• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal judge grants stay on Trump ban for people who landed in U.S. with valid visas

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/28/us/syrian-family-trump-travel-ban/index.html

Christian Family turned away. They had visas too.

But after a flight from Beirut to Doha, Qatar, and then to Philadelphia on Saturday, the two families were told to get on a flight back to Doha. It was because President Donald Trump had just signed an executive order denying citizens from seven countries, including Syria, entry into the United States.

According to the Assalis, their family members do not speak English very well and were told by authorities they could either be detained and have their visas taken away, or they could take the first flight back to Doha.

Frightened and facing a language barrier, the six family members chose the second option. Sarmad Assali told CNN she wished she had been able to speak with them, since she would have told them to stay until she could arrive with her attorney.

The assholes at the airport took advantage of their language issue and scared them into leaving. They probably assumed they were Muslim because they didn't speak English well enough to explain their background.

This is because Trump dropped this order without any contingency plans discussed before hand with the DHS or FAA.

And these poor folks didn't have to leave because the Federal Judge just blocked Trump's order.

Sigh.....knew things weren't over. Maybe further protest and backlash will help change things. That sparked the EO being on hold in most places via the protests helping lawyers get funding to halt the EO. Maybe it can help push congress toward taking action?

The Republicans that are sane must not like all the toxic backlash and utter hatred a large chunk of the world has toward them currently.

"Do we still have the votes to screw over poor people and cut the top marginal rate, Mitch?"
"We sure do, Paul."
"Full speed ahead."

No, CBP is going rogue and still detaining and deporting some of the people. Some reports claim even that they pressure detainees into signing away their status as long term/green card resident.

What is this process of 'signing away' one's long term resident status?

In some locations, the court order is being ignored.

No, CBP is going rogue and still detaining and deporting some of the people. Some reports claim even that they pressure detainees into signing away their status as long term/green card resident.
Really? Fuck. My cousin is a refugee lawyer I hope she is fighting this
Same! It was pretty euphoric right then. Lot of hard work ahead, though.
It's gonna be tough but I'm amazed how fast we get people out. I had no plans but I ended up at the courthouse

Mortemis

Banned
Man, I was really happy hearing this news, but now there's places denying to follow the court order and some are pressuring people into signing away their residency?

This is fucking sickening.

antonz

Shit is reaching levels of insanity we could only imagine before.
C3UR-haVUAANVo5.jpg

With a statement like that, are these CBP agents hoping for pardons then?

More likely they just don't give a shit and don't expect anything to happen to them.

This was entirely by design. Calamity Bannon is an agent of chaos.
Occam's razor says they're just incompetent.

My guess is they kept this super close to their chest because of all of the draft leaks of other EOs that have gotten out (CIA Black Sites, Sanctions on Russia, etc) and yet again didn't think through how things would actually play out.

Trump voters didn't want people with experience in government to run things - well, that's sure as hell what it looks like we've got.

Mii

Banned
Are there any federal enforcement functions that don't report to the executive? I can't think of any.

I don't think there is any precedent of state enforcement having any standing to overstep federal enforcement either.

Can state enforcement act on behalf of the federal judiciary? The judiciary needs teeth, fast.

Hale-XF11

I swear to fucking god if my wife is refused entry back into the states in two weeks, I'm going to raise all holy hell on this earth.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
These reports are very bad, but it's much more likely this is the result of a complete clusterfuck of a policy being instituted overnight and it being repealed at almost midnight on a Saturday. These are customs officials probably being completely left out in the wind by their supervisors and frantically calling people in their office trying to figure out what they're supposed to do.

These reports are very bad, but it's much more likely this is the result of a complete clusterfuck of a policy being instituted overnight and it being repealed at almost midnight on a Saturday. These are customs officials probably being completely left out in the wind by their supervisors and frantically calling people in their office trying to figure out what they're supposed to do.

If people are beimg coerced into signing away their rights, its far more sinister. No matter what happened a court ruling trumps any other order they received.

All of this makes me worry about what happens when Trump has to leave office in four or eight years. It feels like that might not be very peaceful.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
If people are beimg coerced into signing away their rights, its far more sinister.

Those reports were around all day and are obviously terrible.

I'm speaking specifically about at LAX where the customs agents are not speaking to the congresswomen. I can only imagine the low level nightshift workers in there freaking out with no backup and nobody answering their calls. These people showed up to work today with all this bullshit suddenly thrown on them and then revoked suddenly. Meanwhile, Trump is probably asleep or some shit.

That doesn't change the fact that they're violating a federal court order, and the marshalls (I think, or whoever it's supposed to be), should be marching in there and placing them under arrest if they refuse to comply.

I'm just saying it's more likely a symptom of the absolute bureaucratic fuckjob this all was rather than that they've got Trump on the phone in the back office telling them to defy the order.

UberTag

I-407 forms don't just materialize out of thin air as a result of a clusterfuck miscommunication on how to interpret the original EO or Judge Donnelly's stay.

If they're being forced on green card holders, there is clear intent being directed to strip their rights away. I can't see any other way to interpret this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom