• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Not sure if I was just jaded with the genre but FF13 was so fucking boring. God damn. No I didn't hate it, but man it didn't capture me at all. The magic was gone. No feels like FF 6,7,9...or even 10 which was fun to play at least.
but fuck wakka and blitz ball

I'd take Blitzball over dodging 100 fucking lightning strikes.

Sephzilla

Completely off topic - The Halo franchise is fucking dead to me. Sprint is still going to be shoehorned in despite the game being better without it. Aim-down-sights is still going to be a thing despite the fact that it conflicts a fucking ton with lore and doesn't mesh well with Halo's playstyle. Master Chief Collection still isn't fucking fixed.

Kaiterra

Banned
Not sure if I was just jaded with the genre but FF13 was so fucking boring. God damn. No I didn't hate it, but man it didn't capture me at all. The magic was gone. No feels like FF 6,7,9...or even 10 which was fun to play at least.
but fuck wakka and blitz ball

It probably sounds like apologia, but FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns really solve a lot of the biggest problems with FFXIII, particularly the thing where they basically extended the tutorial section of XIII out to like 12-20 hours. Getting to take the reins early made those games a lot more fun, even if it made XIII-2 perhaps a bit too easy.

On the other hand, the story got insanely laughable by the time Lightning Returns came around (though I liked everything with Caius, Yeul and Noel).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Completely off topic - The Halo franchise is fucking dead to me. Sprint is still going to be shoehorned in despite the game being better without it. Aim-down-sights is still going to be a thing despite the fact that it conflicts a fucking ton with lore and doesn't mesh well with Halo's playstyle. Master Chief Collection still isn't fucking fixed.

whatever, just enjoy the older games then. they don't get retroactively worse unless you're one of those multiplayer weirdos

Marvel

could never
I mean I have sold my Bone now but you gotta keep MCC in case it's ever fixed. The classic Halo's on that and 2 anniversary are just the best man.

If Nintendo could just make a good console that doesn't have gimmicky bullshit attached to it they'd make so much more money right now.

This. There's a handful of games I'm interested in playing on the Wii U - that was never going to be enough to get me to buy one at launch or as my primary console, but as a cheap secondary console later in the generation? Sure. Until you factor in that expensive-ass abomination of a controller. They killed my interest on day 1 with that shit.

Sephzilla

I mean I have sold my Bone now but you gotta keep MCC in case it's ever fixed. The classic Halo's on that and 2 anniversary are just the best man.

At this rate Halo 5 will be out before MCC is fixed. And even by the time MCC is fixed the population is going to be smaller than the attendance of a Full Sail taping

This. There's a handful of games I'm interested in playing on the Wii U - that was never going to be enough to get me to buy one at launch or as my primary console, but as a cheap secondary console later in the generation? Sure. Until you factor in that expensive-ass abomination of a controller. They killed my interest on day 1 with that shit.

Nintendo seems like they're getting away from the tablet controller being the go to thing for all of their games. It's starting to seem like Miyamoto is the last guy who's really clinging to it.

In a lot of ways I think the Wii was the worst thing to happen to Miyamoto.

Striker

The best two are ports of another port. It's all a big mess and I doubt is ever truly fixed. Halo 5 looked okay but doesn't resemble Halo at all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What I don't understand is why people think that any of the big 3 are fighting over meaningful money. They're going to war over infertile land, while the mobile devs and platforms are enjoying the most wonderful farming land known to mankind.

Marvel

could never
At this rate Halo 5 will be out before MCC is fixed. And even by the time MCC is fixed the population is going to be smaller than the attendance of a Full Sail taping

:( truly sad for us Halo fans.

The best two are ports of another port. It's all a big mess and I doubt is ever truly fixed. Halo 5 looked okay but doesn't resemble Halo at all.

Played it for a couple hours, doesn't click for me.

...how? why?

I'm a huge Metal Gear fan. I bought the PS4 solely for Ground Zeroes. Obviously it's just a demo, but I played the MGS2 demo like a billion times so it should have satisfied me. Sadly Ground Zeroes is such a departure from what I loved about Metal Gear that I played through it once and was completely turned off on the whole thing.

Kiefer Sutherland is terrible too.

Only other PS4 games I own are WWE 2K15, which I played once and then never wanted to play again, Resogun, and Towerfall Ascension.

Towerfall Ascension is the only game I truely enjoyed on that system and as a 32 year old with a two year old and another on the way you can imagine getting people over to play it with me is a rare occasion.

We unplugged it to plug in the Christmas Tree and my TV only has 3 HDMI ports so it's Cable Box, Wii U, Apple TV all the time. We were switching the cable between the AppleTV and PS4, but why bother.

I almost plugged it back in to download Paige. Maybe when they release Emma...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a huge Metal Gear fan. I bought the PS4 solely for Ground Zeroes. Obviously it's just a demo, but I played the MGS2 demo like a billion times so it should have satisfied me. Sadly Ground Zeroes is such a departure from what I loved about Metal Gear that I played through it once and was completely turned off on the whole thing.

Whaaaaat? Man, Ground Zeroes was fucking incredible. That sounds so insane to me that you wouldn't enjoy it. Sounded like it's right up your alley. Goddamn I loved it.

jmdajr

Not sure what gimmicky shit they even have left in the bag. Everyone else is already on the VR bandwagon. Too cheap make any decent touch screens as it is.

Just make some good games without all the peripheral madness. And if you have to have them, make them optional like the fucking super scope.

Sephzilla

I liked Ground Zeroes and it has me hyped for MGS5. I'm also hyped because Metal Gear Rising 2 is eventually coming
because I don't believe for a second that the "no, that wasnt MGR2" shit is legit

Marvel

could never
I went in ready to tear MGSGZ apart based on what I read here on GAF about it's length and structure, only to play it solidly for like two weeks to get the plat.

Amazing game and a nice setup for V.

In fact my second ever video I created for YouTube was GZ.

Sephzilla

Kiefer Sutherland is terrible too.

Only other PS4 games I own are WWE 2K15, which I played once and then never wanted to play again, Resogun, and Towerfall Ascension.

Towerfall Ascension is the only game I truely enjoyed on that system and as a 32 year old with a two year old and another on the way you can imagine getting people over to play it with me is a rare occasion.

We unplugged it to plug in the Christmas Tree and my TV only has 3 HDMI ports so it's Cable Box, Wii U, Apple TV all the time. We were switching the cable between the AppleTV and PS4, but why bother.

I almost plugged it back in to download Paige. Maybe when they release Emma...

Sutherland sucks as Snake, no doubt.

imBask

Banned
I had tried MGS in the past, didn't really like it. I loved GZ though. Maybe that's because it didn't control like complete dogshit.

the only MGS I tried was 2 and I hated it because of the controls, so if what you're saying is true then I might enjoy GZ and the next one!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's really a shame how MGS2 and 3 on Vita were dogshit due to control issues. :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only person who thinks The Order 1886 is going to be better than people are expecting it to be?

Probably. But people have decided before playing it how they're going to feel.

the only MGS I tried was 2 and I hated it because of the controls, so if what you're saying is true then I might enjoy GZ and the next one!

From my experience, GZ, and as a result MGS V, are miles ahead in terms of how well they control and play. Just feels a lot smoother than any other MGS.

imBask

Banned
Am I the only person who thinks The Order 1886 is going to be better than people are expecting it to be?

idk, it really depends on the content. People are already pissed that it's going to be a "beautiful but empty" game eventhough none of them played it yet...

I saw a live demo a couple of months ago, I don't know about the content but the visuals were STUNNING

Cagey

Banned
I'm honestly excited for FFX HD on PS4 though.

#PartOfTheProblem #KissMyAss #Fuckbeanbreath

I have FFXHD PS3 Blu-ray Remaster sitting on my shelf.

I am still tempted to buy FFXHD PS4 Remaster Hyper Deluxe Birth by Remix edition despite this fact.

I have a problem, friends.

No. I am the problem, friends.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As a fellow gears lover this is me too, I loved Ryse and I'm getting similar vibes. No bad thing.

The setting is getting my rocks off.

Goddamn Ryse was good. Real good.

Verendus

Banned
What I don't understand is why people think that any of the big 3 are fighting over meaningful money. They're going to war over infertile land, while the mobile devs and platforms are enjoying the most wonderful farming land known to mankind.
There's a lot of money in this market. The focus now isn't about just hardware and software sales, but about recurrent consumer spend, average revenue per user, and services potential moving forward across differing platforms (TV, Mobile, and so on). Emerging markets are also experiencing significant growth, with expectations for them to steadily grow over the coming decade. Markets like India, and even South America, show good potential for mobile, but there's potential there to incentivise software services to drive in further revenue. Mobile is a very different market with its own set of challenges, and with the variables present, you can't control it in any significant way. There's a lot more thought that goes into this than what you tend to find on GAF, which is pretty much just how many consoles and games have been sold. That tends to be a pretty shallow way of looking at things now.

It's so good.

Balee dat.

Personally, I've seen nothing in The Order's gameplay that make me say "wow, I have to play that". The art direction's wonderful and I'm intrigued by the story and the setting, but as someone who isn't a huge fan of TPS I'm not overly enthused about it.

imBask

Banned
can we have a Wrestling Fans Gaming Discussion Superclub OT? I would never have to visit the gaming side ever again

Whaaaaat? Man, Ground Zeroes was fucking incredible. That sounds so insane to me that you wouldn't enjoy it. Sounded like it's right up your alley. Goddamn I loved it.

Kiefer Sutherland ruins the game for me. He is a terrible Snake. I didn't like the control and gameplay "enhancements" either. It just felt like they were mainstreaming Metal Gear.

It also felt like it was a little too vulgar and graphic just so Kojima could be like "Look at how controversial my game is. I am such an artist."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot of money in this market. The focus now isn't about just hardware and software sales, but about recurrent consumer spend, average revenue per user, and services potential moving forward across differing platforms (TV, Mobile, and so on). Emerging markets are also experiencing significant growth, with expectations for them to steadily grow over the coming decade. Markets like India, and even South America, show good potential for mobile, but there's potential there to incentivise software services to drive in further revenue. Mobile is a very different market with its own set of challenges, and with the variables present, you can't control it in any significant way. There's a lot more thought that goes into this than what you tend to find on GAF, which is pretty much just how many consoles and games have been sold. That tends to be a pretty shallow way of looking at things now.

The way I see it (layman's, of course - this isn't anything close to my job and I'm not going to pretend to have a clue) is that mobile is far easier to penetrate into those emerging markets due to the necessity of having a phone as compared to a console's struggle. Naturally there's other factors at play as well, but I'm not going to pretend to understand. It's interesting and in another life, I would really like to dig in to that business and see where the real players are moving towards and why.

Verendus

Banned
Kiefer Sutherland ruins the game for me. He is a terrible Snake. I didn't like the control and gameplay "enhancements" either. It just felt like they were mainstreaming Metal Gear.

It also felt like it was a little too vulgar and graphic just so Kojima could be like "Look at how controversial my game is. I am such an artist."
It was a bit weird hearing him first, but I think I'll get used to him soon enough. Big Boss is a pretty terrible character, so this is a good way to differentiate him from the one true Snake.

I'm really looking forward to MGSV. It's been seven years since the last one, and I didn't like that, so it feels like it's a long time coming that I get a MGS game that I really enjoy. This was one of my favourite franchises.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I won't disagree with that second point. Kojima needs his hands cut off and a good ball stamping.

Marvel

could never
Kiefer was on Top Gear the other week. Disappointed he didn't wear an eye patch or even plug the game.

Hayter would have.

"Hey... Jeremy did you er, did you know I am in Hideo Kojima-sans next installment of Metal Gear Solid? it's called 'Phantom Pain' I'm the voice actor of Big Boss...but I've always played the part of legendary solider Solid Snake, this character has a robotic hand and an awesome wolf companion"

Jezza: Solid what?

Zach

I love Hideo Kojima and Metal Gear. Can't wait for The Phantom Pain.

And guys, I beat Stage 7 of God Hand last night. It's so hard, man. I'm worried there's going to be some even-more-outrageous-than-usual-for-this-game boss at the end and I'll never be able to beat it. D:

Sephzilla

As a Kojima fan I'm more excited for Silent Hills than I am for MGS5 (not to imply I'm not excited for MGS5). I'm excited to see Kojima do something new. PT alone was one of the most terrifying experiences I've had in gaming.

Marvel

could never
As a Kojima fan I'm more excited for Silent Hills than I am for MGS5 (not to imply I'm not excited for MGS5). I'm excited to see Kojima do something new. PT alone was one of the most terrifying experiences I've had in gaming.

PT broke me. (and very nearly my ps4)

However as you just said, I too am very excited to see his new project. Even if I am too much of a bitchmade pussy to actually play it through myself.

Thank goodness for Twitch, my mrs wouldn't play it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It's easy to make something when you don't have to give it a story or make it make sense.

Top Bottom