• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

I would rather they just bring Asuka up by having her drop the belt herself and then a tournament or something happens to decide the new champ. Cross vs Moon is the finals, toss the belt at one of them.

I like Moon but for the love of god all I've seen of her is that she's some happy babyface which does not fit her look at all.

Undefeated streaks aren't a sustainable way to keep someone over unless you plan on just having them lose for the first time when they're about to retire.

I do not want Asuka coming on on Smackdown and just beating everyone all the time for a lengthy period of time, it will kill the credibility of the division and hurt Asuka in the long run. She needs to look beatable, she can be top tier without being unbeatable.

I still think she'd be better served on Raw especially if/when Sasha turns heel.

Ember Moon t me is easily the best wrestler but the worst character on NXT... her horrid character drops her down below Royce, Kay and Cross for me on the NXT Women's ranking system, and it is only the fact that she is a metric fuckton better than Liv Morgan in the ring that I don't put Moon below her as well.

Fox318

I may go back and watch that actually. I really love the guy. Like, a lot of times he's better than the wrestling. >_>
It is an underappreciated art that is sorely lacking today.

Its both the fault of the booking and the fault of the refs.

When a heel breaks a rule or a baby face loses there is never any heat on the wrestler, it's on the booker.

People get more mad at Vince than they do the heel. Part of that is the story of wrestling for the past 18 years has been the McMahons putting themselves over and that logic has crept into match psychology.

Bill Watts had a point to adding some rules so when heels broke them you got pissed and when a baby face did it to a heel there was a pop.

DMczaf

Fox318

Yeah, I kinda agree with Vince McMahon the more I watch: WWE isn't even wrestling.
The million dollar question to Vince would be this:

Did you ever like wrestling?

We kinda get it now with the Roman push but if everything could go Vinces way what would the booking be like?

I just get the feeling he wants to be George Lucas. Own everything and everyone and produce his poorly written and poorly planed daytime soaps.

It's tough with wrestling to say where the talent is the reason why things are working or failing.

ECW was proof that booking could get guys to draw and be over despite not really being talented enough in their own to do it, like sandman.

Where as in the WWF/E you get the idea that performers have to fight their way through shit booking and scripting. Look at the shit Charlotte had to put up with before she was able to get over as a proper heel or how a UFC champion was mobbed out to Cena and HHH the second he returned to the company.

For as much as Vince deserves credit for the Brock Goldberg feud working right now he also deserves blame for not seeing that Goldberg could fucking draw and how Goldberg should have been booked in 2003.

Ithil

Like that's the problem with Asuka on NXT, no one is believable enough to beat her. So much so that they've had to essentially create the next female Goldberg (who sells more granted) as the heir apparent...

And the division is going to be even worse with Ember Moon on top because she doesn't have the charisma that Asuka has and is pretty much as good as Asuka on the mic to carry the next phase pf the story: the drive to defeat the e second straight undefeated champion.

Nikki Cross is the future of the NXT women, but she's a scrappy heel so she can't really be the one to topple Asuka, unless you did some screwy stuff which you should not do for an undefeated streak like that.

They certainly shouldn't book Ember like Asuka, even if she is the one to beat her.

Rimfya

Banned
Can't they do Asuka / Moon / Cross and have Moon / Cross pin one or the other, so Asuka leaves without ever having been pinned?

Anth0ny

I actually think it would be a really cool angle if Asuka just wrecks havok, goes to the main roster with the NXT title, wins the main roster belt and duel wields those mother fuckers like a boss

Fox318

I actually think it would be a really cool angle if Asuka just wrecks havok, goes to the main roster with the NXT, wins the main roster belt and duel wields those mother fuckers like a boss
Then you have an NXT division with nothing to fight for and if they strip her what does it say of the women in NXT?

There are 2 ways out of her booking just like with Goldberg.

Injury angle that would have to be fucking super legit. Like HBK going to a hospital fake crying and working everyone in the back and in the media. You have a redemption story and you put the belt on a heel who claims she is the real champ.

2nd is have a Baby face that the fans like beat her. You are only going to get the bad heat on a heel or somebody the crowd doesn't like. Just like with Kevin Nash.

Anth0ny

Then you have an NXT division with nothing to fight for and if they strip her what does it say of the women in NXT?

There are 2 ways out of her booking just like with Goldberg.

Injury angle that would have to be fucking super legit. Like HBK going to a hospital fake crying and working everyone in the back and in the media. You have a redemption story and you put the belt on a heel who claims she is the real champ.

