• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Zach

Playing WCW/NWO Revenge and Roddy Piper's taunt of hopping on one leg with his head cocked to one side is the pinnacle of sports entertainment.

The computer spammed the shit out of the taunt then destroyed me with his punch combo special that ends in the super eye poke. It was one hell of an 8 man gauntlet elimination match.

Yes!

And now all of the other #marks chant it for 3 star matches to say "us too! we are also watching a special match!"

Hope you're proud of yourself, Zach

I and I alone was cursed to be the tastemaker of the wrestling world.

klonere

Banned
The best today? No one. When I watch modern wrassle, it's either WWE or WWE, Jr. and dudes don't even do promos. They're all just reciting memorized lines.

[sings "Hem of Your Garment"]

Miz/Bryan on Talking Smack was the last promo that really got me fired up. It could have been on any 80s territory show or early 90s WWF.

But its one of a very very select few promos I'd put up there. Especially with corny ass John Cena leading the charge for the supposed standard of modern WWE promos.

I really really hate Cena promos.

Recall

I've hated the "This is awesome" chant since TNA popularised it in 2005.

It plagued the indies for eons until it found its festering self to WWE land. It's a lame replacement for actually cheering the wrestler you want to win. American wrestling has terrible commentary and crowds but over the last 5 years it's become very easy to block out the white noise.

Hasney

There's nothing wrong with this is awesome if it actually is. Cheering for "who you want to win" is weird, because I usually don't care who does win as long as the match and story is well told.

"I hope we all have a great time" isn't a great chant.

Zach

I still find The Miz Promo to be whatever at best, mean-spirited and unnecessary at worst (if it was actually somehow some way unscripted and/or not approved by Dan Bryo). But that's just me. I guess it's more compelling than what you guys are accustomed to on 2017 RAW IS WAR.

Re: THIS IS AWESOME: I'm amazed that it has legs. It seems like a one-time thing before it is totally stale and contrived. Like, only children should be dumb enough to be chanting that now. We've heard it a million times. Most of the time nothing awesome has happened.

But anyway.

Sephzilla

Miz's talking smack moment was great because it was true and he took Daniel Bryan's perspective on Miz's wrestling and nuked it from fucking orbit

Oh God, Alvarez and Meltzer are wondering if AJ wins the battle royal but Orton takes it back because he now wants to main event so Shane tells AJ his win doesn't count and that leads to their feud.

Mahonay

Banned
No better crowd than mid 90s japan. People losing Thier shit over lariats and suplexes
Weirdly, Smackdown crowds have been really good lately for reacting and popping for pretty simple wrestling moves. Buying into the impact of the moves. Makes is more enjoyable to watch for me personally.

Just need to cut out the dumb ass chants.

No better crowd than mid 90s japan. People losing Thier shit over lariats and suplexes

I like Japanese wrestling crowds

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*claps*

*foot stomping*

WRESTLER'S NAME! WRESTLER'S NAME! WRESTLER'S NAME! WRESTLER'S NAME!

*Random man or woman calling out a wrestler's name*

*Occasional catchphrase*

klonere

Banned
I still find The Miz Promo to be whatever at best, mean-spirited and unnecessary at worst (if it was actually somehow some way unscripted and/or not approved by Dan Bryo). But that's just me. I guess it's more compelling than what you guys are accustomed to on 2017 RAW IS WAR.

Re: THIS IS AWESOME: I'm amazed that it has legs. It seems like a one-time thing before it is totally stale and contrived. Like, only children should be dumb enough to be chanting that now. We've heard it a million times. Most of the time nothing awesome has happened.

But anyway.

This is...an odd take. He was being a bad guy. He was doing his job. He was making himself hated. And the best part is he was telling half-truths.

I like Japanese wrestling crowds

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*claps*

*foot stomping*

WRESTLER'S NAME! WRESTLER'S NAME! WRESTLER'S NAME! WRESTLER'S NAME!

*Random man or woman calling out a wrestler's name*

*Occasional catchphrase*

Actually, yeah a hot Japanese crowd in any era is the best crowd. Sorry EuroGraps.

Sephzilla

I don't think Miz is a bad wrestler, honestly. And I think he's actually fairly decent. His match with Ziggler of all people was surprisingly good and he doesn't exactly put out stinker matches anymore either. I think it's more that he is safe and he also knows his limitations. He also still interacts with the mid-card mostly which doesn't help.

He's also the best heel character in WWE today

klonere

Banned
It's hard for me to enjoy bad wrestlers wrestling badly. Even if it fits into the storyline.

I've found Bryan Alvarez's GAF account.

The Miz is a good wrestling man. His series with Ziggler was chock full of excellent matches. His whole IC run were great throwback, well-executed straight face/heel sports entertainment.

Mahonay

Banned
I don't think Miz is a bad wrestler, honestly. And I think he's actually fairly decent. His match with Ziggler of all people was surprisingly good and he doesn't exactly put out stinker matches anymore either. I think it's more that he is safe and he also knows his limitations.
He's a legitimately good worker now. Feels like it came out of nowhere.

Strax

I'm calling Strax out.

To a nice steak dinner, just the two of us.

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

Zach

This is...an odd take. He was being a bad guy. He was doing his job. He was making himself hated. And the best part is he was telling half-truths.

My understanding is that Daniel Bryan is very upset with not being able to wrestling. People such as Steven Austin have talked about how it took years to get over not wrestling anymore. I don't get off on making real-life people depressed when I'm watching wrestling. That's not necessary to be a bad guy.

Is that really that weird? Not rhetorical. I'm asking.

Sephzilla

Bryan kind of had it coming, though. He was pretty directly slamming Miz's wrestling style, which is kind of by extension slamming his work ethic. Bryan was totally in a "glass houses" situation there because his own style and work ethic is exactly why he can't wrestle anymore and Miz simply called that out.

Zach

I actually don't think The Miz is a bad wrestler as much as I find him to be bland and not believable. Which is worse.

cordy

Banned
To that "you deserve it" shit, the problem with a lot of stuff these days is that fans know too much about da biznizz and they say "fuck kayfabe I'm going towards this real shit" and the story's thrown out the window hence why those chants even happen. It's so hard for a wrestler to be a heel these days when fans know so much. Like Owens for example. Even when he took out Jericho people were praising him. Lesnar's also good example. Although he's a heel, he's been presented as a badass so the fans cheer him. He was always getting cheers over everyone until the Ambrose shit happened. After reports came out and Ambrose called him out on the podcast Lesnar actually started to get booed. When the Orton match hit fans were in Orton's corner. When Goldberg beat him fans erupted, when Lesnar got eliminated at the Rumble fans loved it. It didn't have anything to do with him being a heel, it deals with how he's look at in real life these days.

In order for someone like Styles to be booed as a heel, man. You'd literally have to have someone in the company leak a dirtsheet rumor about Styles burying guys who are loved (Nakamura, Owens, Zayn, just massively loved), have Styles completely change his in-ring style up and say it's boring and then cutting an interview saying he's just "out to get a check and doesn't care what the fans think" and you'd really get these "you deserve it" fans booing him.

Basically what I'm saying is that the fans chanting "you deserve it" chants, the cheers to people who aren't really supposed to be cheered given their alignment, all that stuff revolves around how wrestling is these days.

It sucks too.

I'd honestly love for them to bring back some empty arena matches so we can see a match without the crowd and just be invested in the story. Just see how it would play out.

klonere

Banned
My understanding is that Daniel Bryan is very upset with not being able to wrestling. People such as Steven Austin have talked about how it took years to get over not wrestling anymore. I don't get off on making real-life people depressed when I'm watching wrestling. That's not necessary to be a bad guy.

Is that really that weird? Not rhetorical. I'm asking.

They are professionals, working in a professional environment. They have both known each other for a very long time - tied together since the beginning of Bryan's run in the company. They at the very least have a good professional working relationship, if not actual friends. I very much doubt that The Miz went so off on Bryan that it would cause him distress or that The Miz did so with the intent of upsetting Bryan.

Sephzilla

To that "you deserve it" shit, the problem with a lot of stuff these days is that fans know too much about da biznizz and they say "fuck kayfabe I'm going towards this real shit" and the story's thrown out the window hence why those chants even happen. It's so hard for a wrestler to be a heel these days when fans know so much. Like Owens for example. Even when he took out Jericho people were praising him. Lesnar's also good example. Although he's a heel, he's been presented as a badass so the fans cheer him. He was always getting cheers over everyone until the Ambrose shit happened. After reports came out and Ambrose called him out on the podcast Lesnar actually started to get booed. When the Orton match hit fans were in Orton's corner. When Goldberg beat him fans erupted, when Lesnar got eliminated at the Rumble fans loved it. It didn't have anything to do with him being a heel, it deals with how he's look at in real life these days.

In order for someone like Styles to be booed as a heel, man. You'd literally have to have someone in the company leak a dirtsheet rumor about Styles burying guys who are loved (Nakamura, Owens, Zayn, just massively loved), have Styles completely change his in-ring style up and say it's boring and then cutting an interview saying he's just "out to get a check and doesn't care what the fans think" and you'd really get these "you deserve it" fans booing him.

Basically what I'm saying is that the fans chanting "you deserve it" chants, the cheers to people who aren't really supposed to be cheered given their alignment, all that stuff revolves around how wrestling is these days.

It sucks too.

I'd honestly love for them to bring back some empty arena matches so we can see a match without the crowd and just be invested in the story. Just see how it would play out.

Honestly though, a crowd is usually a bit part of the story though. You take out the crowd and I think you take out a lot of the emotion from bigger parts of a match. For example; Rock/Hogan at WM18 went next level because of the crowd

Mahonay

Banned
They are professionals, working in a professional environment. They have both known each other for a very long time - tied together since the beginning of Bryan's run in the company. They at the very least have a good professional working relationship, if not actual friends. I very much doubt that The Miz went so off on Bryan that it would cause him distress or that The Miz did so with the intent of upsetting Bryan.
This.

Syder

They should have pulled the trigger on Taker/Sting at WM31. Taker could still decently go at that point and Sting had enough in the tank too.

Taker and Sting finally being on the same WM card and not against each other was a colossal fuck up.
but how else would we know that WWE beat WCW?

I don't think Miz is a bad wrestler, honestly. And I think he's actually fairly decent. His match with Ziggler of all people was surprisingly good and he doesn't exactly put out stinker matches anymore either. I think it's more that he is safe and he also knows his limitations. He also still interacts with the mid-card mostly which doesn't help.

He's also the best heel character in WWE today

I'd love to see Miz vs AJ for the title.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Throwback Thursday to when Becky still had a human-derived hair color and it was still questionable if Alexa could pass wellness

gBnjTLf.png

It sucks too.

The reason worked shoot stuff is and was popular and wrestling has an audience at all is that the lines between reality and kayfabe are blurred. People like it and they're not going to go out of their way to stop it because it keeps people invested in characters and performers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nobody shilled for Wyatt's theme some pages ago either btw, you are all a bunch of horrible people.

Top Bottom