• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Great story from Observer Radio last night. Apparently Jim Herd had an idea for a tag team called the Hunchbacks. The gimmick was that they couldn't be beat because you couldn't pin their shoulders to the mat. Herd presented this idea in a meeting, and Ole Anderson says "Well, I'll just put them in an armbar and make them tap." The gimmick was never brought up again.

Sephzilla

It's the desperate need to feel like they're a part of the product that gets me. Like when they booed a Kenta chant and drowned it out with Hideo. Because they have to protect the character. Because they're part of NXT. No, fools, you're essentially at weekly screenings of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

They are part of the product.

Booing the Kenta chant wasn't to protect the character, it was because the Kenta chant was a backhanded insult to Kenta/Hideo.

Ithil

It's the desperate need to feel like they're a part of the product that gets me. Like when they booed a Kenta chant and drowned it out with Hideo. Because they have to protect the character. Because they're part of NXT. No, fools, you're essentially at weekly screenings of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

By that logic, the ECW fans should have just "sat down and shut up" at all those shows in the 90s and stopped trying to engage in the product. By that logic any wrestling crowd should just sit down and do nothing.

It's not a play in a theatre.

dream

And that's the problem, Sephzilla. WWE does see them as part of the product, and these idiots are the reason why gimmicks like Bo Dallas and Adam Rose end up on Monday Night Raw SuperShow rather than your local armory.

Sephzilla

Chanting a wrestler's former ring name is just about the worst smarky shit an audience can do.

The "we want Kenta" chant while Hideo was wrestling was straight up disrespectful as fuck and I'm glad the Full Sail crowd cut that down quickly.

And that's the problem, Sephzilla. WWE does see them as part of the product, and these idiots are the reason why gimmicks like Bo Dallas and Adam Rose end up on Monday Night Raw SuperShow rather than your local armory.

I don't even get what point you're trying to make here. Crowds are a huge part of the product and they need to be. A crowd can make or break a show if they're active/into the product or inactive/not giving a shit. That can make or break an atmosphere and either create big moments or ruin big moments.

scabro

They are part of the product.

Booing the Kenta chant wasn't to protect the character, it was because the Kenta chant was a backhanded insult to Kenta/Hideo.
what is a backhanded insult? lol

the kenta chant was an example of some smarks trying to get themselves over because look at them theyre so smart they watch japan stuff

Ithil

Adam Rose was on NXT for two weeks before getting called up, and Bo Dallas debuted on RAW with a completely different gimmick than he had in NXT.

While I usually agree with you, there comes a point when the crowd is trying to get itself over instead of the wrestling....and Full Sail regulars cross that line every now and then.

I give you exhibit A, the Family Guy knee chant:

http://youtu.be/zhYHHxP8sqM?t=1m30s

The Family Guy knee chant was the worst thing they've ever done. The Marking Out chant on this weeks NXT was second worst.

Edit: The mystery of Vince's date is killing me. I HAVE TO KNOW!

Sephzilla

what is a backhanded insult? lol

the kenta chant was an example of some smarks trying to get themselves over because look at them theyre so smart they watch japan stuff

The "we want kenta" chant was implying that Hideo was not as good as Kenta. Which is disrespectful as hell.

Browny

Banned
Same when people were chanting Husky Harris - sounded shit, and thankfully died out pretty quickly.

It's lucky that McGillicutty doesn't scan very well...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
how famous? don't need the actual name, but more detail than that. compared to who on the famous scale?

100k+ album seller. I won't get more specific my friend. Most people are familiar with who she is if they watch TV. I don't so it never clicked with me at all until she told me.

The whole "the crowd should do what they're told" attitude that keeps cropping up lately is the stupidest fucking shit I've ever heard. Like Ithil said, it's not a fucking play you have to sit quietly through. The crowd are the proverbial 3rd man, and people getting pissed off at them for shitting on what you give them are the problem. If you do it properly, the majority of people will like who they're supposed to and boo who they aren't. If they're not doing that, 99% of the time, YOU FUCKED IT UP.

Sephzilla

If the crowd "did what they're told" and didn't cheer for who they wanted to cheer we wouldn't have gotten the epic pop that Ziggler got as a heel when he cashed in his MITB on Del Rio. We'd also never get the "JOHN CENA SUUUUUUUUCKS" chant during his music.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pop, rap, country? What genre?

JzUMcmT.gif

Sephzilla

Isn't Hideo Kenta? So has the crowd been upset with how he's been performing or something?

That's how i interpreted it.

Since becoming "hideo" he, up to that point, had done nothing but get beat down by The Ascension. Chanting his name from when he was a top star in Japan pretty directly implied that the crowd wanted Kenta the ass kicker and that Hideo was sub par.

scabro

Isn't Hideo Kenta? So has the crowd been upset with how he's been performing or something?
no, they chanted it once during his debut, and the rest of the crowd immediately booed them.

edit: ive got my timeframes fucked up i think. it was still smarks trying to get themselves over though.

Sephzilla

no, they chanted it once during his debut, and the rest of the crowd immediately booed them.

Huh? No?

They chanted Kenta during his debut because he hadn't been dubbed Hideo Itami by then. I'm talking about the Kenta chant that a couple people tried to start during REvolution that immediately got squashed, because it was disrespectful as fuck.

scabro

Huh? No?

They chanted Kenta during his debut because he hadn't been dubbed Hideo Itami by then. I'm talking about the Kenta chant that a couple people tried to start during REvolution that immediately got squashed, because it was disrespectful as fuck.

youre right, i mixed up the ascension beatdown and thought it had happened in his debut.

but even then its them trying to get themselves over instead of following the storyline, so the rest of the crowd shit on them rightfully.

FSU are good for the most part. They jump the shark now and then but theyre not bad. They made the Bo Dallas arc hilarious. The crowd is and always has been a part of the show. Unless the WWE tries the LU type presentation, it always will be.

Marvel

could never
Maybe they do not know how to pronounce his new name so project their anger from that anger of their own stupidity by chanting Kenta lol.

XenoRaven

People chanted KENTA because forced name changes are dumb. It's fine if you change gimmicks like Bray did, but a star known by thousands and thousands of wrestling fans that just goes to a different company shouldn't have to change their name if they don't want. But since WWE is so much bigger than everyone else and has no competition, they can do what they want.

Ithil

People chanted KENTA because forced name changes are dumb. It's fine if you change gimmicks like Bray did, but a star known by thousands and thousands of wrestling fans that just goes to a different company shouldn't have to change their name if they don't want. But since WWE is so much bigger than everyone else and has no competition, they can do what they want.

That's a bad example because KENTA showed up as KENTA, then changed his name at the Takeover show he debuted at. It wasn't like they were pretending he wasn't KENTA.

scabro

name changes come down to trademarking don't they?

I understand the WWE wanting to own the name and character completely. Im not sure if Kenta was willing to give up the name and the WWE wanted him to change it anyway, or if they changed it because he didn't want to let them have it though.

XenoRaven

That's a bad example because KENTA showed up as KENTA, then changed his name at the Takeover show he debuted at. It wasn't like they were pretending he wasn't KENTA.
They do that with everyone. They didn't pretend Finn Balor wasn't Fergal Devitt, they didn't pretend Seth Rollins wasn't Tyler Black, they didn't pretend Daniel Bryan wasn't Bryan Danielson.

I understand why they do it, but it's purely a business thing. It doesn't translate into a better product for fans and it's ultimately bad for the wrestlers because they have to throw away names they made themselves famous under, in WWE or elsewhere.

Sephzilla

The main reason forced name changes are a thing is entirely for trademarking, because Hulk Hogan and Macho Man came back to bite Vince in the ass during the 90s.

Since WWE doesn't have competition now I think they could abandon the forced name change thing, honestly. Even if a talent takes the same name/character to a different promotion, it's not going to hurt WWE at all.

Marvel

could never
I know it is totally correct but I actually don't like it when wrestling is referred to as "The Product" makes me feel weird for some illogical reason.

Ithil

They do that with everyone. They didn't pretend Finn Balor wasn't Fergal Devitt, they didn't pretend Seth Rollins wasn't Tyler Black, they didn't pretend Daniel Bryan wasn't Bryan Danielson.

I understand why they do it, but it's purely a business thing. It doesn't translate into a better product for fans and it's ultimately bad for the wrestlers because they have to throw away names they made themselves famous under, in WWE or elsewhere.

No, they don't, but I mean they straight up had his name change happen in WWE kayfabe. When they say "Seth Rollins was in ROH" they still act as though his name was Seth Rollins the whole time. Whereas even his profile says he arrived and was known before as KENTA, then changed his name.

So of all the name changes to complain about, that's a weird one. The ones where they pretend they're a completely different person are the annoying ones.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's that one dude, you'll know who I'm taking about, and he's always near the front acting up to the camera while everyone else is freaking out. I don't know why he annoys me so much, but he does.

You see a little too much of yourself in him, Bootaaay-san.

XenoRaven

No, they don't, but I mean they straight up had his name change happen in WWE kayfabe. When they say "Seth Rollins was in ROH" they still act as though his name was Seth Rollins the whole time. Whereas even his profile says he arrived and was known before as KENTA, then changed his name.

So of all the name changes to complain about, that's a weird one. The ones where they pretend they're a completely different person are the annoying ones.
I see what you mean now. I don't think that makes it any less dumb. It's arguably more dumb because you introduced a guy to your audience as one thing and then changed his name. It's acknowledging that they have to change their name when they get to WWE which is, again, dumb for the fan and bad for the wrestler.

There's no variance in the degree of how stupid name changes are. They're all worth complaining about. The only reason people don't complain anymore is because WWE wore them out.

Top Bottom