• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

UberTag

So is Canada firmly behind Kenny Omega as our lord and savior right now? I mean Owens just lost to Ziggler, Zayn is about to lose to Nakamura and Jericho is about to drag Styles into 50/50 booking hell.

I hear Bobby Roode is champion again... not that it matters at all.

jmdajr

Miz is probably a future WWE hall of famer

Well...he did headline Wrestlemania.

What old school Wrestlemnia (15 and before) performers have yet to be inducted?

Sid Vicious? Who else. Has King Kong Bundy been inducted?

Obviously Hardcore Holly will never be inducted.

I ordered a free month of the network the day of the rumble and my free month runs through Fastlane so that's nice. It's so easy to get free months of the network.

Roman isn't winning two Fastlane #1 contender matches in a row. Ambrose will either drop the title before WM, or he'll take on HHH and pull an Ultimate Warrior by having the IC title and WWE title.

I can also see Roman turning heel at WM by costing Dean the title if HHH & Vince are sick of waiting to find out crowd reactions to Roman.

I remember when that happened for Warrior, it was HUGE. I can't imagine WWE doing that for Ambrose already.

rrc1594

I can't believe they didn't turn Roman heel at SS. It was the perfect chance to get a Heel that can get heat and a big face. Why are they so hard headed?

I'm not entirely sure but I feel like these guys haven't had their moment.

Big John Studd
Earthquake
George 'The Animal' Steel?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A couple of months ago I didn't like almost anything about Ambrose, but the guy has grown on me and I see him being the top male babyface and Becky the female babyface. Roman is going to get booed out of every arena he enters. Sadly, it's a case as dead as no one giving a fuck about Bray Wyatt.

Bayley is going to be huge when she comes up. The Divas Revolution branding was unfortunate but I think they've done a decent job of elevating the division from being "hot girls in 3 minute squash matches" to being normal matches. It just took a while to find something that stuck.

I remember when that happened for Warrior, it was HUGE. I can't imagine WWE doing that for Ambrose already.

That was a way different era though. Titles get thrown around all of the time now and taking both titles doesn't really mean anything. When Warrior took the title off of the Honky Tonk Man I think he'd been IC champ for like a year and a half.

jmdajr

Bayley is going to be huge when she comes up. The Divas Revolution branding was unfortunate but I think they've done a decent job of elevating the division from being "hot girls in 3 minute squash matches" to being normal matches. It just took a while to find something that stuck.

The women's title actually means something again. It took awhile but before it was just hot potato with the dumb thing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The women's title actually means something again. It took awhile but before it was just hot potato with the dumb thing.

People still hate on Charlotte, but she has improved a LOT by turning heel.

How is everyone feeling about the comedic aspect of R Truth and Golddust?

I'm 50/50 on Bayley being a success when she comes up. I feel like the crowd is going to be too smarky for everything with her.

Zach

Hardcore Holly headlined WrestleMania?! So, the Roman Reigns Era is actually a second darkest timeline?

Angry Grimace

How is everyone feeling about the comedic aspect of R Truth and Golddust?

I'm 50/50 on Bayley being a success when she comes up. I feel like the crowd is going to be too smarky for everything with her.

Smarks treat her like female Daniel Bryan and the company treats her like female John Cena. It's calculated to be a huge hit. I'm confident by year's end you'll be seeing her doing those Titus O'Neil WWE CARES ABOUT CHARITY AND SHIT spots and grown men on television wearing "I'm a Hugger" shirts.

She's one of the few that it's in-between. By all rights, she should be one of the three biggest successes they've had in a decade, but she's just as likely to bust back down to NXT if the fans don't immediately take to her, and if her entrance is changed even slightly in the main roster, she's already screwed.

Zach

Hardcore Holly didn't headline a WrestleMania.
A Royal Rumble? Yes. But not a WrestleMania.

Whoops. I reread his post. I was just confused. I think. It's a confusing post. Yes, he's to blame.

Guys, I finished The Sopranos last night and the final scene was incredible.

Sting - already announced

Owen Hart - they just put out a DVD for him
The Fabulous Freebirds - the show is in Dallas, so this makes sense
Rick Rude - ties to Texas make him a candidate
Demolition - you might as well
Ivan Koloff
Vader - seems to be on good terms with WWE
The NWO - can't because of Hogan
Cyndi Lauper - would she want to?
The Hart Foundation - Bret would probably decline at this time because of his prostate cancer
The Rock - too soon still
Kurt Angle - rocky relations
The Undertaker - who knows

The "one dead guy" rule probably means it's either Owen Hart or Rick Rude, and the historical guys like Ray Stevens or Bruiser Brody won't be inducted this year even though Brody makes a ton of sense for Dallas.

Angry Grimace

She's one of the few that it's in-between. By all rights, she should be one of the three biggest successes they've had in a decade, but she's just as likely to bust back down to NXT if the fans don't immediately take to her, and if her entrance is changed even slightly in the main roster, she's already screwed.

