• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

This has quickly become the most intriguing Mania season in years for all the wrong reasons. So much bad press. There's only one solution....

poison.jpg

RayStorm

Mick Foley ‏@realmickfoley
I know that @CMPunk has been frustrated for quite some time. To his great credit, he never let that prevent him from giving less than 100%
Punk hasn't even given 75% since October.

And that is to his great credit!

People, read what is written or tell me that I in my sleep deprived state can't! Foley wittingly or not said that Punk gave less than 100% and that this is to Punks credit

People, read what is written or tell me that I in my sleep deprived state can't! Foley wittingly or not said that Punk gave less than 100% and that this is to Punks credit

Get some sleep, you really CM Punk'd reading that post and writing your response.

#ABA

What is the most obscure old wrestling footage you've been surprised to find on Youtube? This can be from any market.

Probably some stuff on the indie wrestling archive;

http://www.youtube.com/user/indiewrestling

The old Japanese & territory wrestling stuff is pretty readily available if you know where to look, but 90's US indie wrestling and post-WCW NWA? That stuff's pretty obscure and rare.

Special mention for TraderJack's awesome channel full of Memphis TV episodes;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TraderJack641/playlists

*edit, wow, speaking of obscure wrestling on the internet; someone uploaded a TV episode of WWWF Heavyweight Wrestling from 1966!

mouserat

Neo Member

no you're right!

'To his great credit, he never let that prevent him from giving less than 100%'

the correct sentence would read 'he never let that prevent him from giving 100%'

but as it stands Foley is saying that Punk never let his frustration stop him from half-assing it.

LAWL

strobogo

Banned
I wish Zeb went down to NXT with Cesaro. So easy to heel on fucking Florida. The Big Swing on Yoshi from 11/27 was fucking manly.

More cryptic CHIKARA Ashes stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfqXwbC03tQ

It says February 1st backwards
. So something's gonna happen at National Pro-Wrestling Day. Also, the previous video inicated there'd be something happen on May 25th as well.

Just hold King of Trios this year and I might give a damn again.

Link me a great Devitt match please. I'm curious! Thanks.

Gonna watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdkmRaTIQBQ

I was gonna recommend that one anyway - others to search for; Devitt vs Okada, Devitt vs Gedo (ridiculously fun match that the crowd adored), Devitt vs Ibushi vs Low Ki, Devitt & Taguchi vs Ibushi & Omega.

strobogo

Banned
I still think Bo has a lot of improving to do in the ring, but he looks like a 10 year vet next to CJ Parker. Zero idea what anyone sees in him. From Vince to HHH to Dusty to Byron Saxon to anyone at all. He's so bad at...everything.

Xater

More cryptic CHIKARA Ashes stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfqXwbC03tQ

It says February 1st backwards
. So something's gonna happen at National Pro-Wrestling Day. Also, the previous video inicated there'd be something happen on May 25th as well.

Just hold King of Trios this year and I might give a damn again.

I was gonna recommend that one anyway - others to search for; Devitt vs Okada, Devitt vs Gedo (ridiculously fun match that the crowd adored), Devitt vs Ibushi vs Low Ki, Devitt & Taguchi vs Ibushi & Omega.

So Chikara really is coming back? I only ever saw one full show of them but they seemed like fun promotion with their ridiculous booking.

Batigol

Banned
This isn't because I have a huge bro crush on him, but Roman can seriously be the next Goldberg. He's big, athletic, has the look of a superstar and is charismatic without even having to talk

Ditch the two dweebs his with and give him a streak like Billy. Just have him crush jobbers like Christian and Ryder every week

mouserat

Neo Member
Roman Reigns sucks. yeah I said it. he's green as hell, has a couple of cool big impact spots, but his singles matches are invariably snorefests. sure he looks good being protected (pinned once, ever), coming in for choreographed interchanges during 6 man/8 man/10 man tag matches and handicap matches, but the dude is green as hell. plus, it's 2014, who the HELL wants another 'monster' like Goldberg? there aren't enough jobbers to feed to Reigns and when he gets a match with a big star they are just undermined. sure he's new and exciting now but when he becomes the new SuperCena and everyone is sick of REIGNS WINS LOL you'll all be posting Vince McMahon trollface and Cornette fuck this company gifs, mark my words.

strobogo

Banned
Roman Reigns sucks. yeah I said it. he's green as hell, has a couple of cool big impact spots, but his singles matches are invariably snorefests. sure he looks good being protected (pinned once, ever), coming in for choreographed interchanges during 6 man/8 man/10 man tag matches and handicap matches, but the dude is green as hell. plus, it's 2014, who the HELL wants another 'monster' like Goldberg? there aren't enough jobbers to feed to Reigns and when he gets a match with a big star they are just undermined. sure he's new and exciting now but when he becomes the new SuperCena and everyone is sick of REIGNS WINS LOL you'll all be posting Vince McMahon trollface and Cornette fuck this company gifs, mark my words.

I don't think Roman has been given a chance to show if he sucks as a singles guy since he's only had a handful over the past year. One was against Punk, who has not been putting in a lot of effort in months, and his matches with Bryan were good. He's not ready for a WM main event or anything, but they have time to break him away from Shield and work singles matches for a few months against one or both of them before going near the main events. Also, strong bad asses who fuck people up are over in every era because it is awesome.

gurudyne

Belated Fave Five:

Bray Wyatt
Daniel Bryan
Cesaro
Sami Zayn
Emma

HM: BrrrOCK LESnaRRR & Paul Heyman, CM Punk, Tyler Breeze, Bo Dallas, The Shield
Likely to Headline Mania: Archibald Peck

UberTag

Shaves Bray's beard off: "Hey Bray, have you figured out where your hair is? Get it?! Harris?!"
Afterwards, Cena will dress Bray in a miniature IRS outfit complete with pocket protector and transition into making nerd/Big Bang Theory jokes.
Eventually this will transition into a Bo Dallas feud and Cena will bury him as well. Bo will just smile.

strobogo

Banned
Weirdest thing to me about Bray is that despite his size and wrestling in actual clothes, he can put on a 25 minute match at full speed with Bryan and be less sweaty than IRS was after 30 seconds of doing nothing at all.

Toki767

I don't think Roman has been given a chance to show if he sucks as a singles guy since he's only had a handful over the past year. One was against Punk, who has not been putting in a lot of effort in months, and his matches with Bryan were good. He's not ready for a WM main event or anything, but they have time to break him away from Shield and work singles matches for a few months against one or both of them before going near the main events. Also, strong bad asses who fuck people up are over in every era because it is awesome.

As a face, his one on one matches will probably consist of either squashing guys or taking a beating and making a big comeback at the end with 4-5 moves. He's probably not going to be having back and forth matches anytime soon.

strobogo

Banned
Well the good thing is a Shield break up means he can work singles matches with guys he's already familiar with and can help him.

Nebula

Weirdest thing to me about Bray is that despite his size and wrestling in actual clothes, he can put on a 25 minute match at full speed with Bryan and be less sweaty than IRS was after 30 seconds of doing nothing at all.

His match in the Rumble shocked me to be honest. I didn't expect him to be going at that pace with Bryan.

Ithil

His specialty seems to be speed and stamina, two things unusual for a big guy. He's also far more flexible than he looks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
His specialty seems to be speed and stamina, two things unusual for a big guy. He's also far more flexible than he looks.

He also has the best... growls (I guess?) in the business in my opinion. And he's a great seller. Fuck, now I'm depressed they are feeding him to Cena

Showaddy

Weirdest thing to me about Bray is that despite his size and wrestling in actual clothes, he can put on a 25 minute match at full speed with Bryan and be less sweaty than Batista was after 2 minutes of rest stops.

Fixed.

And yeah he may look a bit doughy but his strength, stamina & general conditioning are all good for a guy his size.

Observer Newsletter for Feb. 3 said:
It’s sketchy what happened. Over the last week, ever since Punk’s interview with Ariel Helwani before the Chicago UFC show where he openly brought up that his contract was up in July and didn’t want to say what he was going to do next, several people who know him had noted not to be surprised if he leaves. Two different people said that he was “as good as gone” in July, and one said that they didn’t expect him to even last until July.

There were frustrations with creative and with money, even though he has made great money the last several years. This was not a spur of the moment thing as much as something that had been building. The way we were told was that he couldn’t take it any longer and told McMahon that he was going home. McMahon had been tied up all day since they were rewriting the show, based on what happened the prior night at the Royal Rumble to figure out a way to keep the show under control and not have the audience hijack it again. Punk had been scheduled for an interview on the show to presumably build up a match with Kane on the PPV, which would lead to his planned WrestleMania match with HHH.

Because McMahon was so busy, Punk didn’t see him until 7:30 p.m., when he told him he was leaving. The reason the Kofi Kingston vs. Alberto Del Rio match on Raw went so long is because it came during the period laid out for Punk’s interview and had to go a second segment to cover the time, so the key “money” segments would be in their correct time slots.

The working assumption internally has been for several weeks that Punk was leaving in July and not going to sign a new deal. The belief was that he is not a spender, has saved his money and doesn’t have to work. It was a weird dynamic because he’s one of the few guys on the roster that the company and Vince McMahon knew believed he didn’t need them, and financially, really doesn’t. So they can’t deal with him from the same level as all the other guys who are scared to lose their jobs and spots.

Within the company, the reason was that he came to the realization that he would never be positioned higher than he was. His goal was to main event WrestleMania, as in be in the real main event. He felt that because he didn’t fit the mold of what they think the top star in the company should look like, he would never be the guy and the centerpiece.

welp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom