• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feral child raised by monkeys found in India, brought into civilization (video/news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indian news video of her eating food

US News video

‘Girl Mowgli' found in UP forest walks on fours, screeches to talk, was raised by monkeys
She is possibly eight, prefers to walk on all fours, and screeches to express herself — much like the monkeys that raised her in Uttar Pradesh's Katarniyaghat wildlife sanctuary until she was ”rescued".

At the district hospital in Bahraich, where she is learning to be human, the child is lovingly called the ”girl Mowgli" — after the much-adored, wolf-raised protagonist of Rudyard Kipling's iconic children's tale The Jungle Book.

She was first spotted by villagers foraging in the forests of the sanctuary's Motipur range in January.

The child was naked with a mop of matted hair, tanned by exposure to the elements, and claw-like nails. She was with a troop of monkeys; and was at ease with her wild family.

The locals informed police about the unusual sighting and a team brought her to civilization.

But the rescue was not easy as the monkeys put up a stiff resistance.

The girl was scared of humans and screamed at anyone approaching her.

”She had wounds on her body. Our priority is to give her proper medical care and look for her parents," additional superintendent of police Dinesh Tripathi said.

Two months at the Bahraich hospital has helped the girl overcome her fears. A little, of course.

”She was unable to communicate or understood any language. She has spent many years with animals and, so, behaved like them," said chief medical superintendent DK Singh.

”Now she understands signals and is able to identify the ward boy, nurse and other medical staff. It seems the girl had been abandoned in the forest area at an early age."
Edit: possibly fake news
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...gle-was-not-living-with-monkeys-officials-say

Most involved with the story say she was abandoned in the forest, not really living the monkeys or raised by her.
But far from being raised by animals in the Katarniya Ghat forest range, the girl, who doctors believe has mental and physical disabilities, was likely to have been recently abandoned in the wilderness by her carers, the district chief forestry officer said.

JP Singh said the girl was actually found on a roadside near the forest, not deep in the wilderness. And though there were monkeys in her vicinity, his rangers ”never found this girl living with monkeys", he said.

”I think the family members of this girl had been aware that she is not able to speak, and they may have abandoned her near the forest road," he said. ”If she was living with monkeys it would have been for a few days only, not for a long time.

”It is clear from first time view, if you see the girl, that she is only eight or nine years old, but her facial expressions show that she is disabled, not only mentally but also physically," he said.

The forest is closely monitored by rangers and CCTV, and it was unlikely she could have survived in the wilderness for long without being spotted, he added.

The chief medical officer of the hospital in Bahraich, where the girl has been receiving treatment since she was found in January, said it was difficult to ”say exactly when she was abandoned"

this is fake news.

the girl was actually abandoned very recently because she is mentally handicapped, and she didn't really live with monkeys.

zeemumu

this is fake news.

the girl was actually abandoned very recently because she is mentally handicapped, and she didn't really live with monkeys.

I guess you'll just have to

Put your faith in what you must believe in

I saw a similar story of someone raised by dogs in an abandoned apartment complex

image.php

Condom

Those comments...

and if this is fake news then this is even more fucked up

I think I'm going to bed now

A claim like this requires a source.

i'm on my phone about to fall asleep, couldn't really be arsed.

there was a correction story to this going around which i think is more believable, i read a finnish version but i'm sure you can find it in english.

zeemumu

Do you think the parents abandoned her in the forest due to the mental handicap? Do people still do that? I hope not

Did you never see the video of the fake monkey with built in camera that was placed into a colony of monkeys? One of them accidentally broke it and the colony mourned its "death".

I saw one where they put a mirror in the wild and the gorillas tried to charge it thinking it was another gorilla while other apes actually set up a line to use the mirror for grooming purposes.

Violet_0

Banned
the one actual case of a feral child I know about is a girl from Russia (iirc) who lived in the dog kennel because her family was disfunctional - they eventually started feeding together with the dogs. After some time a neighbor finally called the police and they rescued her. I think she was even interviewed for the TV program (after years in a mental institution)

this a little sad and also pretty funny

Murkas

What a world we live in. We have to source proof that a lie on the internet is a lie.

Yep, was facepalming pretty hard. We're so far gone people in this thread are asking for source on the much more believable and less batshit crazy version.

Asbel

Yep, was facepalming pretty hard. We're so far gone people in this thread are asking for source on the much more believable and less batshit crazy version.
Ehh.. this comment discourages people from asking for sources. Better to be skeptical and ask for source no matter how believable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom