• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Hair dye. That's her special appeal?

And Cesaro "failed" because at the height of his popularity they turned him heel and had him stand next to Paul Heyman and do nothing while Heyman talked about how great Brock Lesnar was.

But he botched that one promo! Because no one has ever botched a promo once, nevermind repeatedly.

MY0LwvA.png

Mahonay

Banned

And Cesaro "failed" because at the height of his popularity they turned him heel and had him stand next to Paul Heyman and do nothing while Heyman talked about how great Brock Lesnar was.
That was so fucking stupid. I remember being so angry watching Cesaro get shoved aside for no good reason.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Cesaro was still missing something, they gave him promo time and he bungled it. There's no personality underneath, and we know it's there, he's done it before, but he seems completely hamstrung when it's his moment. I completely agree that his momentum immediately died with the addition of Heyman, but he's had some other opportunities. Nice Guy Cesaro just isn't clicking. There's something else that needs to happen, dammit.

A unique look is important. I'd say Bliss looks SIMILAR to others on the roster. She doesn't stand out in a women's roster of similarities. Asuka looks unique and stands out because of her GOD DAMN AWFUL garb, but it works in her favor and she'll do well, but she's not like Eva Marie's aesthetic.

Vince and I just argued about HHH. I draw a very bold line between kayfabe and crowd reaction. People are cheering for Owens because he is a damn good Heel. No, he's a great one. People appreciate a good heel when we've hardly had one for some time. But people cheering for him doesn't make him "good guy" Kevin Owens.

People didn't used to "appreciate" a good heel. They tried to stab them. If you're a heel and getting a significant amount of cheers, you're a failure as a heel. For example, after his return to WCW in '93, Flair should've never been a heel because he was never able to be an effective one.

Instead of Pop Up Powerbombs and other 'cool' moves, Owens should be doing headlocks and chinlocks.

Ithil

Liquidsnake I know you're #AllRedEverything so help support me please.

Not being a draw, the red hair is not drawing money. It's getting interest. It's catching peoples' eye. Eva Marie catches peoples' eyes.

But they all have brightly dyed hair now. Sasha, Alexa, Becky, Asuka, Paige (not bright but dyed), etc.
So what's the difference? She's no more pretty than anyone else they've got.

DMczaf

I want to go back to all the posts from people who made jokes about AJ getting a dancing gimmick in a month back when the news leaked that he signed with WWE....but I don't want to hurt myself.

Mahonay

Banned
Cesaro was still missing something, they gave him promo time and he bungled it. There's no personality underneath, and we know it's there, he's done it before, but he seems completely hamstrung when it's his moment. I completely agree that his momentum immediately died with the addition of Heyman, but he's had some other opportunities. Nice Guy Cesaro just isn't clicking. There's something else that needs to happen, dammit.

A unique look is important. I'd say Bliss looks SIMILAR to others on the roster. She doesn't stand out in a women's roster of similarities. Asuka looks unique and stands out because of her GOD DAMN AWFUL garb, but it works in her favor and she'll do well, but she's not like Eva Marie's aesthetic.
Cesaro was super duper over and their decision was to give people less Cesaro because he messed up a promo that one time. Yeah that seems like pretty sound decision making.
But he botched that one promo! Because no one has ever botched a promo once, nevermind repeatedly.

MY0LwvA.png
Fucking this. Jesus Christ.

jmdajr

The ninth Republican debate, in Greenville, South Carolina, is classic Trump. He turns these things into WWE contests, and since he has actual WWE experience after starring in Wrestlemania in 2007, he knows how to play these moments like a master.

Interestingly, a lot of Trump's political act seems lifted from bully-wrestlers. A clear influence is "Ravishing" Rick Rude, an Eighties champ whose shtick was to insult the audience. He would tell ticket holders they were "fat, ugly sweat hogs," before taking off his robe to show them "what a real sexy man looks like."

On Trump using WWE tactics in politics
also

Jeb took the high road for most of the past calendar year, but Trump used his gentlemanly dignity against him. What Trump understands better than his opponents is that NASCAR America, WWE America, always loves seeing the preening self-proclaimed good guy get whacked with a chair. In Greenville, Trump went after Jeb this time on the issue of his brother's invasion of Iraq.

Ithil

He made one flub. Reigns shits the bed weekly in promos and that's ok apparently, but Cesaro flubs one line and he's done forever? Shane forgot his lines on Monday and Vince had to step in to cover it, should Shane never be allowed to speak again?

I don't think Eva has a unique look anyway, in fact her whole issue is looks so generic and manufactured. They literally had a Total Divas storyline that she had to have the red hair because she looks like a Bella clone without it.
The two most unique looks they have in the women are Asuka and Bayley.

joelseph

Don't forget the air siren intro. That is doing no one any favors ever.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But they all have brightly dyed hair now. Sasha, Alexa, Becky, Asuka, Paige (not bright but dyed), etc.
So what's the difference? She's no more pretty than anyone else they've got.

Well, that's subjective. I'd say the only other person who has that kind of "sit up and notice" look is Paige. Everyone is improving as compared to, say, the 2010 group of women they had. They all realize they shouldn't all look like Playboy models (thanks for that, Johnny Ace, you shit) and can look like personalities instead of fitting into a mold. We're at a point where that "mold" of what used to be is unique in its own way, ala Nikki Bella (who used the twins to differentiate themselves from the others) - so in a way, their somewhat standard expected looks are in themselves unique and individual.

I want to go back to all the posts from people who made jokes about AJ getting a dancing gimmick in a month back when the news leaked that he signed with WWE....but I don't want to hurt myself.

Judging from Smackdown they can bring Nakamura in as AJ's Japanese friend.

Mahonay

Banned
Don't forget the air siren intro. That is doing no one any favors ever.
Man what a shit entrance song. The first time I heard it I legit thought Scott Steiner was about to walk out.

For all that is good in this world I hope he's covinced someone to work on a new song for his return.

Ithil

Well, that's subjective. I'd say the only other person who has that kind of "sit up and notice" look is Paige. Everyone is improving as compared to, say, the 2010 group of women they had. They all realize they shouldn't all look like Playboy models (thanks for that, Johnny Ace, you shit) and can look like personalities instead of fitting into a mold. We're at a point where that "mold" of what used to be is unique in its own way, ala Nikki Bella (who used the twins to differentiate themselves from the others) - so in a way, their somewhat standard expected looks are in themselves unique and individual.
Perhaps I'm just over that "plastic surgery Barbie" look, hence why Eva does absolutely nothing special for me.

I guess I should have mentioned Nia Jax as a unique look, though I don't think it's a good unique look. The gear and hair just don't mix.

Im not sure what there is to argue?

Eva has improved so much in the ring, that she is telling compelling stories now.
Eva has the best personality I have have seen in a long long time. She is 180 degrees from a year ago.

Believe me when I say something clicked, and her in ring mannerisms is something that is godly. HHH or someone has spent some real time teaching her.

And she is the most beautiful woman walking the earth. Best HEEL in WWE.

Anyone saying she is Hogan, is on to one thing, she is starting to master the art.

I completely get that. The problem is crowd culture today vs back in '93 are completely different. I assert, that crowd reaction today is predominately made with the intent on giving creative immediate feedback on the product and imposing a degree of self importance. So, when a KO gets cheered, you have the crowd telling back office, here's a character we like. That he is heel or face is incidental.

And that's why the crowd sucks today. Because it's full of people trying to get themselves over or trying to hijack the show so they can get upvotes on Reddit instead of being full of people who want their heroes to win or wanting the bad guys to get their asses kicked.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE should just mute all crowd mics when anything Reigns happens, and just not even pretend to care about their fans anymore.

I've never seen someone post about Reigns as much as you do. You should stop watching until he's gone, he's definitely got into your soul.

Meet me. Seriously. We're both in Tulsa. We'll have nice lunch and then I will wreck your beefy bod.

I'd be honored to treat you to a lunch worthy of the Four Horsemen sometime. You work downtown though, yeah?

Perhaps I'm just over that "plastic surgery Barbie" look, hence why Eva does absolutely nothing special for me.

I guess I should have mentioned Nia Jax as a unique look, though I don't think it's a good unique look. The gear and hair just don't mix.

I am too! I am completely on board with that as well, and I love Jax's look. I'm tired of that traditional bullshit and old standards of what constitutes beauty. So while Eva Marie doesn't do it for me, I can still recognize that to many people that's what they want, and I think she catches the eye and is very marketable.

Mahonay

Banned

Eva has improved so much in the ring, that she is telling compelling stories now.
Eva has the best personality, I have have seen in a long long time. She is 180 degrees froam a year ago.

Believe me when I say something clicked, and her in ring mannerisms is something that is godly. HHH or someone has spent some real time teaching her.

You really need an #AllRedEverything tag for your GAF profile. I admire your commitment.

Kaiterra

Banned

Eva has the best personality I have have seen in a long long time. She is 180 degrees from a year ago.

Anyone saying she is Hogan, is on to one thing, she is starting to master the art.

No lie this feels like a Trump promo

Mahonay

Banned
The security camera footage of Dash and Dawson jumping Enzo outside of NXT was super well done.

That and the phone footage of Brock attacking Ambrose. They are getting extremely good at it.

Ithil

I am too! I am completely on board with that as well, and I love Jax's look. I'm tired of that traditional bullshit and old standards of what constitutes beauty. So while Eva Marie doesn't do it for me, I can still recognize that to many people that's what they want, and I think she catches the eye and is very marketable.

Well she is free to go be a model in that case, but the extent of her marketability seems to be "can be on posters".

Zach

You're just the right amount of creepy, Liquidsnake. Set the controls to the farthest star and fly away, little weirdo. I love you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well she is free to go be a model in that case, but the extent of her marketability seems to be "can be on posters".

Wasn't this basically Kelly Kelly's underlying purpose? I'm just saying, lots of people see no value in her, but there is value, even if she never improves a single bit in the ring.

BFIB

The security camera footage of Dash and Dawson jumping Enzo outside of NXT was super well done.

That and the phone footage of Brock attacking Ambrose. They are getting extremely good at it.
I kept waiting for the person filming the Brock/Ambrose footage to be that WWE fan plant. He turns the phone around and has his shocked face.

Aiii

So not worth it

You are not allowed to like Eva around these parts. Apparently that makes you a gimmick poster, or so I was informed a month ago. So I have stopped posting my positive opinions on her. But fuck that. Eva is improving greatly. Definitely putting in the work. She is also one of the better personalities on Total Divas.

Eva is money. Legit. That is why she gets a Funko Pop before many others, because it will sell, because she is more over than most other women on the NXT and main roster.

But alas, those truths aren't appreciated as much since they don't jive with the "wrestling is pure and sacred" smark opinion.

Ithil

Wasn't this basically Kelly Kelly's underlying purpose? I'm just saying, lots of people see no value in her, but there is value, even if she never improves a single bit in the ring.

Kelly Kelly was from a different era. If Eva can time travel back to when Divas couldn't wrestle or talk and existed to solely be eye candy for posters and nothing more, she can, but otherwise she's outdated and has no real place. She's on the Fastlane advert, and some of the WM posters, and she's not even on TV. So how do you advertise someone who isn't even a character on your TV? There's no purpose in that.
You would apparently "catch someone's eye" and then said eye catcher never appears on RAW. Bordering on false advertising there.

Though make no mistake, she would be a terrible talent even in the Kelly Kelly era.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Eva Marie looks like a Golden Axe character, you can't teach that

Underestimating the value of WWE x SEGA cross promotion

Whoa, you're right. Tyris Flare halloween shoot.

You are not allowed to like Eva around these parts. Apparently that makes you a gimmick poster, or so I was informed a month ago. So I have stopped posting my positive opinions on her. But fuck that. Eva is improving greatly. Definitely putting in the work. She is also one of the better personalities on Total Divas.

Eva is money. Legit. That is why she gets a Funko Pop before many others, because it will sell, because she is more over than most other women on the NXT and main roster.

But alas, those truths aren't appreciated as much since they don't jive with the "wrestling is pure and sacred" smark opinion.

She got a Funko Pop? Wow.

SHE HAS A NOTICEABLE LOOK, DAMMIT

Kelly Kelly was from a different era. If Eva can time travel back to when Divas couldn't wrestle or talk and existed to solely be eye candy for posters and nothing more, she can, but otherwise she's outdated and has no real place. She's on the Fastlane advert, and some of the WM posters, and she's not even on TV. So how do you advertise someone who isn't even a character on your TV? There's no purpose in that.
You would apparently "catch someone's eye" and then said eye catcher never appears on RAW. Bordering on false advertising there.

Though make no mistake, she would be a terrible talent even in the Kelly Kelly era.

I still feel there's a place for simple eye candy at the expense of talent. There are ways to make money with it.

Mahonay

Banned
That doesn't exactly match up with the part where people are excited for fucking Shane McMahon vs The Undertaker. It's so ridiculous and doesn't make any kind of sense but it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

Not liking someone who is generally bad as a wrestler outside of her persona is not a smark opinion brother dude. OBSERVE THIS.

Top Bottom