• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Wrestlemania 6 features great undercard matches such as Rick Martel vs Koko B. Ware, Brutus Beefcake vs Mr. Perfect, Earthquake vs Hercules, Ted Dibiase vs Jake "The Snake" Roberts", Rick Rude vs Jimmy Snuka

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
So we will do one a day for the 29 days leading into mania? yea?
Mania 1 would be due on March 9th and the last would be posted on April 6th

Or we could do it where we push it forward a week so they are all done in time for the OT
So March 2nd through the 30th

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, I'd love a Mania I don't remember. I'd love to NOT remember Mania 28, but it's still painfully raw in my memory. That opening match, the fucking Undertaker vs H's finisher fest (I still can't believe some thought this was MOTY - what the fuck?), Team Teddy vs Team Johnny and The Rock & Cena going over 30 minutes, with Rocky gassed after 10. The only thing to look forward to is Punk vs Jericho and, even then, it's not the best match between the two.

I can't believe what an amazing curse Mania 28 is for you. I'd trade if it were allowed but...

Batista vs Taker <3

EDIT: We can also post the reviews to the Network thread. Wouldn't be a bad thing...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
90% of the promos in wrestlemania 1 sound the same.
It's like everyone went to the NWA school of 'heel promo who says boy a lot' and 'face promo' which NWA faces not named Dusty were usually the most boring faces on the planet

Kaladin

At least Wrestlemania 28 is in the current era when they're stacking the show with several main events, and it's not a one match show.

Sephzilla

Kind of wish I would have gotten in on the WM reviews. But then again, I'd almost certainly get stuck with a show I hate, plus I'm not good at making dem gifs.

DMczaf

ib0N0c3yIhDNDM.gif

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Aiii- 11 (March 12)
Batigol- 2 (March 3)
BillRiccio- 26 (March 27)
CrunchinJelly- 27 (March 28)
CureVylash- 8 (March 9)
Darkbanjo- 4 (March 5)
DMczaf- 16 (March 17)
Gurudyne- 3 (March 4)
jred2k- 20 (March 21)
Khrysler Jerikho- 22 (March 23)
Killing_joke- 10 (March 11)
LoneWolf296- 21 (March 22)
Man God- 24 (March 25)
mrboo001- 13 (March 14)
Mr. Nobody-25 (March 26)
Mr. Sandman- 6 (March 7)
Nazaaay- 28 (March 29)
Pepsi City- 12 (March 13)
Rapstah- 1 (March 2)
Reneledarker - 18 (March 19)
Serpentine- 5 (March 6)
Slightconfuse- 7 (March 8)
Snaku-19 (March 20)
Spider from Mars-14 (March 15)
Strobogo-29 (March 30)
TL21xx-17 (March 18)
Tm24-9 (March 10)
Vince McMahon- 23 (March 24)
XenoRaven-15 (March 16)

Aiii

So not worth it
Hm, should probably find a lamp for WM11, just to make sure I can do it even if the network isn't unlocked next week.

mrboo001

Banned
Because I'm a bit OCD, here is the list by WM

1 – Rapstah
2 – Batigol
3 – Gurudyne
4 – Darkbanjo
5 – Serpentine
6 – Mr. Sandman
7 – Slightconfuse
8 – CureVylash
9 – Tm24
10 – Killing_joke
11 – Aiii
12 – Pepsi City
13 – mrboo001
14 – Spider from Mars
15 – XenoRaven
16 – Dmczaf
17 – TL21xx
18 – Reneledarker
19 – Snaku
20 – jred2k
21 – LoneWolf296
22 – Khrysler Jerikho
23 – Vince McMahon
24 – Man God
25 – Mr. Nobody
26 – BillRiccio
27 – CrunchinJelly
28 – Nazaaay
29 – Strobogo

jred2k

Having to gif/review Lesnar vs Goldberg is a high task, but I believe I'm up to it.

I'll also need to figure out something more complex than GifCam if I hope to blackout noob saibot from the ME.

DMczaf

Not only did I not get a New Generation WM, I got the shittiest god damn WM of the last 20 years.

I get to watch Triple H go over 3 men and start his 15 year reign over WWE! YAY! YAY!

Fun! I've only ever watched the Iron Man match from that Mania, gonna avoid reading the wiki for it so that the results are a surprise.

The only difficulty is going to be getting enough coke to properly take in 90s Shawn Michaels.

Having to gif/review Lesnar vs Goldberg is a high task, but I believe I'm up to it.

The bigger task will be explaining how nobody won the main event between Michaels and Triple H and the title was vacated until Summerslam

Aiii- 11 (March 12)
Batigol- 2 (March 3)
BillRiccio- 26 (March 27)
CrunchinJelly- 27 (March 28)
CureVylash- 8 (March 9)
Darkbanjo- 4 (March 5)
DMczaf- 16 (March 17)
Gurudyne- 3 (March 4)
jred2k- 20 (March 21)
Khrysler Jerikho- 22 (March 23)
Killing_joke- 10 (March 11)
LoneWolf296- 21 (March 22)
Man God- 24 (March 25)
mrboo001- 13 (March 14)
Mr. Nobody-25 (March 26)
Mr. Sandman- 6 (March 7)
Nazaaay- 28 (March 29)
Pepsi City- 12 (March 13)
Rapstah- 1 (March 2)
Reneledarker - 18 (March 19)
Serpentine- 5 (March 6)
Slightconfuse- 7 (March 8)
Snaku-19 (March 20)
Spider from Mars-14 (March 15)
Strobogo-29 (March 30)
TL21xx-17 (March 18)
Tm24-9 (March 10)
Vince McMahon- 23 (March 24)
XenoRaven-15 (March 16)

WM22? Gangster Cena? Challenge Accepted.

DMczaf

WWE STAR SAYS
BROCK LESNAR
WILL APPEAR AT ELIMINATION CHAMBER PPV
by Mike Johnson @ 9:00 AM on 2/21/2014

Jimm McShane sent the following:

This morning on KARE 11 (NBC) in Minnesota, Kane made an appearance to promote Elimination Chamber at the Target Center. The most interesting part of the interview came when Kane was asked how Brock Lesnar "fits into all of this." Kane didn't answer right away, and the interviewer asked if Brock is still with WWE or not. Kane clarified that Brock is with the company, and also said Lesnar will be at the pay-per-view.

Christian. You're already dead.

jred2k

Brock will just come in for a staredown with Batista. They'll stand five feet apart and constantly shove ADR back and forth between them, as if to say "I don't want him, you take him."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be fine with that. The power and insanity of Brock vs the intensity and technique of Bryan, book it, Vince!

And for all the shit Brock gets, he doesn't deserve. He can bump and sell like a true champion.

Kaladin

If they put Brock Lesnar in the chamber, I will mark out like soccer moms over a new flavor of girl scout cookies for any interaction we get with Cesaro or Bryan.

They should just show Kofi beaten up in the back and then have Brock enter in Christian's position without ever really explaining it. Don't even mention Christian.

They should just show Kofi beaten up in the back and then have Brock enter in Christian's position without ever really explaining it. Don't even mention Christian.

Oh my god hahahahahah

But yah, they're in a corner with Bryan. He needs a marquee match and the options are slim. You could try and force him in the title match, he goes over Trips, the Taker match (eh) or Brock shows up to fuck up his day. I like the first or the last one.

I finished reading David Shoemaker's The Squared Circle: Life, Death, and Professional Wrestling and wrote a brief piece on it in the 50 Books, 50 Movies 2014 thread.

If it's okay, I'll crosspost it here:

The Squared Circle: Life, Death, and Professional Wrestling, by David Shoemaker

In hindsight, I'm surprised by how prominent a role professional wrestling has played in my adult friendships. I had watched professional wrestling as a kid (the skit where the Ultimate Warrior is bitten by a cobra after Jake "The Snake" Roberts betrayed him after Warrior asked Roberts to help him overcome his fears so he could defeat the Undertaker sticks in my mind), but I wasn't really invested in professional wrestling until my freshman year in college, when I saw three future friends watch SummerSlam 2000, specifically the Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match that featured Edge & Christian, the Hardy Boyz, and the Dudley Boyz ("z" was used to copyright their names and because it was the late 1990's/early 2000's). Professional wrestling, in the form of WCW/nWo: Revenge on the Nintendo 64, cemented our friendships, as our nightly boisterous battle royales gave us the testing platform that assured that our personalities were compatible.

After college, professional wrestling still played a key role in my connections to the world, especially since I had nothing but disposable time and income. I dragged my oldest friends to wrestling shows in Long Island and the City; eventually, they made it clear that the bonds of friendship can be stretched by professional wrestling only so far, and it was clear to me that they didn't enjoy it as much as I did anyway. I made new friends who would travel with me to Philadelphia and small towns in Connecticut and Pennsylvania to watch niche independent professional wrestling companies' shows. And professional wrestling is the bond that brings my current friends together every month as we watch pay-per-views with strangers, soaking in the atmosphere as much as the actual show on screen.

For all that, I hadn't been compelled to learn more about the history of professional wrestling in the United States, much less Canada, Mexico, Japan, India, or any of the European nations that lay claim to professional wrestling's history. Shoemaker's book is a good primer for professional wrestling history, filtered through wrestlers who exemplified the different eras of wrestling. The essays, which are mostly adapted from his The Dead Wrestler of the Week columns on Deadspin.com, are too brief but insightful as they try to summarize the wrestlers' lives and how they impacted or were impacted by the periods in which they plied their craft.

Shoemaker tries to fit almost a century's worth of wrestling in his book, and his ambition oustrips the book's format's ability to discuss much of it in detail. Because the essays are adapted from his columns, there is a lot of repetition; in a more traditional book, the repetition would be used to create explicit links of thought and common ideas. As it is, it feels more like a collection of columns that mention his ideas rather than a book of eulogies that unite around common themes.

Take, for example, his essays about the Modern Era wrestlers Brian "Crush" Adams and Yokozuna. Each touches on the period of creative floundering that the then-WWF (now WWE) suffered during the mid-1990s. Each touches on the geopolitics of professional wrestling, how wrestling exploits the value of the foreign Other in order to give the fans easy delineations between hero and villain, and how this is one of the oldest tricks in professional wrestling's book. The two teamed together on various occasions. But the connections between them are not made explicit or explored for the book's thematic impact.

The book attempts to be comprehensive about professional wrestling in the United States, but there are some odd omissions. Shoemaker claims (rightfully) that Extreme Championship Wrestling played a large role in how professional wrestling in the Modern Era changed; however, notable wrestlers who worked in Extreme Championship Wrestling, like Anthony "Pitbull #2" Durante or Mike "Mike Awesome/The Gladiator" Alphonso, aren't covered, which leaves the book with an ECW-shaped hole. He also discusses that Vincent K. McMahon is the current champion of professional wrestling in the United States, but his format doesn't allow him to discuss the fall of the WWE's main competitor, World Championship Wrestling, because no one who is particularly identified with that company is dead yet.

Shoemaker's book makes for a good introductory primer about professional wrestling in the United States, but there is still much more to discuss. I hope that he writes a follow-up book; he's shown a deft pen for explaining the history to the uninitiated and for separating the various layers of reality in which professional wrestling operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom