• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jesus christ, dying here

WwwmoGU.jpg

The title of 'developmental" is useless when talking about guys like Zayn, Neville and Balor. Those guys are ready for prime time, they just aren't there yet. The idea that a guy can't get a fast push because it is fast is dumb. If a guy shows that he is ready for that, and the crowd takes to him, then strap the rocket to him. I'm not saying that'll happen with any of these guys, but denying a fast push because it is fast is a bad decision. Deny a fast push due to lack of heat or readiness.

jmdajr

Business stuffs

WWE REPORTS Q4 2014 RESULTS STAMFORD, Conn., February 12, 2015 – WWE (NYSE:WWE) today announced financial results for its fourth quarter ended December 31, 2014. Revenues for the quarter increased 19% to $140.5 million from $118.4 million in the fourth quarter last year. For the quarter, the Company reported a Net loss of $1.6 million, or $0.02 loss per share, as compared to a Net loss of $7.9 million, or $0.10 loss per share, in the prior year quarter. The revenue increase was driven by the Network and Television segments with earnings growth driven primarily by the rise in television rights fees. Excluding items affecting comparability, Adjusted OIBDA increased to $5.1 million from a loss of $5.6 million and Adjusted Net loss was $0.6 million, or $0.01 loss per share, as compared to a Net loss of $7.9 million, or $0.10 loss per share, in the prior year quarter.

“During the quarter, we remained focused on growing WWE Network, which surpassed 1 million subscribers in January 2015, just 11 months after launch. Subscriber growth was driven by a successful free November promotion, the launch of the service in the UK and the strength of our Royal Rumble event,” stated Vince McMahon, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “We believe that our 2015 road map provides significant opportunities for growth, as we continue to execute well, innovate faster and expand WWE Network, the single greatest opportunity to transform WWE’s business model.”

“In the fourth quarter, we continued to execute our WWE Network strategy, and we generated earnings growth driven by the escalation of our television rights fees. For the quarter, our adjusted OIBDA surpassed our most recent public guidance associated with an average of 721,000 paid subscribers,” added George Barrios, Chief Strategy & Financial Officer. “Over the year, key brand metrics remained strong. Raw and SmackDown TV ratings increased 2% and 3%, respectively. Consumption of WWE content on YouTube increased more than 80% to approximately 3.9 billion video views and our social media presence grew more than 80% and recently surpassed 450 million followers. Importantly, we believe that we have reached a financial inflection point. In 2015, we expect year-over-year Adjusted OIBDA growth in every quarter, with growth driven by the performance of WWE Network, the escalation of our television rights fees as well as continued innovation across our businesses.”

MC Safety

Becky got in some good offense last night, well, everyone did in the F4W, I really wished she wasn't so gimmick confused.

Becky Lynch is great, but someone should take her aside and tell her to can it with the devil horns and sneering/grimacing every two seconds. It's somehow worse than her coming to the ring and doing -- I am not making this up -- an Irish jig.

XenoRaven

RE: Finn Balor push stuff from the last page that I couldn't respond to because I was getting ready for work.

I think this applies to absolutely anyone on the WWE roster right now. The best favor that WWE can do for these guys is to help them find their thing, and then get out of their way. I suppose that's all easier said than done, but anything in WWE that I've liked that was getting momentum started to get stale once WWE took notice of it and started actively trying to push it. Examples; Fandangoing, YES! Movement segments, Dean Ambrose is CUHRAAZY, Roman Reigns's ridiculous babyface push. It's like when you're a teenager and you have certain terms or inside jokes between your friends and you have fun with it up until the point where your parents start using them and then it becomes uncool. WWE are the uncool parents. Stop trying so hard. You're paying talent 6-7 figures to be entertaining. Let them go be entertaining.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Somehow of all the Suzuki-gun members, Iizuka is the one who keeps getting the most singles matches in NOAH.

Iizuka, please go homu.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Becky Lynch is great, but someone should take her aside and tell her to can it with the devil horns and sneering/grimacing every two seconds. It's somehow worse than her coming to the ring and doing -- I am not making this up -- an Irish jig.

I dunno, those Riverdance moments were pretty horrific.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Boots, since you're awake right now, I want your thoughts on NXT and have some questions.

1. Does Itami need a better or more significant finisher?
2. Is Bull Dempsey salvageable? I think so but last night was pretty brutal.
3. How do you feel about Kevin Owens' win?
4. Do you feel Finn Balor is marketable? If so, how - beyond t-shirts?
5. Did you feel Itami and Breeze had great chemistry?
6. Thoughts on Sasha Banks as the NXT Women's Champion?
7. Do you think Bayley can 'get mean' convincingly? Not heel turn, but put on her serious face?

Hell, everyone can answer these, if you will. Kind of curious how people feel about it.

MC Safety

I dunno, those Riverdance moments were pretty horrific.

Yes. But as I recall, she only did one dance per match and never during her promotionals.

Those stupid faces and the devil horns over and over again -- she's like the old lady at the rock concert who desperately wants you to know how extreme and headbanging she is.

Hey Boots, since you're awake right now, I want your thoughts on NXT and have some questions.

7. Do you think Bayley can 'get mean' convincingly? Not heel turn, but put on her serious face?

Hell, everyone can answer these, if you will. Kind of curious how people feel about it.

Yes just let him,use the GTS. Or,have like use ricochets,finisher

Bull needs a to be In tag team

Owned win is great, nxt really needed a monster heel.

Finn was sponsored by Armani. Dude has a great look

Cagey

Banned
Yes.gif

Hesfat.gif

Sogood.gif

Rickrudechicklipsherlips.gif

Jamie OD

I thought this Lynch girl had a heavy metal gimmick. But last night didn't look like it.

So really I don't know.

Corey Graves on commentary had a great line on last week's NXT about how Becky is just a poser. It went something like "She's the kind of girl who goes to a concert wearing the band's t-shirt."

XenoRaven

Corey Graves on commentary had a great line on last week's NXT about how Becky is just a poser. It went something like "She's the kind of girl who goes to a concert wearing the band's t-shirt."
Speaking to fans that go to WWE shows wearing WWE t-shirts.

Not yet. Taichi has had the most effective reign of terror in NOAH. He came out during a juniors match with Sabre Jr and Hirayanagi and repeatedly pushed them off the top rope whenever they tried to use it.
I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hard time finding an announcer that would be ok with have his shirt literally ripped off his back and then have some sort of paint substance sprayed in his face.

Side note, Taichi is great.

1. I think he does. His kicks look great, but they don't look strong enough for one big one to end a match, at least the way he does it. If he is going to use a kick, I'd prefer he use the question mark kick as it looks much more impressive.

2. I don't think so. No matter what, they have to go back to the drawing board with him. This version of him is completely killed.

3. I think it is a nice change of pace. We don't really get monster heels in NXT, at least not at the main event level. Most of the previous champs were faces and having a guy like Owens come in and dominate works because of its rarity. Also sets up for another Zayn redemption story.

4. Absolutely. I think he has a Jeff Hardy level of marketability, and Jeff sells a whole lot of merch. He's got good looks, so he is a good face to put on TV for media appearances and he carries himself like a star so he'll come across as such when he does stuff like that. His face paint will get him over with kids. His looks will get him over with women. And his in-ring and promo ability will get him over with men. Guy is a superstar.

5. I think they do. I think, barring the Balor match, Breeze has gotten the best out of Itami. Breeze's grind style meshes really well with Hideo's rough and sometimes ugly style.

6. Obviously I love the move. I think they are preparing Charlotte for a move to the main roster, and while I'm not sure if they will do right by her, there wasn't much left for her in NXT aside from rematches. Sasha has been amazing in her role ever since she turned heel, and I think her reign will be an amazing set-up for the big moment when Bayley finally overcomes her and takes the title for the first time.

7. I think it'll be a slow process. You can't go from nice babyface to intense overnight. It'll take some time for people to reconcile the new character change and it will take time for Bayley to hit the right tone. I do have faith that she can pull it off though, as I think she has shown good fire even throughout her "overly nice" babyface run to this point.

Ithil

Itami always has the GTS as a finisher he can go to eventually. What he does need is some cool signatures. His kicks look good now but he needs some familiar moves/sequences to give his matches more structure.

Bull's done, at least in that character. He's just not intimidating, and he's dull in the ring. Steen does that gimmick so much better that Bull is redundant.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNCGflkvTAg

Side note, Taichi is great.

I've always liked Taichi and Taka as little henchmen shits, but this invasion has been such a boost for them. Taichi, in particular which is crazy to think he was gonna retire a few months ago due to the scandal. It's also crazy to think this, but Taichi has been the most entertaining Suzuki-gun member in NOAH so far. And yes, over Suzuki. Because Suzuki is stuck dealing with Marufuji while Taichi gets to work with NOAH's world class juniors division. If you haven't seen it yet, Taichi/Sabre Jr. is very very good.

Ithil

On Bálor and merch, if you want to hit that Cena sweet spot, have him do variations of the same design for 3-4 big shows (like how he changed the mouth design for this one), and have his merch based on it (as his current shirts are). Then he switches to a new paint/gear design, and gets new merch to reflect it. He comes across as cool, and merch based directly on his crazy entrance will be something people want to buy.

Do that 2-3 times a year. Easy $$$.

Pizoxuat

Now granted Trips could be blowing smoke up our asses, but he did just specifically call out Balor as a guy who is focused on learning the WWE style of production. That in Japan they didn't worry about where the cameras were, but that he's specifically picking up and a little overwhelmed by the amount of camera-awareness the WWE wants from their talent. If the guy is still learning the fundamentals of how WWE runs a show, by god let him stay in developmental for a while longer and learn. They aren't keeping him there because they think he can't wrestle an awesome match, he's there because they know he can wrestle an awesome match and think he can learn to be awesome at everything else.

I have little doubt that he's going to go up sooner rather than later and that he's going to connect well with the fans. I don't see a pressing reason to do it before Wrestlemania. If Roman can't rescue himself with the return to being a soft-talking tweener with an attitude, and I doubt he can at this point, they have Bryan. I know a lot of you are down on him right now, but no matter what happens, a match with him and Brock is going to be great to watch.

First time I've seen Bull Dempsey, don't understand why people were interested in him. He was a total mess. I thought he did well not to throw himself over the top rope after the clothesline 'botch' then several seconds later with no one around him he flops himself over the top rope.

Botchamania indeed.

Jamie OD

1. Yes and it will be the Go 2 Sleep. He's been teasing it too much for there to be no payoff.

2. I would put him into a tag team now. But I can only see him on the same booking tier as someone like Big Cass. No higher unless the roster completely falls apart when the big names get promoted.

3. Took some time to sink in but Iike how it was done. We will be look back at it as a memorable moment for NXT.

4. Figures, clothing, costumes, posters, (dare I say it?) DLC for the games, etc. His demon look has won over loads of people but I am worried he'll do it in the wrong town and people will wonder what Boogeyman is doing here.

5. I thought it was Itami's best performance in NXT so far and Breeze bumped like a champ for him. I'd like to see more matches from them.

6. Well deserved. She's the best woman there at the moment. But as much as I think she can fit in with the Divas she will wind up like Summer Rae.

7. Last night is probably the closest Bayley will get to being mean. There was a moment where it looked like she was playing the same role Sami Zayn had in his 4 way match and just wiped everyone out.

XenoRaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNCGflkvTAg

I've always liked Taichi and Taka as little henchmen shits, but this invasion has been such a boost for them. Taichi, in particular which is crazy to think he was gonna retire a few months ago due to the scandal. It's also crazy to think this, but Taichi has been the most entertaining Suzuki-gun member in NOAH so far. And yes, over Suzuki. Because Suzuki is stuck dealing with Marufuji while Taichi gets to work with NOAH's world class juniors division. If you haven't seen it yet, Taichi/Sabre Jr. is very very good.
I think I've become really jaded because I so don't care when wrestlers cheat. I mean yeah, that's a scummy thing to do. But if you're not an alcoholic, a drug addict, you're not driving drunk, you're not assaulting people, you didn't murder anyone and you're not an accomplice to murder, I just don't see it as such a huge deal.

People were posting these texts or tweets or whatever of Seth flirting with other women and I'm just like "eh at least he's not married". I get that Taichi was, but I think a short suspension and a pay cut is about the worst he should have gotten and I'm glad he didn't retire.

First time I've seen Bull Dempsey, don't understand why people were interested in him. He was a total mess. I thought he did well not to throw himself over the top rope after the clothesline 'botch' then several seconds later with no one around him he flops himself over the top rope.

Botchamania indeed.

If figured any Bull intrigue here was some sort of inside joke, I could say the same for CAWbin but hey different strokes I suppose.
Both come across to me as bland as each other, biggish dudes without the presence or power to back up the gimmick.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I wish Sasha Banks had been around when the PTP were together. She could have been a wonderful mouthpiece and used them as muscle to get what she needed.

If figured any Bull intrigue here was some sort of inside joke, I could say the same for CAWbin but hey different strokes I suppose.
Both come across to me as bland as each other, biggish dudes without the presence or power to back up the gimmick.

I see SOMETHING in Bull but it's buried right now. I can't quantify what it is I see, either. I don't think they should give up on him, but he needs time in developmental to develop.

Corbin has a great look and is going places.

Cagey

Banned

Bull is a waste of a great name and entrance.

Browny

Banned
There's no way that Itami doesn't end up with the GTS - just listen to the pop it gets here just for trying to set it up. If it was out of bounds, they would have said day one "don't even put anyone up in a fireman's carry".

I can see it being his Burning Hammer-esq finisher; the commentators can sell just how good it is by saying it has a reputation, and they've scouted him on it.

Ithil

1. The GTS will do. As I said, what he needs are more signature moves.

2. Also mentioned, he's done in this gimmick. He's pretty lame, and Owens does his gimmick better.

3. Great stuff. Two months in and he wins the top title, its very rare but for someone of his talent, welcome. That speed of winning the top title wouldn't work on the main roster, but it does here.

4. Absolutely. Already explained the matching merch to his paint designs, but he himself is marketable without the paint; he's a prettyboy, got a great look and body, and he comes off as cool when he's in the ring.

5. For sure. They've had two matches now and they really seem to click.

6. Well earned. She was such a green, vanilla scrub when she showed up first, her transformation into a star has been great to watch.

7. Same as Sami Zayn, she needs to "get mean", but not too mean. Sami got mean but ultimately refused to cheat or take the shortcut at his big title win, Bayley should be no different. Just more running wild in matches and taking no shit from heels.

Sephzilla

1- They're obviously building up to him busting out the GTS. But his "in the meantime" finisher does need to be better. He'd probably work best using something like the Sweet Chin Music, too bad superkicks are overdone as fuck these days.

2- I thought Bull looked better than Corbin last night, to be honest. Bull is totally salvageable but he needs a few tweeks to his gimmick. Corbin and Owens are both doing the same gimmick.

3- It was fucking awesome.

4- Balor is amazingly marketable. For his Demon Balor look, that could translate to video games and action figures super well. For his normal look he can totally be put in a suit and sent out as a face of the company type guy.

5- Yes I do. They work off of each other really well.

6- Its absolutely the right time to give Sasha the belt. With Charlotte seemingly bound for the main roster it makes Sasha the boss by default, so now she can reign over the division and in the process build up Bayley.

7- Yes

Jamie OD

As long as women are screeching during his appearances Corbin is staying.

Top Bottom