• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

Menome

Let the conspiracy theories commence:

TjDJ8Hp.jpg

dream

Really, really great article on Bleacher Report about how myopic smarks are because they don't even realize what they're doing to themselves: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ns-to-mcmahon-epidemic-and-own-indecisiveness

Some highlights:

For years, fans begged WWE to push young talent. They pleaded for the company to bring forth Superstars of youth that could supplant the John Cenas, Triple Hs and Undertakers of the world and carry it into the future.

When Reigns put forth a dominant showing in the 2014 Royal Rumble, fans reacted favorably, and it appeared as though the company had done right by them. When he received such a strong pop for beating Triple H and leading The Shield to a victory over Evolution later that year, the juggernaut was firmly established as the future face of WWE.

But as the push became a reality, fans turned on Reigns, booing him because he suddenly and inexplicably did not represent what they wanted in a top star. It was hardly the first time that had happened. In the age of the Internet, fans had a history of building up a Superstar through tremendous cheers and incredible pops, only to reject them when it was no longer cool to cheer WWE's chosen one.

What is strange, though, is that by booing Reigns to such a degree that they have over the last two months, those fans have brought about the return of McMahon family drama to WWE television.

That's right, the same members of the WWE Universe who took to the Internet to champion change in professional wrestling have necessitated the return of CEO Vince McMahon to television. Then, on the same February 22 episode of Raw, erupted for the return of his son, Shane.

Make no mistake about it: The return of the McMahon epidemic and their domination of television time has everything to do with the fans rejecting Reigns for reasons that still do not make much sense.

Is Reigns booked like a world beater who overcomes the odds and wins more than he loses? Of course, but so was Cena, Steve Austin, The Rock and Hulk Hogan. Every major babyface has followed that same pattern dating back to 1984.

Austin and Rock rose to international Superstardom in the same exact role that Reigns finds himself in now, battling the corruption of the McMahons.

The unfortunate reality is that guys like Austin and Rock would never get over with today's audience because they would be turned on the moment it appeared as though management was getting behind them. Why? Because it is the nature of today's industry.

But when the McMahon family returns to television and takes time away from AJ Styles, The New Day, Neville, The Social Outcasts and Owens, no one bats an eye. It is hypocrisy that defines today's fan base and, unfortunately, leads to annual temper tantrums from entitled fans no longer happy enough with being given what they originally asked for.

Showaddy

I presume if they actually do form a stable with Finn, Gallows & Anderson it'll just be called Bulletproof and not Bulletproof Balor Club?

Vestal

Really, really great article on Bleacher Report about how myopic smarks are because they don't even realize what they're doing to themselves: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ns-to-mcmahon-epidemic-and-own-indecisiveness

Some highlights:

There is so much fucking wrong with those comparisons, that no one could read through that article and not start laughing out loud.

Put Austin and Rock in the same breath as Reigns??

Funny how the writer overlooked the fact that Rock got booed out of the fucking building on his first big push as a baby face and had to rework his image and his style to get over with the crowd.

That's were the similarity ends, Reigns doesn't hold a candle in the ring or on the mic to either of them.

Roman doesn't have IT. Austin and Rock had IT. I'm sick of so called smarts telling us why we should believe he is the top guy.

To Reigns' credit, pretty much every big match he's had has been at least worthwhile, if not outright good - even great, as was the case with Brock, which was the most convincing, psychological, and well-sold "Hellacious beatdown followed by a mounting comeback" match in years.

dream

is that a gimmick article from a gimmick website, friend dream?

I am frankly shocked by your insinuation, Data West. Bleacher Report is a legitimate sports site with a mobile app, which makes their articles far more credible than anything from a pro wrestling site.

That article was dumb as shit saying Austin and Rock would get rejected like Reigns, the former got over because of their heel runs and if there's anything true about smarks is that they always love good heels.

The most common thing "smarks" agree on when it comes to improving Reigns is that he needs a heel run to find himself.

Carnby

To Reigns' credit, pretty much every big match he's had has been at least worthwhile, if not outright good - even great, as was the case with Brock, which was the most convincing, psychological, and well-sold "Hellacious beatdown followed by a mounting comeback" match in years.

Agreed! I'm not saying he's bad. He is very good. He just does not have IT, or what it takes to be the top guy.

Shane is different from Vince,Steph,HHH boosting their ego weekly because well it's a return and people missed him. Vince getting an ego boost from a well received Shane return or anything done right was bound to happen. That's a stupid argument.

Roman doesn't have "it" like the faces of raw past.

Kuroyume

Banned
I just want him to change his gimmick. I hate when he pumps his fist as if he's pumping a shotgun. The bullet proof vest also needs to go. I wasn't watching when the Shield was aroung, but from what I've seen that was a pretty lame gimmick for a stable.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just want him to change his gimmick. I hate when he pumps his fist as if he's pumping a shotgun. The bullet proof vest also needs to go. I wasn't watching when the Shield was aroung, but from what I've seen that was a pretty lame gimmick for a stable.

The Shields gimmick was having an awesome theme, almost never speaking, almost always winning, usually having incredibly compelling matches. Pretty much the perfect three person rookie stable.

Top Bottom