• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Heel Cole is a great character. Full stop.

You can't have a heel play by play guy though, it messes up the broadcast. Even the vile Mr. McMahon when he'd do play by play a few times in 1998 would resort back to his announcer voice and only scream at Austin or whatever at the end of the match when he finally broke down. Heel Cole was in full heel mode 100% of the time.

korly

I recently read:

51bcFFOh1-L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I highly recommend it

This book is wonderful if for nothing other than the way they portray the NWA as straight up gangsters.

Anth0ny

all I ask for with wrestling commentary:

-sound like an actual real natural human being when you talk
-have logic behind what you say. if you're the heel commentator, be a heel. if you're the play by play, try to be unbiased. don't flip flop back and forth for no reason.
-you can bust balls as long as it's funny (heenan, lawler) and not cringe worthy (saxton, lawler)

cole, jbl, saxton and otunga don't pass the above test.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I thought Graves was pretty lame when I saw him wrestle once or twice. But he's good as a commentator.

The Miz would probably end up being bad, but at least I wouldn't have to see him wrestle. >_>

Heenan and Zbyszko still consistently heeled it up. It just depended on who was involved in each match, etc. etc.

Heenan got SAWFT when Goldberg showed up. Larry did do a bit better, I agree, but when you realize that only 30 minutes if you're lucky of a Nitro broadcast featured non NWO talent...Also Larry hated the flock, the number two heel stable most of the time, because they were a bunch of sheeple.

Sephzilla

Monsoon and Heenan will forever be the best face/heel announcer duo in history though. Those guys nailed it. Monsoon was a perfect face play by play announcer and Heenan was a perfect troll-ish heel announcer. And they had the added benefit of playing up the "bickering couple" aspect of their duo. They sounded natural. They were consistent as characters. They weren't afraid to bust each others balls at times.

Monsoon and Heenan will forever be the best face/heel announcer duo in history though. Those guys nailed it. Monsoon was a perfect face play by play announcer and Heenan was a perfect troll-ish heel announcer. And they had the added benefit of playing up the "bickering couple" aspect of their duo.

One of my favourite things about Bobby was that his put downs of the faces and praise for the heels was so obviously over the top and self serving - too many heel announcers point out actual faults with the guys they're criticising, which is absurd.

Also, agreed. Heenan & Gorilla will never be topped. Best solo play by play though? Gotta go with Gordon Solie.

all I ask for with wrestling commentary:

-sound like an actual real natural human being when you talk
-have logic behind what you say. if you're the heel commentator, be a heel. if you're the play by play, try to be unbiased. don't flip flop back and forth for no reason.
-you can bust balls as long as it's funny (heenan, lawler) and not cringe worthy (saxton, lawler)

cole, jbl, saxton and otunga don't pass the above test.

Not have Vince in their ear

Sephzilla

One of my favourite things about Bobby was that his put downs of the faces and praise for the heels was so obviously over the top and self serving - too many heel announcers point out actual faults with the guys they're criticising, which is absurd.

Also, agreed. Heenan & Gorilla will never be topped. Best solo play by play though? Gotta go with Gordon Solie.

yeah. Heenan's shit was basically forum troll level bait. His job was to get the audience to scream at him because he was clearly wrong. And he did that perfectly. Heenan was basically putting over faces indirectly. Announcers who point out actual faults with the face wrestlers are doing the complete opposite of what they should be doing.

Anth0ny

Thank you.

Like I love Austin Aries and I'm sure it's not his idea but him going after cruiserweight matches and asking a guy "Some say you have the charisma of a brick wall, what do you have to say about that?" to a dude who really doesn't have that much charisma is awful.

Not have Vince in their ear

this is absolutely key, too :p

Heel Cole is a great character. Full stop.

You can't have a heel play by play guy though, it messes up the broadcast. Even the vile Mr. McMahon when he'd do play by play a few times in 1998 would resort back to his announcer voice and only scream at Austin or whatever at the end of the match when he finally broke down. Heel Cole was in full heel mode 100% of the time.
I think I need to pull out the tapes so I can watch those first few seasons of nxt with Cole being full troll.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
yeah. Heenan's shit was basically forum troll level bait. His job was to get the audience to scream at him because he was clearly wrong. And he did that perfectly. Heenan was basically putting over faces indirectly. Announcers who point out actual faults with the face wrestlers are doing the complete opposite of what they should be doing.
I dunno. Ventura was usually right about Hogan doing chickenshit stuff but it never struck me at the time.

Nekofrog

Banned
Hoping that Seth takes his recovery and rehabilitation seriously and doesn't come back for wrestlemania not at 100% just because it's wrestlemania.

For those talking about when Punk deserved to be in the main event of Mania.. it wasn't Wrestlemania 29 in NJ. He deserved it in Atlanta at WM27. The Straight Edge Society was getting so much heat, and he was so great in that Rumble before that card.

Punk at WM27 deserved it so much more than Miz at WM33.

I've been impressed by the team of Kelly/Corino in NJPW, not so much ROH with the stupid Mr. Wrestling III gimmick. Only problem is that they need to better know the move names.

I'm interested to see how Don Callis does on Sunday.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hoping that Seth takes his recovery and rehabilitation seriously and doesn't come back for wrestlemania not at 100% just because it's wrestlemania.

Seth is coming back for WrestleMania 100% because its WrestleMania. Did you see the dude's rehab documentary? Dude was literally almost in tears at having to do press stuff for WM without being in it. There's basically no way he's missing this show.

StarrCade 97 is peak Cunt Hogan. Biggest storyline in WCW, year long build. But no dude, I gotta keep my heat brother. So I talked to Stinger dude, and we decided not to fast count, jack. Don't bother checking with him, man, the Hulkster doesn't lie brother.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I wonder if Seth will even keep up the pedigree given the injury.

Given how awful Seth did it after the first injury, I can't see Triple H being happy to job to whatever it looks like after a second one.

he generally needed a new finisher when he stopped being an authority guy

number47

punk was never the main event at Mania. but had the longest reign in modern day. how justified is his anger? he should remove that chip from his shoulder.

Hasney

punk was never the main event at Mania. but had the longest reign in modern day. how justified is his anger? he should remove that chip from his shoulder.

Well if you don't like what's going on, quit. He seems at peace now, so he did the right thing.

Nekofrog

Banned
Seth is coming back for WrestleMania 100% because its WrestleMania. Did you see the dude's rehab documentary? Dude was literally almost in tears at having to do press stuff for WM without being in it. There's basically no way he's missing this show.

Hopefully the company will have gotta health as number one and day no if he's not totally healed

Hopefully he gets totally healed

Lothar

Banned

Part timers were put higher than him in the biggest show, so justified. Owens and Jericho should feel the same way if Goldberg vs Lesnar is the main event.

Angry Grimace

Hopefully the company will have gotta health as number one and day no if he's not totally healed

Hopefully he gets totally healed

I think the plan is as follows:

Continue the build for the match. If Rollins is good to go on the Raw before Mania, push it forward. If he's not, have Joe "injure" his knee more so that the match doesn't go down and have Rollins feud with Joe after WM and put the HHH confrontation on the shelf until SummerSlam.

The other option is to book it as a tag match with Balor or something so that Rollins doesn't have to take as many bumps, e.g. Rollins/Balor v. Joe/HHH

Angry Grimace

Besides, if Raw needs babyfaces, they should just turn Rusev babyface.

I think I'm done with these huge open world games for the next few years. The time commitment is just too damn much when there's more bad in them then there is if I played 5-10 games like RE7 instead.

miserable

StarrCade 97 is peak Cunt Hogan. Biggest storyline in WCW, year long build. But no dude, I gotta keep my heat brother. So I talked to Stinger dude, and we decided not to fast count, jack. Don't bother checking with him, man, the Hulkster doesn't lie brother.

This made me laugh brother!

Did you also know that Andre died 3 days after I beat him at the Superdome brother? Here, I have his boots in my garage which he gave to me after the match jackdude.

Top Bottom