It's one of those things where I think Bayley showing on on the Raw after Mania (which I fully expect) which is a smarky-as-all-fuck crowd that tends to set the tone for a long time is going to put her over instantly because she's gonna get a huge pop.

Even Sasha, who has been on the main roster doing basically nothing for almost six months got a really big pop from the Rumble crowd just by showing up.

Kaladin

screenshot-2016-02-02-10-33-05-e1454427256969.png

John Hunter Nemechek has never met “Nature Boy” Ric Flair, but Nemechek will honor the Hall of Fame wrestler with a neon-colored helmet that features a portrait of Flair on the back. The helmet, designed by Off Axis Paint, will debut this month at Daytona International Speedway.

The 18-year-old NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver learned about Flair from his father, Joe Nemechek, who was a big fan of the wrestler.

“I always heard dad talk about Ric Flair as one of his idols,” John Hunter Nemechek told NASCAR Talk. “A bunch of the guys in the shop … pretty much everyone is a big Ric Flair fan. We’re hoping to get him out to a race at one point.”

When his dad saw the helmet, what was his reaction?

“He just smiled and laughed,” Nemechek said.

Nemechek admits that Flair, a 16-time world heavyweight champion, can provide inspiration for this upcoming season, noting Flair’s success.

“Hopefully, we can be the champs,” said Nemechek, who scored his first Truck win last year at Chicagoland Speedway and finished 12th in the points despite missing five races because he was not old enough to compete on the larger tracks at the time.

To be champion, Nemechek will have to follow one of Flair’s famous sayings: “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.”

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/02/02/wooooo-nascar-driver-honors-wrestler-ric-flair-on-helmet/

Good lord that thing is ugly. At least it kind of looks like Flair.

Because I clearly hate myself it's time to rewatch a classic edition of 2012 Raw.
That may sound like a term that makes no sense, like any Raw was actually worth a damn in 2012 but boy this edition from a February of the past was a so bad it's not quite good but fun to witness goldmine.

February 13th 2012
It kicks off with a close up of Kane highlighting how his mask emphasises his nose, he's gonna finally make Cena embrace the hate tonight.
The Elimination Chamber participants have a verbal debate complete with podiums, CM Punk looks embarrassed to be part of this segment that's even taking place. Highlights include the return of Johnny Ace and his raspy voice, Punk not giving a shit, Crazy Truth being crazy and Kofi Kingston finally getting a chance to speak only to blow it with "hey, hey, Miz, why don't you...shut up", the whole thing is a verbal clusterfuck.
Cole insists that Randy Orton vs Big Show is a great upcoming match which we all know is not true.

We get an overly long segment where HBK tries goading Trips into facing Taker at mania leading to Trips exclaiming "I'VE GOT RESPONSIBILITIES, REAL LIFE RESPONSIBILITIES!".
Eventually we get a video from Taker's creepy shack filled with photos of his WM27 match, his win was so lacklustre it's caused him to go mad and cut his hair as one does.
Apparently Tamina Snuka was around in 2012, I guess she is something of a diva veteran as said on Raw this week.

Never mind all that though, I'm here to relive some glorious storyline stupidity.

Kane decides to kidknap Eve within earshot of Cena, intentionally so it would seem so he can get the guys attention, in fact he even waits around for him and Eve is nice enough to just waltz on in, or they're just not aware that the cameras rolling yet.
After thwarting Cena's attempted heroics Kane slowly drives off seemingly oblivious to the fact that Eve can just open the door and leave (though she doesn't appear to think of this herself until Cena gives her the idea). Basically Kane's plan sucks, or does it?

Such a dangerous situation gets Eve caught up in the moment and she plants one on our valiant hero who achieved getting his head smashed into the ambulance door and not much else.
Little do they realise that somehow Zack Ryder wheeled himself over to this dangerous situation complete with roses for Eve, impressive stealth skills on Ryder's part leads to this dramatic reveal.
Golly gosh this was Kane's plan all along..... I hope.
Now Eve looks like a damn hoeski and Cena looks confused.

Later Cena cuts a promo saying how he rises above hate and all that, we should've listened because he really does. Then he faces his ultimate challenge as his heartbroken bro Ryder sloooowly hobbles down to the ring.
They exchange constipated expressions until Ryder's rage boils over into a mighty slap.
In defending himself Cena ultimately pushes down a cripple, a truly villainous act if I ever saw one.

All part of the master plan as Kane has a preprepared video package basically saying that Cena is the real monster here for his women stealing actions which weren't really women stealing actions anyway, sinking to depths that Kane himself couldn't dream of, even Good Guy Glenn himself delivers this statement in a half hearted "what is this shit?" manner.
Brilliantly Kane says how he's effectively going to put Cena on the shelf in their upcoming ambulance match but is nice enough to specify that we wont see Cena again until Wrestlemania because even the murderous monster isn't going to harm the main event of the granddaddy of them all.
Man this may be the worst monster Kane run of all time (and what spawned the inspiration for our OT subtitle, "Kane, in 2012" everybody), fortunately he then wheels Ryder off the stage and it's amazing.

And Ryder would never recover from this character burial and now tags with Mojo Rawley, the end.

Angry Grimace

Bam Bam Bigelow
DDP
Demolition's Theme Song

kiguel182

Really, Ambrose might be a better choice than Reigns but not much better. That promo with Brock was nothing to write home about. "porky"? really?

His wrestling is also not appealing to me. Both the character and the in-ring performance don't do anything for me.

Ambrose is a far cry from Rollins or Bryan.

UberTag

It's one of those things where I think Bayley showing on on the Raw after Mania (which I fully expect) which is a smarky-as-all-fuck crowd that tends to set the tone for a long time is going to put her over instantly because she's gonna get a huge pop.

Even Sasha, who has been on the main roster doing basically nothing for almost six months got a really big pop from the Rumble crowd just by showing up.
Straightforward textbook booking would be to have Sasha go over at Mania. Bayley confronts her the next night on RAW. Smart crowd goes apeshit.

That's the thing: I expect there to be at least one full-time NXT callup on the post-Mania Raw, but I expect it to be Zayn or Joe (if Joe's ever coming up, that's the perfect time), with Bayley and/or Balor coming later in the year if at all

UberTag

That's the thing: I expect there to be at least one full-time NXT callup on the post-Mania Raw, but I expect it to be Zayn or Joe (if Joe's ever coming up, that's the perfect time), with Bayley and/or Balor coming later in the year if at all
Zayn is pretty much already telegraphed.
Joe is likely but not a certainty.
I'm doubtful about Bayley making the leap along with them despite the reception she would clearly receive.

Can't wait for that 50/50 Owens vs. Zayn program that will follow this riveting 50/50 Owens vs. Ziggler program.

Angry Grimace

They really have an embarrassment of riches in terms of talent. It's kind of funny given how laser-fucking-focused they are on "get Reigns over." Merch sales really is a big detriment to telling fun stories.

Angry Grimace

Bayley I think is something they need to do just right because what she does is calculated to do a lot of things for them. I understand there's a lot of people who are pessimistic about it (and frankly WWE has given reasons for that attitude with the way it books and treats females), but I legitimately think her low-end potential is just being Becky Lynch right now and her high-end potential is tapping demographics that barely even exist right now, e.g. younger girls.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

I am really suprised it most likely wont be Balor after mania, the guy is a great wrestle, paid his dues etc. but i heard they are using him to make the NXT brand stronger.

UberTag

Bayley I think is something they need to do just right because what she does is calculated to do a lot of things for them. I understand there's a lot of people who are pessimistic about it (and frankly WWE has given reasons for that attitude with the way it books and treats females), but I legitimately think her low-end potential is just being Becky Lynch right now and her high-end potential is tapping demographics that barely even exist right now, e.g. younger girls.
AJ Lee tapped that demographic and we saw what the WWE did with it.

Wasn't Goldberg a rumored inductee at one point?

Angry Grimace

AJ Lee tapped that demographic and we saw what the WWE did with it.

I'm not denying that I'm overly optimistic about Bayley on the main roster. I just don't think they actually can fuck it up unless they attempt to turn her heel or something.

I am really suprised it most likely wont be Balor after mania, the guy is a great wrestle, paid his dues etc. but i heard they are using him to make the NXT brand stronger.

I think there's no real reason for Balor to get called up at this point because there's no spot that makes sense for him. If I'm the Bookerman it's a feud with AJ Styles, but AJ hasn't really established himself as doing anything yet and they're both faces.

The problem with all of this is that Balor is marketable as fuck and apparently Vince has a chub for him, so I can see them fucking that up.

UberTag

50/50 is actually good when both wrestlers are interesting.
It's good when there's an organic rivalry built up that's revisited every so often that works towards putting both guys over.

It's not good when the wrestlers are simply trotting out for the same match each week, not cutting any promos and simply trading wins back and forth to pad a bloated 3 hour weekly show.

Shadow780

The pop Sasha got was mainly due to RR typically is probably the 2nd smarkiest crowd PPV-wise, also it's in Orlando which is basically Sasha's home turf before she got the call-up.

I have more faith in women's booking way more than on the man side, it's not saying much but Bayley's character is pretty well-developed at this point. She's not Tyler Breeze with his niche gimmick, should be as close as a sure-fire way to get her over with the main crowd.

now watch Vince give her 10-yr old fan-girl gimmick again

thefro

I think with Bayley you just have to nail her real backstory of being a huge legit wrestling fan growing up in some video packages, etc and let the heels get some heat on her.

jmdajr

Wasn't Goldberg a rumored inductee at one point?

He doesn't like The King of Kings so I don't know how that will work.

They haven't even made The Self Destruction of Bill Goldberg yet.

Although the Monday Night Wars did take the times to bash him a little bit for being the hack that he is.

Top Bottom