• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, how do you guys feel about Kotaku's yes or no system if you have a problem with me saying loved or hated in a non-review sense?

The only Kotaku content I consume are Laserfrog's videos. What a great shining beacon of entertainment he is. Still love that Kotaku gave him a job based on his whimsy and fun. I usually don't watch any gaming media, but I carve out some time and attention for "Leo Takes A Look" because A: he's one of us and B: it's genuinely enjoyable

Xater

Speaking of Nintendo exclusives, I have a feeling the new Zelda and Star Fox are going to kind of suck. Mostly because Miyamoto is heavily involved in them and Miyamoto still seems stuck in the Wii era of making sure every game has a fucking gimmick in it.

They just recently said you can play Star Fox without motion controls after all, so there might be hope!

Bloodborne will be good right guys?

right?

guys?

considering I seem to be the only person on earth who enjoyed Dark Souls 2 almost as much as Dark Souls 1, I guess i'll be happy
It'd break my goddamn heart if Bloodborne wasn't good. I don't see how it's possible, at least for me, considering the foundations it's built on.

Heroman

Banned
Speaking of Nintendo exclusives, I have a feeling the new Zelda and Star Fox are going to kind of suck. Mostly because Miyamoto is heavily involved in them and Miyamoto still seems stuck in the Wii era of making sure every game has a fucking gimmick in it.
Miyamoto has always been like that since the nes era some of the greatest games he made are from gimmick and gimmick aren't a bad thing .

Eh Zelda's always sucked since the 3d transition.

EDIT: AC Unity is the real shit though. It's very playable now and is fuckin' incredible.

AC really needs a year or two off.

People around here are just tired of it for better or worse. I don't blame them.

It still seems to be making bank with the masses though.

Sephzilla

They just recently said you can play Star Fox without motion controls after all, so there might be hope!

Thank fucking Christ.

Miyamoto has always been like that since the nes era some of the greatest games he made are from gimmick and gimmick aren't a bad thing .

What gimmick is in Mario 3 or Super Mario World?

AC really needs a year or two off.

AC needs a 3 year hiatus. It'll never happen though. I think every single yearly franchise would benefit from no longer being a yearly franchise.

What gimmick is in Mario 3 or Super Mario World?

Super Mario Bros. Costumes (Tail)
Super Mario World - Riding Yoshi.

I don't know if you can really consider those gimmicks though. You need to add something new and interesting to keep the franchise fresh and they were both positives.

Zach

Man, how do you guys feel about Kotaku's yes or no system if you have a problem with me saying loved or hated in a non-review sense?

It's fine. Like your thing is fine. I'm not very picky about, nor do I pay a tremendous amount of attention to, reviews. I'm just as likely to see a single message board post that makes me go "oh, I should give that game a shot." And I'm not typically dissuaded from playing games I'm attracted to on a superficial level. I dunno. It just makes me laugh. I have a friend like you. Either something is the greatest thing ever or it's an abomination. Haha...

Solomon Crowe looks like a leprechaun.

I was going to make a joke about the WCW Leprechaun, but thought better of it. >_>

Nintendo has been on fire. I just wish that the NST team would do something other than Mario vs DK stuff.

You and me both, I had my fill with the second one of those alone yet somehow they just keep sneaking out in slightly different ways like every year, I guess they're slow and steady sellers.
That and I find the whole franchise mashup concept completely squandered, it's basically another Mario spinoff slightly featuring DK himself for arcade throwback reasons.

Makes me wonder what NST could really do these days if given a chance.

Starfox will likely underwhelm in comparison to its SF64 peak, though even with gimmicks likely playing a part it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being the best post 64 entry into the series which really just highlights its decline.

Zelda I don't expect to suck but I'm not entirely convinced so far that BIG VAST WORLD is the way forward for a series that has problems filling its bigger maps like Wind Waker's Great Sea or Twilight Princess Hyrule with much of note.
I've enjoyed all the 3D titles so far so I'm expecting that trend to continue with me but yeah thus far this one has yet to really intrigue me, really need to see more of it because just trumpeting a big open world in an era of often bland and big open world games does little for me.

I am pushing my own system that uses retail prices to indicate the worth of a game.

The order is a $34.99 USD out of $59.99 USD. It's translatable via currency exchange and it's basically saying you should wait until this price to buy it.

You can adjust the high end MSRP to reflect the retail price of the game.

A $9.99 digital release could be $7.99 out of $9.99.

I think we should all take a moment and appreciate the greatness of Rusev, because after he succumbs to Appledough on Sunday he'll fade into oblivion.

rusev-raw-sep2-.jpg

You had a good run, man. And some badass entrance music.

I think we should all take a moment and appreciate the greatness of Rusev, because after he succumbs to Appledough on Sunday he'll fade into oblivion.

rusev-raw-sep2-.jpg

He's got another month until Mania.

The finish on Sunday won't be clean though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I am pushing my own system that uses retail prices to indicate the worth of a game.

The order is a $34.99 USD out of $59.99 USD. It's translatable via currency exchange and it's basically saying you should wait until this price to buy it.

You can adjust the high end MSRP to reflect the retail price of the game.

A $9.99 digital release could be $7.99 out of $9.99.

All I see coming out of that is stuff like Fallout 4 trying to charge 100 dollars.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rusev's definitely got another month of dominance. No worries.

Xater

None of it matters because Splatoon will revolutionize the games industry and have a perfect 100 metacritic.

That game is surprisingly fun to play, even with motion controls. You can of course play normally as well. Not sure though if it will work in a SP environment.

rusev-raw-sep2-.jpg

I don#t like Rusev so you won't see me crying.

Rusev will at least make it to Mania before getting the full works from Cena so I think we've still got a good month or so of Rusev goodness before the fall, maybe I'm just foolishly optimistic though.

Hey Sunny Mac and The Doctor get it, I think.

Sephzilla

rusev-raw-sep2-.jpg

Rusev is likely winning on Sunday in order to set up a Cena moment at WrestleMania.

Zelda I don't expect to suck but I'm not entirely convinced so far that BIG VAST WORLD is the way forward for a series that has problems filling its bigger maps like Wind Waker's Great Sea or Twilight Princess Hyrule with much of note.
I've enjoyed all the 3D titles so far so I'm expecting that trend to continue with me but yeah thus far this one has yet to really intrigue me, really need to see more of it because just trumpeting a big open world in an era of often bland and big open world games does little for me.

Everything they've shown (which is admittedly been limited) makes me worry that the Zelda franchise is still like 5 years behind the times. Huge Hyrule looked fucking barren and lifeless when they had that quick preview of it. I imagine there will be a ton of padded out fetch quests like in every open world game. They made a big deal about putting fucking waypoints on a goddamn minimap. They haven't said fuck all about the story but I have a feeling I know what it'll likely entail considering the Zelda franchise hasn't done anything remotely original with its storytelling since Majora's Mask. I know I'm a big mark for Dark Souls but I really wish the Zelda franchise would have taken more ideas from how Dark Souls approached it's semi-open world.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The only good thing about Unity is
the time warp
stuff. And I say that as a big French Revolution buff. The
time warp
instantly makes you go
'Man, I wish this was the setting instead.

Heroman

Banned
I'm fairly sure those are not gimmicks. I'd classify something like "needing to wiggle the controller just to do an extra jump" or "waggling a controller to do a simple sword swing" are.
Those are gimmick, a gimmick trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business. And on box of both world and 3 they have the suits and Yoshi on them to set them apart. Gimmick aren't bad.

Sephzilla

Those are gimmick, a gimmick trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business. And on box of both world and 3 they have the suits and Yoshi on them to set them apart. Gimmick aren't bad.

I think you've kind of confused gameplay gimmicks with marketing points.

At the very least, NES/SNES era Miyamoto made gimmicks that weren't intrusive. You could still totally play Mario 3 and Mario World like you could Mario 1 and you'd be pretty fine. And even with stuff like the suits/capes/Yoshi those things for the most part didn't break the normal Mario flow. Modern Miyamoto seems more about gimmicks that are intrusive and unavoidable.

