• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkbanjo

More CHIKARA Ashes stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUidgHL-zAk

So cheesy.

I like the cheese. Half of the appeal of Chikara to me is the weird 80s culture/comic book pastiche thing they have going for them. It's clear that it's exactly what Quack wants as his brand of wrestling and, to me, it works well as a very specific offshoot. I think its best in small doses, but that's the same of most of the indies, really. The ones that 'get it' anyway. I think it's the equivalent of having 'territories', but it's based on taste rather than geographical location. Since iPPV can be broadcast anywhere and there tends to be some crossover in terms of roster. You've got to have a shtick, and Chikara certainly has that.

UberTag

Guys. I'm over. I'm over!

BLO96gf.gif
Looks like Sheamus is trying to get a "maybe?" chant started.
I see he's been taking artificial enthusiasm lessons from Cena.
There's a complete disconnect between his eyes, his facial expression and his arm movements.

I like the cheese. Half of the appeal of Chikara to me is the weird 80s culture/comic book pastiche thing they have going for them. It's clear that it's exactly what Quack wants as his brand of wrestling and, to me, it works well as a very specific offshoot.

I agree, but I feel the cheesy nature of CHIKARA is at odds with this super serious storyline they've been trying to run for the past 7+ months while the promotion is out of action - a lot of people just want CHIKARA back doing what it does best, but instead we've got these Ashes videos and some low-rent, comic book mystery stuff that's only appealing to the most hardcore of CHIKARA fans.

darkbanjo said:
I think it's the equivalent of having 'territories', but it's based on taste rather than geographical location. Since iPPV can be broadcast anywhere and there tends to be some crossover in terms of roster. You've got to have a shtick, and Chikara certainly has that.

Definitely, that's one thing CHIKARA always did really well - they stood apart from the rest of indie wrestling and made their product their own. More indie companies should be trying to do the same, as there's a real dearth of originality in indie wrestling these days.

strobogo

Banned
It's a shame that the majority of the CHIKARA roster was made up of scrawny white guys who were basically rookies (or still wrestled like rookies after 10 years like Icarus) doing really slow and awkward lucha spots. The talent was never there to match up with the creativity in stories in my opinion. Even with stand out talents and outside guys.

Aiii

So not worth it
I got home at 8 AM and I just woke up with the mother of all headaches. Dear me,I feel like The Rock after taking a Stone Cold Stunner.

It's a shame that the majority of the CHIKARA roster was made up of scrawny white guys who were basically rookies (or still wrestled like rookies after 10 years like Icarus) doing really slow and awkward lucha spots. The talent was never there to match up with the creativity in stories in my opinion. Even with stand out talents and outside guys.

CHIKARA often struggled to produce top quality matches when it really mattered, so often the pay-off was never quite as good as the build. However, I think it also worked in their favour, to a degree - compared to the rest of indie wrestling, CHIKARA always kept things relatively simple. You wouldn't see a bunch of finisher spams, or near-fall after near-fall and, generally, none of the matches outstayed their welcome - however, it was always rare for a CHIKARA match to break the **** barrier, imo. That being said, I did generally find CHIKARA to be consistently more entertaining that a lot of their rivals.

darkbanjo

I agree, but I feel the cheesy nature of CHIKARA is at odds with this super serious storyline they've been trying to run for the past 7+ months while the promotion is out of action - a lot of people just want CHIKARA back doing what it does best, but instead we've got these Ashes videos and some low-rent, comic book mystery stuff that's only appealing to the most hardcore of CHIKARA fans.

Yeah, to begin with especially they seemed like a real missed opportunity. If the whole thing would have worn its cheesiness on its sleeve like this last part did I think it would have made much more sense. On the whole, though, I don't think it's been a terrible way of keeping Chikara bubbling away. It was different, and sometimes a little bit crummy, but the whole deal has been a sort of interesting experiment. It would have been nice if it tied into some actual wrestling a bit more. Chikara does have a bit of a problem with that sometimes.

I guess this is what I'm talking about. Chikara always seems like it's nearly something super cool but often falls a little short of the mark. I still think the attempt is laudable. And King of Trios is consistently dope.

Just reading the F4W board and saw Meltzer confirm that TNA demanded of anyone who purchased the company that they would have to keep Dixie on in an executive and on-screen role. No wonder there's been no takers.

no he didn't he said she would have a title with the company to save face but no power at all and the on air role. Jarrett and Keith then said we'll just start our own company.

More CHIKARA Ashes stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUidgHL-zAk

So cheesy.

It's perfect.

youtubeplaceholder.png

AMF_logo.png

It's National Pro Wrestling Day you marks (which also means the possible return of CHIKARA!)

So come and enjoy a free show. It's a celebration of the art form we enjoy watching! They are also raising money for the Against Malaria Foundation. You'll be able to link to the event and donate to the foundation if you want right here http://nationalprowrestlingday.com/.

The event starts at 1 pm EST

Colt Cabana vs. Drew Gulak
(Best 2 Out of 3 Falls)

Mike Bennett vs. Hallowicked

The Baltic Seige vs. Bloc Party
(Six-Man Tag Match)

Sonjay Dutt vs. Eric Corvis

Juan Francisco de Coronado vs. Shynron
(No Disqualification Match)

Eddie Kingston vs. Francis O'Rourke

Heidi Lovelace vs. Joe Pittman
(For Wrestling is Heart’s La Copa)

I'm in for Colt vs Gulak, also, Kingston vs Rourke should be fun.

no he didn't he said she would have a title with the company to save face but no power at all and the on air role. Jarrett and Keith then said we'll just start our own company.

Ah, Dave hadn't added that snippet to the thread when I read it.

I'm in for Colt vs Gulak, also, Kingston vs Rourke should be fun.

Ah, Dave hadn't added that snippet to the thread when I read it.

figured that might be the case, you know how dave is!

Unfortunately I just heard Frank O'Rourke had to pull out of the event today. Not sure if the rumor is 100% though. Seems like he's pulling out of quite a few shows lately.

Ithil

I'm watching the very first episode of NXT on Hulu and it's hilarious. Daniel cutting down the douche that is the Miz and Miz's insistence on Daniel having an awesome catchphrase. Retrospect isn't kind to the Miz.

Mr. 1.9 is literally the worst nickname in history.

The best part is that Bryan's first ever word spoken on WWE TV is "yes", right after Miz tells him to have a good catchphrase.

HHH got into bodybuilding like Cena and Vince. That's why he's not necessarily going to push small people either once he's in charge.

Yet Adrian Neville and Sami Zayn are the top faces in NXT right now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Killer Instinct is SO much better now that they have ragequitter jail. I'm in love again, and Spinal is fantastic!

Shots fired :-(

That was my main issue in terms of training: There's certain spots you were taught as gotos (if you see a back roll, that's the main one), but everything else was... Unnecessarily complicated.
Also it's American Lucha so the sides are reversed. Fun thing to think of when people from Mexico came in!

But that was the niche, so what can you do?

CHIKARA often struggled to produce top quality matches when it really mattered, so often the pay-off was never quite as good as the build. However, I think it also worked in their favour, to a degree - compared to the rest of indie wrestling, CHIKARA always kept things relatively simple. You wouldn't see a bunch of finisher spams, or near-fall after near-fall and, generally, none of the matches outstayed their welcome - however, it was always rare for a CHIKARA match to break the **** barrier, imo. That being said, I did generally find CHIKARA to be consistently more entertaining that a lot of their rivals.

Basically CHIKARA focused on more the overarching narrative and storyline than a supreme match. The exception was KOT, of course.

Wrong Side of Town is great, it's fantastic, must-see. Batista is a delight.

You've gone mad. Completely mad. And I watched that damn movie all the way through!

P.S shut up Bill, I have you on ignore and yet somehow your dumbassery seeps into my eyeballs

Muahahahaha /s

I got home at 8 AM and I just woke up with the mother of all headaches. Dear me,I feel like The Rock after taking a Stone Cold Stunner.
You sure it wasn't a tombstone? Hope you sold it too?

:p Excedrin or Advil

E: DM, wtf was that...lol

<gives DM the Million Dollar Dream> you can have all the Rome you want
<

Downhome

I loved watching SD last night. Heck, I enjoyed watching it more than I enjoyed watching RAW. Even with the spoilers there was a ton of stuff that caught my eye that I didn't already read about. Like Young with the busted face, the Wyatt family promo where all three of them talked, Jack Swagger lifting Christian up above his head and blatantly throwing Christian out of the ring over the post all the way to the floor with no one catching him, Reigns truly starting to get over as a face, and even the Alexander Rusev promo with the on screen debut of Lana.

I was hoping, during the Wyatt family, that when they cut to Erick Rowan that he would just bleat like a sheep. I'd have laughed my ass of. Both my wife and I were impressed with Luke Harper in the promo as well.

When the Shield and the Wyatt's are on the screen, my God, a hell of a lot of young talent at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom