• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Work rate obsession is absolute trash.

Guys like Jake the Snake, Andre, Piper are all absolute legends in the industry because wrestling is not-and has never been-all about workrate.

Too much kowtowing to it mutates the performance.

This doesn't mean work rate isn't important.

People have gotten over on work rate alone too.

These things are all needed in different amounts depending on the person.

Nekofrog

Banned
Who's fault is what? LMAO. Where did I say it's anyone's fault?

i dunno, i've seen people say that they didn't see the big deal about the match because they weren't invested in the people or the story, but that's hardly a valid complaint against the match itself when it's not the performer's fault that people weren't paying attention to the build

hell, i wasn't paying attention to the build and i take nothing away from it

iono, probably mispercieving what you said

cordy

Banned
i dunno, i've seen people say that they didn't see the big deal about the match because they weren't invested in the people or the story, but that's hardly a valid complaint against the match itself when it's not the performer's fault that people weren't paying attention to the build

hell, i wasn't paying attention to the build and i take nothing away from it

iono, probably mispercieving what you said

Yeah you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying it was a great match, it was and I enjoy it. I just wasn't fully invested in the whole story of these characters though and story does matter a lot for an outcome.

It's like the Bryan WM30 win. It was great but if you saw it all happen the outcome would probably be better for you. It's no one's fault it's just circumstances.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You marks ready for Corbin to be IC champ, cause they clearly set that up tonight with the shit kicking he gave Ambrose.

cordy

Banned
You marks ready for Corbin to be IC champ, cause they clearly set that up tonight with the shit kicking he gave Ambrose.

I could see him winning the title in one of those clusterfuck ladder matches. Just not in a single's match against Ambrose. Ambrose is too strong from a booking standpoint for Corbin but that ladder match would be perfect. He could boast about how he beat 6 other guys at WM and be legit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Sure? He's alright, I have nothing against Corbin tbh.

Toki767

Yeah, it was some time in the Attitude Era that he got surgery to reduce his breasts/chest. Wore a shirt or somethin to cover the scar. He talked about it in a video but I cant find it

It was around the time he was feuding with Mankind. Leading up to Mania 15 I think?

cordy

Banned
Yep.

rockgif3_zps39fe181b.gif

Alright everyone! Today, live from the newly constructed GWF WrassleGAF Arena (nicknamed the Z-Pack Zone) comes a GWF Live! House Show! We'll be live at 2:00PM Eastern (1:00PM Central) on www.twitch.tv/sephzilla. Today's house show card will be light and highlight only a couple of the talents currently on the roster. House shows are non-canon and don't mean shit for actual GWF shows.

Today's card:
RBH and DMczaf vs BronsonLee and imbask
Zach vs Sephzilla
Beefy vs Menome

This is going to be a glorified test stream. The reason I'm not doing a bigger card is because I want to keep some of the wrestlers surprises for the proper debut show, and I don't have the full roster done yet.

The Meltz's report on this event:

DAVE MELTZER'S GWF House Show Report and Ratings 02/12/2017

A7EtD92.png

The first show in what promises to be a real competitor for the big wrestling promotions around the globe kicked things off with a House Show filled with questionable booking decisions, but more importantly: a impromptu Ladder match filled with incredible spots, one specifically, that will be talked for months to come. And although the show is non-canon, we can get a sense of who the big players are lining up to be.

1.-RBH and DMczaf vs. BronsonLee and imbask. I wasn't in the Arena when the match started, but I'm seeing reports that the tornado tag failed to deliver after getting the huge responsibility to be the kickoff match of this immense project. Blames are pointed at Lee and Bask respectively, as their in-ring chemistry, or lack thereof, mixed with their laziness, with Lee specifically missing the mark in two spots and accidently hitting the referee, made things difficult for Zaf and fan favorite RBH (more on that later) to get a decent match out of them. N/R

2.-Sephzilla pinned Zach after hitting the Lawmaker. Unsurprisingly, the Commissioner, booker and all-around owner of GWF went over one of its most resilient talents, in spectacular fashion. Zach got to show the fans that his offense is not only versatile but fun to watch. Sadly, the powers that be decided to hardly bury him, allowing Seph to kick out of four, FOUR Zach-to-Zachplexes, arguably one of the most protected finishers back when Zach was putting 5-star classic in the indies. At the end, the two-trick pony Commissioner, who went as far as to go out into the ring with the GWF Heavyweight title around his waist, put Zach down after a third Lawmaker sealed the deal. ***

3.-Beefy pinned Menone with his finisher I guess. Crowd was not into it after the relatively good match that preceded this one. A lot of heat for Menone, seems like the Disaster gimmick might get him to some places as a heel as there seemed to be a particularly good heat going around. Beefy will need to step up as he didn't seem to get any reaction... at all. ** ½

4.-Anth0ny squashed SomewhatGroovy in a no Disqualification match with the Phillips Bomaye. Controversy was present at the Z-Pack Zone when Groovy, one of the enhancement talents, kicked out of the Phillips Bomaye, prompting the ever talented King of Filth Style to immediately hit him with a second one. Sources claim that after the event wrapped up a furious Sephzilla gave the order to indefinitely suspend Groovy, though no official confirmation on this matter has come through as far as I know.**

5.-OwensIsNow def. RBH, Zach, sf2fanatic and couple other guys in a Ladder match. In what is arguably one of the greatest matches in the history of sports entertainment, OwensIsNow made a thunderous impact on GWF after claiming a, for all intends and purposes, useless briefcase in a Ladder match that gave us fantastic spots all around, with the talent fully raising to the occasion making the Z-Pack Arena erupt shouting well deserved ‘This is Awesome' chants with Zach (who was pulling double duty thanks to the thin roster) busting a move alongside a ladder that set the crowd on fire by such tantalizing skills he proved he has both as a wrestler and dancer.

The highlight, however, and the spot that will be talked and discussed for ages, is the Epic Stare down between RBH and Fanatic. With a perfect ladder setup, both wrestlers made their way up and after a few hits, they engaged in a thought provoking incredible luring almost three minute stare down, a special kind of look was exchanged between both wrestlers, one that resonated with the sold out Arena to a point in which one has to stop and reevaluate life as a pro wrestling aficionado and think: this is it, this is as good as it gets. ********************************************

Toki767

I've always been wondering.

Do the non-English commentators have someone in their headset the way the English ones do?

They must sound incredible on commentary just by virtue of Vince not being in their ear.

I got on the Naomi train before it was cool and got off it more started getting on. She's not Ambrose level of frustrating because I know he could do better while Naomi is hampered by her being an "FCW Diva" and not getting the experience or training NXT has provided since. I'm glad she got her "thank you for being in the company for almost eight years, here's a title reign" win it's too bad she's shown little improvement in the ring or on the mic or in personality over the last four years while adding more shitty offsense that someone in the back must like a lot. I would love to know if she ever watches her matches back, actually I'm pretty sure no one from Vince to the agents or really anyone involved in creative or directing actually watches the shows they produce.

You won it in a second dark match at a non canon house show! It's meaningless! Here's what happened when you opened that briefcase

Rollins-case.gif
This was the start of my realization that WWE was going to make Ambrose "wacky" for the kids instead of a serious character.

Yeah, it was some time in the Attitude Era that he got surgery to reduce his breasts/chest. Wore a shirt or somethin to cover the scar. He talked about it in a video but I cant find it

Yeah his famous "Samoan bitch tits" (as they were called back then) surgery though maybe that was more from his use of steroids without an estrogen blocker.

Anth0ny

Work rate obsession is absolute trash.

Guys like Jake the Snake, Andre, Piper are all absolute legends in the industry because wrestling is not-and has never been-all about workrate.

Too much kowtowing to it mutates the performance.

All three of those guys had amazing promos, amazing charisma, amazing presence.

Naomi really doesn't have anything going for her besides that entrance, which is great.

So has "you deserve it" now replaced "this is awesome" as the most annoying shit ever...?

it's the new chant the kids have latched on to

when i was at survivor series i distinctly remember hearing some kid star a "DIS IZ AWSOM" chant when like nothing was even happening in the ring and moments later the whole stadium was chanting it. it pretty much happens once a show if the situation is even remotely entertaining between two stars.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No, they're both pretty awful

Yeah, its much better when crowds are completely silent and dont care about anything :/

Was that Orton v Harper match great or the superplex spot worthy of "this is awesome"? Probably not but at least people were into it and not sitting on their hands.

I had no problems with Naomi getting that "you deserve it" chant. Finn getting that chant was the absolute worst though. "This is awesome" is awful.

Top Bottom