• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Anth0ny

All I'm gonna say is that if you actually participated in WWE's online poll about who "deserves" a main event slot or whatever while simultaneously bemoaning the product, then you're the perfect WWE fan. You're exactly who Vince and Hunter want to aim for, because they know you're going to keep paying for something you claim to hate. And as far as I'm concerned, you forfeited your rights to complain about the product by participating in that poll.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to click on those links dream provided because I'm not a fucking mark.

I think you're just mad that the #YESMOVEMENT is stronger than ever, friend.

Marvel

could never
Just woke up, had the best night sleep in ages friends. Feel great.
sojBpDa.gif

What subscription services (WWE Network, Marvel Unlimited, Crunchyroll) are you guys signed up for and what's your total monthly bill?

I'm not sign up for squat.
I've got WWE Network I'm running out the time on, and ICW On Demand I need to cancel once I'm done with what I want to watch, so actually subscribed to long term:

Google Play All Access
Netflix
Amazon Prime

As mentioned, that's probably at least 2 years down the road for me, but I'm looking forward to it. Going to enjoy the ride of this one in 30-60 minute increments before bed for the next few weeks. Really happy that Nintendo and its systems are still keeping platformers alive.

Games I've bought and that will keep me busy for the next few years...

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Rayman Origins
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid: Other M
Xenoblade Chronicles

...and about 10 more.
Go play No More Heroes. Don't come back until you're done Backfist/Tiger Suplex comboing.

chunk3rvd

NJPW spoiler from today's show:

The Young Bucks just won the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag belts again. Wonder what this means for ROH's anniversary show? Will both titles be on the line?

Aiii

So not worth it
What subscription services (WWE Network, Marvel Unlimited, Crunchyroll) are you guys signed up for and what's your total monthly bill?

Prices in Euro per month.

Spotify (9,99), Netflix (7,15), Hulu (28 euro for an entire year so no monthly charge), NJPW World (7,67), WWE Network (8,21), Unblock-US so I can actually use Hulu and Netflix (3,59).

I also sub to Loot Crate, but that's a physical sub (just under 27 euro). I'm also subbed to F4W, but I'm letting that laps this month (roughly 9 Euro a month).

All in all I'm signed up for tons of stuff. Once Formula 1 is back on TV, I'm also out another 9,99 for a Dutch Sports Channel so I can watch the races. :(

On the other hand, streaming is pretty much the only way I consume media these days, I haven't watched TV other than a few isolated incidents for several years now.

Netflix
WWE Network
WoW (I keep forgetting to cancel)

What's Marvel Unlimited? I keep forgetting to sign up to NJPWorld too, and last night I thought I'd sign up to an indie world service too (even though that would probably never happen).

Alucard

Banned
I've got WWE Network I'm running out the time on, and ICW On Demand I need to cancel once I'm done with what I want to watch, so actually subscribed to long term:

Google Play All Access
Netflix
Amazon Prime

Go play No More Heroes. Don't come back until you're done Backfist/Tiger Suplex comboing.

That's one of the games I own as well. It's on the backlog. Also have Red Steel and Red Steel 2. The Wii is a super fun machine, friends.

NJPW spoiler from today's show:

The Young Bucks just won the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag belts again. Wonder what this means for ROH's anniversary show? Will both titles be on the line?

It'll likely just be the ROH tag titles. Regardless, really looking forward to the match and the Anniversary Show in general.

Alucard

Banned
Full Smackdown spoilers. A 5-segment show with the last long one being the only one worth watching. And Daniel Bryan looks strong.

Kane and Big Show got the tag teams together to hype tonight's Tag Team Turmoil including Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns.

1. Bray Wyatt defeated R-Truth via pinfall after Sister Abigail.

2. Paige beat Summer Rae via submission. The Bella Twins were out on commentary. Paige won via submission with the PTO. Paige yelled at the Bellas after the match. Paige got a solid pop as she came out, but the crowd was dead for the match.

3. Fandango defeated Adam Rose via pinfall after a top rope leg drop. After the match, Rose beat up some Rosebuds.

A Rusev and John Cena recap from Raw was shown.

4. Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns in a Tag Team Turmoil match. It started with Bryan and Reigns vs. Miz and Mizdow. The crowd LOVES Mizdow. Lots of unplanned tags with both teams, and Reigns/Bryan won as Bryan got a pinfall over Miz after a running high knee.
The Usos came out next. The crowd was unsure who to root for, but a Daniel Bryan chant broke out midway. A long, slow, and boring match with lots of tag drama. Great ending sequence with chaos and suicide dives that ended with Bryan and Reigns winning via submission with the Yes Lock. Afterward, Reigns broke the hold and was angry with Bryan for not releasing the hold fast enough.
Los Matadores were out next. A very quick match that saw Bryan and Reigns win via submission with the Yes Lock.

Slater Gator lasted about 45 seconds and fell by pinfall after a spear by Reigns.
Konnor and Viktor come out after a short break. The Ascension dominated the match and hit the Fall of Man on Bryan before pulling Reigns into the ring. They were prevented from attacking him by a phalanx of referees. A DQ maybe?

Big Show and Kane came out while Reigns and Bryan still down and out. It was back and forth for a bit with Bryan playing babyface in peril until the tag team issues infected Show and Kane. Bryan reversed a chokeslam into a Yes Lock, which led to Kane making the save and getting KO punched. Reigns hit a spear, which was followed by Bryan with a running knee and a pin. They celebrated in the ring and looked meaningfully at the WrestleMania sign. Daniel Bryan led a Yes! chant to end the show.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ah, I can deal with that as long as the backlog is vast. How's the browsing on an ipad, does it 'click' to frames like CBR would do?

It's exactly the same as their regular Comixology-based app, down to the video extras and stuff they do in their regular digitals.

Alucard

Banned
Read some NJPW spoilers...

AJ Styles is the new champ.

Doc and Gallows are the new tag champs.

The Young Bucks are the new Jr. tag champsm

Bullet Club is running wild. Not happy about Doc and Gallows. Makes Shibata and Goto's win at WK9 feel almost worthless.

Earlier on, Heel, I referenced the Starrcade 93 match between Big Van Vader and Ric Flair. Here's a fantastic promo that Flair cut leading to the match. For context, this was after Flair returned to WCW for what many people expected to be his final run. Due to a non-compete clause, Flair had to host a talk show called "A Flair For the Gold" for a few months, but eventually returned to the ring to challenge Big Van Vader for the title. Now this was before Big Van Vader was a big fat piece of shit, and was quite possibly the scariest monster heel in pro wrestling--especially after his feud with Cactus Jack, which was notable for a level of brutality that we did not see in the 90s. Flair is in full-on babyface mode in a way he never was before, and never would be again after. They trotted out his family, including his useless son David and his dead son Reid. They introduced his wife at the time, Beth. I think even Charlotte Flair played a part in it. And this promo was just fantastic because it reminded us who Ric Flair was, letting us believe that he actually had a chance against the unstoppable monster (despite the stipulation that Flair put his career on the line all but tipping us off).

Two guys fighting to see who the best in the world is. A real main event. Because back then, we didn't have millennial fucks crying about how their favorite indie guy is being overlooked, forcing a company to dilute their main event by turning it into a three way, making it essentially meaningless.

Then, Heel, we have the match. Big Van Vader beating the hell out of Flair, the way he should have. Ric Flair winning with one of the most unexpected finishes you'll ever see in a match of this magnitude. A surprisingly mobile Harley Race coming off the top rope at the age of 78. Backstage segments with Stinger and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat that seemed so real because they were real. It was the perfect execution, giving us the perfect match where an aging legend battled the younger, stronger, unstoppable champion. Quite possibly the best match of that era, making WCW seem like the real wrestling company as opposed to all the tomfoolery WWF was doing at that time.

Then Hulk Hogan came in six months later.

Great summaries of one of my favourite feuds. I wasn't even around then, and am still confused as to why Hogan had so much damn influence. He was clearly crap at actually wrestling, the 1980s had passed, and while guys like Rude and Flair had adapted seamlessly to the times, Hogan did the same old shit.

... You were all every bit as stupid as current fans, you know.

Jamie OD

Read some NJPW spoilers...

AJ Styles is the new champ.

Doc and Gallows are the new tag champs.

The Young Bucks are the new Jr. tag champsm

Bullet Club is running wild. Not happy about Doc and Gallows. Makes Shibata and Goto's win at WK9 feel almost worthless.

On the surface it looks like New Japan pressed the reset button by putting so many titles back into Bullet Club. No problem with Styles and Bucks as champs but Karl & Doc haven't been great. The heavyweight tag division really needs a new lease of life and I was hoping Goto & Shibata would cause it. Jr. tag is fine since Bucks and Red Dragon are supposedly going to have a long feud in both America and Japan this year.The endgame for Styles might be to put over Okada but I'm just guessing.

Aiii

So not worth it
The way I see it NJPW
this year is going to be about Bullet Club dominating until next WK, where the New Japan group finally overcomes their reign of terror. By that time you can break the group up and resolve some feuds from there while Okada can go into a championship program with Nak or something.

Cagey

Banned
At least the NJPW fans can rest easy knowing that butthurt smarks won't attempt to ruin upcoming events by chanting loudly for their favorite wrestler who "deserves" a "push" at irrelevant times in the show.

I think. Feels more like a western shitty thing to do.

Ithil

At least the NJPW fans can rest easy knowing that butthurt smarks won't attempt to ruin upcoming events by chanting loudly for their favorite wrestler who "deserves" a "push" at irrelevant times in the show.

Damn that paying audience for actually wanting things they like.

Sou Da

I don't think you fully understand that word.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm gonna watch the show first before writing it off and condemning the direction they're taking.

Tanahashi got booed quite a bit during his 5th & 6th title reigns, mostly against guys like Nakamura, Kojima and Goto, but also against Suzuki which they actually made part of the storyline. It can happen when the paying crowd are dissatisfied with the direction, or sick of the guy at the top.

Shiv47

Watched the two most recent episodes of Lucha Underground as I discovered we get the Univision channel that shows it, but is there a legal way to see it in English? Dug the wrestling (aside from too many dives out of the ring, that got old), but knowing what the hell is going on story-wise would help.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Call me old fashioned, but I'm gonna watch the show first before writing it off and condemning the direction they're taking.

Don't we usually shit on WCW or WWE for booking something that
basically resets everything we just did? Isn't that the origin of 'fuck you, we got your money
?

Not feeling the ROH show at all, and it's ROH, so I doubt they'll actually have a good-looking setup. Hopefully they do, but they seem to be cursed by having low-end venues that can't actually use the lighting rig they bought.

Alucard

Banned

Tanahashi got booed quite a bit during his 5th & 6th title reigns, mostly against guys like Nakamura, Kojima and Goto, but also against Suzuki which they actually made part of the storyline. It can happen when the paying crowd are dissatisfied with the direction, or sick of the guy at the top.

I'm gonna watch the show and the matches too, but just reading it makes me a little ho-hum about
the tag titles in particular. Shibata and Goto are wicked. I wanted them to keep the belts and kick some ass for a bit. At least until April or beyond.

Speaking of subs, finally starting this damn Arrow show everyone is talking about. People were right, this is good stuff.

Indeed. Good lighting.

Watched the two most recent episodes of Lucha Underground as I discovered we get the Univision channel that shows it, but is there a legal way to see it in English? Dug the wrestling (aside from too many dives out of the ring, that got old), but knowing what the hell is going on story-wise would help.

Dailymotion.com is the only way I can watch it. Are you able to get El Rey?

I want to order the ROH show, but I don't think I can trust them to pull off an iPPV without a hitch. Perhaps if this one goes well I'll give them another shot, but man, it feels like I've been talking about ROH iPPVs rife with technical problems for years now.

Don't we usually shit on WCW or WWE for booking something that
basically resets everything we just did? Isn't that the origin of 'fuck you, we got your money
?

I guess, but I'm not going to try and defend or dismiss it until I've seen everything in context and I'm also willing to give New Japan the benefit of the doubt, mainly because while they've had a bunch of missteps over the past few years I've largely enjoyed the product.

Top Bottom