protocol, Binary Domain, or Sonic Racing without the attention it got here. All those games were awesome, some of the very few games I actually finished this past generation.

Hasney

The XBone resolution threads are entertaining just to see the same people say it doesn't matter or what a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE it makes.

Then someone says PC and they're accused of being elitist or cries of BUT HOW MUCH DID THAT COST YOU HURRRR.

Then the circle of life is complete.

Sephzilla

The XBone resolution threads are entertaining just to see the same people say it doesn't matter or what a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE it makes.

Then someone says PC and they're accused of being elitist or cries of BUT HOW MUCH DID THAT COST YOU HURRRR.

Then the circle of life is complete.

Any time someone chimes in with their PC Master Race stuff I always immediately ask them how they plan on selling their games they don't want anymore.

jmdajr

GAF praise for individual games are right on though, would have never played Alpha Protocol, Binary Domain, or Sonic Racing without the attention it got here. All those games were awesome, one of the very few games I actually finished this past generation.

No doubt I take into consideration games that flew under the radar. At the same time I don't let them deter me from enjoying popular games. Quite a few games I have enjoyed only to find out later that it's somehow shit. Halo4, DmC. I feel lucky enough to just have time to play really and they were solid enough.

Terrabyte20xx

Honestly, it's a horrible joke that makes fun at the expense of women. Yes, there was much worse jokes, but they banned everyone in that thread who did that.

Antichamber

Can I get this one?

No doubt I take into consideration games that flew under the radar. At the same time I don't let them deter me from enjoying popular games. Quite a few games I have enjoyed only to find out later that it's somehow shit. Halo4, DmC. I feel lucky enough to just have time to play really and they were solid enough.
As much as I love Naughty Dog, if they published Knack as the same game with the ND logo on it, it would have gotten early GOTG honors, lol.

jmdajr

Any time someone chimes in with their PC Master Race stuff I always immediately ask them how they plan on selling their games they don't want anymore.

Thinking back, most hardcore PC people I knew were straight up assholes. They took a derogatory approach to try to get you to jump onboard. No better way to get someone to listen than bashing their taste in games and device of choice.

I like my PC just fine, but I will never spend extra money to game on it or manage a game library with it. Consoles have served that purpose well and I simply like those two things separated.

Hasney

I agree it's annoying in most contexts, but if you're having a console resolution dick-swinging contest, you can't complain if someone wanders in with a bigger dick.

I've ended up going full digital on my PS4 now. Damn that attractive US pricing that gets me games at almost half the UK price.

jmdajr

As much as I love Naughty Dog, if they published Knack as the same game with the ND logo on it, it would have gotten early GOTG honors, lol.

Knack would have made a great game ..

in the PS1 era.

I kid. But really, we are talking PS2 era here. I played and finished it because, I don't know.
I guess I wanted that old school feel, and it looked nice, controls were good but fuck...I think I had more fun playing the likes of say Brave Fencer Musashi.

Most of you guys were either little kids or not born yet when this happened, but for me and anyone past the age of 35, this was a huge, HUGE moment in wrestling. Hell, I still remember getting into heated arguments during grade school about how Hogan would retain (I could see that Warrior was a fraud from the get go) and how much crap I got when he lost.

I must have wore out the VHS

gurudyne

Guacamelee

Still available?

Rapper Cena actually had some kind of character and personality though. Modern Cena is plain and generally uninteresting. He's 80's Hogan without any of 80's Hogan's cheesy charisma.

Modern Cena's got a character, it just isn't one that works on the timeline they've used it. The 'never give up super babyface' tank of a man who just won't quit works, even as an underdog. It does NOT work for eight years with 7.5 being as the number one undefeatable guy. It wrecks the babyface angle, the underdog angle and makes the characterization more two dimensional as time goes by.

Hasney

in the PS1 era.

I kid. But really, we are talking PS2 era here. I played and finished it because, I don't know.
I guess I wanted that old school feel, and it looked nice, controls were good but fuck...I think I had more fun playing the likes of say Brave Fencer Musashi.

I'm still having fun with it, but fuck that checkpointing system needs work as well as the controls. Can't even save the game without finishing a full chapter.

Controversial opinion here, but from a purely aesthetic stand point, none of ND's games have appealed to me.

Uncharted bored me to death. I enjoyed Last of Us until I got bored of shooting people and watched the rest on YouTube. Good little story but the gameplay needs some work to stop it from becoming tiresome.

Sephzilla

Thinking back, most hardcore PC people I knew were straight up assholes. They took a derogatory approach to try to get you to jump onboard. No better way to listen to someone than bashing their taste in games and device of choice.

I like my PC just fine, but I will never spend extra money to game on it or manage a game library with it. Consoles have served that purpose well and I simply like those two things separated.

I agree it's annoying in most contexts, but if you're having a console resolution dick-swinging contest, you can't complain if someone wanders in with a bigger dick.

I've ended up going full digital on my PS4 now. Damn that attractive US pricing that gets me games at almost half the UK price.

The only input I have to the resolution dick-swinging is that I think it's stupid that in 2014 Microsoft can't figure out how to do HD right. It just seems like there's always something with an Xbox system that is stupid. It's WWE Creative if WWE Creative made consoles.

I have a good gaming PC and have no regrets about it, but going forward I'm going to try to focus as much as I can on getting games for my PS4 and getting physical copies over digital. Considering digital pricing is still pretty broken and there isn't that much of a disparity between physical and digital prices, I'd opt to just take the physical route because then I have a nice game case to put on my book shelf and I can sell the game at any point if I feel like I'm never going to play it again (GTA5). Plus, I like getting a game and knowing right away that it will work in my system, which is still a bit of a risk with PC games.

That, and the industry as a whole has convinced me that an all-digital future is a bad one.

jmdajr

Controversial opinion here, but from a purely aesthetic stand point, none of ND's games have appealed to me.

It is what it is I guess. Some gamers will never play games simply for the look. Looks too Japanese, or too Western. No middle ground.

Personally opinion but part (I said part) of DmC ridicule was for simply not being Japanese enough.

in the PS1 era.

That was a time when Square actually knew what they were doing and had multiple franchises... a cheap PSN or Live Arcade update of Einhander would sell boatloads.

Sephzilla

Personally opinion but part (I said part) of DmC ridicule was for simply not being Japanese enough.

It totally was, I think it was a valid complaint though honestly. I think we have more than enough try-hard serious western styled games out there. Sometimes I just want something that knows its stupid and lets me kill demons with rock and roll devil guitars.

Hasney

It is what it is I guess. Some gamers will never play games simply for the look. Looks too Japanese, or too Western. No middle ground.

The annoying characters and colour matching combat didn't help. I've seen Ninja Theory get praised for the atmosphere and characters too, but I can't sit down and play one of their gamers. Enslaved feels massively off control wise.

jmdajr

The annoying characters and colour matching combat didn't help. I've seen Ninja Theory get praised for the atmosphere and characters too, but I can't sit down and play one of their gamers. Enslaved feels massively off control wise.

I don't even see what's annoying about them. I don't get it.

Sephzilla

What makes me laugh is that Ninja Theory was specifically brought in to update and improve Devil May Cry's story and make it something that could be taken seriously. Their end result was something that was as weak, if not weaker, than the previous games that were self aware of how stupid they were.

Edit: Ugh, DmC is something that triggers my inner gamer nerd-rage. Someone should cut me off before I keep going down this road.

Terrabyte20xx

Yeah, I don't get people who put off good games because of their look. I beat all three Uncharted games, so I'm not included in that group.

But I do see where they come from. Using your DmC example, when a reboot of an old IP radically changes it's look, it loses some of the charm that it originally had. And that could put off people from playing the game.

Now I personally didn't play DmC because the demo had the boss battle opening up with a 5 minute cut scene of John Cena dropping his finisher over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom