• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT2| Where TNA Careers Never Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.
WWE haven't handled Sting the way I would have wanted them too. Its kind of reminiscent of the invasion angle. I know HHH is trying though.

Just wish Sting would have been hanging in the rafters since Summer Slam, with all of us guessing why, and then hit the ring at Survivor Series.

jmdajr

Paige seems cool. As does Alicia. Could be all BS though.

Brie, Cameron, Nikki, Nattie. Might be all an act, but God bless the men that want to put up with them.

edit: Rosa seems friendly.

Hex

Banned
Brie and Brian or Nikki and John.....which comes off as more fake?

Mind you, I'm only a few episodes into this season, but Brie and Brian seem kind of real, and like they're an actual couple.....but Nikki and John....John seems detached and Nikki seems like a hanger on he keeps around.

Well Brie and Bryan are having unprotected sex =X
That is so unfair to the Bella brand.
That is as real as it gets!

Shiv47

WWE haven't handled Sting the way I would have wanted them too. Its kind of reminiscent of the invasion angle. I know HHH is trying though.

Just wish Sting would have been hanging in the rafters since Summer Slam, with all of us guessing why, and then hit the ring at Survivor Series.

It seems weird, even given them trying to repeat his mysterious silence act for this angle, that they wouldn't let him cut at least one promo. But having the basis of this be a match at Mania and nothing else, is probably the best angle they could take. Because why else would Sting show up, other than to be on the biggest stage in the business at least once in his career? No one cares about the invasion stuff anymore.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Paige seems like every other hyperactive 21-22 year old girl I know. Ain't nobody got time for that, sit here on this couch with me and watch Law & Order reruns. #dreamgirl

Something tells me WWE is afraid to let Stang cut a promo......he should have talked last night.

They're just doing, or rather attempting, a callback to the most popular version of his character which is '97 silent Crow String.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sting's most popular form is being silent and pointing at things. Why would you want him to cut a promo?

Be like Hogan coming back and calling Daniel Bryan a flea market champion. I mean, yes, I would want that, but it's not happening.

Hex

Banned
Sting's most popular form is being silent and pointing at things. Why would you want him to cut a promo?

That is not his post popular form, that is honestly what pissed me off.
I wanted him getting all WOOOO and all crazy excited in Hunter's face.
The Crow rip off bat thing was ok at the time, got played out then got embarrassing in TNA.
It should have been the Stinger.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
WrestleMania ► |OT| Look at the adjective, "►"

Dramatic-Slow-Motion-Clap.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lord forgive me, I bought two wrestling shirts

That is not his post popular form, that is honestly what pissed me off.
I wanted him getting all WOOOO and all crazy excited in Hunter's face.
The Crow rip off bat thing was ok at the time, got played out then got embarrassing in TNA.
It should have been the Stinger.

That IS his most popular forum. Why do you think he still wears black and white?

Xater

Paige seems cool. As does Alicia. Could be all BS though.

Brie, Cameron, Nikki, Nattie. Might be all an act, but God bless the men that want to put up with them.

edit: Rosa seems friendly.

Not to long ago on the Onserver they were talking about the Divas and what they are good at.

Bryan: What about Rosa?

Melter: well....um...she is really nice.

So there you go. She is indeed very nice if nothing else.

TUkF0fv.gif

The commentary did a great job of explaining the story for both the tag match and the street fight, to be fair, and I can see why Steve O's popular, dude's very energetic.

Good. I'm glad you weren't completely scratching your head there...

Really looking forward to checking this out, hopefully sometime this week - one thing I really loved about the Inspire show was how well paced everything was. The show built to the finish, as it should be, and nothing outstayed its welcome. You get too many indies these days trying to be like PWG, where it's just one crazy-ass match followed by another, but PWG gets away with it because their cards are literally chock full of a lot of the best wrestlers on the indies.

I didn't really think about it too much until your PWG comment, but I consider it kinda a point of pride that I think everybody on that first Inspire Pro show that you watched is basically a Texas or Inspire "regular." I don't think there was a single "big name" fly-in talent on that show. Sure, you know performers like Athena and Hoyt from the fact that they are out there in the world of wrestling, but they are very much Texas folks, and have been important to Inspire for a long time, if not from the very beginning.

