• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

A giant problem is that most dudes in the company are TERRIBLE at reading the crowd.

My favorite heel spot is when a heel goes for a move the crowd is clearly into, hears the pop, and then just says "fuck you I'm not doing it".

klonere

Banned
To that "you deserve it" shit, the problem with a lot of stuff these days is that fans know too much about da biznizz and they say "fuck kayfabe I'm going towards this real shit" and the story's thrown out the window hence why those chants even happen. It's so hard for a wrestler to be a heel these days when fans know so much. Like Owens for example. Even when he took out Jericho people were praising him. Lesnar's also good example. Although he's a heel, he's been presented as a badass so the fans cheer him. He was always getting cheers over everyone until the Ambrose shit happened. After reports came out and Ambrose called him out on the podcast Lesnar actually started to get booed. When the Orton match hit fans were in Orton's corner. When Goldberg beat him fans erupted, when Lesnar got eliminated at the Rumble fans loved it. It didn't have anything to do with him being a heel, it deals with how he's look at in real life these days.

In order for someone like Styles to be booed as a heel, man. You'd literally have to have someone in the company leak a dirtsheet rumor about Styles burying guys who are loved (Nakamura, Owens, Zayn, just massively loved), have Styles completely change his in-ring style up and say it's boring and then cutting an interview saying he's just "out to get a check and doesn't care what the fans think" and you'd really get these "you deserve it" fans booing him.

Basically what I'm saying is that the fans chanting "you deserve it" chants, the cheers to people who aren't really supposed to be cheered given their alignment, all that stuff revolves around how wrestling is these days.

It sucks too.

I'd honestly love for them to bring back some empty arena matches so we can see a match without the crowd and just be invested in the story. Just see how it would play out.

yeah cos real life is far more compelling than whatever the fuck the WWE is trying to present in their fictional wrestling universe. And the WWE is outright encouraging chants that reference match quality fucking JBL saying "I AGREE WITH THE DOUBLE DOUBLE E UNIVERSE MAURO, THIS IS AWESOME!!!" etc.

Genuine stories provoke genuine reactions, see the 4 Horsewomen in NXT, Sami in NXT, Miz/Ziggler, Ambrose/Seth 2014, Jimmy Havoc heel run in PROGRESS, Pete Dunne heel run in OTT, Ryan Smile vs Marty Scrull OTT, the entirety of the CWC, the UKCT.

Crowds can occasionally be problematic (Full Sail, post Mania Raws) but gahdang the fault is 95% on the quality of storytelling in the product not the fucking crowd.

Throwback Thursday to when Becky still had a human-derived hair color and it was still questionable if Alexa could pass wellness

gBnjTLf.png

I love them both.

Zach

They are professionals, working in a professional environment. They have both known each other for a very long time - tied together since the beginning of Bryan's run in the company. They at the very least have a good professional working relationship, if not actual friends. I very much doubt that The Miz went so off on Bryan that it would cause him distress or that The Miz did so with the intent of upsetting Bryan.

Oh, cool. I hope you're right.

So then it's just whatever.

Zach

Honestly though, a crowd is usually a bit part of the story though. You take out the crowd and I think you take out a lot of the emotion from bigger parts of a match. For example; Rock/Hogan at WM18 went next level because of the crowd

Jesus Christ, that was great fun. And JR killed it there at the end.

Syder

I have no problem with 'You Deserve It!' when the person deserves it. Chanting it at Naomi and Bayley is dumb. Bray has been with the company since 2009, been part of the botched Nexus angle, gone through two significant burials (Cena & Taker), and hadn't held a singles title until a 4 days ago. He deserves it, not because of loyalty but because he's still over as fuck with an awesome gimmick and can put on matches with fantastic storytelling.

Honestly though, a crowd is usually a bit part of the story though. You take out the crowd and I think you take out a lot of the emotion from bigger parts of a match. For example; Rock/Hogan at WM18 went next level because of the crowd
Rock/Hogan is nothing without the crowd. Rock and Hogan worked those marks beautifully tho
Bland and not believable? I couldn't describe your gimmick better zach
Sometimes I'm convinced Data West/Zach is a shoot.

Zach

You loved WCW. Home to the worst main events on American soil.

But it fit into the storyline, you see?!

(WCW had a lot of bad things going for it at all times. I just like it more than WWF/E, which, in my opinion, has a higher crap-to-fun ratio. But F me for liking what I like, right, Recall, you cunt-faced cunt?!)

(xoxo.)

Recall

Hot crowds are amazing, - crowd that chants at everything isn't a hot crowd. Cheering and jeering, popping and reacting are fun but shouting this is awesome doesn't make for a hot crowd.

Zach

I have no problem with 'You Deserve It!' when the person deserves it. Chanting it at Naomi and Bayley is dumb. Bray has been with the company since 2009, been part of the botched Nexus angle, gone through two significant burials (Cena & Taker), and hadn't held a singles title until a 4 days ago. He deserves it, not because of loyalty but because he's still over as fuck with an awesome gimmick and can put on matches with fantastic storytelling.

Mhm mhm. So you're saying the real problem is overkill? Sure. Yes. Mhm. Yes.

Recall

But it fit into the storyline, you see?!

(WCW had a lot of bad things going for it at all times. I just like it more than WWF/E, which, in my opinion, has a higher crap-to-fun ratio. But F me for liking what I like, right, Recall, you cunt-faced cunt?!)

(xoxo.)

I love that you love the things you love.

We are cunt buddies...

Wait...

Buddies.

Zach

Has there been a tag team in wrestling called The Marks or The Smarks or The Smart Marks? I am shocked if nah. Like, I bet those Young Buck guys are sad they didn't think of such a thing.

Sephzilla, get in here! Pencil in "The Smart Marks" for me and Data West in the GWF.

Recall

Has there been a tag team in wrestling called The Marks or The Smarks or The Smart Marks? I am shocked if nah. Like, I bet those Young Buck guys are sad they didn't think of such a thing.

Sephzilla, get in here! Pencil in "The Smart Marks" for me and Data West in the GWF.

Can I be your manager?

I work for sandwiches and fresh towels.

Hasney

Are you auditioning for TNA creative?

Zach and Data vs OwensIsNow and Pikma. The feud of the marks.

Recall

Sephzilla, get in here! Pencil in "Cunt Buddies" for me and Recall in the GWF.

Top rope muff-diver into the springboard golden shower. That's our finish.

We always miss it though and our matches always end with me getting rolled up due to you yelling at me...

cordy

Banned

Yeah the crowd is part of the story in most cases. In other cases though it wouldn't matter if the crowd's not reacting. At the end of the day though, it would be put to the performers to deal without a crowd. The more experienced guys could pull it off, the lesser ones would look like they're doing some Performance Center drills. Rock/Hogan's the supreme example of how the crowd influences a match. A Mojo Rawley match is an example of one that wouldn't matter in most cases.
The reason worked shoot stuff is and was popular and wrestling has an audience at all is that the lines between reality and kayfabe are blurred. People like it and they're not going to go out of their way to stop it because it keeps people invested in characters and performers.

Indeed.
Crowds can occasionally be problematic (Full Sail, post Mania Raws) but gahdang the fault is 95% on the quality of storytelling in the product not the fucking crowd.

When AJ Styles says he needs to get better on getting booed by the crowd, who's fault do you say it is?

AJ's?

Lothar

Banned

Bray is a heel. Any heel who gets a "You Deserve It" chant should have his match overturned or lose the title the next night.

klonere

Banned
Any fans of Ohara here?

owJvkyR.gif

Been incredibly impressed with his GHC Jr. title matches this year, he's so different from pretty much all the other jr's out there.

He's great, love him. Somehow keeping an impossibly depleted division interesting, over and relevant.

When AJ Styles says he needs to get better on getting booed by the crowd, who's fault do you say it is?

AJ's?

Creative's.

Because AJ is in the same spot that every indie dude has been in that Cena feud they've run a billion times. And you know what, all the other guys in AJ's position also got cheered. Because that feud archetype is designed to have at least a certain section of the crowd (hardcores) cheer the indie guy. AJ is just so fucking good, he's got a far bigger portion of the crowd invested in him in a positive manner.

Top Bottom