• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

tm24

Any thoughts on these random games I bought on a whim yesterday?:

Bayonetta 2 (+1)
Dead Rising 3
Ryse
Killer 7
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Afrika

Also, isn't Bayonetta hard? It's not God Hand hard, right? Right?
Bayonetta has difficulty levels so its nothing to worry about. Eventually you'll get better at the game and work yourself up.

Killer7 is a great looking game, shitty game.

Sephzilla

Bayonetta 2 (+1)
Dead Rising 3
Ryse
Killer 7
Afrika

Bayo for WiiU = Great. It's hard but it's not God Hand.
Dead Rising 3 is fun enough.
Ryze I haven't played, heard mixed reactions from.
Havent played Killer 7
MGS: Twin Snakes gets hated by MGS hardcores for bullet time cutscenes
Never heard of Afrika

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was listening to more carny ass wrestling podcasts and one of them brought up a VERY interesting point.

20 years ago almost to the month the WWF gave a (sub) main event match between a tall, handsome (some might even say sexy) against a smaller, fan favorite wrestler where the smaller, fan favorite wrestler was supposed to make the big guy look amazing for his year long title run. The smaller guy instead make himself look like a million bucks in his loss and brought himself back into the hearts and minds of the WWF and a perennial title contender.

Bayonetta 2 (+1)
Dead Rising 3
Ryse
Killer 7
Afrika

All fun games but no opinion on Afrika, never played that one. Bayo isn't that hard, there's also an easy difficulty setting if you want.

JavyOO7

Nintendo are on their own for the foreseeable future in regards to 3rd parties. Unless they come out with a carbon copy of ps5/Xbox4 and listen and cater to every single demand from 3rd parties. I'm not sure if Nintendo even wants to go to that route.

They'll always have token 3rd party developers. All Nintendo can really do, besides expanding to include more studios on the NA side of things besides Retro Studio and NST, is continue making partnerships. I'm thinking in the vein of Monster Games and Next Level Games, for instance.

Zach

Oh, I used to have Twin Snakes. I don't know what happened to it. I prefer playing it to the original. I AM SORRY.

I don't actually know how the Wii U works at all. I barely play games at all anymore and haven't bought a new system since the Wii...and the PS2 before that. I've missed the past two generations, basically.

Wii U is amazing. Everyone should just go buy a Wii U now.

Sephzilla

Nintendo are on their own for the foreseeable future in regards to 3rd parties. Unless they come out with a carbon copy of ps5/Xbox4 and listen and cater to every single demand from 3rd parties. I'm not sure if Nintendo even wants to go to that route.

They'll always have token 3rd party developers. All Nintendo can really do, besides expanding to include more studios on the NA side of things besides Retro Studio and NST, is continue making partnerships. I'm thinking in the vein of Monster Games and Next Level Games, for instance.

I think they'd win back a lot of 3rd party devs if they just cut out the gimmicky shit and embraced the online world a little more. Nintendo is that 65 year old man who's still thinks that if he posts a comment on Facebook the internet will somehow hack his computer and steal his 401k.

Toki767

Bayonetta 2 (+1)
Dead Rising 3
Ryse
Killer 7
Afrika

Bayonetta 2 is the rightful game of the year of 2014. Play 1 first if you haven't. It's also great.

Dead Rising 3 I didn't really enjoy much, though I did play the Xbox One version. It's just not as light-hearted as the original.

Ryse is pretty. Play on higher difficulty to get rid of color-coded combat.

Killer 7 is fun, but it's a Suda51 game so you kinda know what to expect.

MGS: The Twin Snakes I believe had performance issues on Gamecube, but overall still good especially if you didn't play the original MGS1.

Afrika looks really pretty in some parts. The save file size is huge.

Thorakai

Real talk: Final Fantasy VI is easily the best FF game ever, and no game since has even come close to matching it.

FFXII's gambit system is so good that I would rank it above my nostalgia-favorite FFVII. I would also put FFXI in the conversations as the best, but since its an MMO its understanble people haven't been exposed to its greatness.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bayonetta 2 - Bought it the same day I got Fantasy Life. Expected to only play Fantasy Life while Bayo 1/2 were downloading, instead played Fantasy Life for about a month straight and haven't been back to it yet.
DR 3 - Haven't played it. Loved the DLC expansion though for its FNP attitude. Didn't like 2 at all, loved 1.
Ryse - Played it for about three minutes one day. Hated it.
Killer 7 - Bananas game. Should have been rereleased on the Wii considering the game would be about a billion times better with pointer controls.
Twin Snakes - Haters be damned, this is the best version of MGS1. The complainers complain about the over the top cutscenes when that's the direction the series went. They also complained how first person makes the game easy when instead they upped the intelligence and tenacity of the guards ten fold to make up for it. The only issues I have with the game is no VR training, the new individual boss music largely sucks, and the eyes on the models are crazy looking.
Afrika - No opinion.

Bandini

Real talk: Final Fantasy VI is easily the best FF game ever, and no game since has even come close to matching it.

Agreed, I bought a Playstation in anticipation of VII, which was easily my most anticipated game of all time. After 3 days of skipping school I found myself fairly let down when it just didn't hit the high notes nearly as well as VI.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
V has slowly creeped up on VI as my favorite FF game.

VII gets a lot of hipster hate these days when it is in fact a groundbreaking achievement. It really desperately could use a new localization though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
anyone wanna talk about Gears of War? Do you love it or hate it?

final fantasy vii is one of the greatest games of all time, imo. A super talented and ambitious studio havin' a FnP time on all brand new hardware and techniques. Sure its clumsy but so much of it works. I can still recall nearly ever pre-rendered background and the touches of cinematography they brought to gaming that the current age of behind the shoulder cams is eroding (also see REmake for the maturation of the form). And as much as I think VIII is Uematsu's best work, how the soundtrack was utilized and chosen here for accompanying scenes and areas is much better.

People always talk about gaming's citizen kane but it already happened, this was it. To see a game like FFVII after a childhood of playign NES and Genesis was just so next level.

But I also really like big fat clumsy maximalist games like sanic adventure so, I dunno take it with a grain of salt. There will never be another FFVII.

Gears was easily my most memorable experience on the 360...despite that behind the shoulder cam!!!! ANYA DIVERT THE CARTS

Sephzilla

Love Gears 1. Enjoyed Gears 2. Didn't finish Gears 3 because I got bored. Didn't play Judgement.

Gears from a gameplay point of view is fun as hell. The story needed to take itself a little less seriously and be a bit more FnP though.

¡HarlequinPanic!;150773399 said:
final fantasy vii is one of the greatest games of all time, imo. A super talented and ambitious studio havin' a FnP time on all brand new hardware and techniques. Sure its clumsy but so much of it works. I can still recall nearly ever pre-rendered background and the touches of cinematography they brought to gaming that the current age of behind the shoulder cams is eroding (also see REmake for the maturation of the form). And as much as I think VIII is Uematsu's best work, how the soundtrack was utilized and chosen here for accompanying scenes and areas is much better.

People always talk about gaming's citizen kane but it already happened, this was it. To see a game like FFVII after a childhood of playign NES and Genesis was just so next level.

But I also really like big fat clumsy maximalist games like sanic adventure so, I dunno take it with a grain of salt. There will never be another FFVII.

Gears was easily my most memorable experience on the 360...despite that behind the shoulder cam!!!! ANYA DIVERT THE CARTS

I think people vastly underestimate how important FF7 was to the PlayStation brand as well. FF7 made the PS1 legit in the eyes of many. That was WCW signing Hogan.

XenoRaven

Bayonetta 2 - Bought it the same day I got Fantasy Life. Expected to only play Fantasy Life while Bayo 1/2 were downloading, instead played Fantasy Life for about a month straight and haven't been back to it yet.
DR 3 - Haven't played it. Loved the DLC expansion though for its FNP attitude. Didn't like 2 at all, loved 1.
Ryse - Played it for about three minutes one day. Hated it.
Killer 7 - Bananas game. Should have been rereleased on the Wii considering the game would be about a billion times better with pointer controls.
Twin Snakes - Haters be damned, this is the best version of MGS1. The complainers complain about the over the top cutscenes when that's the direction the series went. They also complained how first person makes the game easy when instead they upped the intelligence and tenacity of the guards ten fold to make up for it. The only issues I have with the game is no VR training, the new individual boss music largely sucks, and the eyes on the models are crazy looking.
Afrika - No opinion.
Guess I'm damned then because TTS is dumb as hell.

Better than not experiencing the game at all I guess.

Big fan of Gears 1 because it nailed the atmosphere and horror. Gears 2 botched it by going bigger, badder and more explosive, and Gears was just bland.

Sephzilla

You both like boring games I guess.

What games do you like, son?

tumblr_myhqrspQq21shf9jmo1_400.gif

Zach

Bayonetta 2 is the rightful game of the year of 2014. Play 1 first if you haven't. It's also great.

Ryse is pretty. Play on higher difficulty to get rid of color-coded combat.

Afrika looks really pretty in some parts. The save file size is huge.

• I plan to play the first Bayonetta... erm... first.
  • I'll keep Ryse's weenie difficulty in mind, but I may need something simple to get over God Hand...
  • Mentioning Afrika's large file size made me laugh. I don't know why.
Anyway, I'm feeling pretty okay with my purchases based off of your guys' thoughts. Thanks, sirs.

Verendus

Banned
Big fan of TPS so I liked these. I've played the first two and both were good. Bigger fan of how Gears 1 felt in terms of atmosphere, but I remember completing Gears of War 2 in co-op which was a lot of fun.

I was thinking of this the other day, but it had been almost two years since the last big TPS title in The Last of Us. This year we have The Order: 1886 (delivered), Quantum Break, and Uncharted 4 confirmed for release. Then there are more on the way next year and beyond.

It feels good to be a TPS fan right now. This must be how FPS fans feel every year.

Sephzilla

I'd strongly recommend playing through Bayonetta 1 before going into 2, even if you've played it previously. It really makes you appreciate how much better Bayonetta 2 is.

Devil May Cry 3 is still better than either of them, though

Bandini

FFXII's gambit system is so good that I would rank it above my nostalgia-favorite FFVII. I would also put FFXI in the conversations as the best, but since its an MMO its understanble people haven't been exposed to its greatness.

FFXI is the game that pretty much ruined gaming for me... not from being bad but being too engrossing. I mess around with new games every once in a while but generally get bored quickly. The gear swap system in XI combined with macros and scripting makes for so much depth in the game play... not to mention how much stuff there is to collect, some great mission lines, and truly challenging content. With a wife, a full time job, and studying for tech certifications I just don't have the time to invest anymore. It sucks.

Sephzilla

I'd rather have a Gears remaster collection than H5 at this point I think. Could change my mind though.

I know wanting remasters is kind of looked down upon, but there are a few PS4/XB1 remasters/remakes I legit want.

-Demon's Souls/Dark Souls 1
-Gears
-An actual FF7 remake
-Resident Evil REMake 2
-Mass Effect Trilogy

Sephzilla

Final Fantasy 9. I made a thread on why I don't like FF6, so I won't go into detail. It's not nearly as bad as FF4, though. FF4 is the Roman Reigns promo of the series.

FF9 is legit too, so I can't object to you liking that one. IMO it's the last truly great Final Fantasy game. I like FF4 but it has to be played from the perspective of "this is the game we got after FF1, 2 and 3". It's a big step up from those games.

I'd rather play Chrono Trigger over all of them, though.

Top Bottom