2nd is have a Baby face that the fans like beat her. You are only going to get the bad heat on a heel or somebody the crowd doesn't like. Just like with Kevin Nash.

They would fight over the number one contendership and the commissioner would work diligently to get the belt back from asuka

Adree

Can Billie Kay please get some new ring gear that shit is unflattering. Must have been designed by the same people that made that awful stuff for Dana Brooke.

This is the Walt Disney World, family fun entertainment! world of professional wrestling
that killed any counter-cultural edge wrestling ever had and left it with no real full-blooded villains or threats — so that the only storyline they can come up with is "Hey Mom I made it!" even though obviously Somebody is going to make it as a wrestler since News Flash they have to employ people. Boring and repetitive af. Don't even mention the blatant ridiculousness of trying to sell this person as a villian and a hero at the same time: the fact that kayfabe is dead doesn't mean that stomping on its corpse doesn't FUCKING HURT THE STORY.

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be a pro wresting fan and reading these rinse-and-repeat, candy cane, goes-down-easy, let's not offend anyone "success" stories happens to be one of those moments. Makes me want to go watch a piranha! match on Youtube to get my real wrestling street cred back.

Suck it WWE

OK fess up which one of you wrote this :p

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...iss-parents-story-daughter-wwe-star#417022587

It's hyperbolic, but the WWE's love affair with framing angles and characters around an 'I finally made it to the big leagues!' attitude has definitely had detrimental effects.

Sure but this isn't an angle, it's a mini documentary about a young woman (and her family) who went from being within 24 hours of dying from an eating disorder to Smackdown Women's Champion in 10 years...

Adree

Let's not forget they put that 24 with Seth Rollins documenting his recovery out like the same week that he came back as a heel.

Kayfabe is stupid anyway, once it's off the main shows or out of the ring let them be actors.

I don't know. Raw's big problem for me is it's inability to let any of the stars look weak as everyone there is way too protected between their need to keep Sasha, Bayley, Charlotte and Nia constantly looking strong in some way. Tossing Asuka there would only make it worse. I'd rather she go to Smackdown where they would need a big face if they lose Nikki as well as having no Naomi around after Wrestlemania since it would leave Becky as the only babyface around to fight four heels.

Edit: I agree with Kurita that Charlotte vs Asuka would be a hot fire feud. Especially if somehow the PPV streak vs Asuka's undefeated streak was played up for it.

Yeah, Sasha getting totally squashed at the Rumble and losing clean most of the PPVs vs Charlotte is a fun way to call her protected.

Is more of a booking problem rather than keeping the top stars in the division protected.

I don't know. Raw's big problem for me is it's inability to let any of the stars look weak as everyone there is way too protected between their need to keep Sasha, Bayley, Charlotte and Nia constantly looking strong in some way. Tossing Asuka there would only make it worse. I'd rather she go to Smackdown where they would need a big face if they lose Nikki as well as having no Naomi around after Wrestlemania since it would leave Becky as the only babyface around to fight four heels.

Edit: I agree with Kurita that Charlotte vs Asuka would be a hot fire feud. Especially if somehow the PPV streak vs Asuka's undefeated streak was played up for it.
The problem with a Raw feud is that one of the streaks is defeated the first PPV they fight. Put her on Smackdown, have her out of the title picture for a LONG time, then have her win - then, next Mania or whatever, Streak vs Streak cross-promotional match, or do it the PPV after the next draft or something. That's how to build a story to a potential Mania main event.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im actually super curious to see what they do with KO v Goldberg.

My local indie is having the team of Jarret, Drake and Cage called "the migras". Yeah, they are going to get all the heat in the place:
Code:
[IMG]https://scontent.ftij1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16938806_1621328111216242_2397881529961225729_n.jpg?oh=6663b0668996cb25259205dbade8f108&oe=592CDDFA[/IMG]

[IMG]https://scontent.ftij1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16708227_1608293835853003_8854813940446746036_n.jpg?oh=6597edad21e3bd5da8cebc782fc69aa9&oe=5933EF54[/IMG]

Also, for some reason Masada is there.

Also what is a Texas ranch extreme match?

My local indie is having the team of Jarret, Drake and Cage called "the migras". Yeah, they are going to get all the heat in the place:
Code:
[IMG]https://scontent.ftij1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16938806_1621328111216242_2397881529961225729_n.jpg?oh=6663b0668996cb25259205dbade8f108&oe=592CDDFA[/IMG]

[IMG]https://scontent.ftij1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16708227_1608293835853003_8854813940446746036_n.jpg?oh=6597edad21e3bd5da8cebc782fc69aa9&oe=5933EF54[/IMG]

Also, for some reason Masada is there.