I've been enjoying this gen. Sunset, KI and Titanfall have kept me satisfied on the console front, as have the media functions. Alien's gonna be the first big multiplat I grab since its cheap on xbone right now. Even Dead Rising 3 was pretty good (though it and many, many open world games are obsolete for me now after playing sunset.)

I'm primarily on pc nowadays with my buddies, though.

Whatevs, save_us_MKX

Xater

¡HarlequinPanic!;152765867 said:
I've been enjoying this gen. Sunset, KI and Titanfall have kept me satisfied on the console front, as have the media functions. Alien's gonna be the first big multiplat I grab since its cheap on xbone right now. Even Dead Rising 3 was pretty good (though it and many, many open world games are obsolete for me now after playing sunset.)

I'm primarily on pc nowadays with my buddies, though.

Whatevs, save_us_MKX

MKX was probably my second favorite thing I have played at Gamescom. The game is on my shit list though because of the pre-order character. Will probably get the Komplete Edition early next year with everything included for cheaper.

Heroman

Banned
I think you've kind of confused gameplay gimmicks with marketing points.

At the very least, NES/SNES era Miyamoto made gimmicks that weren't intrusive. You could still totally play Mario 3 and Mario World like you could Mario 1 and you'd be pretty fine. And even with stuff like the suits/capes/Yoshi those things for the most part didn't break the normal Mario flow. Modern Miyamoto seems more about gimmicks that are intrusive and unavoidable.
What are some if miyamoto mordern gimmicks?

Marvel

could never
As a super MK mark, I'll be buying all the DLC and hate myself for it. Yet I can't comprehend not having all klassic skins and karacters. That shit gets to me.

Ugh.

For me I'd add Witcher 3 to that list.

I hope it's good, but I can wait for that.

Batman AK better deliver too. I keep forgetting that game.

Sephzilla

What are miyamoto mordern gimmicks?

Needing to swing around Link's sword like a doofus in Skyward Sword when you could just map sword swings to a right analog stick and achieve the exact same end destination. Needing to use the Wii-U tablet in order to fucking aim an Arwing in Star Fox (though as others have mentioned this might be optional, thank Christ). Stupid annoying little shit like needing the tablet in order to advance in a handful of Mario 3D World games because you need to touch something in order to move a platform.

¡HarlequinPanic!;152766266 said:
Sorry seph but I think you gotta accept that's just how fighters are now, there's either DLC roster add-ons or iterations released every so often. TTT2 was some sort of extreme anomaly (though a very satisfying one).

I really wish TTT2 wasn't the exception. Netherrealm is really the worst when it comes to that shit though. With KI you can at least play the base game for free and have a few fighters to choose from. With MK's Super-Ultra-Duper-Edition shit you at least get a set amount of new shit. With Netherrealm you pay the $60 base game and then slightly overpriced values for every other fighter they make via DLC, and then they throw out a complete edition 9 months later.

Everything they've shown (which is admittedly been limited) makes me worry that the Zelda franchise is still like 5 years behind the times. Huge Hyrule looked fucking barren and lifeless when they had that quick preview of it. I imagine there will be a ton of padded out fetch quests like in every open world game. They made a big deal about putting fucking waypoints on a goddamn minimap. I know I'm a big mark for Dark Souls but I really wish the Zelda franchise would have taken more ideas from how Dark Souls approached it's semi-open world.
I know what you mean, taking the ever polarizing Skyward Sword for a moment I think the groundwork of its puzzle and task focused overworlds is the right direction for this series and by merging that with a touch Dark Souls like connected map could satisfy both the needs for exploration and prevent the lifeless open world conundrum.
Funnily enough replaying Majora's Mask right now through its 3DS version reminds me how it really strikes a good balance at overworld questing and a lack of truly empty space within it, it's actually got a great bluepoint to work with that the series should look back at and expand upon without limiting the dungeons.

Well wait and see I suppose, it doesn't help that Xenoblade and its upcoming sequel already tackled/look to tackle the big explorable world angle in a much more fitting way for its respective gameplay.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yes I did just that! I'm better equipped now, just killed
King of Rats and escaped the sewers

That's pretty much where you need to be. Enjoy the rest of the game!

They also unlocked all the chests that stay locked forcing the use of Companion apps, which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom