• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jred2k

Its too bad we have to wear these fucking Peck avatars. The Punk work/shoot debate could be this year's heel/face for Cena.

Kaladin

Probably some stuff on the indie wrestling archive;

http://www.youtube.com/user/indiewrestling

The old Japanese & territory wrestling stuff is pretty readily available if you know where to look, but 90's US indie wrestling and post-WCW NWA? That stuff's pretty obscure and rare.

Special mention for TraderJack's awesome channel full of Memphis TV episodes;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TraderJack641/playlists

*edit, wow, speaking of obscure wrestling on the internet; someone uploaded a TV episode of WWWF Heavyweight Wrestling from 1966!

Subbed.

strobogo

Banned
TNA's roster page has at least 9 people that haven't even been on TV in months. That's like 20%. And 6 of the people on their roster page are announcers.

Aiii

So not worth it
People who think this is a work.

Do you realize?
1. Punk is their second biggest draw?
2. They wouldn't even leave Punk off of TV for more than a week in 2011?
3. The Network is launching this month and Punk not being there is bad for ratings and interest?
4. Mania is coming up and same thing as 3?
5. They have Live events to sell, one headlines Cena/Orton and the other Bryan/Punk?
6. He was smack in the middle of a storyline with Kane and was one of the main builds in the Rumble to set up one of the Mania main event matches?

How does it even make sense this would be a work?

Ithil

Prince Devitt as of last word had yet to sign a new contract with NJPW and is believed to be considering his WWE offer, which we heard was for an immediate main roster position as opposed to a developmental deal.

Triple H must really want Devitt on the roster, normally it's only former WWE stars that get this kind of immediate main roster deal.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
People who think this is a work.

Do you realize?
1. Punk is their second biggest draw?
2. They wouldn't even leave Punk off of TV for more than a week in 2011?
3. The Network is launching this month and Punk not being there is bad for ratings and interest?
4. Mania is coming up and same thing as 3?
5. They have Live events to sell, one headlines Cena/Orton and the other Bryan/Punk?
6. He was smack in the middle of a storyline with Kane and was one of the main builds in the Rumble to set up one of the Mania main event matches?

I actually agree, and like many have also said, I think it's not a work, but they will turn it into a work if he comes back / doesn't leave

Rhaegar

aVnmO.gif

beanman25

Must be some kind of deal for Devitt. Hopefully he stays in NJPW, but I'm not completely opposed to him joining WWE.

Ithil

Man, don't do it Devitt.

I don't see why not, to be honest. Even if he doesn't become successful like Bryan or Punk, he will already have his big main roster contract so he'll make fine money for the next few years.

The biggest incentive for WWE, is the exposure it brings to you worldwide, and also the large amount of extra money you can make over your downside with royalties, merchandise and bonuses.

I know he has a comfortable position in NJPW, but I don't see him ever moving past the upper mid card level he's at, he's not going to win the IWGP title or anything.

Why? I love him in New Japan but what is really left for him to do? Will they be willing to put the title on him?

If the money is good he should consider it.

I don't think he'll ever get an IWGP Heavyweight title run, but he could win the Intercontinental Title at least and is in a good position as one of the top heels in the promotion.

Yeah but I guess a lot can be blamed on Managment and how they have pushed him the last 6 months.

Maybe he does need a break. I just wish it didn't end like this.
I will miss hi. When he cared.

somedevil

I thought you guys would be more up in arms about Punk leaving.
Not a lot of angry people here.

People are probably not angry because the WWE didn't force him out. He just took his ball and went home. He was mentally and physically burnt out. Also, a match versus Triple H isn't being buried on a WrestleMania card.

He wanted the main event before his contract ran out. Realized he wasn't going to get it and left early.

edit: Wonder if AJ Styles will get a call now with punk bailing.

Watched the Great Kojika's House show that Big Japan ran in 2005 - utterly ridiculous, almost the weirdest thing BJW's ever done (doesn't come close to topping their Shakespeare pro-wrestling shows).

Basically, BJW owner Great Kojika also owns a removal company that some of the wrestlers work for - they were hired to dismantle an old TV set of a house, but Kojika got the TV studio to agree to let him set it up in Korakuen Hall and then let a bunch of his wrestlers demolish it.

iwKvNTHj9Pugl.gif

ibqDGI8YaScevO.gif

iH2XSt4gPYuIR.gif

Bonus gif of Mad Man Pondo in the rare act of selling;

ibw0iorZPKb9lP.gif

Ithil

AJ Styles isn't worth anything to WWE, though. He's 36, barely anyone in WWE's fanbase knows who he is, and he can't talk for crap.

I'm really upset if CM Punk is truly gone. :(

But like I've said before, I really wouldn't blame him. Shit is f**ked up and has been for ages.

Punk had a pretty big following, the crowd was always filled with his shirts they must of made a pile of money. Can't believe they'd allow that to walk away.

I hope the age of the fans hijacking the show and crapping on it continues. All they had to do was give D-Bry some respect, a decent run and they wouldn't be in this situation. As it is they just keep making it worse then wonder why there is such a blowback.

UberTag

Sheamus: "I'd like you to all meet me cousin Fergal!"
They should give Devitt a gimmick where he can only say "Meep" like Sheamus' other cousin, Beaker.
Then, all 3 of them can do a comedy sketch together. Sheamus will translate for both Devitt and the muppet.

seammm_480_poster.jpg

Ithil

They should give Devitt a gimmick where he can only say "Meep" like Sheamus' other cousin, Beaker.
Then, all 3 of them can do a comedy sketch together. Sheamus will translate for both Devitt and the muppet.

seammm_480_poster.jpg

They also have Rebecca Knox as Becky Lynch in developmental, that's three Dubliners. Sheamus with his cousins Fergal, Becky and Beaker. What a stable.

Sting shows up: "Look Hunter, the board of directors have lost faith in you, these past few weeks have just shown a lot. The fans have turned on us, there really is no other choice... *starts to tear up* I love you pop. But effective immediately I'm the new boner of Stephanie."

G-Fex

He's just scared of Kane and will come back when Kane goes off to promote See no Evil 2.

they always give bad horror movies sequels.

I can't wait for BnB to promote it.

"You remember that awful movie Kane was in? Well..I GOT SOME BAD NEWS FOR YA"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I dont care where Devitt goes as long as he can keep that fucking theme. One of the best entrance themes of all time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the Great Kojika's House show that Big Japan ran in 2005 - utterly ridiculous, almost the weirdest thing BJW's ever done (doesn't come close to topping their Shakespeare pro-wrestling shows).

Basically, BJW owner Great Kojika also owns a removal company that some of the wrestlers work for - they were hired to dismantle an old TV set of a house, but Kojika got the TV studio to agree to let him set it up in Korakuen Hall and then let a bunch of his wrestlers demolish it.

Missy Hyatt is watching this too, no doubt you're on the Hyatt train but I gotta say, her Twitter is really awesome and she sniffs out a ton of great older stuff.

Rhaegar

Sting comes back, descending from rafters on a cable...

Cena interrupts his opening promo and makes AARP and Denny's senior menu jokes while the crowd screams "Yes, yes, yes". Sting yanks on his cable and ascends back to the rafters without another word.

Sting shows up on NXT the next week as the newest member of the Ascension.

strobogo

Banned
You know what really bugs me about backstage interviews in WWE now? Guys either look at nothing (not the camera, not the announcer, but off in the distance) or look at the interviewer while talking directly to a wrestler instead of looking into the camera. Then I see a Mojo backstage segment where he looks at nothing while speaking to the interviewer, then looking at the camera while speaking directly to Lefort right beside him.

If you're talking to a wrestler, you look in the camera so when they watch, it's like you are looking right at them. If you are talking to the interviewer, you look at the interviewer. If someone is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, you don't speak your lines to that person directly into the camera. Come on, this is basic shit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Notice the uploader!

#ABA Ask Bootaaay Anything

During the "Monday Night Wars" who was WCW's (in your opinion) most valuable wrestler on their roster, from an overall perspective - drawing power, merch, and enjoyable?

EDIT: Ah fuck that top comment

DDP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom