• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

B-tFnLTUIAA4_GQ.png

why is cliff compton

They should make punk ugly and Iman the bad

Penguin

The Flintstones/WWE special was...okay

I think the Scooby Doo one was better.

I guess The Flintstones' standard set-up doesn't work as well/naturally with merging in outside talent

Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki - G1 Climax Block A - (NJPW 2004/08/14)

It's a Nagata/Suzuki match, so guess what? It's pretty great. At this point Suzuki's in his first year of New Japan competition and Nagata defeated him with the demon armbar the previous November, now nine months later Suzuki has a chance for revenge - he can't win the G1 with just 6 points, but winning here will put him on par with the other eventual runners up in Block A (Shibata and Chono) as well as ruining Nagata's chances to go on to the finals and win the G1 for the second time in his career. This one starts out much as you'd expect: on the mat, but it's entirely obvious that neither man very much likes each other and tensions start to boil. Suzuki's brash and cocky and capitalises on Nagata's mistakes, controlling for much of the middle third, but he's ultimately unable to avoid Nagata's big offence and the finishing stretch of the match is very strike heavy, both men having taken a lot out of each other to the degree that any locked submission in the centre of the ring will finish it. Yeah, this was fun.

tsnrGs6.gif

Kaladin

The Flintstones/WWE special was...okay

I think the Scooby Doo one was better.

I guess The Flintstones' standard set-up doesn't work as well/naturally with merging in outside talent

I was turned off by the trailer because Fred's voice is wrong.....I know it can't be the original cast, but at least get someone who can sound close to the original.

Observer stuff

On the Punk lawsuit

At the end of the day, my thought is that this is not so much financial, because it will be next to impossible to prove that Brooks’ allegations against Amann cost him any money–since WWE never dropped him. The object is more to get Punk to settle and publicly apologize for what he said, or for WWE to get a public “win” over Punk because Punk bettered them badly in round one in the court of public opinion, and then waltzed over to the company they are most compared to and most paranoid about those comparisons with.

If he apologized for anything about the Amman story, the WWE could take it as a victory and throw into question everything he said about Paul Levesque, which is the real key to all this. Brooks painted Levesque as someone incompetent at his job, who couldn’t even remember basic dates of tours that anyone in wrestling would know without thinking. He also painted McMahon as an out-of-touch old man. Whether his stories were real or not, or exaggerated, since both of them are clearly public figures, them suing over those statements would both be difficult, time-consuming and in the end, viewed negatively.

On the AJ Twitter situation

One person familiar with the situation as it was going down said Mendez wrote what she did on her own, it wasn’t an angle and the company was completely blind sided by it. Stephanie was absolutely furious at being shown up and made to look bad by one of their own employees, but that seeing the big picture, Vince McMahon ordered Stephanie to respond in the way she did. The only thing the company could do under the circumstances was to diffuse the situation as quickly as possible, because stories about unequal treatment of women starting to get out are can’t wins, similar to the company’s quick attempts of late to quell charges about being racist to Latinos.

On the Lesnar situation

This is what we do know. Lesnar flew into Nashville and was there when the show started. There was a business disagreement between Lesnar and Vince McMahon, related to negotiations regarding Lesnar signing a new contract. Speculation that the negotiations included Lesnar wanting to do a UFC fight while under his next WWE contract were not part of this at all. It was only related to the offer and terms of the new contact itself.

The situation, which was not settled at press time, could be settled quickly and perhaps even easily but right now the two sides are at a key impasse related to the new deal and neither side wants to be the one to back down.

What that disagreement was over has been kept secret, but we were told it was all business and had nothing at all to do with current or future creative. The business dispute related to why he didn’t appear on the show, and the company was forced to change its scripting. Lesnar left the arena while the show was going on and flew home. There were reports that he flew on his private jet, but that’s incorrect. When Lesnar comes to WWE shows, the WWE provides him a private jet from his home and back to his home as one of the stipulations of his contract.

At Smackdown, Vince McMahon told people in the company there was an unresolved problem, but wouldn’t elaborate on what it was.

Lesnar was never booked on the 3/2 Raw in Newark, NJ. He currently has four dates left on his contract, which are the 3/9 Raw in Pittsburgh, the 3/23 Raw in Los Angeles, WrestleMania and the Raw the day after WrestleMania in San Jose. He is still advertised for all of those shows.

Those in the company believe Lesnar will be at all his remaining contracted dates, because not doing so would constitute a breach of contract.

Taven/Bennett in NJPW

Michael Bennett & Matt Taven are expected to get a major push shortly here. Hiroshi Tanahashi is a big supporter of Bennett. The impression is that they may get a tag team push but that Bennett and Maria would eventually get a big singles push. You’ll be able to tell by the booking, as when Bennett & Taven team and lose, if they split who loses the falls, then that says one thing, but if Taven is the one asked to lose, that will confirm it as Gedo comes from the school where the winner and loser of the fall in tag matches are done for a reason.

ROH TV deal

The company has been in preliminary talks with both AXS and Spike. I don’t know how serious either are, past the point that they, in fact, both have taken place. ROH made a pitch to AXS and I don’t know that anything happened from there, as it’s nothing anyone is talking about. My impression is AXS is happy with New Japan. AXS, when it was HD-Net, aired ROH from 2009 to 2011, when HD-Net opted not to renew the deal. With Spike, the sides are talking right now although it’s premature to say they are serious, since key people in both companies weren’t even aware of the talks, but we have since gotten confirmation that talks are taking place. The idea would be a Friday night show that would air about once per month, with Spike having a regular rotation of Bellator, Glory, Al Haymon’s boxing and pro wrestling. That would be a big coup for exposure, since Spike is in 83 percent of the country and Sinclair Broadcasting syndicated stations make up 37.5% of the country (ROH has a few non-Sinclair stations so they are in close to 40%).

Small update on Adam Cole

Adam Cole, out after shoulder surgery, is pushing for May to be back in the ring.

TNA talent being miserable

One of the reasons the frustration level is even above usual levels here is that the talent was together for the U.K. tour a few weeks ago and were talking to each other and realized that there are no house shows planned, and no PPV shows planned (past the taped ones that just took place that nobody actually buys and are only done to fulfill existing international television contracts) and since almost everyone except the few top guys are paid by appearance, there was a realization that almost everyone was going to earn substantially less in 2015. There’s also the recognition that all TNA is doing at this point is staving off dying as opposed to before, when, whether true or not, the idea was that they were at least trying to grow.

Fox318

One paragraph from the observer

While it is about looks for men to a degree, you will never see an unattractive woman with a bad genetic body, no matter how talented they are technically, in a WWE ring. Sara Amato, who trains the women in NXT, I would not call unattractive at all, yet she was deemed not attractive enough to be anything but be a trainer, even though she was a more talented wrestler than almost all on the roster. Melissa Anderson is probably the furthest thing from unattractive, yet she never did nor is she likely to ever get a WWE look and it was said to be because she didn’t have the right look. One woman who was cut by WWE, and ended up having a successful long career in TNA, said she was told when released by John Laurinaitis, even though she was doing well as a wrestler, that, “We’re looking for tens and you’re not that.” Others at the recruiting level were told that while WWE no longer would allow their performers to pose in Playboy, what they are mainly looking for is women physically attractive enough to do so.

Fuck this company and fuck Steph for thinking that she has any right to comment on equal rights for women.

Honestly this week's issue of the Observer is incredible. Meltzer doesn't directly say it but eviscerates Vince's decision step by step to go with Reigns over Bryan.

somedevil

One paragraph from the observer

Fuck this company and fuck Steph for thinking that she has any right to comment on equal rights for women.

You just realized that now? Plus they trying in nxt. None of the top divas are models but wrestlers. They still hire models but been at least hiring women who work the Indies.

Fox318

We knew this long ago when they did the whole diva search thing and it was all based on looks.

But to think that Steph even has the chutzpah to comment about that when she is in a position to change that for women.

As a general rule in WWE, and of course there are exceptions, the women are paid significantly less than the men at similar levels, and obviously when it comes to match time, that’s an indisputable point.

He said that NXT was an exception because so many male indies are willing to come in at any price but come on.

Fox318

You just realized that now? Plus they trying in nxt. None of the top divas are models but wrestlers. They still hire models but been at least hiring women who work the Indies.

I knew it was going to be bad but to think that the head of talent relations would say something like that to somebody.

Its fucking disgusting.

krae_man

Stephanie being furious about being called out is hilarious. Completely expected, but hilarious.

"Go womens rights! Wait, my company is even worse then the people Patricia Arquette was complaining about? How dare you point that out!"

somedevil

I knew it was going to be bad but to think that the head of talent relations would say something like that to somebody.

Its fucking disgusting.

Yes it is but he not in charge anymore. Its Triple H now. Plus TNA is not any better. Have you seen how Vince Russo wrote for Women when he was in charge. It was horrible.

Plus is shoot nation going to really debut soon?

Kaladin

Stephanie being furious about being called out is hilarious. Completely expected, but hilarious.

"Go womens rights! Wait, my company is even worse then the people Patricia Arquette was complaining about? How dare you point that out!"

Stephanie's response should have been: If you think we're bad, you should go to TNA where you would have to pick up a second job to support your family.

Showaddy

Jesus Christ...

But the biggest story on Fast Lane was the end of the Bryan story as the guy the fans willed to be the top guy and face of the company. It was a fight for a long time fans thought they could win, and they clearly lost, and more importantly, based on post-Fast Lane, they weren’t even that mad anymore. It was just acceptance.

They’ll still chant “Yes” all the time, not with the fervor they once did, but it’ll always be the new “Hiyo.” When he’s 50, he can still be used for easy heat for a new heel, he can come out, get his nostalgia chant, and lose just like Jim Duggan did.

Hopefully this Balor/Kendrick match can cheer me up...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Pretty funny anyone thought the AJ/Steph stuff was a work. When's the last time Steph allowed someone to look better than her in anyway?

Really, I’d rather somebody wrote a book from start-to-finish rather than readers who have no real understanding of book writing trying to force changes so the little sidekick who is supposed to be a bit player gets the girl and not the handsome lead who the whole book was built around.

IWC=
misery-movie.jpg

Fox318

Isn't that because wrestling is marketed more as entertainment?

When a character dies in a book people react more then if an underdog loses in the NBA playoffs.

When wrestling is booked as entertainment people are going to care about the stories and the outcomes. They see that as entertainment anything can be changed. When your favorite sports team loses you blame the athletes most of the time. In WWE you blame the writer because fan know that the wrestlers can't book a finish anymore. They can't go out there and have a vet call a match or a finish.

Part of the beauty of matches is that they can be improved to work with the crowd. Instead fans this year got what a 69 year old man thought was entertainment.

I'm not saying that Bryan had to win the rumble I just think that having an element of surprise or having an element of making the match matter is important. Nobody expected Benoit to win the rumble when he did and he did a fine job in his mania match.

On NXT people didn't know if Owens or Zayn was going to win. It made the match more interesting because you could believe the story they were telling. On the main roster people know enough to know that all that matters is your look with Vince. It's why the Lugers, Warriors, Reigns, and Sheamus's always got their push the way that they did.

JavyOO7

Sheamus ain't bad though. He's just booked like caca. Reigns ain't bad either. Just needs more singles matches under his belt. And maybe another year before he gets to sit on his much deserved throne. =p

Ithil

Isn't that because wrestling is marketed more as entertainment?

When a character dies in a book people react more then if an underdog loses in the NBA playoffs.

When wrestling is booked as entertainment people are going to care about the stories and the outcomes. They see that as entertainment anything can be changed. When your favorite sports team loses you blame the athletes most of the time. In WWE you blame the writer because fan know that the wrestlers can't book a finish anymore. They can't go out there and have a vet call a match or a finish.

Part of the beauty of matches is that they can be improved to work with the crowd. Instead fans this year got what a 69 year old man thought was entertainment.

I'm not saying that Bryan had to win the rumble I just think that having an element of surprise or having an element of making the match matter is important. Nobody expected Benoit to win the rumble when he did and he did a fine job in his mania match.

On NXT people didn't know if Owens or Zayn was going to win. It made the match more interesting because you could believe the story they were telling. On the main roster people know enough to know that all that matters is your look with Vince. It's why the Lugers, Warriors, Reigns, and Sheamus's always got their push the way that they did.

That's more about sticking to your planned story unless it's actively harming business, not doing half assed changes but keeping the outcome. The quote is out of context.

That's more about sticking to your planned story unless it's actively harming business, not doing half assed changes but keeping the outcome. The quote is out of context.
Ah but the circle jerk must be fed. People need out of context things to quote and say "I see no flaw in this, how about you interchangeable geek?"

I've come to terms with Bryan never being the guy, for various reasons, but it still fucking sucks that it will never come to be. Meltzer puts into words perfectly why that is, down to the WWE ignoring his mainstream appearances and how absolutely unbelievable that is. Like, there is really nothing that could ever happen that will make Bryan the guy in Vince's eyes, so he never will get that chance. "Depressing-ass" is putting it lightly for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wonder when they'll induct Hansen into WWE's HoF. He's familiar for inducting Inoki, he's either the most popular or second or third popular gaijin of all time, and all the old school guys think the world of him.

Would love to see him and Brody in on the same year but separate inductions.

I've come to terms with Bryan never being the guy, for various reasons, but it still fucking sucks that it will never come to be. Meltzer puts into words perfectly why that is, down to the WWE ignoring his mainstream appearances and how absolutely unbelievable that is. Like, there is really nothing that could ever happen that will make Bryan the guy in Vince's eyes, so he never will get that chance. "Depressing-ass" is putting it lightly for me.

Yep, how do you not make a big deal about a guy stopping a serial burglar singlehandedly? Fucking biggest bunch of bullshit I've seen them commit in a long time. What they've done to him has been disgusting. Vince had Cole berate and bury him on commentary for almost two years when he first started. He overcame that, overcame the losses, got over, and still gets fucked over because they like how Reigns looks.

Ultratech

Watching Lucha Underground right now....Pentagon Jr. loves him some violence.

Straight buried a guy, powerbombed him through a table off the top rope, then broke his arm. Ouch.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yep, how do you not make a big deal about a guy stopping a serial burglar singlehandedly? Fucking biggest bunch of bullshit I've seen them commit in a long time. .
I mean, Chris Masters ripped a tree out of the ground to rescue his mother from a burning building and didn't get a WWE contract.
Watching Lucha Underground right now....Pentagon Jr. loves him some violence.

Straight buried a guy, powerbombed him through a table off the top rope, then broke his arm. Ouch.

He was feeling on Jennifer Blake's breasts in a tag match I saw. Was pretty gross.

Botaaay please tell me you are going to this

Not related to this group, but Russo is doing a pro wrestling match on 3/15 in Tonbridge, Kent, U.K., for the IPW: UK promotion, teaming with Jimmy Havoc & Jonny Storm vs. Grado & Joey Fleisch & Eugene (Nick Dinsmore). It would his first match since the dying days of WCW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom