• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Sephzilla

Hulk Hogan is hot garbage as a "talent" as well but he could garner a reaction. The only thing worse is no reaction and Eva Marie is gettin it. Good on her.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

smdwn124-11.jpg

.....whoa

Hulk Hogan as a talent is nowhere near the garbage tier that Eva Marie is in. Hogan was good enough to actually be able to mask some of his flaws and focus purely on what his strengths were as an in-ring performer. Hogan was also an excellent talker.

Kaiterra

Banned
Oh come on. Hogan was a hell of a talker.
Eva can't do anything. All she does is raise her arms because that's the video game taunt she was taught. I still recall that "you....verse...me" promo where she just stopped halfway through and restarted the whole thing from scratch exactly the same because she could only recite the script she was given.

Yeah this is the problem more than how potentially unsafe she is in terms of crowd reaction. But hey it's being harnessed so good on the people in charge I guess.

That still probably only has legs as an NXT "gimmick" though, I dunno.

Alucard

Banned
Hogan knew how to do one match type in the WWE: babyface in peril who gets whipped like Jesus before making his comeback and pulling out the W. He did it better than anyone else. His facial reactions were second to none.

This is why Triple H is the babyface -

"He’s the guy who gave them their NXT and him clearly wanting that adulation while winking that he’s playing bad guy on television and that the angles on the show don’t count."

#politicalhit

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh come on. Hogan was a hell of a talker.
Eva can't do anything. All she does is raise her arms because that's the video game taunt she was taught. I still recall that "you....verse...me" promo where she just stopped halfway through and restarted the whole thing from scratch exactly the same because she could only recite the script she was given.

I'm not trying to say Eva Marie is on the same level as Hogan, just mentioning the in-ring and how talent doesn't matter there

Mahonay

Banned
Hogan knew how to do one match type in the WWE: babyface in peril who gets whipped like Jesus before making his comeback and pulling out the W. He did it better than anyone else. His facial reactions were second to none.
I hate Hogan but even I love his WM18 match against Rock. His expressions and reactions play so amazingly well to huge stadiums.

Mahonay

Banned
This is why Triple H is the babyface -

"He’s the guy who gave them their NXT and him clearly wanting that adulation while winking that he’s playing bad guy on television and that the angles on the show don’t count."

#politicalhit
Better than Vince's current political plays which involve completely taking people off TV and making performers look bad to the audience on purpose.

Sephzilla

I hate Hogan but even I love his WM18 match against Rock. His expressions and reactions play so amazingly well to huge stadiums.

Everyone in that stadium marked out when Hogan started to hulk up. The only way it could have been any more perfect would have been if the black and white colors would have exploded off of him to reveal the red and yellow colors underneath.

Ithil

I'm not trying to say Eva Marie is on the same level as Hogan, just mentioning the in-ring and how talent doesn't matter there

It does matter when she's so far below the level of everyone else, and that they're trying to push an improvement in the women's wrestling in NXT, and WWE (to a lesser extent). She actively brings down matches just by being in them, regardless of her being heavily booed for being shit.

And again, if she was some charismatic sort, or some great talker, you can make the argument she can have some other role. Alexa is not great at wrestling, though much better than Eva, but she's great at talking and emoting, that alone makes her valuable given how stiff many of the women are when speaking.
But she's not. She is maybe the worst talker in the company, and one of the least charismatic people they've ever had. So what's her value?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It does matter when she's so far below the level of everyone else, and that they're trying to push an improvement in the women's wrestling in NXT, and WWE (to a lesser extent). She actively brings down matches just by being in them, regardless of her being heavily booed for being shit.

And again, if she was some charismatic sort, or some great talker, you can make the argument she can have some other role. Alexa is not great at wrestling, though much better than Eva, but she's great at talking and emoting, that alone makes her valuable given how stiff many of the women are when speaking.
But she's not. She is maybe the worst talker in the company, and one of the least charismatic people they've ever had. So what's her value?

Some people are better than others, and Eva Marie is in developmental.

Her value is HUGELY on her look. And there is value there. The look grabs people. Lots of people who don't watch wrestling see her in whatever crossover it may be and they notice her. She isn't lost in the crowd. There's value there, it's just not in the ring.

Ithil

Better than Vince's current political plays which involve completely taking people off TV and making performers look bad to the audience on purpose.

Just like all those "make sure WCW looks bad" bits.
Ha, I made my own property look worse and lose value, that'll show...me?

Ithil

Some people are better than others, and Eva Marie is in developmental.

Her value is HUGELY on her look. And there is value there. The look grabs people. Lots of people who don't watch wrestling see her in whatever crossover it may be and they notice her. She isn't lost in the crowd. There's value there, it's just not in the ring.

Her value is "she's hot"?

They are overflowing with hot women. Plenty hotter than her, in fact. I do not buy this idea that she's some kind of special look. More importantly they have hot women who can actually do things.

When I said she's far below the level of everyone else, I meant everyone else in developmental. If she's that bad, then she can stay off TV and wrestle on the small Florida house shows like the other trainees like Sara Lee who aren't good enough to be on TV yet.

Zach

Top 10

Ric Flair
Arn Anderson
"Ravishing" Rick Rude
The Steiner Bros.
Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
"Stunning" Steve Austin
Lord Steven Regal
Big Van Vader
Dean Malenko
Sting

Well said.

What's more important, drawing heat or putting on a good match? Thankfully, there is an abundance of talent on the roster that can do both.

Then why is Eva Marie the only person on the NXT roster who can draw actual heat if there are people on the roster who can draw actual heat? After all, even "great heel" Kevin Owens gets massive pops everytime he comes out.

I mean, give Eva Marie six weeks to plan out a match like all the Horsewomen got with the agents and maybe she can get a **** match too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Her value is "she's hot"?

They are overflowing with hot women. Plenty hotter than her, in fact. I do not buy this idea that she's some kind of special look. More importantly they have hot women who can actually do things.

When I said she's far below the level of everyone else, I meant everyone else in developmental. If she's that bad, then she can stay off TV and wrestle on the small Florida house shows like the other trainees like Sara Lee who aren't good enough to be on TV yet.

Eva Marie does have a special look, it's her red hair. She catches the eye. Yes, they are overflowing with what we feel are attractive women, but she stands apart from the others with a signature look. Obviously what is attractive is subjective, but WWE and also myself feel she stands a good shot to rope people in. Why else was she part of the WWE.com rebranding video instead of, say, Alexa Bliss? If you asked me "Ok, pick someone eye-catching to appear in this promotional thing" I'd definitely go after Eva Marie due to her hair, secondly due to everything else as she fits a certain mold.

Well said.

What's more important, drawing heat or putting on a good match? Thankfully, there is an abundance of talent on the roster that can do both.

Drawing heat. But I agree, plenty can do both, which is why Cesaro has failed even when it appeared he had it all.

Ithil

Well said.

It's great to get all that heat, sure, but there is a bare minimum of talent you need to meet to take advantage of that, and she doesn't meet it. Bo Dallas (in his NXT title reign) met it, he was limited but he knew why he was booed and how to accentuate it with his promos and mannerisms. He was also adequate in the ring, in an FCW sort of way, to have other, better wrestlers like Sami or Neville have really good, heated matches with him.

Zach

It's great to get all that heat, sure, but there is a bare minimum of talent you need to meet to take advantage of that, and she doesn't meet it. Bo Dallas (in his NXT title reign) met it, he was limited but he knew why he was booed and how to accentuate it with his promos and mannerisms. He was also adequate in the ring, in an FCW sort of way, to have other, better wrestlers like Sami or Neville have really good, heated matches with him.

Ithil, you have a certain -- dare I say? -- perspicacity about these things.

Mahonay

Banned
Top 10

Ric Flair
Arn Anderson
"Ravishing" Rick Rude
The Steiner Bros.
Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
"Stunning" Steve Austin
Lord Steven Regal
Big Van Vader
Dean Malenko
Sting
Top 10 in no particular order

Stone Cold
HBK
Eddie
Malenko
Muta
Foley
Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson
Brock Lesnar
Kurt Angle
Nakamura

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man thats beautiful when done right. I just had Saturday afternoons from my childhood flash before me.

AA one of the best all around ever.

Liquidsnake I know you're #AllRedEverything so help support me please.

I just laughed at Red Hair and Looks being a draw. Those are two things that are replaceable and can be found anywhere.

Not being a draw, the red hair is not drawing money. It's getting interest. It's catching peoples' eye. Eva Marie catches peoples' eyes.

Ithil

Eva Marie does have a special look, it's her red hair. She catches the eye. Yes, they are overflowing with what we feel are attractive women, but she stands apart from the others with a signature look. Obviously what is attractive is subjective, but WWE and also myself feel she stands a good shot to rope people in. Why else was she part of the WWE.com rebranding video instead of, say, Alexa Bliss? If you asked me "Ok, pick someone eye-catching to appear in this promotional thing" I'd definitely go after Eva Marie due to her hair, secondly due to everything else as she fits a certain mold.

Drawing heat. But I agree, plenty can do both, which is why Cesaro has failed even when it appeared he had it all.

Hair dye. That's her special appeal?

And Cesaro "failed" because at the height of his popularity they turned him heel and had him stand next to Paul Heyman and do nothing while Heyman talked about how great Brock Lesnar was.

Top Bottom