• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

3 women's matches on one PPV is a bit much with this women's division.

All three women's matches have had extensive storylines built around them, so it makes sense for them to all have matches.

No one complains about three men's watches on a PPV ...
11590722.jpg

All I want from Shane/Styles is another video package with Vince saying "if you think about it, Shane may be the greatest threat that Styles has ever faced"

Zach

Oh, man. Wow. What an exciting ending to the 2006 Royal RumzZzZzZzZz...

Oh, hey, No Way Out starts with Randy Orton telling Ron Mysterio that Eddie is in hell.

Shoot: in 2006 I was stoked on Rey Mysterio winning the Rumble because he wore a mask and did cool lucha things

Not long after I would come to realize that he actually had a very limited set of lucha things and was actually not that fun to watch

imBask

Banned
Mysterio and RVD were both weird to me, they both had 5 shitty flippy moves that made no sense and nothing else, yet everyone loved them

Sephzilla

Mysterio and RVD were both weird to me, they both had 5 shitty flippy moves that made no sense and nothing else, yet everyone loved them

RVD is a guy who, in hindsight, I have no idea why I liked. He didn't have good mic skills. His move set was surprisingly limited. And he didn't have much of a character outside of the R V D taunt. But he did a neat frog splash and had that move where he kicked a chair into a guys face.

For context - my only exposure to RVD is WWE

I still consider RVD to be a favorite wrassler

Even if he was limited he was fun to watch. Especially when you get into the ECW stuff with Jerry Lynn

I think it's a similar think to Rey where in comparison to everyone else on the roster it's some hot shit, then you see dudes outside of WWE (or currently on the roster in modern times) that completely outclass them. Rey is worse because I think his matches started revolving entirely around the 619 which was just not fun to watch

The high flying stuff is what got me into wrestling in the first place so I'll always have a bias for flippy shit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RVD also has a great heel ECW character and is pretty good at selling. I'm always down for an RVD match. Plus his HBK impersonation is great.

Heroman

Banned
Rey is/ was a fantastic wrestler. It crazy how popular he became. The problem with Rey and most luchcadors in the WWE is that most people they work with don't know how to work that style.

Rey is/ was a fantastic wrestler. It crazy how popular he became. The problem with Rey and most luchcadors in the WWE is that most people they work with don't know how to work that style.
The Lucha Underground stuff has really highlighted this. Dude can work some insane matches with the best of them

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WCW Cruiserweights are funny. They're the ones that really push the whole kick out of other people's finishers, use other people's big spots as set up moves mainstream, and everyone loved it so it became the indie style. I'm watching some of these matches with multiple avalanche power bombs, Tombstones, running powerbombs, Hurricanranas, etc, etc, and they don't end until someone does their super duper finisher off of the top.

Toki767

WCW Cruiserweights are funny. They're the ones that really push the whole kick out of other people's finishers, use other people's big spots as set up moves mainstream, and everyone loved it so it became the indie style. I'm watching some of these matches with multiple avalanche power bombs, Tombstones, running powerbombs, Hurricanranas, etc, etc, and they don't end until someone does their super duper finisher off of the top.

They're guilty of a lot of things (normalizing what should be finishers, constant high spots, flips, etc...) but they never really kicked out of each other's finishers. Usually once someone hit their finisher that was the end of the match.

They're guilty of a lot of things (normalizing what should be finishers, constant high spots, flips, etc...) but they never really kicked out of each other's finishers. Usually once someone hit their finisher that was the end of the match.

who normalized this thing that we see often today where multiple finishers are needed to put a guy down or where we see them kick out of finishers like nothing to it?

I was getting caught up on NXT , which I havent watched since september, and I was triggered by Nakamura having to repeatedly hit Joe with his finisher twice just to lay the dude down.

and then you have the AJ Styles and Cena stuff. Ugh

Toki767

I bet Arn Anderson inducts the Rock n Roll Express.

It's either him or Jerry Lawler, but Lawler typically hosts so he can't induct I guess.

who normalized this thing that we see often today where multiple finishers are needed to put a guy down or where we see them kick out of finishers like nothing to it?

I was getting caught up on NXT , which I havent watched since september, and I was triggered by Nakamura having to repeatedly hit Joe with his finisher twice just to lay the dude down.

I want to say ECW, but in the mainstream it was probably those Austin/Rock matches.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Rock Austin WM X-7 is the usual suspect, though there have been other historic no sellers like Warrior/Macho Man where he drops the elbow seven times and can't keep him down.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

I'm sure it didn't start it, but my earliest memory of finisher spam was Rock vs Austin WM matches. Seemed like they felt like they needed to up the finisher count every match to make it better. I really don't mind it when its exclusive to your biggest show of the year, but finishers don't even put away people on Raw anymore.

Anth0ny

A battle between arguably the two biggest wrestling stars of all time at the biggest show of the year is one of the few times where kicking out of finishers makes sense.

Of course, over time, people realized "If we kick out of finishers, we'll get pops like Rock vs Austin!"

and now finishers aren't finishers

A battle between arguably the two biggest wrestling stars of all time at the biggest show of the year is one of the few times where kicking out of finishers makes sense.

Of course, over time, people realized "If we kick out of finishers, we'll get pops like Rock vs Austin!"

I can see that, yeah.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Yep, people need to go back to that, or agree to super finishers that no one kicks out of like the Punt, the 3D, Burning Hammer, top rope versions of your regular finisher, whatever.

Heroman

Banned

People always kick out of the bomya,

Toki767

The issue is they weren't only kicking out in their Mania matches.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I wonder how you go back to one finisher being the end of the match? It'd be better for the long haul, but it seems like it would be jarring in the short term. I mean Styles kicked out of what 4 AAs then it took the super AA to win?

Top Bottom