• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Sephzilla

But it's often true. Fans that claim they're quitting, but aren't quitting. They care enough to protest though. The complaints and protests and criticism earned some attention on mainstream sites. It probably got people not paying attention to perk up and see what's going on.

Vince. Wins. Lol.

In terms of WWE this is unquestionably true. #CMPunkWasRight

Jamie OD

it was my first time watching NXT last time and i enjoyed it very much. I certainly missed out on some great matches i think.

My only question is, even though NXT is supposed to be developmental many of the guys and girls wrestling there are pushing 30 or are already over 30 years old.

I expected a bunch of young 18-26 year old wrestlers. How does that fit in with NXT being regarded as a developmental stage where most wrestlers seem to have years of experience somewhere else?

These guys/girls will move up to RAW when they are pushing 30-35 (Finn Balor is 33 and probably the most ready)? I wouldn't consider that "the future" or am i missing something?

Pro wrestling is the only athletic profession I know of where being in your mid-thirties makes you a young go-getter.

Kaladin

Guys, just saw a news story speculating that Undertaker is set to return on the first Raw after Fastlane, which is probably pretty likely, based on the last couple years.

Question is, how would y'all book him against Bray considering where he's at right now?

I would do a deal where he's set to announce his retirement but Bray Wyatt leaves him laying and displays some of the same supernatural type powers Taker has used.

imBask

Banned
Guys, just saw a news story speculating that Undertaker is set to return on the first Raw after Fastlane, which is probably pretty likely, based on the last couple years.

Question is, how would y'all book him against Bray considering where he's at right now?

might as well just put Bray over, maybe even go for a Russoesque power transfer thing

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The "any press is good press" mentality has always been the stupidest fucking thing and is usually spoken by people who are out of touch. See: Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys.

What if, now bear with me here, I know this is kind of crazy sounding but

What if

you're wrong

Bray brings back Mideon and Gangrel.

XenoRaven

The "any press is good press" mentality has always been the stupidest fucking thing and is usually spoken by people who are out of touch. See: Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys.
While I don't agree with "any press is good press" it's tough to argue Vince has blinders when we don't have access to post-Rumble Network subscriber numbers.

Sephzilla

What if, now bear with me here, I know this is kind of crazy sounding but

What if

you're wrong

As a one time thing bad press can be good press. The Batista/Daniel Bryan stuff last year was good for business. This year though, it's unquestionably bad because now it's just got outsiders laughing at the product because Vince made the same mistake again.

While I don't agree with "any press is good press" it's tough to argue Vince has blinders when we don't have access to post-Rumble Network subscriber numbers.

Free month + it's Mania season = subscribers were going to go up no matter what.

dakun

i wouldn't. WWE killed Bray for me. He was great as the leader of the Wyatt Family..now they just let him ramble for 5 minute promos which are neither weird enough to reach the 80s level of weird promos, nor interesting enough to make for a good story.

Since they seem hell bend on having Trips vs. Sting in this Mania i'd just give Undertaker another year or so for Wrestlemania 32 against Sting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love watching Ikeda vs Ishikawa. These mother fuckers hate each other so much.
jBfXpEG.gif

It's what I wish Shibata vs Tanahashi ended up being.

Sunny, new Gary Hart promo

Cagey

Banned
In terms of WWE this is unquestionably true. #CMPunkWasRight

WWE is a billion dollar multinational corporation. They know what constitutes "any press is good press" bad press and "you fucked" bad press. The former gets eyeballs on your product out of curiosity and you're not losing eyeballs. The latter turns people away and results in a firestorm of criticism from the outside world, the people not buying your product to begin with.

"Any press is good press"
#CancelWWENetwork
Hijack RAW
Twitter campaigns complaining about WWE
Internet, podcasts, etc. going berserk over who is pushed, isn't pushed, etc.

"You fucked"
Chris Benoit (or any employee doing heinous, horrible shit)
Owen Hart (paralysis or death while working for WWE)
Steroid scandals
Drugs, wellness, etc. problems among talent
CTE-type reports

Cliché stuff but Bray needs to play up that the era of Taker is done, that he's now a broken man with a broken streak and that Bray is the new master of supernatural fluff coming to reap Taker once and for all putting him out of his misery.
But old man Taker ain't going down without a fight, Bray gets the upper hand most weeks, notably on the night of Taker's return (see the Kane/Taker Summerslam 2010 showdown for the gist of Taker getting one upped on his big return).
At WM I'd have Taker win, Bray losing to a guy like Taker shouldn't damage him like the Cena fiasco and the broken streak seems more notable if taker can still win at WM afterwards.
Possibly leads to Taker going off into the sunset with a final win since I don't think we're getting the Kane/Taker double whammy retirement match.

jmdajr

WWE is a billion dollar multinational corporation. They know what constitutes "any press is good press" bad press and "you fucked" bad press. The former gets eyeballs on your product out of curiosity and you're not losing eyeballs. The latter turns people away and results in a firestorm of criticism from the outside world, the people not buying your product to begin with.

#CancelWWENetwork
Hijack RAW

"You fucked"
Steroid scandals
CTE-type reports

Where would you rank Seth Rollins #DickGate?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Good press. Whether people like it or not, everyone wanted to see it, and it opens the door for other peoples' dicks as well, and everyone, cishet and all other orientations, want to know.

Sephzilla

#CancelWWENetwork
Hijack RAW

"You fucked"
Steroid scandals
CTE-type reports

Where does "an entire crowd booing the fuck out of your product at the end of one of your biggest shows" rank?

For all of you who felt that #cancelwwenetwork was a bad thing:

Vince is full of shit. He rushed out that 1 million number the next day in response to the cancel hashtag. Of course he isn't going to say it was a bad thing. This is the man that refuses to sneeze, because he feels it shows weakness.

jmdajr

Diesel?

Does Luger count even if that was in WCW?

Yeah I would say Diesel. But it's not even that big a deal because he didn't stay at the top too long.

If you are a so-called undeserving champ, the wheels don't stay on very long.

edit: Yup Miz too. Vince at least gave him a bone for being a media workhorse.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Where does "an entire crowd booing the fuck out of your product at the end of one of your biggest shows" rank?

You're the one with your head in the sand. Happened all the time at some of the hottest shows in history. If people boo that's fine, as long as they come back. And these fools keep coming back.

Sephzilla

Who in your is the most undeserving champ in WWE history.

And of said champ? How long did they stay at the top?

WrestleMania 9 Hulk Hogan. Not only did he shit all over Bret Hart and Yokozuna, he then left the company not long after.

You're the one with your head in the sand. Happened all the time at some of the hottest shows in history. If people boo that's fine, as long as they come back. And these fools keep coming back.

You're confusing booing the storyline heel with booing the actual product.

Also I think you're gimmick posting.

MisterR

Vince is dead on right and the old saying about any pub being good pub is also mostly true. It's been shown many times, people will watch/listen to something that they hate or that outrages them even moreso than something they mildly enjoy. Anything that gets a strong reaction means more attention and more interest.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're confusing booing the storyline heel with booing the actual product.

Also I think you're gimmick posting.

"What an unhappy group of people!"
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...-inoki-new-japan-12-27-1987-vader-debut_sport

By your rationale on how people sounded, they all quit that very day.

Vince is dead on right and the old saying about any pub being good pub is also mostly true. It's been shown many times, people will watch/listen to something that they hate or that outrages them even moreso than something they mildly enjoy. Anything that gets a strong reaction means more attention and more interest.

For sure. Look at a show like Empire - universally hailed as complete dogshit, it's so outrageous, people continue to watch. It's not because it's an excellent, riveting story - it's because people want to see what happens next, no matter what. Howard Stern in the 90s was the same way. They found people that HATED Howard Stern listened longer than people who liked him.

Cagey

Banned

Good press. Whether people like it or not, everyone wanted to see it, and it opens the door for other peoples' dicks as well, and everyone, cishet and all other orientations, want to know.

Yep. Good press.

It got my wife's attention from ONTD and she was googling Seth Rollins. Now she knows who Seth Rollins is, she's no less likely to watch than in the past, and now she hates him and thinks he's a sleazy cheating fuck. If anything, she'd be interested in watching him get beat up.

Even a sex tape of cheating on his fiance would be "any press is good press".

Shove his fiance and she files a police report? He's fucked.

Good press. That's what was covered post-Rumble. It's not hurting them: the boobirds haven't gone anywhere, they'll be back to watch and boo/complain/cheer/etc. every week.

You know what's actual bad press? "Subscriber numbers dropped 10% for WWE network last quarter as fans are expressing displeasure at the product." Not booing a live show.

Sephzilla

"What an unhappy group of people!"
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...-inoki-new-japan-12-27-1987-vader-debut_sport

By your rationale on how people sounded, they all quit that very day.

Again, you're confusing booing by storyline vs booing the entire product.

Also, the bad press = good press mentality is only good for a temporary shot in the arm. It gets eyes on the product but that usually fades out pretty quickly because those outsiders who came in tend to leave for the reasons that got them into watching in the first place. You know who else thought all bad press was still good press? Vince Russo when he justified giving David Arquette the World Title.

03.jpg

You all are supporting Vince Russo thinking. You should be ashamed.

jmdajr

url_zpsmjrt8vyk.gif

Yeah. I don't know how Seth will take this going forward.

But I hope it's in the vein of. "Fuck you all, you're just jealous of my massive dong!"

It will be great.

Cagey

Banned
This isn't to say WWE should be happy that a sizable chunk of their viewing audience disapproves of their proposed Wrestlemania plans.

But it's vastly overstated as a problem, and it's getting them more attention, to boot.

Seth Rollins #dickgate was good lead in to John Cena having sex and cumming in a movie trailer.

#realityera

0300_ymsh.gif

If the WHC counts in this undeserving ranking then Swagger was thrown onto that title waaaay before he should've been.
No build up, no notable connection with the audience, no direction, it was a mess that did nothing for his career and left him in an odd spot afterwards.
And I'm someone who doesn't mind the guy, by comparison to another MitB gained reign say what you will about Miz, I still think he did well in his champ role and his journey to the title was handled quite well.

Rey's WHC run was grating, not because I don't think he earned it (I think a short title run was deserved), more that the entire booking surrounding it was complete cack.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't to say WWE should be happy that a sizable chunk of their viewing audience disapproves of their proposed Wrestlemania plans.

But it's vastly overstated as a problem, and it's getting them more attention, to boot.

For sure. It's not "ha! These people...let's do it again next month! It'll pay off again!" It simply doesn't damage their product in any significant fashion, and the silver lining is that people talked about it. It's that simple.

Sephzilla

Actually, I just reminded myself of a better answer for the "most undeserving champ" question. This is without question the #1 answer.

02.jpg

So undeserving it killed a company.

Another case of people who pretended that any press was good press.

jmdajr

So in the end wouldn't you say undeserved champs eventually end up back where they belong?

Sure it sucks because they took up a spot or storyline, but you can only fool folks so long.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Vince has a history of fucking over fan favorites, of pushing 'the wrong guy', of his guy getting booed. And he has that while still being number 1. Everyone booed Hogan eliminating Sid. Guess which wrestling company was still number 1? Everyone booed John Cena beating Kurt. Guess which wrestling company was still number 1? Some people say it's lack of competition for Vince that makes him not come up with anything creative. I think that's giving Vince and Creative a little too much credit. But the reality of it is, why should he? Why should he try when suckers keep watching? Ratings go up and down, but ratings ALWAYS go up and down. There's never going to be another Attitude Era spike so until Vince starts doing under a million, there's no worries about if WWE will still be here. It always will be.

Because people will still watch. They'll tweet memes, they'll tweet hashtags, they'll do whatever it is. But they will still watch. Why? Look at this very forum. There will be that ONE Raw, that ONE superstar you like and that will somehow make you justify the weeks and weeks of garbage before and after. If you don't like indie wrestling, if you don't like lucha libre, if you don't like puroresu, and if you don't like the modern WWE product, I don't know why you follow to be honest. For the 'chance' of something great to happen? I don't watch WWE but I read this thread enough to know that it will be pretty god damn obvious if something great happens.

I just don't see the point in watching WWE when the product is constantly antagonistic to you and when you know your opinion doesn't matter. It never will at the end of the day when it comes to the WWE. It's not 'fun to pick apart' because it's bland. Old CZW is fun to pick apart because it's so awful in such varying ways. Usually WWE's awfulness is just 'oh they did the predictable thing. oh this feud doesn't mean anything. oh.' that's not a fun thing to rip on. Kinda like Stro said, like Bootaaay has said and othersi n here have said in the past, I don't really get the point of watching something if you hate it and it proves that you hate it time and time again. And that's not to say that people should stop watching WWE if they enjoy it. I'm happy people enjoy it. I really do try my best not to shit on it if they like it. I only do that for stuff like The Young Bucks. but really, I've been trying to be better about it.

but yeah, I don't get it.

Fox318

#CancelWWENetwork
Hijack RAW

"You fucked"
Steroid scandals
CTE-type reports
I think the WWE race problem and their hatred of latinos is in the you fucked area but the bottom line is nobody cares about wrestling anymore.

How long until Raw starts hitting 2.3? This year?

Cagey

Banned
Actually, I just reminded myself of a better answer for the "most undeserving champ" question. This is without question the #1 answer.

02.jpg

So undeserving it killed a company.

Another case of people who pretended that any press was good press.

See, here's the difference between Vince Russo / David Arquette and current WWE.

People that hated that shit stopped watching WCW.

People that hated the Rumble are still watching WWE, still getting their hashtag activist on, still paying for the Network, still consuming NXT while telling themselves its different, etc.

I think the WWE race problem and their hatred of latinos is in the you fucked area but the bottom line is nobody cares about wrestling anymore.

How long until Raw starts hitting 2.3? This year?

WWE doesn't get enough bad publicity about its race problem. That article was bad for them. That's all that happened, though.

Sephzilla

People that hated that shit stopped watching WCW and watched the other show that was on TV at the same time

Fixed that for you for a bit more accuracy.

A huge part of the reason Vince gets away with this stuff is entirely because there's no direct competition to him anymore so there's nowhere for audiences to head over to as an alternative. If something like this happened during the late 90s WWE would have been fucked.

Top Bottom