• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Kaladin

So Fastlane only has 4 matches announced at this point, what is missing?

*Brock Lesnar vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Roman Reigns: Winner to challenge Triple H for WWE World Heavyweight championship at Wrestlemania 32.

*WWE United States champion Kalisto vs. Alberto Del Rio.

*WWE Divas champion Charlotte vs. Brie Bella.

*Becky Lynch & Sasha Banks vs. Naomi & Tamina.

Fox318

But I'll rather watch a Cena match than a Roman match. And I like Roman.

The only people on the planet who would prefer to watch a Roman match over a cena match are members of the Anoaʻi family ( like last year when they got pissy that a not over Roman and an injured Uso team didn't win).

Cena could use the time off to heal up.

Mahonay

Banned
Have her retire the Divas title
Best scenario.
Here are the total times for Divas matches in the past five Manias:

WM31: 6:42
WM:30: 6:48
WM 29: 0:00
WM 28: 6:49
WM 27: 3:17 (Mixed tag match with Snooki)

I don't think you have to worry.
We both know they'll get more time this year, as they should. It'll be Charlotte for sure, against either Sasha or Becky, or both. Well I know that's what it WAS looking like. I pray to Daniel Bryan that they won't shoehorn Brie into that now.
So Fastlane only has 4 matches announced at this point, what is missing?
They always wait until just before the PPV to announce all the other matches.

We both know they'll get more time this year, as they should. It'll be Charlotte for sure, against either Sasha or Becky, or both. Well I know that's what it WAS looking like. I pray to Daniel Bryan that they won't shoehorn Brie into that now.

I wouldn't put it past them to stick to about the same time.

Mahonay

Banned
I wouldn't put it past them to stick to about the same time.
Considering WWE's initiative this entire past year to make sure that their women get more match time, I'd be highly surprised if they choose Mania to throw that out the window. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. It's also a Mania where they are looking to be light on star power (compared to what they were hoping for initially).

Fox318

If it wasn't for Vince, Dunn, and Hayes I'd say give the Women the 2nd to last match on the card and give them 20-30 minutes.

I'm sure HHH won't get outshined in the main event... oh wait

AkNdJCJ.jpg

lHGDS7o.jpg

4pu7QKc.jpg

SpwfUn2.jpg

Considering WWE's initiative this entire past year to make sure that their women get more match time, I'd be highly surprised if they choose Mania to throw that out the window. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. It's also a Mania where they are looking to be light on star power (compared to what they were hoping for initially).

Something they specialize in.

Gurrry

Just read about Brie, sounds like she wont be winning the title after all, unless she loses it at WM for her final match. She is gonna be super over in her next match, so we will see what they do.

Have her retire the Divas title

Great idea. It would be a perfect way to get rid of "diva" and make it a woman's title like it always should be. However, I have a feeling that the divas name will stick around until Total Divas is done. That E! money is too great for Vince to make any brand changes.

Also - those cryptic tweets by cena make it sound like hes gonna risk it and try and wrestle at WM.

Mahonay

Banned
If it wasn't for Vince, Dunn, and Hayes I'd say give the Women the 2nd to last match on the card and give them 20-30 minutes.

Lol. But...The Game is over, and he's the best at wrestling.

And yeah. Haitch is literally one of the only things pushing that women's division at the moment. Even his own wife would be much happier if it was some shit ass 3 minute Divas match with horrible ring work, because she loves to take credit for that wonderful Divas brand that everyone loves so much.

I mean we were already seeing the pushback from others when he first brought up the NXT women and they attempted to just slot them into the same fucking Divas garbage.

If it was anyone else in charge of their push, this Mania would be looking dire for the new women.
Something they specialize in.
At Mania WWE tends to be better in their decision making, especially these past two years (other than Bray Wyatt's booking).

Then Mania ends and everything sucks again.

I gotta be honest after reading so much hype and praise for the Diva's division I've been mostly underwhelmed by it. It's come a long long way and is certainly better, but it still feels very sloppy to me. Things will be moving fast then just halt as they line up for whatever move they're going to pull.

Sasha and Charolette are doing a lot in terms of mic and I'm happy to see storylines are more than just "PUPPIES" and gown matches.

Ithil

If you wanted to really revamp the women's title, you make it the Women's World title and give it a proper fancy gold belt. That would ruffle some feathers.

Fox318

If you wanted to really revamp the women's title, you make it the Women's World title. That would ruffle some feathers.

Only way that happens is if WWE stops using the stupid fake carny language like Divas, Superstars, and Sports Entertainment.

Which probably wont change until Vince is dead.

Mahonay

Banned
I gotta be honest after reading so much hype and praise for the Diva's division I've been mostly underwhelmed by it. It's come a long long way and is certainly better, but it still feels very sloppy to me. Things will be moving fast then just halt as they line up for whatever move they're going to pull.

Sasha and Charolette are doing a lot in terms of mic and I'm happy to see storylines are more than just "PUPPIES" and gown matches.
LOL nah man, it's still been super bad almost all year until just recently.

I'm just happy to see it heading in a better direction. Others in the front office at WWE has been kicking and screaming having to stray from their beloved Divas franchise. Progress has been slow but it's progress at least.

AkNdJCJ.jpg

lHGDS7o.jpg

4pu7QKc.jpg

SpwfUn2.jpg

Are you telling me that HHH vs Orton and HHH vs Jericho were outshone?! They're further testament to HHH being THE GREATEST EVER, BECAUSE EVERYBODY IN THE WWE SAYS SO.

miserable

i don't get the hate for Brie. you're telling me that in a world where Kelly "how do i run ropes" Kelly was a Divas champion, giving the belt to Brie for her last match is the worst thing?

HBK Angle match was soooooooooooooooooooo good, IMO better than both Taker matches.

Final Ankle Lock went on for-fucking-ever though.

i don't get the hate for Brie. you're telling me that in a world where Kelly "how do i run ropes" Kelly was a Divas champion, giving the belt to Brie for her last match is the worst thing?

The existence of shitty female wrestlers (here's looking at you, Eva Marie) does not excuse the slightly less shitty female wrestlers. And giving a wrestler the belt in their last match isn't exactly a common thing. Retiring wrestlers generally put someone over on the way out.

Kaladin

Are you telling me that HHH vs Orton and HHH vs Jericho were outshone?! They're further testament to HHH being THE GREATEST EVER, BECAUSE EVERYBODY IN THE WWE SAYS SO.

I know you're just trolling the narrative here, but there are literally interviews where even Triple H talks about not wanting to follow Rock / Hogan or HBK / Taker.

They don't talk about Angle because it's Angle.

miserable

Final Ankle Lock went on for-fucking-ever though.

The existence of shitty female wrestlers (here's looking at you, Eva Marie) does not excuse the slightly less shitty female wrestlers. And giving a wrestler the belt in their last match isn't exactly a common thing. Retiring wrestlers generally put someone over on the way out.

i meant that she'll hold the belt in her last match. she wins at Fastlane then she'll lose to Sasha or Becky at WM (or at the Raw after WM)

Mahonay

Banned
We're luckily not in that world anymore. It's progressed far past that point, and Brie is incapable of working well enough to keep up with the new women.

Nikki did the work and improved enough to at least work some half way decent matches. Nikki's ring presence improved as well.

Brie is completely unchanged from where she was before the new talent came in. So I'm happy to not have her booked in future matches down the road. Brie Bella is a bad wrestler and wholly unconvincing. She detracts from any match she's involved in.
i meant that she'll hold the belt in her last match. she wins at Fastlane then she'll lose to Sasha or Becky at WM (or at the Raw after WM)
I'll be very unhappy if she's champ at Mania.

kiguel182

Brie Bella seems like a nice person and all but she is a bad wrestler. She has no business having the title and winning against Charlotte.

Striker

The only 2 people HHH was more over than in his maina matches was Sheamus and Big Show.
The Triple H match was Sheamus' first Wrestlemania contest. And he lost. This after winning the WWE title from Cena a few months prior and only losing the title at the February PPV.

Kaladin

It's quite obvious at this point the divas division is held back by several factors, a major one being wrestlers who weren't trained in the Performance Center.

Although, you still run into issues when you have two wrestlers who were in the ring together. The agents are different, they're back to fighting for time and they're not seen as a main event level attraction.

I think though as they continue to weed out the performers who can't mesh with the newest crop of divas, they might come closer to resolving the other issues as the action in the ring gets up to par with what we expect from NXT.

Fox318

What is the best match Brie Bella has been in which she doesn't leech off of Bryan's moveset or yes chant?

I mean she and her sister have been part of the company for almost a decade.

What is her best match or program?

I know you're just trolling the narrative here, but there are literally interviews where even Triple H talks about not wanting to follow Rock / Hogan or HBK / Taker.

They don't talk about Angle because it's Angle.

I am sometimes under the impression that Haitch has two personalities... One of them being the NXT boss. Respectful of the abilities of others, confident yet restrained, excellent women's wrestling benefactor, family man, and absolutely hilarious DX Haitch... And the other is the Hulk Hogan-esque racist/sore perpetual winner who damages and sometimes destroys the top-level careers of others, and generally makes others look like idiots (and drones on and on about dull nonsense). The way I see it, he would be far better off in terms of reputation amongst us smarks if he dropped off the TV screens entirely. But eh, he's still sorta got it, and I GUESS he's got some charisma, but yeah, I'm surprised he doesn't realise that no matter how good you remain, you can sometimes just not be well liked any more. He's too samey, also. Not gonna pretend he's completely awful (like some do), as he has many, many good aspects... But I do largely hate him, and everything that he stands for. Sadly though, there shall always be a Hulkster type in wrestling, and for now, it's him.

I don't care what anybody says btw, I'm sure they could bring back Angle for a match or two. People said he should have been dead at least 5 years ago and he's not dead. Cena's probably in worse health overall.

Showaddy

Ruining a potentially great match at Mania for the sake of a goodbye is just stupid. Especially when women's wrestling struggles so much for credibility on the main roster and they get so few chances to actually show what they can do.

Have many people watched the Monday Night Wars documentaries on the network?

It's probably biased somewhat (winners writing the history after all) but it feels refreshingly honest about the industry.

Mahonay

Banned
It's quite obvious at this point the divas division is held back by several factors, a major one being wrestlers who weren't trained in the Performance Center.

Although, you still run into issues when you have two wrestlers who were in the ring together. The agents are different, they're back to fighting for time and they're not seen as a main event level attraction.

I think though as they continue to weed out the performers who can't mesh with the newest crop of divas, they might come closer to resolving the other issues as the action in the ring gets up to par with what we expect from NXT.
Tamina and Naomi next please.

A little rant:
It's unfortunate that Naomi does not appear to have the desire to improve like Cameron does. Sure, Cameron was easily one of their worst wrestlers, but she's attempting to improve down in NXT. Her attitude in general seems to be better than Naomi's, even if Naomi is more athletic than her. Not long ago Naomi was making angry Tweets how she deserves to be Divas champ and should be treated like a veteran. I feel like she's not self aware of how limited she is in the ring, she believes she's just as good as the NXT call ups. She already fucked up on other occasions when they were going to give her the belt when AJ was still there. Even Eva Marie has put in a legit effort to step up her overall game. I'm pretty confident Naomi would be fired if it wasn't for Total Divas.

As far as Tamina goes, she has trouble doing basic wrestling moves and has zero personality. It's obvious she's only there for her size and family lineage.

Top Bottom