• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

I'm gonna say Punk, Edge, and Del Rio all did way fucking better than Sheamus.

Sheamus still has potential though. Just needs to be freshened up.

The whole thing about the "top guy" push is that it has nothing to do with "how they did". It's about the opportunities they were given and the way they were presented.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When sensei doesn't appreciate you.
tumblr_njobteWDnF1t34v14o1_400.gif

tumblr_njobteWDnF1t34v14o2_400.gif

Kaladin

Sheamus is fine as he is and I feel like his push actually worked.

Why you ask?

It didn't solidify him as a full time main eventer, but I don't think that is what they wanted. They got a solid upper mid card worker who can give the likes of Daniel Bryan a good match and gets a decent pop every time he goes out. Sheamus is fine as he is, but he needs to be put in good programs more often.

XenoRaven

Totally random thought that is completely unrelated to wrestling.

I wish someone would make a yo-yo that looks like Samus's Morph Ball with the Spider Ball upgrade from Metroid Prime. It looks like a great yo-yo design to me.

180px-Spider_Ball_mp1_Artwork.png

Why you ask?

It didn't solidify him as a full time main eventer, but I don't think that is what they wanted. They got a solid upper mid card worker who can give the likes of Daniel Bryan a good match and gets a decent pop every time he goes out. Sheamus is fine as he is, but he needs to be put in good programs more often.

They wanted Sheamus to be the next big thing. Make no bones about it, they wanted to make him a superstar on the level of Cena, but it just didn't take.

jmdajr

The whole thing about the "top guy" push is that it has nothing to do with "how they did". It's about the opportunities they were given and the way they were presented.

Well they were all given opportunities. Some just had to fight way harder for them.

So without a doubt Cena is the most successful. They gave him one, he ran with it, didn't fuck it up, and they never took it away.

DMczaf

Corbin's finisher is so weird with big guys, looks like the move should hurt him more when Bull's fat ass is landing full force on him

Sephzilla

Well they were all given opportunities. Some just had to fight way harder for them.

So without a doubt Cena is the most successful. They gave him one, he ran with it, didn't fuck it up, and they never took it away.

I honestly wish Cena was hurt or off filming a movie during most/all of Punk's title reign. If the company would have been forced to go all in on Punk I think he would have ran with it further than Cena did.

Unfortunately Cena being healthy ended up derailing some of Punk's run.

jmdajr

I honestly wish Cena was hurt or off filming a movie during most/all of Punk's title reign. If the company would have been forced to go all in on Punk I think he would have ran with it further than Cena did.

Fucking Cena and his senzu beans.

Pretty sure Punk would have found a way to sabotage himself, as he is wont to do.

Why you ask?

I can never tell if I'm 'thinking about it too much' or if it's considered my smarky, but I've never understood Sheamus' character. He's the worst of all the 'Faces who are Heels' with the way he acts and the things he says. I'd really like to see him just go full on Bully mode, but then that's just like us all saying 'Cena Heel turn, please'.

XenoRaven

In 8th grade yo-yos made a comeback at my school. All my friends and I bought sweet yo-yos and learned tricks. My best trick was the Eiffel Tower.

After the video they played 300 times on RAW, I'm guessing he's gonna come back more Ginger and Irish than ever. He'll probably have a forest of ginger pubes sprouting out of his pants and a Mr. T Haircut.

Talking of Mr. T, Roddy Piper sure gets away with a lot of racist cheap shots during his feud with Mr. T.
I hope HHH is lurking gaf today.

Totally random thought that is completely unrelated to wrestling.

I wish someone would make a yo-yo that looks like Samus's Morph Ball with the Spider Ball upgrade from Metroid Prime. It looks like a great yo-yo design to me.

180px-Spider_Ball_mp1_Artwork.png
Looks like the ubisoft logo.

That is patently false. They weren't "all given opportunities". They gave Orton the title and he held it for a long time. Even though PPV buys were declining and ratings were shaky, they did not waver from Orton and they booked him strong throughout. They gave a guy like Edge the belt for a month and then took it from him. They gave Bryan the belt then booked him like shit to create a self-fulfilling prophecy. The "opportunity" is given to some guys, while others create their own until it is taken away.

jmdajr

edit: So if given an opportunity don't do the following and maybe you have a shot at a proper run.

In no order

1) Get injured (Edge, D. Bry)
2) Fail Wellness Policy (Orton)
3) Get Arrested (RVD)
4) Die (Eddie)
5) Become disgruntled (CM Punk, Alberto)
6) "Sellout." (Rock, Baista)
7) Just plain suck (Miz)
*8) get "Hoganed" (Damien Sandow, HHH**)

So if given an opportunity don't do the following and maybe you have a shot.

In no order

1) Get injured (Edge, D. Bry)
2) Fail Wellness Policy (Orton)
3) Get Arrested (RVD)
4) Die (Eddie)
5) Become disgruntled (CM Punk, Alberto)
6) "Sellout." (Rock, Baista)
7) Just plain suck (Jack Swagger though doesn't really count)

Orton did 1,2,3,5, and arguably 7. Batista did 6. Rey did none. Benoit did none. Ziggler has done none. And Edge's major injury was nowhere near the time he was in a position to get a top push.

But yeah, let's punish guys for getting hurt. Especially when we work them to hell and expect them to be superhuman.

Sephzilla

If anything I think "selling out" gets you a fast track to the title. See: Rock, Batista, Brock.

Orton did 1,2,3,5, and arguably 7. Batista did 6. Rey did none. Benoit did none. Ziggler has done none. And Edge's major injury was nowhere near the time he was in a position to get a top push.

But yeah, let's punish guys for getting hurt. Especially when we work them to hell and expect them to be superhuman.

Ahem, #4

jmdajr

Benoit is dead and Rey is on his bazzilion knee replacement.

Dolph never got near WWE title and when he did get the midcard belt he got concussed.

Also if anything Benoit and Rey are guilty of 7. Devoid of charisma.

Kaladin

I wish WWE wouldn't rely on third generation stars or family members of legends so much.

It cripples the product when they don't live up to expectations or when they take their time to realize their potential because they were fast tracked due to having a famous relative.

Fox318

Dolph never got near WWE title and when he did get the midcard belt he got concussed.

Barrett got fucked by Big Show injuring him.

Sandow got fucked by Cena pulling a hogan.

Toki767

I should correct myself. Once given an opportunity you can't have shit happen if you want a proper long run.

No doubt Orton has been given tons of chances.

Benoit had a 6 month run at the top. That was basically his gold watch for being in the business for so long. Even if he hadn't died he would have been ECW champion, which was a mid card belt at that point.

Fox318

Benoit had a 6 month run at the top. That was basically his gold watch for being in the business for so long. Even if he hadn't died he would have been ECW champion, which was a mid card belt at that point.

He also held the US title for a long time right?

I wish WWE wouldn't rely on third generation stars or family members of legends so much.

It cripples the product when they don't live up to expectations or when they take their time to realize their potential because they were fast tracked due to having a famous relative.
I think even worse than nepotism is referring to the product as "the product".

Again, Benoit's death and Rey's chronic knee issues were not at all issues when they were in line for a top push. If you want to point at shit, you can do that with every guy ever. Hell, Cena has been hurt multiple times, does that mean he fits #1? Then why didn't his push get yanked? Same with Triple H. Same with Orton. You can go on with this BS reasoning all day. The bottom line is that some guys get opportunities, and some guys don't. The guys that don't very, very rarely can, and even when they do it is half-hearted.

Top Bottom