• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

I just discovered the greatest hidden gem in all of WWE.

In the newly added GWF Lightning Kid/Jerry Lynn match there's a very special surprise in the front row.

Cheering on the wrestlers is what appears to me a very lonely middle-aged woman with a dog puppet.

Was she a GWF regular? I'm absolutely fascinated and want to know everything!
I was a Lightning Kid fan back in the day from when I could watch GWF.
I mean look at this comic book clerk
_83581289_rexfeatures_4842807b.jpg

Dusty was also over six feet tall and had a presence and natural charisma Owens lacks.

Pikma

Banned
Naito asking for Corino for some reason and Kelly having to answer in spanish "No esta aqui" (He's not here) lol

Poor Owens, I'm sure he is glad to be a former champ at all but man talk about having been given such a shit run. :(

HE'S THE COWARDLY HEEL! GET IT???? They couldn't even make him look mildly threatening, he looked stronger before he had the f**king title. :|

Stuck in an endless black hole that is Raw booking. All roads have to lead to Reigns zzzzzzzzz.

They don't even explain the HHH thing, why did he help him win? Just cause he hated Seth-kun? Have Owens and HHH ever had any sort of interaction since he won the damn thing?

Basically the Owens World Milkyway Title run was purely a cog in a higher up the card story line between two other 'more important' (HHH vs Seth) wrestlers? Wow.

Thanks man, please leave the title with Dadberg on your way out. That stupid match between him and Bork didn't need a belt, people were already interested in it. >_>

Poor Owens. :( Deserved much better.

NOAH: "Well we've had a great start to the year, shaking up our heavyweight division, fully getting behind our new ace, putting on great shows with a unique match style. How should we follow this up?

We should partner with TNA!"

x62KKDT.jpg

Yeah. Any excitement for NOAH The REBORN is now dead, which works out great for me because barely have time for AJPW and BJW as it is.

NOAH working with Dove Pro and building its own roster seemed like the right direction. Instead, we probably get Mike Bennett vs. Nakajima or some shit. At least the NOAH cameramen can perv out on Maria.

Recall

I don't understand what this Road to the New Beginning show is. A house show? Is the show on the 11th a PPV? Why would the world title match have taken place on a different show? Is it a tour of random shows under the same banner?

I don't understand what this Road to the New Beginning show is. A house show? Is the show on the 11th a PPV? Why would the world title match have taken place on a different show? Is it a tour of random shows under the same banner?

In NJPW the titles are a big deal so the secondary Intercontinental title can headline an event, especially when it's held by someone like Naito, who is the most popular guy in the company.

Road to...shows are setups for the big shows, in this case the 11th show which is "The New Beginning in Osaka".

Yes the show on the 11th is the PPV, New Beginning is two shows, the one in Sapporo last weekend and the one in Osaka this weekend.

'Road To' shows are basically glorified house shows but they're designed to help build hype for the main shows.

Pikma

Banned
All "Road To" shows are basically house shows yeah, they're in preparation for the bigger events (or ppvs if you want to call them that) so barely anything relevant storyline wise ever happens on them, some of these shows have stronger/more interesting cards than others tho (just like today's) so they are still worth watching

And yes, the show on the 11th could be considered a ppv

klonere

Banned
Yeah. Any excitement for NOAH The REBORN is now dead, which works out great for me because barely have time for AJPW and BJW as it is.

NOAH working with Dove Pro and building its own roster seemed like the right direction. Instead, we probably get Mike Bennett vs. Nakajima or some shit. At least the NOAH cameramen can perv out on Maria.

My absolutely unrealistic dreams of a Nakajima/Miyahara AJPW Sumo Hall main event are dead dead dead.

As you say, it does free up a slot in the watching rotation at least.

It's more or less a house show. NJPW tours generally have two big "PPV" events, headlined by the World and IC titles. This Road to Show is for the event this weekend, with Naito/Elgin, Dragon Lee/Takahahi and Shibata/Ospreay as the big matches.

Recall

Ok thanks guys for clearing that up for me. I'm going to watch Okada vs Suzuki now and then hope I get time to watch the show on the 11th in full.

I've been busy watching Fantastic Story in Tokyo Dome from 1993 and not kept up on the New Beginning shows or cards at all.

The SSS16 isn't at Mania weekend, it's in London :p

Also, I think it's safe to presume that PROGRESS have an understanding with WWE. None of the WWE UK guys were pulled from the last chapter show, in spite of it being streamed, and I doubt PROGRESS would book those guys for their big US debut show if there was a big chance of WWE removing them. Bear in mind that WWE have had no problem pulling guys from other indies, but when they pulled them from PROGRESS they sent Tommy End and Balor as replacements - other indies aren't getting that sort of special treatment.

Pikma

Banned
Also, I chuckled at the promo picture for PROGRESS's Super Strong Style 16 at the WrestleMania weekend shows that had Bate, Dunne, and Seven on it because you know they're getting yanked. Advertising them in matches that get streamed seems almost like false advertising at this point: http://twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/828896560591286272
The show is on friday so I think there's still chance it happens. If WWE fucking does it again and they pull them it'll be the ultimate scumbag move

Pikma

Banned

Also, I think it's safe to presume that PROGRESS have an understanding with WWE. None of the WWE UK guys were pulled from the last chapter show, in spite of it being streamed, and I doubt PROGRESS would book those guys for their big US debut show if there was a big chance of WWE removing them. Bear in mind that WWE have had no problem pulling guys from other indies, but when they pulled them from PROGRESS they sent Tommy End and Balor as replacements - other indies aren't getting that sort of special treatment.

It's basically what the rumor about WWE promising to be nice with Evolve if they give up on Floslam means. WWE will always get what they want so in their eyes it's either cooperate and get rewarded or refuse to, and they'll just screw you

klonere

Banned
It's basically what the rumor about WWE promising to be nice with Evolve if they give up on Floslam means. WWE will always get what they want so in their eyes it's either cooperate and get rewarded or refuse to, and they'll just screw you

Bow down

Bow down to the king

What's interesting to me is that (as per the commentary last EVOLVE weekend) FloSlam/WWN seem to think they're going to be streaming the PROGRESS Mania weekend show, but if they're using WWE UK guys that clearly can't be the case.

Hasney

What's interesting to me is that (as per the commentary last EVOLVE weekend) FloSlam/WWN seem to think they're going to be streaming the PROGRESS Mania weekend show, but if they're using WWE UK guys that clearly can't be the case.

They'll likely be pulled off to go to Mania anyway. Gotta have an appearance by the UK champ to wave!

WWNLive has hyped up the American Progress shows as part of its More Than Mania weekend shows since last year, so it was probably planned as a part of its overall streaming package that weekend.

Whether it'll happen or happen with the WWEUK folks is another question.

Zach

Give him some time. He probably didn't erase all NFL related viewing history from his youtube homepage and swear off Twitter for the next two months like I have. Though I may be able to swallow sadness easier than him. Hard to close your heart off to your team losing the big one like that. Takes practice. I could teach him if he's interested.

Until then...
dv30k1k.gif
:')

Pikma

Banned
They'll likely be pulled off to go to Mania anyway. Gotta have an appearance by the UK champ to wave!
Oh it is confirmed they will show up during WM weekend, but I don't think they'll pull them from a PROGRESS card, and they really have no excuse since the show is on friday

klonere

Banned
I would encourage everyone in the thread to check out Takehiro Yamamura vs Big R Shimizu and the VerserK vs Naruki Doi, Ben-K, Big R Shimizu, Takehiro Yamamura match from the latest Dragon Gate show (2/2 Truth Gate).Especially the Big R match, legitimate 4 + star match, no foolin.

BUT SERIOUSLY, PUNCH??? PUNCH AHAHAHAH

BUT SERIOUSLY, PUNCH??? PUNCH AHAHAHAH

Worst DG reveal ever, also makes NO FUCKING SENSE. Seriously, why would
Punch go back to VerserK after Shingo and co. treated him like complete shit
?

Also, did you not enjoy the YAMATO vs BxB match? Probably my favourite title match of YAMATO's run so far, thought they told an excellent story.

orioto

Good Art™
Poor Owens, I'm sure he is glad to be a former champ at all but man talk about having been given such a shit run. :(

HE'S THE COWARDLY HEEL! GET IT???? They couldn't even make him look mildly threatening, he looked stronger before he had the f**king title. :|

Stuck in an endless black hole that is Raw booking. All roads have to lead to Reigns zzzzzzzzz.

They don't even explain the HHH thing, why did he help him win? Just cause he hated Seth-kun? Have Owens and HHH ever had any sort of interaction since he won the damn thing?

