• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal judge grants stay on Trump ban for people who landed in U.S. with valid visas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I too am very confused why a bunch of geriatric jurists aren't physically storming the White House.

watershed

Banned
......NOTHING about what is going on right now is how it is "supposed to work"
You should know how the supreme court functions before you question why it isn't doing anything. The supreme court can't invent new powers for itself.

I agree this is terrible, but the legal process is working in regards to an EO being issued, a lawsuit follows, a temporary stay is issued.

Machina

Banned
Then what's your point?

Your SCOTUS have the power of their voices and they aren't saying shit? I thought the entire point of SCOTUS was to ensure the sanctity of the constitution.

Article 1 and article 14. He's already breached both and he's the fucking POTUS. Take a stand, whether it's a comment to the media or otherwise.

PeterGAF

Banned
OK... Why do we need Congress in this?

If the EO is ruled unconstitutional, it's over.

Did we need Congress for gay marriage, for abortion?
Sure if you want to wait years for this I suppose. Do you know how long people fought for gay marriage? Shit doesn't happen over night.

KHarvey16

Your SCOTUS have the power of their voices and they aren't saying shit? I thought the entire point of SCOTUS was to ensure the sanctity of the constitution.

Article 1 and article 15. He's already breached both and he's the fucking POTUS. Take a stand, whether it's a comment to the media or otherwise.

That isn't their job. Justices making statements to the media wouldn't do us any good at all.

This is going to happen overnight. It literally did.
It didn't. This simply put a block on it. It hasn't been revoked. Get ready for the fight from the other side.
The block itself only pertains to people in transit or already at the airport.

Article 1 and article 14. He's already breached both and he's the fucking POTUS. Take a stand, whether it's a comment to the media or otherwise.
They need a case brought forth. Which eventually will happen. Why is this so hard to understand?

faisal233

You don't think it's going to be challenged? I doubt this is over.
Of course it's going to be fought in court. That's where we need the win. The EO is already stayed (I understand it isn't being complied with by some), court win is the best thing that can happen at this point.

Congress isn't going to do shit.

BTW if this actually happens it's honestly time for people in the US to start thinking exit strategy and by people I mean all nonwhites and anyone vocally opposed to the government (elected officials, leaders in the community etc).

I've been thinking about this same thing. The people who were in Germany before it got taken over by the Nazis must also have thought "come on it's never going to get that bad". The few that escaped before were really lucky. Hopefully it doesn't come to that here.

PeterGAF

Banned
But the premise being, than it cannot be back in effect, until overruled. In premise...
And the ban hasn't been overruled yet. There is simply a stay for those who have been detained (unless I'm mistaken).

This is far from over. And it's important that we all know how long of a process this can be so we know that we're in it for the long haul.

Machina

Banned
They need a case brought forth. Which eventually will happen. Why is this so hard to understand?

Hurry up. We have innocent people literally stranded in airports indefinitely because your POTUS is a piece of shit. They couldn't give a toss about your "processes" when they're sleeping on floors in the airport. Trump certainly didn't when he signed the EO.

faisal233

And the ban hasn't been overruled yet. There is simply a stay for those who have been detained (unless I'm mistaken).

This is far from over. And it's important that we all know how long of a process this can be so we know that we're in it for the long haul.
Yes, everything you say is true. We should prepare for a long haul fight on everything. That's why I started donating to the ACLU in Nov. On this issue, Congress might condemn but they won't take action. Yes we should put every ounce of pressure on Congress that we can muster, but on this issue, victory lies in court.

Hurry up. We have innocent people literally stranded in airports indefinitely because your POTUS is a piece of shit. They couldn't give a toss about your "processes" when they're sleeping on floors in the airport. Trump certainly didn't when he signed the EO.
Ok, I done talking to you. Save your breath for the people that deserve it.

It's not the ones being stranded in airports that I worry about. That sucks, and I'm sorry for it, but I have faith they will get out.

It's the ones being sent back to their countries (where there is a legitimate fear of death the moment they step off the plane) or signing papers to give up their long-term statuses. That is not a "They're sleeping on floors" problem. That is ruining, or costing, lives.

Machina

Banned
It's not the ones being stranded in airports that I worry about. That sucks, and I'm sorry for it, but I have faith they will get out.

It's the ones being sent back to their countries (where there is a legitimate fear of death the moment they step off the plane) or signing papers to give up their long-term statuses. That is not a "They're sleeping on floors" problem. That is ruining, or costing, lives.

Even better reasons to get your legal system off their asses and actually standing for what they're supposed to stand for. Promptly.

Even better reasons to get your legal system off their asses and actually standing for what they're supposed to stand for. Promptly.

It is not easy to get a judge to hear anything on a Saturday. They're doing everything they can from a legal system standpoint right now.

Judges cannot act on their own.

donated to the aclu. fuck this dumb motherfucker. i hope a silver lining in all of this is that it spurs more people into action of some kind. i've opposed trump to a high degree from the beginning and of course voted against him but this is the first time ive ever donated significant money to something like this. i am so fucking disgusted by not only this but all of the shit he has already done in his short time in office.

on the other hand, i am extremely proud that there are so many people fighting back. i have seen a lot of anti-american sentiment, and it is deserved for trump and his piece of shit cronies, but understand that the majority of our country does NOT feel this way. there are tens of millions of people willing to fight back. i trust that one day we will have a leader back in office who isn't a complete fucking embarrassment

It is not easy to get a judge to hear anything on a Saturday. They're doing everything they can from a legal system standpoint right now.

Judges cannot act on their own.
Don't bother. They should just snap their fingers and make all the bad things in the world go away. He's being purposely obtuse to what everyone is saying.

PeterGAF

Banned
Yes, everything you say is true. We should prepare for a long haul fight on everything. That's why I started donating to the ACLU in Nov. On this issue, Congress might condemn but they won't take action. Yes we should put every ounce of pressure on Congress that we can't muster, but on this issue, victory lies in court.
I don't disagree with you. Congress likely won't do anything. But it would be great if they would. The courts can take a lot of time to sort things out. Congress could potentially shut it down a lot faster than the Supreme Court could if they would actually get to work on it. If we want the Supreme Court to see this case that will take a long time. Unfortunately some people here (not directed at you specifically) don't understand this.

The legal system isn't "on its ass." The exact process that's has to happen is happening. The system of stays, court hearings and appeals takes time. We saw today what happened to Trump's people with this stay being granted, they didn't even have a chance at fighting the request because they were so disorganized and inept. We don't want that happening to the right side just because we're in a rush.
If the executive order is unconstitutional can he be impeached for that?
Nah.

He could be impeached though if he continues to try to enforce it against SCOTUS' ruling.

I don't disagree with you. Congress likely won't do anything. But it would be great if they could. The courts can take a lot of time to sort things out. Congress could potentially shut it down a lot faster than the Supreme Court could if they would actually get to work on it. If we want the Supreme Court to see this case that will take a long time. Unfortunately some people here (not directed at you specifically) don't understand this.

Sadly it won't happen. Most of the Republicans in congress are every bit as racist, xenophobic, and all the other bad stuff Trump and his cohorts are. The only difference is they don't even have the courage (or stupidity) to be so obvious about it like Trump.

There's already a federal stay, which is generally how things work until cases go up to the Supreme Court.

People are just not obeying that order. Why do you assume it would be any different if we subverted all the protections that keep the SCOTUS from making reactionary decisions and had them convene tonight?

Being an aggressive ass about it does not actually hurry it along.

Machina

Banned
The legal system isn't "on its ass." The exact process that's has to happen is happening. The system of stays, court hearings and appeals takes time. We saw today what happened to Trump's people with this stay being granted, they didn't even have a chance at fighting the request because they were so disorganized and inept. We don't want that happening to the right side just because we're in a rush.

Nah.

He could be impeached though if he continues to try to enforce it against SCOTUS' ruling.

I understand what you're saying but time isn't really on our side. The longer he is in there and this shit goes on, the worse it'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom