• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

I watch RAW in the build up to something exciting. Sometimes I'll just have it on in the background. Sometimes I won't even watch. It all depends on whether they're doing stuff I want to see, basically. I didn't watch this week, but I watched last week (mainly so I'd be ready for the Triple H interview which was excellent).

If you don't stress too much about whether or not a wrestler you like is being treated like 'the guy' or not, it's way more enjoyable I find.

Tyson Kidd and Cesaro may not be at the top of the card, but I still get to see them wrestle, and whether they get the pin or not, bell to bell that's good TV. I'm not remotely bored of Rusev and Lana. Dean Ambrose still makes me laugh wherever he is on the card.

You know? I was asking in the NXT Rival thread over in OT if anyone still doubted Kevin Owens at this point, and the response I got was 'Yeah, well Vince will never push him as the top guy' and it's like... so?

It reminded me of that conversation in here about how Dean Ambrose wasn't going to be a main eventer, when he was main eventing pay per views.

Eh, I guess some people don't like the mid card, or only care about the title or who goes on last. That's not me though. And there's a lot to like in an average episode of RAW when you aren't worrying about who is (Kane) or isn't (Cesaro) in the main event.

I think that while the "Cena got booed and people still watch" and "Hogan got booed and people still watched", you can't ignore the fact that when they pushed a guy who was loved by everyone, they had their hottest run ever. So yes, while business won't end if you push a guy some people hate, business could boom if you push a guy everyone likes.

But they don't even call basic shit. At most they'll call a suplex. A vertical suplex, any other suplex gets called a "throw".
Ambrose throws a lariat and all they say is "AMBROSE". Does he have a lariat called "The Ambrose"? Actually they generally have this weird obsession with saying everyone's name over and over. I don't know if that's supposed to be some kind of branding thing where they're trying to make sure any new viewers (hah!) know the names, but it's annoying as hell.

What is their purpose if they're not commentating? They come off like they don't know anything.

If I remember correctly, Vince/Dunn want commentary to be "conversational". If you call too many moves, then you are not "relating with the fans" and some people might get confused. In other words, we ain't wrasslin' dammit.

Fox318

Fave Five Most Undeserving Champs
1- David Arquette as WCW Champ
This move pretty much killed WCW, or at least put them into a vegetable coma state that they couldn't be saved from.

2- Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania 9
Not only did he completely shit on the main event, but he also pretty much ruined Bret Hart's status for nearly a year, took the sails out of Yokozuna a bit, and then fucking left the company not long after.

3- Rey Mysterio
I don't hate Rey or anything like that but he got the title as a glorified gift to Eddie

4- The Rock (2013)
Comes back after 7 years off, has one match that he wins, and then gets the belt almost a year after that to act as a glorified transitional champ in order to make Cena look stronger.

5- Sgt Slaughter
Pretty much entirely because I remember absolutely nothing about this run.

Cena could be on this list for his entire career.

Roman will be fine folks. At this point only Daniel Bryan and his fellow Atheists support him stealing another Wrestlemania main event, which is unsurprising as heists are literally a big part of their religion

Gonzalez

Banned
Well Zayn just posted on twitter that
he is off to the middle east. So he won't be at the taping tonight. So he is going to be gone 3 or 4 weeks.
I'm always afraid one day Sami will join a radical Muslim group out of the blue, or maybe he's already a sleeper cell, and we just don't know it yet.

jmdajr

Eh, I guess some people don't like the mid card, or only care about the title or who goes on last. That's not me though. And there's a lot to like in an average episode of RAW when you aren't worrying about who is (Kane) or isn't (Cesaro) in the main event.

I think these days we think too far ahead. Back then I just enjoyed the event for what it was.

Now we are thinking about how Balor won't get his Wrestlemania 34 moment.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Those of you thinking Slaughter didn't deserve the title are CRAZY. He was getting "I'm going to fucking kill you" heat. It was awesome.

Ithil

I think that while the "Cena got booed and people still watch" and "Hogan got booed and people still watched", you can't ignore the fact that when they pushed a guy who was loved by everyone, they had their hottest run ever. So yes, while business won't end if you push a guy some people hate, business could boom if you push a guy everyone likes.

If I remember correctly, Vince/Dunn want commentary to be "conversational". If you call too many moves, then you are not "relating with the fans" and some people might get confused. In other words, we ain't wrasslin' dammit.
The only thing they're relating to is a mute button.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

But do you think WWE has had anyone since Austin that was as beloved as Austin was? Austin appealed to lots of people because he wasn't trying to appeal to anyone. He was an extremely easy character to get into and the time period he came into, in pop culture, couldn't have been more perfect. I can't think of anyone before or after Austin who was as universally liked by just about everyone. I mean, when you're able to make The Rock 'number 2', what does that say about how much people like you?

I hope Balor fails on the main roster just to spite everyone here that chooses to praise this guy by sh*tting on Roman Reigns.

It's amazing how a select number of posters here have an innate ability to make me despise a performer, who I otherwise know nothing about, just by association.

Learn to post better, a**holes.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
how would people feel if once a month or once every 2 months they had a special, raw is naturally 3 hours which is to long as you can see. What if nxt took up the first hour all in hhh's control, then start raw off for 2 hours after that. Might give the nxt stars some exposure to a grander audience as well so they wont have to advertise and much when a wrestler gets a call up.

Ithil

But do you think WWE has had anyone since Austin that was as beloved as Austin was? Austin appealed to lots of people because he wasn't trying to appeal to anyone. He was an extremely easy character to get into and the time period he came into, in pop culture, couldn't have been more perfect. I can't think of anyone before or after Austin who was as universally liked by just about everyone. I mean, when you're able to make The Rock 'number 2', what does that say about how much people like you?

Your answer is "Yes".

Not as far as "boom period" but as far as "liked by everyone, easy character to get into".

XenoRaven

Part of me really would like to see a day come where HHH takes over, Vince's influence is completely gone, the show becomes absolutely amazing and then ratings tank hard to TNA levels. Then we will know directionless RAWs, variety show BS, and dancing gimmicks are what the people really want.

Are you going to tell me that Bryan wasn't "universally liked" at this time last year? And even if no one is as over as Austin was, that's not really my point. My point is that there are guys that a vast majority of the crowd likes who never get a real push. And there are guys who are getting pushes who the crowd is split on. If you tried pushing guys who the crowd was more unanimous on, it would probably lead to better business. They don't need to be at Austin's level.

jmdajr

I hope Balor fails on the main roster just to spite everyone here that chooses to praise this guy by sh*tting on Roman Reigns.

It's amazing how a select number of posters here have an innate ability to make me despise a performer, who I otherwise know nothing about, just by association.

tumblr_nisr8ydtpn1tqjisao2_400.gif

edit: You know I like this D. Bry and Reigns fued. It is basically a

url_zpsuxyegykv.gif

Ithil

how would people feel if once a month or once every 2 months they had a special, raw is naturally 3 hours which is to long as you can see. What if nxt took up the first hour all in hhh's control, then start raw off for 2 hours after that. Might give the nxt stars some exposure to a grander audience as well so they wont have to advertise and much when a wrestler gets a call up.

I think if NXT guys are appearing on RAW semi-regularly, then they're basically RAW guys. Their touring idea is better as far as increasing exposure for NXT while keeping it separate from RAW.

Fave Five Most Undeserving Champs
1- David Arquette as WCW Champ
This move pretty much killed WCW, or at least put them into a vegetable coma state that they couldn't be saved from.

2- Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania 9
Not only did he completely shit on the main event, but he also pretty much ruined Bret Hart's status for nearly a year, took the sails out of Yokozuna a bit, and then fucking left the company not long after.

3- Rey Mysterio
I don't hate Rey or anything like that but he got the title as a glorified gift to Eddie

4- The Rock (2013)
Comes back after 7 years off, has one match that he wins, and then gets the belt almost a year after that to act as a glorified transitional champ in order to make Cena look stronger.

5- Sgt Slaughter
Pretty much entirely because I remember absolutely nothing about this run.
Slaughter played his role well. Mustafa and Adnan were good henchmen.

MC Safety

Those of you thinking Slaughter didn't deserve the title are CRAZY. He was getting "I'm going to fucking kill you" heat. It was awesome.

Not only was he an Iraqi sympathizer, but he was doing stuff like making "fans" push Hulk Hogan vitamins down a hallway with their noses.

(I wish I could find that clip, by the way.)

It always helps to have a bad guy champion who is also anti-American.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Part of me really would like to see a day come where HHH takes over, Vince's influence is completely gone, the show becomes absolutely amazing and then ratings tank hard to TNA levels. Then we will know directionless RAWs, variety show BS, and dancing gimmicks is what the people really want.

You don't need HHH take over to see that. Compare struggling WCW early 90s(the best 'wrestling' promotion of all time, imo) to Attitude Era Raws.

Let's not act like Attitude Era had a direction.

I don't know which side that is supposed to reflect more poorly on.

Sanjuro

Hogan at WM9 was fine, the entire PPV was just one of the many lesser events. People tend to forget Bret at WM10 and WM13 were pretty much his only meaningful appearances at the PPV.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hogan at WM9 was fine, the entire PPV was just one of the many lesser events. People tend to forget Bret at WM10 and WM13 were pretty much his only meaningful appearances at the PPV.

A lot of people get mad at WM9 because of Bret. I only recently discovered this because I grew up thinking that Yoko was the one who got fucked over, not Bret. Bret's not good enough to beat Yoko. End of the story there. But Yoko has to defend his title against a mostly fresh Hogan? And Hogan gets to win the title?

Babyface Yoko having to defend his title twice in a row.

Kaiterra

Banned

I'd generally feel this way but it's hard to when the main event is almost the only thing that gets any creative focus or promo time outside of WWE App videos that you shouldn't have to hunt down and find. Hell I took a break in the middle of Raw this past week to watch two hours of other shows, came back for the overrun and basically didn't miss anything important.

That's a pretty good format, I'm gonna stick with it. They did get me to stop watching entirely for 8-9 years out of distaste for Triple H as he was gearing up to dominate that decade but also for one reason that is not going to be duplicated, and that's how the most juvenile and tasteless parts of the Attitude Era kept getting ramped up further and further going into the early 2000s. Shit got super embarrassing to watch. So I'm on the hook for now with TV, even if I did #CancelWWENetwork.

Sanjuro

A lot of people get mad at WM9 because of Bret. I only recently discovered this because I grew up thinking that Yoko was the one who got fucked over, not Bret. Bret's not good enough to beat Yoko. End of the story there. But Yoko has to defend his title against a mostly fresh Hogan? And Hogan gets to win the title?

Babyface Yoko having to defend his title twice in a row.

I think many people are forgetting the events. Yokozuna was fucking OVER because of WM9. Hogan got a cheap win, and then they made Yokozuna to be the biggest thing ever as he crushed and ended Hogan's WWF career like a month later. Death of Superman type stuff.

It worked out well.

Kaiterra

Banned
Obama ripping off Tyler Breeze's gimmick

I think many people are forgetting the events. Yokozuna was fucking OVER because of WM9. Hogan got a cheap win, and then they made Yokozuna to be the biggest thing ever as he crushed and ended Hogan's WWF career like a month later. Death of Superman type stuff.

It worked out well.

Barely knew what the hell WCW was as a kid and didn't watch PPVs so I legit thought Yoko DID kill Hogan, haha.

Sanjuro

Obama ripping off Tyler Breeze's gimmick

Barely knew what the hell WCW was as a kid and didn't watch PPVs so I legit thought Yoko DID kill Hogan, haha.

Pretty much. I used the Death of Superman comparison because that year we got Cyborg Hulk Hogan in Lex Luger. He failed, battled Brett to get back to the title bout. Brett has epic match with Owen and then beats Yokozuna in the same night.

Sephzilla

WM9 was bullshit because Bret had Yoko beat and Yoko had to cheat to win. Hogan basically picked off an already beaten Yoko and ran off with the belt.

Alucard

Banned
Because reasons for the ROH 13th Anniversary Show.
moosebriscoefull.jpg

While not that appealing on paper, I think Mark Briscoe is super underrated as a singles competitor and that he always goes hard. Expecting a Cactus Jack elbow off the apron, some red neck kung-fu, and a hard bump or two. This should be pretty good despite the paper thin reason these two are fighting. (Moose interrupted a tag match with The Briscoes and randomly attacked Mark)

The card so far:

Matches signed
*Main Event - High Stakes 4 Corner Survival ROH World Championship Match*
Jay Briscoe (c) vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. "Sicilian Psychopath" Tommaso Ciampa vs. "War Beard" Hanson

ROH World Television Championship
Jay Lethal (c) w/ Truth Martini vs. Alberto El Patrón

ROH World Tag Team Championship
reDRagon (c) vs. The Young Bucks

"The Phenomenal" AJ Styles vs. ACH

ODB w/ Mark Briscoe vs. Maria Kanellis w/ Michael Bennett

Grudge Match
"Mr ROH" Roderick Strong vs. The Decade's BJ Whitmer

If figured any Bull intrigue here was some sort of inside joke, I could say the same for CAWbin but hey different strokes I suppose.
Both come across to me as bland as each other, biggish dudes without the presence or power to back up the gimmick.

Yeah, I've only seen Corbin two or three times now, but I've not really 'got it'. There was a few times during NXT last night where I felt like 'sure this is working in NXT', but these guys aren't going to look nearly as menacing on the main roster. I got the same feeling for Kevin Owen.
I really enjoyed his match, but compared to the Main Roster he looks like a bin man.

Ya know whats not terrible about NXT? The commentary!

I am not saying its great or anything but its not garbage and I like that. More wrestling shows need non sucky commentary.

Average commentary is refreshing.

I didn't mind the commentary, strangely there were a few times where I thought one of them sounded like Jesse Ventura!

It's developmental bros.

Ja, but it was fun and short for the most part.

Sephzilla

Here's one thing about NXT that I didn't really think of. We've never really seen how HHH/NXT long term books a talent who's now a former champion. Most of the time when a champion loses its because they're off to Raw, so they never show up on NXT again or only get one or two more matches before saying farewell. I'd really like to see an NXT champ stick around for like 6 months after losing a title just to see how Hunter books them.

DMczaf

Bret got fucked a lot by circumstances and Hogan.

From Meltzer, Bret was supposed to make Ultimate Warrior and Jake Roberts submit to the Sharpshooter (those are Meltzer's words, they wanted to get the Sharpshooter over huge) at Survivor Series 92 and Royal Rumble 93 respectively to give him some heat heading into 1993, however they were both fired due to drug tests. Then Bret would drop the title at WM9, leading to his win over Hogan at Summerslam 1993. Hogan decides to go into business for himself.

#LifeScrewedBret

Fox318

new metsfan post

Triple H's New Clique
It should come as no surprise, after last night's offering of a live NXT event, that Triple H has cultivated a new Clique.
This time, it involves his hand picked group to lead WWE in the future: Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Finn Balor, and Hideo Itami.
These are the four guys that Triple H looks out for. Hell, they are exception to the rules there.
NXT is actually a lot harder on the boys than it is being on the road for the main roster. They have long training sessions, going late into the evening, and have crazy house show loops that take them all over Florida. At least, on the main roster, you get a few days off.
Matt Sydal got heat, and subsequently got fired, because he refused to go back to NXT. Not as a disrespect to them, but it's tough being there.
The entire roster is subjected to daily drills. That is, except for Triple H's clique. It's been known at the Performance Center that Balor will through a bit of a hissy fit about doing them then just back away and Owens will nonchalantly not do them. If Bill DeMott gets on their cases about it, which he doesn't do often, they say they don't have to. Or, they call up Triple H and he tells the trainers to lay off. Zayn's been there long enough where he wouldn't get his balls busted about it, and Itami will do them every so often, but he's a quiet one and knows he's still trying to acclimate to his new digs.
Even when it comes to performing certain moves at house shows, if any of them are placed early in the card and want to hit big highspot moves, the producers will tell them no, and they will clear it with Triple H, who will give them the OK to go ahead and just do it

Top Bottom