And you still enjoyed the show. You even discovered talents you want to see more of. I love that. It's one of the things I've loved the most turning on to the UK scene stuff.

Seriously, it blows my mind how readily available indie wrestling from the world over is these days. I feel like we're on the cusp of another boom period for indie wrestling, although it'll be a bunch of younger promotions leading the charge this time.

I think we are. Not only do I think it'll be a lot of younger promotions, I think it'll ultimately be a lot more healthy and a lot more sustainable. Let's face it, the last indy boom was too localized. Basically, the market in a 350-mile radius around Philly was oversaturated, with almost an embarrassment of riches in terms of talent, and everywhere else was in a pretty sad state. Now, there's a lot more places that are viable. Florida (and not just NXT) Texas, St. Louis, places in Canada, Cali and the UK are all producing great shows, and developing their own talent pools.

And as you point out, they are all AVAILABLE. That's a huge thing.

I remember what it used to be like for a fan. You might see some ad in a newsletter, zine, or dirt sheet. Maybe it was for a promotion's tape, or maybe it was from a tape trader. Then, if you had the guts to order, you had to send off a money order or maybe some of your own tapes to some random-looking PO Box and wait and hope. Later, the RF Video catalog came out, if you somehow heard about it. That made it easier, but that selection was mostly either dubs of varying quality from Japan, ECW, or a select few Philly-area promotions.

I remember the thought process well: I was made aware of a tape somehow...maybe a post on a message board, maybe an ad, maybe a grainy, postage stamp-sized 10 second AOL video. Who is this guy and why does he have a comp tape? He looks like a Japanese luchador, and he's fighting another, really skinny luchador in what appears to be a GARAGE. He's from California, but he's not a Bassman guy, and I've never heard of him going to Philly like Modest and Daniels, so is he actually any good? Well, I guess I'll take a chance. If I hate the tape, at least I can tape Nitro over it...

A few weeks later, "Super Dragon Chronicles" arrived. A few years later, that tape would basically become PWG. And I very well could have never ordered that tape.

It's fantastic now that distance means absolutely nothing - it's almost all dependent on the quality of a show you can put out. People who want it will hunt it down.

Yep. And a big part of that is how easy it is to hunt things down.

You can see somebody's review of a show or match, see a tweet, maybe see a .gif, maybe see a YouTube video, free. No obligation, and it takes seconds. you can go to a central repository like SmartMark video and reliably order a video in seconds. If you get a VOD, you can watch it in minutes. You can order from promotions' websites. You can order from places like Pro Wrestling Ts. Where you are, what you like, ect. doesn't matter. You can find stuff.

Now, as a promotion, you basically just have to do a good job being a promotion. Can you put on good shows? Can you put on these shows without going broke? Can you do it consistently? Can you find and build local talent so you aren't reliant on flying people in all the time? Can you actually PROMOTE your shows so people know they are there to either fill a seat or buy your video? If you can do those things, you really have a shot. You will not make a ton of money, but you have a shot of surviving and eventually establishing something. And if you can actually do something high quality that actually raises the bar in some way, you might get more attention than you ever thought possible.

It's a real cool time to be a fan of wrestling alternatives.

MC Safety

When did reality TV stop being real?

After people found that filming real people in real situations was kind of boring.

Look at the first Real World. It wasn't very exciting because the producers didn't have a good handle on manipulating people and situations to create drama.

Nekofrog

Banned
Anyone else worried about Sting? Dude looked gassed after a light 10 second brawl, most of which he spent on the ground taking hits.

And HHH isn't much better when he's not going for lean instead of mass.

Toki767

Anyone else worried about Sting? Dude looked gassed after a light 10 second brawl, most of which he spent on the ground taking hits.

And HHH isn't much better when he's not going for lean instead of mass.

You can replace Sting with Reigns and HHH with Lesnar and you'd probably have a similarly true statement.

Potentially worse, WM 29 is the only WM I have not bothered to collect on dvd/blu-ray.... and I have still purchased many other Mania's which i personally didn't care for or like that much (re: 23, 24, 25, 26 and 27).
29 was the combo breaker for me too. I got 27 and 28 because I was there but after being at 29 I just didn't give a fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom