• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Ya know whats not terrible about NXT? The commentary!

I am not saying its great or anything but its not garbage and I like that. More wrestling shows need non sucky commentary.

Average commentary is refreshing.

jmdajr

I thought the pre-show panel could have had more veterans putting over the talent.

But I suppose it was more important showing off the commentary team.

Kaladin

I am not saying its great or anything but its just not bad and I like that. More wrestling shows need non sucky commentary.

They put over the storyline AND call the matches :) What a novel concept! They actually call more than pinfalls in matches too!

Sephzilla

The more Corbin works the more I see Roman Reigns Light in him and the more I'm off of his bandwagon. He's carried entirely by his intro, presence, and a high school bad boy demeanor. He hasn't impressed me in the ring at all. He hasn't done anything remarkable on the microphone. And his actual physical look isn't that great - it feels like his hair thins out more with each appearance, he's got almost no muscle definition, and he's covered in those god awful Hot Topic tattoos. Corbin could go somewhere but he needs a ton of work. I honestly like Bull Dempsey more than Baron Corbin right now. My girlfriend last night said the same thing, she basically said "Corbin's done nothing and he acts kind of boring because nothing about him stands out. Bull at least seems like he's into his character"

His theme music also needs a tweak. Someone in the NXT thread said his theme sounded like a prolonged fart, now I cant unhear it.

Ithil

I am not saying its great or anything but its not garbage and I like that. More wrestling shows need non sucky commentary.

Average commentary is refreshing.

Now that Riley is off commentary it's progressed from "Kill everyone" to "adequate". Graves is pretty good and I like that Rich Brennan not only tries to call the moves, but if he isn't able to he goes and finds out. Example, he didn't know how to call the slingblade by Bálor, then the next show Bálor does it and now he calls it a slingblade.

Sick to death of "WRESTLER'S NAME" being all that they say on RAW. Commentary is supposed to commentate on a match. Why am I hearing some dumb unrelated conversation between some old men played over the RAW broadcast?

Kaladin

The more Corbin works the more I see Roman Reigns Light in him and the more I'm off of his bandwagon. He's carried entirely by his intro, presence, and a high school bad boy demeanor. He hasn't impressed me in the ring at all. He hasn't done anything remarkable on the microphone. And his actual physical look isn't that great - it feels like his hair thins out more with each appearance, he's got almost no muscle definition, and he's covered in those god awful Hot Topic tattoos. Corbin could go somewhere but he needs a ton of work. I honestly like Bull Dempsey more than Baron Corbin right now.

His theme music also needs a tweak. Someone in the NXT thread said his theme sounded like a prolonged fart, now I cant unhear it.

You could compare Corbin to where Roman Reigns was as Leakee I think. He's got part of the package, and it needs some major tweaking and work before he's there.

Aiii

So not worth it
Now that Riley is off commentary it's progressed from "Kill everyone" to "adequate". Graves is pretty good and I like that Rich Brennan not only tries to call the moves, but if he isn't able to he goes and finds out. Example, he didn't know how to call the slingblade by Bálor, then the next show Bálor does it and he calls it a slingblade.

Sick to death of "WRESTLER'S NAME" being all that they say on RAW. Commentary is supposed to commentate on a match. Why am I hearing some dumb unrelated conversation between some old men played over the RAW broadcast?
Because every match is the same there and you run out of things to say about three minute rest hold spots?

Commentary gets bored too, I suppose.

Sephzilla

You could compare Corbin to where Roman Reigns was as Leakee I think. He's got part of the package, and it needs some major tweaking and work before he's there.

I think that's pretty fair. Baron Corbin is a fairly big work in progress. If he keeps going the way he is though I think Full Sail might eventually turn on him.

Now that Riley is off commentary it's progressed from "Kill everyone" to "adequate". Graves is pretty good and I like that Rich Brennan not only tries to call the moves, but if he isn't able to he goes and finds out. Example, he didn't know how to call the slingblade by Bálor, then the next show Bálor does it and now he calls it a slingblade.

Riley being off NXT commentary makes it 100% better.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Last I saw NXT/WWE, Corbin was still using that same finisher. I don't know why they're pushing it so hard when, as soon as he gets to Raw, someone's going to go, 'Hey, that's way too similar to the Sister Abigail' and change it.

His finisher should be something simpler and 'brawler-ish' like a boot to a seated opponent.
th_Test-BigBoot3.gif

Or just a big boot.

Ithil

Corbin is pretty bad in the ring, for sure, but he is in the midcard of the developmental TV show, so I can't really complain much, he's where he should be.
If he was on the main roster with the spotlight, with his skill level, that'd be a big problem.

Kaladin

Because every match is the same there and you run out of things to say about three minute rest hold spots?

Even when something does happen, you're lucky to get a grunt or "WRESTLER'S NAME" or "What a slam!" at the move.

Sephzilla

Last I saw NXT/WWE, Corbin was still using that same finisher. I don't know why they're pushing it so hard when, as soon as he gets to Raw, someone's going to go, 'Hey, that's way too similar to the Sister Abigail' and change it.

His finisher should be something simpler and 'brawler-ish' like a boot to a seated opponent.
th_Test-BigBoot3.gif

Or just a big boot.

Corbin should use the Clothesline From Hell.

Also, I don't think Corbin should use this move but I think it's time someone starts using the Jackhammer again.

Ithil

But they don't even call basic shit. At most they'll call a suplex. A vertical suplex, any other suplex gets called a "throw".
Ambrose throws a lariat and all they say is "AMBROSE". Does he have a lariat called "The Ambrose"? Actually they generally have this weird obsession with saying everyone's name over and over. I don't know if that's supposed to be some kind of branding thing where they're trying to make sure any new viewers (hah!) know the names, but it's annoying as hell.

What is their purpose if they're not commentating? They come off like they don't know anything.

Kaladin

I think Corbin would have benefited with a dark gimmick. Something like The Ascension where he's given a full body attire that covers up his tattoos and maybe shave his head.

That would be a good start at repackaging him.

So do you guys think script wise NXT follows the modern WWE style of every line must be scripted, things are planned on the fly or more like the Chris Kreski style of plan storylines long term, bullet point segments and promos? I lean towards the latter.

Sephzilla

Corbin should wrestle in that vest he usually wears to the ring for his intro. Not necessarily because he's kind of skinny-fat, but he just looks cooler with it than without it. He looked significantly more lame coming out in a t-shirt yesterday.

So do you guys think script wise NXT follows the modern WWE style of every line must be scripted, things are planned on the fly or more like the Chris Kreski style of plan storylines long term, bullet point segments and promos? I lean towards the latter.

Absolutely long-term bullet point. I bet HHH and the talent involved think of a starting point and an ending point. Then they find a few bullet points to connect the two, and let the talent fill in the rest as they go.

Kaladin

It's more of a mix, but leaning to the latter. Triple H said that on the Stone Cold Podcast. He's trying to train guys who can work the bullet point style and not have to rely on scripts. He wants wrestlers who can change things on the fly and react to the ebb and flow of the crowd.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fuck you, young shit.
KzjDY3.gif

Corbin should wrestle in that vest he usually wears to the ring for his intro. Not necessarily because he's kind of skinny-fat, but he just looks cooler with it than without it. He looked significantly more lame coming out in a t-shirt yesterday.

Everyone in WWE comes out in their merch t-shirt now. It's the lamest thing. The fact that they don't have Bray doing it yet is some kidn of miracle.

Ithil

HHH talked about it on the conference call, and on Austin's podcast. He leans towards the bullet point style of promo, and the more long term planning (which is easier to do in NXT because they only have one 1 hour show a week and tape 3-4 episode at a time), unless the person really needs to be scripted fully.

I would wager a lot of the wacky stuff Enzo and Cass say is not scripted for them. You could easily script "They say their catchphrases on the ramp, then in the ring Enzo says something weird" and it works.

I like the Chris Kreski script style way more. When I read that he used to storyboard storylines it seemed like the most natural thing in the world to me and I'm baffled that the WWE used to give him shit for it.

Also you guys give Vince alot of shit when Stephanie is arguably as much to blame for the way things are run these days.

th_Test-BigBoot3.gif

Or just a big boot.

Test had the best big boot. It often looked like he was going to take someone's head off with it.

Kaladin

HHH talked about it on the conference call, and on Austin's podcast. He leans towards the bullet point style of promo, and the more long term planning (which is easier to do in NXT because they only have one 1 hour show a week and tape 3-4 episode at a time), unless the person really needs to be scripted fully.

I would wager a lot of the wacky stuff Enzo and Cass say is not scripted for them. You could easily script "They say their catchphrases on the ramp, then in the ring Enzo says something weird" and it works.

The Enzo and Cass promos are probably done the same way classic DX promos were scripted. It has the same feel and style to them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like the Chris Kreski script style way more. When I read that he used to storyboard storylines it seemed like the most natural thing in the world to me and I'm baffled that the WWE used to give him shit for it.

Also you guys give Vince alot of shit when Stephanie is arguably as much to blame for the way things are run these days.

Eh, I wouldn't know. I don't pretend to understand how the business is run, because I am not involved in it, I wouldn't understand, or I'd be missing some very important things that people overlook.

Kaladin

I'm going to avoid the spoilers from NXT for the next few weeks. I want to finally go into these shows blind. It's the best way to watch my favorite product.

Sephzilla

I'm going to avoid the spoilers from NXT for the next few weeks. I want to finally go into these shows blind. It's the best way to watch my favorite product.

It's going to be super hard for me to avoid NXT spoilers because I legitimately have no idea what they're going to do regarding Owens/Zayn/Balor, and I want to know. I don't think HHH will make the same mistake Vince made with Cena/Lesnar and rush the Zayn/Owens rematch. Zayn needs to stay off TV for at least a month and then come back to Rocky 3 Owens. But at the same time, I don't think they're going to waste Balor's #1 contendership and the tournament as a whole simply to be fodder for Owens inbetween Zayn matches. And I really dont want Demon Balor to be defeated so soon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For all of you who felt that #cancelwwenetwork was a bad thing:

"That's good for the $WWE. It created controversy. It's a vocal minority." - Vince McMahon on #cancelwwenetwork
"It created controversy and that was really good for us." - Vince McMahon on #cancelwwenetwork

somedevil

It's going to be super hard for me to avoid NXT spoilers because I legitimately have no idea what they're going to do regarding Owens/Zayn/Balor, and I want to know. I don't think HHH will make the same mistake Vince made with Cena/Lesnar and rush the Zayn/Owens rematch. Zayn needs to stay off TV for at least a month and then come back to Rocky 3 Owens. But at the same time, I don't think they're going to waste Balor's #1 contendership and the tournament as a whole simply to be fodder for Owens inbetween Zayn matches. And I really dont want Demon Balor to be defeated so soon.

Well for Zayn the question is
will he be at the tapings. He is double booked. He scheduled at the taping and for the tour in the middle east on friday. Can't do both. So he could be missing 4 tapings selling his death.

jred2k

I think Zayn is flying to Abu Dhabi right about now so he'll probably be off TV for this set of tapings.

dakun

it was my first time watching NXT last time and i enjoyed it very much. I certainly missed out on some great matches i think.

My only question is, even though NXT is supposed to be developmental many of the guys and girls wrestling there are pushing 30 or are already over 30 years old.

I expected a bunch of young 18-26 year old wrestlers. How does that fit in with NXT being regarded as a developmental stage where most wrestlers seem to have years of experience somewhere else?

These guys/girls will move up to RAW when they are pushing 30-35 (Finn Balor is 33 and probably the most ready)? I wouldn't consider that "the future" or am i missing something?

Kaladin

It's an odd situation in wrestling where you have 4 or 5 guys who could legit be the top guy for whatever reason...and the direction would be believable.

You know Trips is loving booking this talent he's got down in FL now, the top of the card is so amazing it's ridiculous.

And while it would be unpopular, I could easily see Owens run through Balor to make him look like something special. Balor and especially Demon Balor has been built to be unbeatable the same way as Owens has. If Owens treats him like he did Zayn, it would solidfy Owens as next level.

Cagey

Banned
The "any press is good press" mentality has always been the stupidest fucking thing and is usually spoken by people who are out of touch. See: Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys.

But it's often true. Fans that claim they're quitting, but aren't quitting. They care enough to protest though. The complaints and protests and criticism earned some attention on mainstream sites. It probably got people not paying attention to perk up and see what's going on.

Vince. Wins. Lol.

iMax

Guys, just saw a news story speculating that Undertaker is set to return on the first Raw after Fastlane, which is probably pretty likely, based on the last couple years.

Question is, how would y'all book him against Bray considering where he's at right now?

Top Bottom