• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Zach

You're a good guy with impeccable taste, Zach. Terriers is top-tier television, despite the awful name and marketing at the time.

Hate that it only had one season, but that's a damn-near perfect season. I need to rewatch it.
Heck yeah, dude. This is my third watch. First episode is still great.

Everyone watch Terriers.

Haven't heard of any of these outside of the Hansen book....and that's only in passing. Are any of these still in print?

Yep, JJ's, Hansen's & Lou's are available from Crowbar Press in print or ebook and The Destroyer's book is available on amazon - the only one that's difficult to find is Gary Hart's, as it's long out of print and goes for a fair bit of money. There's a PDF version floating around if you google it, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He's not even a full heel since he loves Gallagher and hates Samson. But he sticks to his character which is great.

He just has really strong opinions on various gimmicks for some reason.

Which involves losing his fucking mind at Eva Marie and Mandy Rose. The dynamic is a little weird on Raw since he doesn't seem to be allowed to shit on Cole very much and mostly just shits on Byron, but everyone shits on Byron.

Kaladin

Consistency is what makes a good heel commentator for sure. Like when Heenan still hated Hogan even after he turned nWo and even got a few "I told you so's" in. Now that I think of it, I hear a lot of Heenan in Graves delivery.

Matt and Jeff are doing a talegate party for evolve Mania weekend

MoreThanMania.com presents
The Hardy #BrokenTailgate Party
Sunday, April 2nd, 2017
11am - 6pm
Outside of Saddle Up
100 N. Orange Avenue
Orlando, FL

$30 Admission includes:

-Admission to the Hardy #BrokenTailgate Party from 10am-6pm
-BBQ Meal with a non-alcoholic drink
-Full bar will be available at an additional cost
-American Combat Wrestling (ACW) event at 11am
-Full Impact Pro Wrestling (FIP) event at 2pm
-Plus other surprises!

Tickets will be on sale at www.TicketFly.com soon.

The $30 is for a GA admission to ACW and FIP. You can upgrade to a ringside seat for an additional $10.

Broken Autograph Session - Broken Matt Hardy, Brother Nero, Rebecca Hardy & Señor Benjamin with Maxel will be available for autographs!

The signing and picture opportunity will be noon-5pm (not included with #BrokenTailgate ticket. You DO NOT need to purchase a tailgate ticket in order to attend the autograph session)

-Matt Hardy & Brother Nero - $40 each (includes 8x10 & photo opp)
-Rebecca Hardy & Señor Benjamin with Maxel - $20 each (includes 8x10 & photo opp)
-Broken Package - Matt Hardy, Brother Nero, Rebecca Hardy & Señor Benjamin with Maxel - $99 (includes four 8x10's & four photo opps)

Already confirmed for the FIP card are:

-FIP World Heavyweight Champion Fred Yehi
-FIP Tag Team Champions The Hooligans
-FIP Florida Heritage Champion Martin Stone
-AR Fox
-Sami Callihan
-Austin Theory
-Jason Cade
-Anthony Henry with Amber Young
-Sammy Guevara
Jon Davis
-Aria Blake
-Plus many more to be added!!!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its funny how all of the wrestlers on Jericho's podcast already read all of his book and know all of the funny stories he has.

I recently read:

51bcFFOh1-L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I highly recommend it

Consistency is what makes a good heel commentator for sure. Like when Heenan still hated Hogan even after he turned nWo and even got a few "I told you so's" in. Now that I think of it, I hear a lot of Heenan in Graves delivery.
That's why I can't support any of these so called heel commentators today. Jbl should downright hate Cena for ending his title reign but he kisses his ass all of the time. He'll go full blown out heel on Ellsworth but can't keep it up for the entire 2 or 3 hours without slipping.

Corey,is even less consistent and tries too hard at times.

I hated that as soon as king was finding his stride again, they sent him to the pre show and now to just special guest role.

Bobby and king were awesome about keeping that heel attitude. Even when Hart became a heel King still couldn't pull himself to outside cheer for hart because of their bad blood but he supported some of the heel stuff he did.

Aries is really killing it, he only slips up when it comes to Jack G.

"Dean Ambrose is kinda like, well he doesn't have anything for Wrestlemania at this point. I suppose they could do something for the IC title, I mean like a multiple person match or something, but y'know we'll see. There's already a lot of matches on the card and there's the battle royal and everything, but they could still add something. He may be subjected to being on the pre-show at this rate unless he's in that battle royal"

Interesting, and people were convinced him with the IC title was a fake drop down the card like Roman Reigns was.

That's why I can't support any of these so called heel commentators today. Jbl should downright hate Cena for ending his title reign but he kisses his ass all of the time. He'll go full blown out heel on Ellsworth but can't keep it up for the entire 2 or 3 hours without slipping.

I hated that as soon as king was finding his stride again, they sent him to the pre show and now to just special guest role.

Bobby and king were awesome about keeping that heel attitude. Even when Hart became a heel King still couldn't pull himself to outside cheer for hart because of their bad blood but he supported some of the heel stuff he did.

King is awful now, though. You can hear the cogs turning as he tries to find jokes, and he's always a few seconds behind anything important. It's very awkward.

Kaladin

Cory is much more consistent on NXT than on Raw, where I think he's still trying to find his footing.

Angry Grimace

Cory is much more consistent on NXT than on Raw, where I think he's still trying to find his footing.

It's because he interacts with Tom Phillips a lot more than he interacts with Michael Cole. His role on Raw is mostly just shitting on Byron's delusional shit, but he doesn't actively challenge Cole very often.

Cole's not going to be around much longer anyways though. The rumor is that he wants to move into production and that presumably means Philips will move to play-by-play on either SD or Raw.

Tagyhag

Cena's salute reminded me of a question I had. During his mid-2000's era, did he ever catch any flak for pretty much pretending to be a marine?

Like I know Randy turned down the role in The Marine because of his discharge, but I just thought it was weird how much they pushed Cena into that kind of role.

Kaladin

It's because he interacts with Tom Phillips a lot more than he interacts with Michael Cole. His role on Raw is mostly just shitting on Byron's delusional shit, but he doesn't actively challenge Cole very often.

Cole's not going to be around much longer anyways though. The rumor is that he wants to move into production and that presumably means Philips will move to play-by-play on either SD or Raw.

Good, with as much talent as they have in the booth now, they don't need him there.

Save that pop of him leaving for Raw after Mania though. It would be huge.

Toki767

Cole should really be the one on the headset telling announcers what to say, not Vince.

Angry Grimace

Good, with as much talent as they have in the booth now, they don't need him there.

Save that pop of him leaving for Raw after Mania though. It would be huge.

They should bring back heel Cole for a night just to fuck with everyone and then he quits at the end of the episode.

MG310

He's not even a full heel since he loves Gallagher and hates Samson. But he sticks to his character which is great.

Definitely - he seems 100% like a guy who would call someone out for being a poseur so his equal hatred of headbanging Becky Lynch and then Elias Samson made perfect sense.

Anth0ny

Heenan being right about Hogan all along was one of the greatest moments in the history of our sport.

We already have the commentary dream team of Mauro and Corey. It should be those two on every show. Everyone else who does commentary for WWE is actual human garbage.

Sephzilla

I thought Graves was really boring as fuck as a wrestler, so I was shocked at how amazing he ended up being as an announcer. Him and Miz would both be amazing heel announcers.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been watching all of the Nitros from 1998 and reading this current line of discussion brought into focus something that I've been thinking about on and off for almost 20 years now.

WCW has two heel commentators on their Nitro broadcast booth, but both of them hate the NWO so much that it basically turned them 100% face.

Nitro doesn't get a real heel commentator again until Mark Madden.

Zach

Which one of you sent me a PlayStation Friendz request? Name is AKAbunchofnumbers. I generally do not play online multiplayer.

Tagyhag

Heenan being right about Hogan all along was one of the greatest moments in the history of our sport.

We already have the commentary dream team of Mauro and Corey. It should be those two on every show. Everyone else who does commentary for WWE is actual human garbage.

That'd be too good unfortunately, and besides, if Cole is out of the picture, Vince's full attention will be to Mauro's ear.

Cole isn't a bad commentator when Vince isn't on his ass, just look at the UK Championship.

sora87

Tyler Bate has such a great dropkick, and that title really is the best looking belt possibly ever.

Graves little farewell video was great, him and phillips were the best commentator duo since bobby heenan and gorilla monsoon.

Angry Grimace

Also I was just watching some random 2010 YouTube segment with Heel Cole where he has this whole group of security guards to protect him from Daniel Bryan (since his heel turn was based around hating on Daniel Bryan for some reason) and I noticed one of the security guards is way shorter than the others. Because its Johnny Gargano trying his hardest to look tough.

Zach

I thought Graves was really boring as fuck as a wrestler, so I was shocked at how amazing he ended up being as an announcer. Him and Miz would both be amazing heel announcers.
I thought Graves was pretty lame when I saw him wrestle once or twice. But he's good as a commentator.

The Miz would probably end up being bad, but at least I wouldn't have to see him wrestle. >_>

I've been watching all of the Nitros from 1998 and reading this current line of discussion brought into focus something that I've been thinking about on and off for almost 20 years now.

WCW has two heel commentators on their Nitro broadcast booth, but both of them hate the NWO so much that it basically turned them 100% face.

Nitro doesn't get a real heel commentator again until Mark Madden.
Heenan and Zbyszko still consistently heeled it up. It just depended on who was involved in each match, etc. etc.

Top Bottom