• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Yeah it'd be workable but they'd probably want him in a singles title match. I mean they've called their next two shows "Road to" so I assume they are at least attempting to set up a challenger.

I've heard very mixed things about Smile outside of OTT. He's just a different beast here, I think he really feeds off crowds/reaction in a big way. OTT were giving him a spot when nowhere else really was so it could be that as well.

He also seems to be a bit...off. Like a very ill judged Hornswoggle joke at the expense of an audience member a few shows ago and a weird pseudo shoot promo about him considering retirement this year (???) but staying because he loved OTT so much? And his twitter is non-stop subtweeting and shade

EDIT: Oh and he has Ospreay level issues physically it seems https://twitter.com/ADSRyanSmile/status/828604070319550464

Yeah Smile is notorious for having an "attitude", whatever that means at an indie level these days. There's a few places he's not welcome back.

Saw him at the SS/WAR podcast, was telling us how he got kicked out of his training school after a battle royal and one match

I'm drunk, to be clear. I have drank a lot of rum. And I went to watch some of the rumble from a week or two ago again.

It shits me WWE commentators say "here comes *whoever the fuck/Cena* bringing a big fight feel". When JBL or whoever says that it immediately kills any possible feeling that was there anyway and also I just don't get that feel at all.

When you watch like Kobashi or Misawa or Suzuki or even just NJPW bigger shows in general, it is the presentation that gives it such a feeling. It doesn't just feel like some shit like raw with a longer ramp.

Look at this shit for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7cFGXHvqo

This is awesome as fuck and is presented like hectic shit is about to go down.

I don't like to just shit on WWE all the time, but fucking hell. I haven't seen anything they have done in years that has a real atmosphere to be honest.

klonere

Banned
Yeah Smile is notorious for having an "attitude", whatever that means at an indie level these days. There's a few places he's not welcome back.

Saw him at the SS/WAR podcast, was telling us how he got kicked out of his training school after a battle royal and one match

Well, that's an achievement of sorts.

I'm drunk, to be clear. I have drank a lot of rum. And I went to watch some of the rumble from a week or two ago again.

It shits me WWE commentators say "here comes *whoever the fuck/Cena* bringing a big fight feel". When JBL or whoever says that it immediately kills any possible feeling that was there anyway and also I just don't get that feel at all.

When you watch like Kobashi or Misawa or Suzuki or even just NJPW bigger shows in general, it is the presentation that gives it such a feeling. It doesn't just feel like some shit like raw with a longer ramp.

Look at this shit for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7cFGXHvqo

This is awesome as fuck and is presented like hectic shit is about to go down.

I don't like to just shit on WWE all the time, but fucking hell. I haven't seen anything they have done in years that has a real atmosphere to be honest.

There's a lot of stuff that goes into making moments like that. I think production wise, WWE are capable of it and honestly, the production on match entrances is their strongest point at the moment. From a purely subjective point of view however, I'll always prefer Japanese style presentation, even if the WWE is impressive as hell with their stage setup right now.

I think the AJ/Cena series, for as much as I didn't care for it, felt like a big deal. Especially at Summerslam, it had the fever pitch crowd, the big entrances, the presentation and feel of a big moment. Brock vs Goldberg is another recent example.

But they are few and far between I think mainly down to lack of protection for a lot of modern day stars, so its not that big a deal when they come out. As we were discussing yesterday, Okada is booked and presented far stronger than a guy like Roman. Very few people are going to beat Okada clean in a title match. When the right challenger comes up for Okada, someone who is just as over and the crowd feels has a good chance of beating him, well that will feel like a moment where shit is about to go down.

Sephzilla

are moon landing truthers like the Sandy Hook truthers?

Sandy Hook truthers are worse, since they're implying that parents devastated about the loss of their children are actors because they aren't "behaving right"

Yeah, Sandy Hook truthers are awful people who are trying to pretend murders and permanently emotionally scarred parents aren't real.

Moon landing truthers are Stanley Kubrick fans who've taken their obsession a little too far.

Kaladin

As much as I don't like the Patriots, I got to give it to Brady. He put in one of the best Superbowl performances I've ever seen....hell, one of the best "big game" performances I've seen across any sport.

Menome

Let's take this moment to remember that Ronda Rousey is a Sandy Hook truther, so I hope she never comes back for a guest appearance on WWE. Or anything ever really.

Menome

What did the OP do to deserve the wrath of Menome?

The Drifter is fucking terrible thread.

image.php

Lady Gaga's dives are ruining the sport of Super Bowl halftime shows.

Just a spotmonkey mess, no selling at all. Give me my geriatric white man classic rock acts like Rolling Stones. Now they know how to work.

Kaladin

Lady Gaga's dives are ruining the sport of Super Bowl halftime shows.

Just a spotmonkey mess, no selling at all. Give me my geriatric white man classic rock acts like Rolling Stones. Now they know how to work.

That half time show was one of the best in a long time.

Caderfix

As much as I don't like the Patriots, I got to give it to Brady. He put in one of the best Superbowl performances I've ever seen....hell, one of the best "big game" performances I've seen across any sport.

Brady is an amazing QB. He's the most consistent athlete I've seen, dude's made out of ice.

Beyonce's halftime show wasn't good.

Much like Beyonce's music

You are correct.

Kaladin

Prince, Bruce and Beyonce were all in the last 10 years.

Looking back, I'm going to have to say this was the best since 2009....and that's a good while. I honestly didn't care about either of Beyonce's, but Bruce, Tom Petty, Prince, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney.....the late 00's had a good run.

If I could be serious for a minute.

I order order 7 shift from the euro shop in November but was missing the new Samoa Joe shirt. The order page said it would arrive in few week but were in feb now and still nothing. I've check the site over the last month and the shirt and my size are in stock but nothing has turned up. But I can't for the life of me find an e mail address or any way to speak to them. Has anyone else had this problem?

Kaladin

If I could be serious for a minute.

I order order 7 shift from the euro shop in November but was missing the new Samoa Joe shirt. The order page said it would arrive in few week but were in feb now and still nothing. I've check the site over the last month and the shirt and my size are in stock but nothing has turned up. But I can't for the life of me find an e mail address or any way to speak to them. Has anyone else had this problem?

Never had an issue in the US, but..the Euro Shop customer service number is 0844 692 1222, 7 days a week from 9h00 – 21h00 GMT.

I found it on http://euroshop.wwe.com/en_GB/content-customer-service/content-customer-service.html

Kaladin

WWE has another hidden gems collection going up today that sounds amazing:

Dallas Wrestling 04/29/1952 – A Killer Challenge

Killer Kowalski is faced with some deadly double duty when he takes on Mr. Moto and Duke Keomuka in a Handicap Match in the famous Dallas Sportatorium.

Dallas Wrestling 11/08/1966 – Legends of Texas Rasslin’

In this rarely seen battle, Joe Blanchard teams with Cowboy Bob Ellis and Duke Keomuka to face Bob Geigel, Gary Hart, and Waldo Von Erich in the famous Dallas Sportatorium.

WWWF 07/29/1970 – Bruno Battles a Caged Animal

Within the hallowed grounds of Madison Square Garden, Bruno Sammartino takes on George ‘The Animal’ Steele in a Steel Cage Match.

Championship Wrestling from Florida 06/15/1972 – A Moving Demonstration

Strengthen your knowledge of wrestling maneuvers demonstrated by the likes of Danny Hodge, Harley Race, and other legends of the ring.

Mid-South Wrestling 11/27/1975 – The Cowboy and a Texas Bronco

Two western legends go head-to-head when ‘Cowboy’ Bill Watts defends the North American Championship against Terry Funk.

Stampede Wrestling 08/17/1979 – Inoki Faces The Lariat

The legendary Antonio Inoki travels North of the Border to Stampede Wrestling to take on Stan ‘The Lariat’ Hansen.

NWA Mid-Atlantic 11/22/1979 – Battle of The Nature Boys

Witness a true wrestling rarity with the only known footage of ‘The Nature Boy’ Buddy Rogers taking on ‘The Nature Boy’ Ric Flair.

NWA Big Time Wrestling 06/07/1981 – Big Cat vs Modern Day Warrior

In this classic confrontation, ‘The Big Cat’ Ernie Ladd goes one-on-one with ‘The Modern Day Warrior’ Kerry Von Erich.