Basically the Owens World Milkyway Title run was purely a cog in a higher up the card story line between two other 'more important' (HHH vs Seth) wrestlers? Wow.

Thanks man, please leave the title with Dadberg on your way out. That stupid match between him and Bork didn't need a belt, people were already interested in it. >_>

Poor Owens. :( Deserved much better.

Come on come on. I said it and i'll say it again, Smark whining about Owens is always overdone.

_He's been booked as a legit threat actually, with a legit chance of win, even before shenanigans, in every one of his matches. People always remember what they want.

_The guy has been on RAW since May of 2015. He's been 2x IC champ in the first year, then RAW champ after 15 month there, and hold the title for at least 7 month. Also he's been in every ppv since his debut.

I know sometimes it's wrestling and you're booked like an underdog heel (that's what he is actually) but still, he's pushed more than 95% wrestlers could say in WWE history.

Come on come on. I said it and i'll say it again, Smark whining about Owens is always overdone.

_He's been booked as a legit threat actually, with a legit chance of win, even before shenanigans, in every one of his matches. People always remember what they want.

_The guy has been on RAW since May of 2015. He's been 2x IC champ in the first year, then RAW champ after 15 month there, and hold the title for at least 7 month. Also he's been in every ppv since his debut.

I know sometimes it's wrestling and you're booked like an underdog heel (that's what he is actually) but still, he's pushed more than 95% wrestlers could say in WWE history.

He also gets on average 2 to 3 promo spots on Raw per week

Jamie OD

Dunne lost the OTT title after a card change over the weekend and it was treated like he is finishing up his remaining date with the company. Also word went out that OTT is now shying away from WWE and trying to establish a relationship with Rev Pro and with that, New Japan. That explains The Elite coming in for OTT's biggest show yet in April.

klonere

Banned
Worst DG reveal ever, also makes NO FUCKING SENSE. Seriously, why would
Punch go back to VerserK after Shingo and co. treated him like complete shit
?

Also, did you not enjoy the YAMATO vs BxB match? Probably my favourite title match of YAMATO's run so far, thought they told an excellent story.

It HAS to be the seeds of some sort of unit implosion. Otherwise it makes absolutely zero sense. I see Shingo just getting pissed again and trying to kick him out and then ??? happens. idk definitely the most bizarre decision I've seen in DG since I started watching

The title match was great, I just didn't mention it in my post because uh, I didn't. That was the first Hulk singles match I've really seen and I was pleasantly surprised. I know Hulk is pretty broken down injuries wise but I hope he can keep up that level of performance in the tag with Kzy. If they are going to keep Tribe around, they should probably have them win the Twin Gate at least.

If Rollins can make it back in time for Mania the injury is totally the best way this story could have gone.

Sucks that it is a real injury

GunBR

The complains about Owens title reign are the same complains that everyone made about Seth title reign
Both were chicken heels, always cheating and (almost) never winning clean, both worked for HHH and both are just part on a bigger storyline (Roman vs Authority in the past and Seth vs Authority now)

So the problem is not the wrestler, but the terrible Raw booking. Brock only had a good run with the belt in 2014 because he was a part-timer

Beefy

The complains about Owens title reign are the same complains that everyone made about Seth title reign
Both were chicken heels, always cheating and (almost) never winning clean, both worked for HHH and both are just part on a bigger storyline (Roman vs Authority in the past and Seth vs Authority now)

So the problem is not the wrestler, but the terrible Raw booking. Brock only had a good run with the belt in 2014 because he was a part-timer

RAW has booked heels with belts like shit for ages. But that's because Reigns has to be the big dog.

Also, I chuckled at the promo picture for PROGRESS's Super Strong Style 16 at the WrestleMania weekend shows that had Bate, Dunne, and Seven on it because you know they're getting yanked. Advertising them in matches that get streamed seems almost like false advertising at this point: http://twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/828896560591286272

There's literally 0 chance any of them get pulled from Progress' show before Mania.

HEEJXa2.gif

I know Hulk is pretty broken down injuries wise but I hope he can keep up that level of performance in the tag with Kzy. If they are going to keep Tribe around, they should probably have them win the Twin Gate at least.
Yeah, could definitely see them getting the Twin Gate belts sooner rather than later - would've preferred the last title change didn't happen tbh, so we'd get Susumu & Kagetora vs BxB & Kzy.

Top Bottom