• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Rimfya

Banned
Did you not watch the video? Who on the roster right now would WWE trust to run a cooky segment like that on his own? Jericho? ...?
Man had charisma for days as a face or heel. He made everything seem like a shoot.
He also gave WWE it's first truly compelling storyline (i.e.: it brought lapsed wrestling fans back to WWE) and 5* match in years.

I did watch the video. I don't see the appeal but understand some of the explanations in other posts. He must have stood out then because I don't think he would now.

Asshole, Swann is the man. He's slacking son!

The best part about Rich Swann in WWE is that I don't have to hear him butcher "All Night Long" during his entrances at indy shows. Motherfucker sang that song night after night for years and still couldnt get the lyrics correctly.

Tagyhag

I think I've mentioned it before here. I wasn't really watching then and I found out the weirdest way: my total non-fan grandpa read something about it in the paper. I think that was the only way I knew to watch the final Nitro.

The whole thing was so strange. Even though I wasn't watching anymore, it still felt like a piece of my childhood died or whatevz, so it was kinda sad.

That's must have been really cool live.

I was 17 when they shut down and I was mainly a wcw fan because of the sting vs nwo thing back when it started, then for [NAME REDACTED], Eddie Guerrero, Rey mysterio, booker t, DDP (WCW DDP was fantastic, especially as the first guy to fight back against the nwo on a regular basis), The Chairman of WCW, the entire Jericho/ Malenko program (good god the pop at the Ciclope fake out), hell even Juvi was legit entertaining back then. Loved crazy Chavo, too.

But by the time it died I was fine with it. The show had been too awful for too long and it was obvious there was no hope at the end of the tunnel.

Then Jeff Jarrett being made into a big deal because vince Russo had a mega bonner for him .

Tldr; treasure the memories more than anything in wwf, but fuck it wcw was long dead before it actually died.

That's what I assumed, if the show had died 1-2 years before people would have been a lot more bummed out.

I laughed when WCW shut down. Not a hearty laugh, more like a chuckle. Kinda like "heh, how about that." Then I saw on Raw that Shane bought WCW and I was curious how it was all gonna go down.

Here's a shoot: I don't hold a lot of ill-will towards WCW, but the stupid shit is just REALLY stupid, almost unbearable.

Zach

That's must have been really cool live.

That's what I assumed, if the show had died 1-2 years before people would have been a lot more bummed out.
I think I was a bit incredulous. Like, this can't really be the end, right? Or, maybe it'll come back as WWF Nitro? Or, is this just crazy wrestling nonsense (not sure if I knew about the term "work" back then >_>)?

It's pretty cool to have lived through that stuff.

Zach

I laughed when WCW shut down. Not a hearty laugh, more like a chuckle. Kinda like "heh, how about that." Then I saw on Raw that Shane bought WCW and I was curious how it was all gonna go down.

Here's a shoot: I don't hold a lot of ill-will towards WCW, but the stupid shit is just REALLY stupid, almost unbearable.
The lows of WWF/E are just as bad.

Lothar

Banned
To all you fossils, what was it like being a big fan of either (or both) brands and hearing that WCW was shutting down?

What was the reaction of VINCE buying the company?

I was happy because my favorite WCW wrestlers, Disco Inferno and Alex Wright, would be joining WWE. I'm not even joking.

somedevil

Well ROH is having some problems:

Kevin Kelly, who has served as the voice of Ring of Honor since 2010, departed the company this week, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

Kelly had taken a full-time job with the company in their office last year, juggling his announcing duties with logistical duties that were meant to ease the pressures on ROH booker Hunter Johnston. At the time Kelly took the full time job, he had told PWInsider.com that he was there to work as a liaison between the wrestlers and the office to insure better communications and to help spearhead projects that ROH needed to work on, such as a streaming service and an updated website.

We are told that Kelly gave notice and departed the company. He completed his duties for the office this weekend is not currently scheduled for any additional announcing for the company at this time. He was not scheduled for this weekend's ROH events and is scheduled to travel to Japan to call the 2/5 New Japan Pro Wrestling event in Sapporo, so it would appear his exit from ROH would have no bearing on his NJPW duties. New Japan has expanded their English language commentary for their New Japan World streaming service.

Geez whats happening in ROH. It seems to be falling apart.

Omg the Undertaker shilling for the XFL clip on Wrestling With Regret.

American Badass Taker was such a mistake

Can't believe Jesse Ventura did this while he was Govenor

Fox318

Xfl lost like 100 millions dollars in 10 weeks, that worse than any WCW did.
Between Linda's campaigns, the world, the WWF shop in niagra, and the XFL Vince has lost more money than wcw ever did.

He just had a monopoly in a business that nobody else wanted to enter.

Like he did in the past and HHH does it now all Vince knows how to do is play an aggressive defence.

AWA has legit stars? Sign them and promote them like they are still in the AWA
ROH has a stacked roster and a billionaire company behind them? Sign them and make them highly paid Indy workers in NXT.
NJPW expanding into the US with NJPW world? Sign them and make them jobbers to get your guys over.
WCW looking for a TV deal? Kill an industry partner by bribing TNT
World of Sport and 5 star Wrestling threatens to expose your ratings and show there is a market for another promotion especially in the UK? Sign 32 UK workers to mark deals on the cheap and prevent them from working iPPVs.
Now that Lucha Underground is on Netflix expect the WWE to go after Lucha more than ever.

cordy

Banned

Why crack?

cordy cordy cordy...

Moving like Tyrone did on a few episodes of Chappelle Show.

tumblr_ohqs65fXdl1saykaxo1_400.gif

Dave-Chappelle-as-Tyrone-Biggums.gif
My uncle said the same thing and then we had to explain that he used to.

Oh shit lmao that makes SO much sense rofl.

So he does it on purpose because that's his character, that's brilliant.

Top Bottom