• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

dream

serenewarfare left out one of the more interesting pieces of analysis:

Right now, Lesnar is a heel fans want to cheer for. Bryan is the most popular wrestler in the company, but also, for the first time, is clearly getting the beginnings of a backlash. Reigns is popular with girls and women, but the winning of the Rumble killed him as far as TV crowds went. At the arenas over the weekend, Reigns and Bryan were almost completely cheered, although there were attempts to boo Reigns in Jacksonville.

Bryan & Reigns had a lot of interaction at television, with Reigns acting as the subtle, and even not-so-subtle heel, and being booed. On Raw, whenever Reigns would hit a big move, the crowd would cheer the move, and then boo him. It was back-and-forth on him all night whether he was cheered or booed, but definitely more boos and at no point did he feel like a guy who should be top face, and it was never the super fervent cheers and super loud boos like Cena would get before TV crowds where it’s clear he’s the superstar on the show even though a lot of people don’t like him.

One person live said Bryan was cheered for the most part, but when he issued the line about how everyone knows I’m the better wrestler, that it was, at best, 50% cheers. Whenever he interacted with Reigns, Bryan was the one cheered.

It's like I said to Heel: giving in to the whiny cunts and putting Daniel Bryan in the mix with Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar just dilutes everything and makes all three of them look weak.

It's like I said to Heel: giving in to the whiny cunts and putting Daniel Bryan in the mix with Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar just dilutes everything and makes all three of them look weak.

Sounds more to me like Reigns shouldn't be in the spot and Bryan should have won the Rumble. Which is exactly what Meltzer said, and had been saying ever since Bryan came back.

tm24

Apparently on LU Vampiro called Ricky Mandel Rick martell multiple times.

How he didnt win worst announcer is beyond me. But remember people, Vampiro isn't gay

Ithil

Or you could just...not put someone shit that the audience doesn't want, in the spot?

Sephzilla

Translation : Roman should have never been in the main event picture period.

dream

Sounds more to me like Reigns shouldn't be in the spot and Bryan should have won the Rumble. Which is exactly what Meltzer said, and had been saying ever since Bryan came back.

Sure. But the damage has been done and they should have protected their main event. Now they have a main event on their biggest show of the year that means nothing at all.

Cagey

Banned
The issue is the portion of the crowd who cheers who they want and boos who they want without concern to storyline. A part of the crowd cheers good guys like Bryan and Reigns and boos bad guys like Lesnar. If all three switched tomorrow, Lesnar gets cheered by them and the other two get booed.

Then there's the other portion who are forcing what they want. Currently that means cheering Lesnar, cheering Bryan, booing Reigns. They've inverted two of the three.

Given last year, you either decide to tell the damn story you're scripting to tell instead of caving to that one segment, or admit you've ceded control.

dream

The thing about Daniel Bryan fans that WWE doesn't understand is that while they are whiny bitches, they are also forgiving whiny bitches. They'll be back next week. They'll watch WrestleMania. They'll be here again next January to cry about how Daniel Bryan isn't in the main event picture for WrestleMania. Not sure why WWE constantly caves.

That would work if the story they were scripting was one worth cheering. You don't have to "cede control", you just have to make better decisions and book things right. Once things got changed last year, there was not revolt. When Lesnar beat the hell out of Cena, there was no revolt. People have deluded themselves into thinking that there are people who will boo a guy just because he's pushed. That's not the case. If Roman was ready for the spot he was in and was performing at a level expected of a Mania main event-er, nobody would be booing him. But he's not. I said it the night of the Rumble. This is not a "Daniel Bryan or no one thing". It's a "give the spot to someone who deserves it" thing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm sure ill regret asking, but I have to...

What's this about Rollins' dick? o_O

dream

Let's not forget, serenewarfare, that beneath all the noise, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Roman Reigns as the top babyface. Let's not forget that he was legitimately voted Superstar of the Year in a shoot poll.

Let's not forget, serenewarfare, that beneath all the noise, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Roman Reigns as the top babyface. Let's not forget that he was legitimately voted Superstar of the Year in a shoot poll.

That poll is irrelevant if he can't perform at the level expected of a top guy, both in-ring and as a draw.

Alucard

Banned
The thing about Daniel Bryan fans that WWE doesn't understand is that while they are whiny bitches, they are also forgiving whiny bitches. They'll be back next week. They'll watch WrestleMania. They'll be here again next January to cry about how Daniel Bryan isn't in the main event picture for WrestleMania. Not sure why WWE constantly caves.

The idea of WWE "constantly" caving is pretty dramatic. It happened once. That's it. And it was the right call. This year, there are zero compelling narratives going into the Mania main event, and it's the WWE's fault.

ysFs1gl.gif

dream

That poll is irrelevant if he can't perform at the level expected of a top guy, both in-ring and as a draw.

But he was performing just fine in both capacities until he was poisoned by the toxicity of Daniel Bryan fans (who, from everything bean breath has told me, seem to get REALLY upset at the idea of fans liking Roman Reigns) and inane promo lines.

Let's not forget, serenewarfare, that Roman Reigns still gets big pops at house shows, and he's even starting to get a good reaction on TV again now that he's no longer saying dumb shit.

Ithil

The issue is the portion of the crowd who cheers who they want and boos who they want without concern to storyline. A part of the crowd cheers good guys like Bryan and Reigns and boos bad guys like Lesnar. If all three switched tomorrow, Lesnar gets cheered by them and the other two get booed.

Then there's the other portion who are forcing what they want. Currently that means cheering Lesnar, cheering Bryan, booing Reigns. They've inverted two of the three.

Given last year, you either decide to tell the damn story you're scripting to tell instead of caving to that one segment, or admit you've ceded control.

Reigns isn't even likable in the story. He's been written as a dickhead. He also isn't performing well in this spotlight.
I don't get the "cheer the face because he's the face". They have actual likable faces who have earned cheers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Google will answer your questions. Just make sure you type in "uncensored" if you want to see it. Go on. We'll wait.

Im not sure I want to, I'm not sure how literal you guys are being. I'm afraid all I'll have to say after is post the "I don't know what I expected" gif

jred2k

Could someone better than me photoshop this to say "Roman's Belee Dat or Not!"/

1346866934_ripleys_believe_it_or_not-show.jpg

Im not sure I want to, I'm not sure how literal you guys are being. I'm afraid all I'll have to say after is post the "I don't know what I expected" gif

His fiance found out he was cheating(?)/had pics of an NXT Diva naked on his phone. She proceeded to tweet out the naked girl as well as two naked pics of Seth using his Twitter account.

Alucard

Banned
That would work if the story they were scripting was one worth cheering. You don't have to "cede control", you just have to make better decisions and book things right. Once things got changed last year, there was not revolt. When Lesnar beat the hell out of Cena, there was no revolt. People have deluded themselves into thinking that there are people who will boo a guy just because he's pushed. That's not the case. If Roman was ready for the spot he was in and was performing at a level expected of a Mania main event-er, nobody would be booing him. But he's not. I said it the night of the Rumble. This is not a "Daniel Bryan or no one thing". It's a "give the spot to someone who deserves it" thing.

I'm sure fans would've marked out for Ziggler, Wyatt, or Ambrose winning the Rumble. There are better choices out there.

But he was performing just fine in both capacities until he was poisoned by the toxicity of Daniel Bryan fans (who, from everything bean breath has told me, seem to get REALLY upset at the idea of fans liking Roman Reigns) and inane promo lines.

Let's not forget, serenewarfare, that Roman Reigns still gets big pops at house shows, and he's even starting to get a good reaction on TV again now that he's no longer saying dumb shit.

TO6KcGz.gif

ysFs1gl.gif

Rhaknar

Now that's a nutted but she still suckin gif if I ever saw one

His decline in performance correlates with the Rumble. You can blame Bryan, you can blame his promo writing, or you can blame his not being ready to be at the top. There is no way to definitively say one thing did him in. And at the end of the day, reactions, both positive and negative, are meaningless if you cannot draw. It's why Sting never worked as the guy. He got reactions, but he couldn't draw long-term. Same with guys like Batista, Luger, and Orton. You push the guy who has the best combination of attributes that give you the best opportunity to make money. Roman has shown nothing in his run to indicate he is that guy.

dream

I think the biggest mistake, serenewarfare, was putting Daniel Bryan in the Royal Rumble. It's a decision that baffles me. This could have been avoided had they brought him back in February.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the biggest mistake, serenewarfare, was putting Daniel Bryan in the Royal Rumble. It's a decision that baffles me. This could have been avoided had they brought him back in February.

For sure. It showcased him as a failure by his own actions, not the actions of the "almighty" WWE. There was nowhere for Bryan fans to turn their hate.

I think it was a bad decision, yeah. But I honestly believe that this backlash against Roman happens regardless. Maybe it isn't as bad, but I think it has more to do with Roman and less to do with Bryan.

Alucard

Banned
We need to stop posting the Seth texts. That's a dude's personal life. All dudes type similarly if they have a booty call. It's only embarrassing 'cause you're reading it out of context. Otherwise, he's typing like any other late teen or twenty something to a girl he's getting with.

Or you could just...not put someone shit that the audience doesn't want, in the spot?

I would argue that the audience that goes to house shows and cheers Reigns matters more to the WWE than a bunch of smarks who pirate PPV's and whine online, and might show up to a RAW in a smarky city.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We need to stop posting the Seth texts. That's a dude's personal life. All dudes type similarly if they have a booty call. It's only embarrassing 'cause you're reading it out of context. Otherwise, he's typing like any other late teen or twenty something to a girl he's getting with.

Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you...

Alucard

Banned
I think it was a bad decision, yeah. But I honestly believe that this backlash against Roman happens regardless. Maybe it isn't as bad, but I think it has more to do with Roman and less to do with Bryan.

Ding ding ding. This really isn't a pro Bryan thing. It's an anti guy who's not ready and who's been made to look like a doofus thing.

Top Bottom