Also what is a Texas ranch extreme match?

That's an incredibly eclectic card.

Also yeah, I imagine a Texas ranch extreme match will possibly involve Trump supporters as enforcers.

miserable

chris charlton‏@reasonjp 30m30 minutes ago
More
Tanahashi really didn't like Naito/Elgin, citing a trend of dangerous main events on his podcast.

old man Tana salty cause Elgin had a better match with Naito than he

NXT's Ember Moon ready to take the wrestling world by storm
"I definitely feel that I am as mysterious as [my character]," Moon told ESPN.com. "At the end of the day, if [my choices are] to go shopping or stay in the house in a secluded corner, I would much rather stay in the house and play some video games.

"[NXT] made me larger than life and I love that they incorporated who I am and my passions as far as medieval times and mysterious things of that matter. That's pretty much who I am as a person. [Ember Moon] is me dialed up to like a billion."

�� Nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!

Speaking of nerds...

Nation%20Kid_zpsrqf1jeon.gif

Is this Zach?
More like.
8os1pq6.jpg

wait, did naomi get injured on that moonsault that finished her championship match? if i remember, the move looked messed up, right?

weird. i can never tell when somebody gets injured. moves and landings that look like they'd do damage never do and then you hear about things you saw and barely noticed messing people up for 6 months.
Looks what way, stupidly sloppy Naomi didn't move Alexa closer to the corner so then she had to roll into position and didn't make it.
Nikki Cross is the future of the NXT women, but she's a scrappy heel so she can't really be the one to topple Asuka, unless you did some screwy stuff which you should not do for an undefeated streak like that.

They certainly shouldn't book Ember like Asuka, even if she is the one to beat her.
Ember ain't gonna get booked like Asuka, none of her matches have really indicated that. I'm guessing the have Ember beat Asuka which ends up triggering a feud with Nikki where Nikki beats her and they'll be feuding for a bit, maybe a triple threat in there some where assuming Asuka doesn't get called up right after WrestleMania.
Can't they do Asuka / Moon / Cross and have Moon / Cross pin one or the other, so Asuka leaves without ever having been pinned?
That's a really cheap way to get the title off her especially when Asuka isn't going to be the wrecking machine on the main roster that she's been in NXT. As much as they call NXT it's own brand it's still developmental (even if it seems likely hardly anyone who is already experienced actually develops) and I don't really see them allowing Asuka to do what's she's been doing when she goes to what's still supposed to be a higher level.

Whaaaaat... nothing about her is mysterious that's literally the problem.. God she even sucks at selling her "gimmick". A gimmick that isn't a gimmick as much as it is red contacts and 1/3 of an entrance

"I definitely feel that I am as mysterious as [my character]," Moon told ESPN.com. "At the end of the day, if [my choices are] to go shopping or stay in the house in a secluded corner, I would much rather stay in the house and play some video games.

What the fuck is mysterious about this? Unless that's the joke that both her and her gimmick are equally mysterious because neither are mysterious.

"[NXT] made me larger than life and I love that they incorporated who I am and my passions as far as medieval times and mysterious things of that matter. That's pretty much who I am as a person. [Ember Moon] is me dialed up to like a billion."

She must be the worlds most boringest person if Ember Moon is her dialed up to like a billion lol.

"I think that I bring something different as far as who I am as a person and who I am in and out of the ring," Moon said. "I'm definitely unpredictable. I pride myself on being the out-of-nowhere chick of NXT. But I also have a different way of thinking as far as I see everything as a challenge. I see a battle and a huge war that I'm trying to win."

This wouldn't even pass the Turing test.

Pikma

Banned
If booked well, I'd take Peyton Royce or Liv Morgan beating Asuka over Ember Moon.

That's how much I dislike her character

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Some of those spots were fucking ridiculous though. That barricade bomb ugh.
Meltzer has mentioned it a couple of times - how it can only keep going like that until someone ends up in the hospital or dead.

If booked well, I'd take Peyton Royce or Liv Morgan beating Asuka over Ember Moon.

That's how much I dislike her character

If Liv Morgan gets a bit better in the ring she'll pass Ember Moon in terms of overall skills because that's how bad Ember Moon's character work is.

Pikma

Banned
Meltzer has mentioned it a couple of times - how it can only keep going like that until someone ends up in the hospital or dead.
With all this talk about NJPW's expansion it's only inevitable they're forced to add more (international) dates to their calendar, that's when shit will hit the fan, I just hope it's nothing too bad...

Top Bottom