• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Hasney

Before I took a long break from Wrassling I remember Noble being some trailer trash jobber, I had to do a double take when I first saw the J&J duo.

Jobber?! How could the cruiserweight champion who also had the trailer park princess be a jobber?!

On another note, Atlus enjoys trolling its fanbase even more than Vince does.

Browny

Banned
So we're thinking 4-way or 3-way at Mania?

Yup - Reigns isn't losing his shot, and Reigns Lesnar gets shat on by the crowd and critically panned. Also, Brock can lose the belt without losing face.

Rollins win it via cash-in a day later
Yup again. Although whoever wins at Mania has the ignominy of a one day reign. Fuck it, shit on Reigns. Bryan got shat on and recovered rather well, consider it a test of character.

If Rollins is not in the match, I'd have Rusev beat Cena at Fast Lane and then have Rollins win over Rusev at Mania,
Rusev over Cena, yes. Rollins - Rusev - can't see a heel on heel match happening. Which puts Rollins in the main event? Unless someone's after his briefcase... It has to be Ambrose, IMO.

Jamie Noble has always been one of my favorite wrestlers. Loved him when he was with Nidia (who was a fox, gotdamn), and I like what I've seen with his new role as a stooge.

Dragon Gate kicks off any minute now;

02/05/2015 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall - Niconico Live
0. Super Shisa, Kenichiro Arai vs. Mondai Ryu, Punch Tominaga
1. U-T, Yosuke♡Santa Maria, El Lindaman vs. Jimmy Kanda, Jimmy Kagetora, Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin
2. K-ness vs. Big R Shimizu
3. Shingo Takagi, Shachihoko BOY vs. Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!
4. Akira Tozawa, Dr. Muscle vs. Cyber Kong, Don Fujii
5. 3 Way 6 Man Tag Team Match: YAMATO, CIMA, Gamma vs. T-Hawk, Eita, Kotoka vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Kid, Kzy
6. Open the Dream Gate Championship Match: BxB Hulk vs. Jimmy Susumu

Onkx6HK.jpg

y7WTd4a.gif

Jesus, Corbin looks huge next to Neville. Had no idea he was that tall.

Fuck Jamie and Joey.

Why the fuck would those 2 be driving the creative force behind the Royal Rumble? That makes no sense, I thought they were basically low tier guys around WWE until they caught fire as J&J.

Actually, what was Mercury doing between the whole SES stuff and the Authority?

Hasney

What did they do now? All I saw was the usual "Has any company had such an awesome run of awesome game as awesome Atlus?" thread that pops up every now and then.

30 hour stream with multiple hints that they'll talk about Persona 5 next, including a 5 minute countdown to a 5 minute countdown to a 5 minute countdown multiple times. Then cut to a room with 2 people talking and multiple Persona 5 posters, so they talk to us about Persona Dancing All Night. I'm used to it from the last stream, but I can see some salt coming if nothing does come.

At least the concert on now is fun.

Why the fuck would those 2 be driving the creative force behind the Royal Rumble? That makes no sense, I thought they were basically low tier guys around WWE until they caught fire as J&J.

Actually, what was Mercury doing between the whole SES stuff and the Authority?

They're both road agents and have been very well regarded backstage for years now, I guess they were given the Rumble to see how well they handled planning such a complex match.

Would have preferred J & J in the Rumble rather than plan it. Jesus.

Sounded like they had too many cooks in the kitchen and it spoiled the broth, as it were. Meltzer remarked that LU's rumble probably took half the people and half the time to plan, but was twice as good as WWE's rumble.

Marvel

could never
Sounded like they had too many cooks in the kitchen and it spoiled the broth, as it were. Meltzer remarked that LU's rumble probably took half the people and half the time to plan, but was twice as good as WWE's rumble.

Yes.

Oh well, onto the next one.

Ad break halfway through the eagerly awaited match between Balor & Itami? Really? So Balor goes to the break in control, ad break, we come back and Itami is thrashing him. Great production, really smart. I guess they really needed that ad break since it's on TV though.

30 hour stream with multiple hints that they'll talk about Persona 5 next, including a 5 minute countdown to a 5 minute countdown to a 5 minute countdown multiple times. Then cut to a room with 2 people talking and multiple Persona 5 posters, so they talk to us about Persona Dancing All Night. I'm used to it from the last stream, but I can see some salt coming if nothing does come.

At least the concert on now is fun.
Ah yes, last years stream was incredibly great because I knew not to expect anything (and we got P5 in the end anyway). The interview with the 80 year old woman on a rooftop was hilarious.

They're both road agents and have been very well regarded backstage for years now, I guess they were given the Rumble to see how well they handled planning such a complex match.

Oh sweet, good to know they have been busy behind the scenes like that. But yeah, the second half of the rumble wasn't good. I did enjoy Bray's minirun there though. It was a really dire ending though, Kane & Big Show was just deflating to see doing their contractually appointed clearings. Boring.

Hasney

All those wrestlers in a room and everyone has to get their stuff in. I couldn't imagine how competitive a wrestler gang bang would be.

-brock kisses sable at ringside
-SPEAR SPEAR SPEAR
-17 seconds
-NEW CHAMP
-roster comes out to hoist up roman
-"the boyhood dream has come true"
-heyman consoles a crying brock
-believe that

BUTT ROCK MUSIC

-superkick->curbstomp->phoenix splash
-kickout
-spear
-roman retains
-beleedat

Aiii

So not worth it
Notes from the 1/29 tapings in Glasgow. The crowd seemed to be there largely for Grado of the local ICW promotion, who the show locally was built around. There were Grado and ICW chants all night long and he was by far the most popular guy on the show. The ICW shows draw about what TNA did here that these days for their biggest Scotland shows. ICW is a hot underground promotion in Scotland, in particular after a TV special that aired on BBC built around Grado. Drew Galloway got a huge surprise pop, and he also works for that promotion. Fans were also into Spud.

I'd feel bad for TNA, but they probably made a ton of money. Smart move to book that show around Grado, too.

Friend Bootaaay, I respect your opinion. I even indy respect it. So I come to you to ask this: how would you book Roman vs. Brock?

The hardcores (i.e, the people who buy Mania tickets) will be firmly behind Brock, so in the first half of the match I'd give them exactly what they want and just have Brock just fucking decimate Reigns. In the second half of the match I'd try and engage the crowd's sympy. As Brock becomes infuriated that Reigns won't give up, he resorts to more brutal and brutal methods and Reigns ends up a bloody mess, but still refuses to quit. If done right the crowd should have "stop, he's already dead!" sympy for Roman at this point, which is when you turn the tide of the match. A frustrated Brock does something out of character and goes up top to put Roman through an announce table, but Roman rolls out of the way. He crawls slowly back into the ring and the ref starts the count, but Roman realises he can't win the title on a count out and he struggles to drag Brock back into the ring but is then too exhausted to capitalise. Both men take a while to get to their knees and they start slugging it out, but Roman's getting mad and starts to Hulk up, which leaves Brock a little shook. Roman somehow wins the strike battle and sets up for a spear, but Brock avoids it and deadlift German suplexes him out of the corner for a near, near-fall. He hoists Roman up for the F5, only for Reigns to somehow land on his feet. He hits a superman punch as Brock turns around (which only staggers Brock) and then connects with a huge spear to win the title. Cue Rollins cashing in, with Roman vs Rollins being the big feud of the summer.

I'd feel bad for TNA, but they probably made a ton of money. Smart move to book that show around Grado, too.

To be fair though, ICW draws that much running a ballroom. TNA drew 1500 in The Hydro, which holds 12,000 - 13,000 people, and they drew 5500 in last year.

The hardcores (i.e, the people who buy Mania tickets) will be firmly behind Brock, so in the first half of the match I'd give them exactly what they want and just have Brock just fucking decimate Reigns. In the second half of the match I'd try and engage the crowd's sympy. As Brock becomes infuriated that Reigns won't give up, he resorts to more brutal and brutal methods and Reigns ends up a bloody mess, but still refuses to quit. If done right the crowd should have "stop, he's already dead!" sympy for Roman at this point, which is when you turn the tide of the match. A frustrated Brock does something out of character and goes up top to put Roman through an announce table, but Roman rolls out of the way. He crawls slowly back into the ring and the ref starts the count, but Roman realises he can't win the title on a count out and he struggles to drag Brock back into the ring but is then too exhausted to capitalise. Both men take a while to get to their knees and they start slugging it out, but Roman's getting mad and starts to Hulk up, which leaves Brock a little shook. Roman somehow wins the strike battle and sets up for a spear, but Brock avoids it and deadlift German suplexes him out of the corner for a near, near-fall. He hoists Roman up for the F5, only for Reigns to somehow land on his feet. He hits a superman punch as Brock turns around (which only staggers Brock) and then connects with a huge spear to win the title. Cue Rollins cashing in, with Roman vs Rollins being the big feud of the summer.

I can already hear the roof going off the place!

Wonder if Uhaa will keep the Uhaa Combination in WWE;

2SVJ9ti.gif

Or even be called Uhaa Nation. Probably not, everyone has to be a normal sounding name in WWE these days, for some reason.

The whole point of Uhaa is that he's a big guy who can do all the flippy-dippy shit. Perhaps his leaping dropkick will be enough, it's not like there's many guys in WWE with a great looking dropkick, least of all guys Uhaa's size.

PrawnyNZ

Sorry if I'm a bit behind here, but just started watching the Stone Cold podcast with Triple HHH and I'm a little stunned when they start talking about kayfabe and so on. Reigns being told he's going over in the Rumble for instance.
Is this normal, is the WWE shifting to a certain wink-wink style (we know you know we know you know), or is it just the WWE Network providing insiders a special look at things, like the 24 Wrestlemania XXX special where Vince is hugging Undertaker before his match when Brock has been brought in by him to break the streak?

Marvel

could never
Seth Rollins has been incredible as the top heel on the show - I think he's the best bad guy WWE has had since Triple H. What do you think about what he's done over the last six months?
DB:"I've known Seth Rollins for a very long time, it's strange to say this but he used to watch me at Ring of Honor! He used to come as a fan to Ring of Honor, so that makes me feel old! He's like, 'I watched you in high school' - I'm not that old, but just it makes me feel old. I am a big Seth Rollins fan and have been for a long period of time. He's been given an opportunity and he's taken the ball and run with it, he's going to be one of the top WWE stars for a long, long time."
YOU STILL GOT IT! *CLAPCLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP*

Recall

Sorry if I'm a bit behind here, but just started watching the Stone Cold podcast with Triple HHH and I'm a little stunned when they start talking about kayfabe and so on. Reigns being told he's going over in the Rumble for instance.
Is this normal, is the WWE shifting to a certain wink-wink style (we know you know we know you know), or is it just the WWE Network providing insiders a special look at things, like the 24 Wrestlemania XXX special where Vince is hugging Undertaker before his match when Brock has been brought in by him to break the streak?

Welcome to 2006

Aiii

So not worth it
Another good show by Lucha Underground, god I love this promotion so much. I hope it stays around for a long long time.

The entire main event angle with
King Cuerno injuring
Mundo's
leg
, good stuff. Booking of Cage is so good too.

Lucha Underground recap: EVERYTHING WAS FUN!

H1PSTER

I fucking love Lucha Underground, I haven't been this excited for wrestling in so many years.

What does Gaf think about it?

Marvel

could never
Fave five themes:

Edge (Never Gonna stop)
Kurt Angle
Goldberg
Word Life
Sting Crow

Runner up fave five:

Steve Blackman
Kane (slow chemical)
Gangrel
Undertaker Ministry
Stone Cold

Shout out to Hardy Boyz, Benoit, Xpac, HHH TTPTG, and Bret Hart's.

Top Bottom