Mid-South Wrestling 09/01/1983 – The Size of a Giant

Andre the Giant makes his way to Mid-South Wrestling, Bill Watts shows the fans the extraordinary size of ‘The Eighth Wonder of the World’.

Global Wrestling Federation 01/06/1992 – Cruiserweight Pioneers

Witness The Lighting Kid defend the GWF Light Heavyweight Championship against Jerry Lynn in an incredible 2-Out-of-3 Falls Match.

Stu Hart 50th Anniversary Show 12/15/1995 – The Funks Make Bad Company

The Funks look to bring some Texas Justice to Stampede Wrestling’s Showdown at the Corral in a battle against Brian Pillman and Bruce Hart.

WCW 01/27/1999 – Festival De Lucha

Konnan, Rey Mysterio, Hector Garza, and Silver King face a team led by Chris Jericho in a bout from WCW’s unaired pilot ‘Festival de Lucha’.

Ultimate Pro Wrestling 04/25/2001 – An Ultimate Encounter

Edge and Christian journey to Ultimate Pro Wrestling to take on the evolutionary duo known as Nova and Frankie Kazarian.

OVW 07/28/2001 – The Beast Meets Leviathan

Prior to Batista’s evolution into The Animal, Leviathan clashes with Brock Lesnar in this memorable battle from Ohio Valley Wrestling.

FCW 02/05/2012 – Gold Before Justice

Long before fighting for justice, the future members of The Shield battled each other for a shot at gold in this Triple Threat Match.

Well, that's an achievement of sorts.

There's a lot of stuff that goes into making moments like that. I think production wise, WWE are capable of it and honestly, the production on match entrances is their strongest point at the moment. From a purely subjective point of view however, I'll always prefer Japanese style presentation, even if the WWE is impressive as hell with their stage setup right now.

I think the AJ/Cena series, for as much as I didn't care for it, felt like a big deal. Especially at Summerslam, it had the fever pitch crowd, the big entrances, the presentation and feel of a big moment. Brock vs Goldberg is another recent example.

But they are few and far between I think mainly down to lack of protection for a lot of modern day stars, so its not that big a deal when they come out. As we were discussing yesterday, Okada is booked and presented far stronger than a guy like Roman. Very few people are going to beat Okada clean in a title match. When the right challenger comes up for Okada, someone who is just as over and the crowd feels has a good chance of beating him, well that will feel like a moment where shit is about to go down.

I know what you are saying and I do agree with you about Okada, even if I found certain aspects of that match disappointing (mainly it felt like too much, but it was still an incredible and hugely unique match I will watch again). It isn't that things don't feel important in WWE, because they do, as you said.

Its just, it doesn't have the real frantic feeling. Like Rocky tier shit. Or Starrcade '83 when Flair comes out. Onita vs Chono and Flair vs Race are obviously extremely high tier shit, but still. It would be nice for WWE to really capture that.

HHH always seems like he wants some Chris Moyen style heavy metal designs but he takes a few steps back because he is worried about Jesus marks.

I can't unsee the trips skeleton being like "oh god, there are hammers in my eye sockets and mouth, for the love of God help!"

--

While nursing my slightly busted up rib today I left Elimination Chamber 2014 on in the background and shockingly the chamber match itself was actually good, seeing that pretty much all chamber matches from 2005 onwards are completely forgettable outside of specific outlying moments like....
- The one that inexplicably contains Big Daddy V
- The one where Cena gets eliminated as soon as he strolls in, also Edge disregarding the rules to join said match
- The one where HBK was lurking under the ring for 45 minutes and Taker got blazed by his pyro
- The one where Triple H has the light shine on his goofy face
- The one where the match falls apart and Dolph Ziggler of all people has to take a ring general role to try and save it.

So yeah it was nice to say this one was good because it was actually just pretty good, I do not recall Christian being in it at all, must've been one of his last PPV hurrahs now I think about it. Cesaro and Sheamus are also on form in this one.
I guess people tend to forget this one because they were salty that Corporate Kane interfered but in fairness Bryan did knee him in the face out of sheer terror.

Top Bottom