• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEZ | Spreadsheet Version OT |

Zomba13

So reading about some guy that decompiled stuff in the PC version and found some secrets I decided to boot up my 360 version (fully complete) to give it a go and see if that stuff works and the update has corrupted my save... yay...

I knew there was a problem with the patch but remember something about only affecting 1% or something and thought it'd be safe.

OH well. I know this is the PC thread and I bet this sort of thing won't happen to this version (because of steam letting games be patched and not charging a stupid amount) but this is the active Fez thread at the moment so I thought I'd whine here.

I have no desire to play through the game again on 360 and no desire to buy it again on PC.
Fantastic game though, looks amazing, great OST and mind blowing puzzles.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I knew there was a problem with the patch but remember something about only affecting 1% or something and thought it'd be safe.

That was an attempt to make not paying for another patch seem less offensive; it affected more than 1%.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Each hand
hits 12 at different times. One is every minute. One is every hour. One is every day. And the last is every week.

lol. That's awesome, and fucked up. So the guys here that have 100 % have
fooled with the computer's time & date settings then?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
lol. That's awesome, and fucked up. So the guys here that have 100 % have
fooled with the computer's time & date settings then?

Yup.
You don't even have to save and quit, just alt tab, change the clock, alt tab back, check if it's right, repeat till done

Ledsen

FINISHED! Max percent. All in all very cool game. Found most stuff by myself. Deciphered the alphabet, bruteforced half the number system through a particular puzzle
(and boy did I feel silly when I realized the logic behind it, lol)
These are the ones I cheated on:

- Metatron - LOL
- Black Monolith - LOL again.
- Throne room - I should've solved this one myself :(
- Clock room - lost my patience with this one.
- The owls - I wouldn't have thought to talk to the owls in a million years
- The telescope - well, I actually found and photographed all the constellations, and I tried to enter them in order, which is the correct solution... but as it turns out I had my photos in the wrong order so the code didn't work :( Felt stupid to have to look this one up since I actually had found the solution.
- Flying - as far as I know this isn't even findable in-game... very useful, although I didn't use on rooms I hadn't visited at least once.

I'm super proud of finding the
binary code heart cube
by myself. The funniest thing I did was find out that I had completely missed two areas
(windmill and gameboy land)
until ng+. I somehow never
went to the top of the lighthouse
even though the door is there in plain sight.

So a question to the people who found everything: which puzzles did you cheat on?

Chris R

"Beat" the game, so onto New Game + I guess. No idea how much more I'll be able to figure out before I get stuck though :( Need to keep a pen and paper near the computer next time I play though to try to write stuff down.

The Deal With It stuff was cool lol

diffusionx

Gold Member
just got the kill screen (WTF) but going through some parts I feel like I have hit a wall. I can't really figure out the numbers or the alphabet. I have like 27 cubes and 8 anti-cubes and 3 artifacts right now. UGH

XaosWolf

Worked out the number system just now! (I'm not even playing, just have screens of a certain area)

After working out the Alphabet and tetrominos, feels good man.
Oh and the Telescope Room secret is awesome. =D

Only thing I've cheated on (I was looking for hints, but someone just posted the answer anyways) is the security question.

Can't wait to get back to it.

What a buggy piece of shit. Had to edit the config file to even get it to launch. Now it just constantly is pressing left. No controller errors or anything with every other game, but as soon as I fire up Fez it is constantly holding to the left. Resting and calibrating the controller does nothing, turning the controller off does nothing. Great fucking game, way to release a PC port with the quality and support of 1999.

I don't have time for this shit anymore. If I have to trouble shoot a game for an hour before I even get to play one second of it, I am done with it. Fucking shame, I actually wanted to play this game but it looks like it won't happen. Perhaps a few dozen more patches and it will be playable.

Chris R

31 and 7/8ths done with the cubes, 15 anticubes, all treasure maps and 3 artifacts, but I think I'm "stuck" until I can figure out what I need to do with a few rooms and/or figure out a few of the other systems in the game.

And I have a question for someone who played the game on PC using only a KB (and completed most of it...)

How does the game make the left/right solutions for the U blocks know to you since a keyboard can't rumble...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
31 and 7/8ths done with the cubes, 15 anticubes, all treasure maps and 3 artifacts, but I think I'm "stuck" until I can figure out what I need to do with a few rooms and/or figure out a few of the other systems in the game.

And I have a question for someone who played the game on PC using only a KB (and completed most of it...)

How does the game make the left/right solutions for the U blocks know to you since a keyboard can't rumble...

It makes a buzzing noise pattern near the U block you follow instead.

Chris R

It makes a buzzing noise pattern near the U block you follow instead.

Glad I have a controller then. I often game
with no audio

edit: Numbers figured out, but only due to brute force :( But of course after I figure it out I
went back to the class room and saw that I should have figured it out much sooner since the chalkboard had 1 2 and 3 on there showing you how to solve the tetris-like puzzles but I had that figured out hours earlier :( Just a few things left now...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ibNdZpOMH8Ewc.png

I'll admit I cheated on the alphabet and on the last heart piece :(

Amazing game, wish there was even more of it! Can't wait to see what Fish comes up with next time.

So what is everyone's approach to playing this? I'm not actively trying to figure out rooms yet, I'm just going through and trying to open the map up as much as possible.

I feel like I'm playing it wrong since if a room doesn't show up as gold on the map, I don't stress too much. I figured out one 'secret'
the classroom in the city with the neon lights.
. But that's it.

Are most people looking things up? I just don't see how it's possible to figure some of this stuff out without looking it up. Are there enough hints scattered throughout?

Also, I'd love for there to be a portable (3DS specifically) version of this...

Easy_G

So what is everyone's approach to playing this? I'm not actively trying to figure out rooms yet, I'm just going through and trying to open the map up as much as possible.

I feel like I'm playing it wrong since if a room doesn't show up as gold on the map, I don't stress too much. I figured out one 'secret'
. But that's it.

Are most people looking things up? I just don't see how it's possible to figure some of this stuff out without looking it up. Are there enough hints scattered throughout?

I'm sort of splitting the difference. Just opening the map and figuring out whatever secrets I can. I haven't once gone back to the door room yet after collecting cubes. I have no idea what the best way to play is.

I'm sort of splitting the difference. Just opening the map and figuring out whatever secrets I can. I haven't once gone back to the door room yet after collecting cubes. I have no idea what the best way to play is.

You mean the room that has doors unlock after finding a certain number of cubes?

Ledsen

. But that's it.

Best way to play is probably to take pictures of everything that looks like it could have some meaning, because backtracking is a bit of a pain. Also yes, you can figure out almost everything without a guide, and people in this thread. Personally I looked up 3-4 things but did everything else on my own.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Best way to play is probably to take pictures of everything that looks like it could have some meaning, because backtracking is a bit of a pain. Also yes, you can figure out almost everything without a guide, and people in this thread. Personally I looked up 3-4 things but did everything else on my own.

Yes! This, and taking notes is essential. Screenshot every room you don't know what the hell you're doing in. In due time, it will make sense.
Some rooms are connected, in the way that one room will give you some clue on what to do in a totally different room.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Even though it wouldn't take advantage of the 3D part as making the game 3D would actually ruin it. Though I guess the few actually 3D parts being 3D would be pretty cool. Maybe the foreground would be one plane and the sky/background would be distant. Then all the cubes and other actually 3D objects could be 3D.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Even though it wouldn't take advantage of the 3D part as making the game 3D would actually ruin it. Though I guess the few actually 3D parts being 3D would be pretty cool. Maybe the foreground would be one plane and the sky/background would be distant. Then all the cubes and other actually 3D objects could be 3D.

I think Fish pretty much dismissed FEZ being ported to 3DS (and Wii U) in a reddit ama. He didn't think the game would gain from 3D, as it is mostly in 2D anyway iirc, and there was also the inevitable fish-being-fish argument: "because of the disgusting way Nintendo used to treat indies"...

Interesting. I'll give that a shot. I'm playing with a 360 controller on my TV which is in a separate room from my computer. Is there a way to map a button to take a screen shot on the controller?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. I'll give that a shot. I'm playing with a 360 controller on my TV which is in a separate room from my computer. Is there a way to map a button to take a screen shot on the controller?

Just download joytokey and map F12 to any button you like

edit: assuming you're using steam version, that is, otherwise pr.screen of course..

Ledsen

I don't think you can print screen in this game. You just get a shot of the pause menu. Maybe if you use an external program like FRAPS (or Steam?).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't think you can print screen in this game. You just get a shot of the pause menu. Maybe if you use an external program like FRAPS (or Steam?).
I run it in Windows under Parallels on OS X. I have access to OS X's super convenient screenshot hotkeys.

Chris R

I just broke out a couple of pages of graphing paper I had and took notes on that. Still stuck on a few things so I'll bang my head against them later tonight to see if I can't get them fully figured out. Still haven't looked up any help yet though :D

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I only got two cubes from that puzzle and still managed to get 32 anti-cubes in total.

@_@

Sorry I missed this, but how is this possible? Does this mean I'm missing something else then?? :)

Easy_G

So am I an idiot, or did anyone else not realize there was an inventory in this game? I just now learned, after reaching the end game, that Tab opens up an inventory. I kept collecting maps not knowing what the hell to do with them.

The keyboard controls could not be stranger. Enter to pause. Esc for map. IJKL to look around. I should start pressing all the keys to see what else I'm missing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've got to the part right after the what I think is 2nd to last door, where it's
night/raining and it's city environment. I see the big glowing owl sign and all those QR-code looking segments thrown around this environment, one looking like a puzzle with missing pieces. When I enter some of the rooms here I see more seemingly clues for these QR codes arrangements or whatnot.
My question is, do I have at this point any chance of deciphering any of this (or need to do it), or do I have to complete the game first and then come back to this stuff.

Ledsen

I've got to the part right after the what I think is 2nd to last door, where it's
night/raining and it's city environment. I see the big glowing owl sign and all those QR-code looking segments thrown around this environment, one looking like a puzzle with missing pieces. When I enter some of the rooms here I see more seemingly clues for these QR codes arrangements or whatnot.
My question is, do I have at this point any chance of deciphering any of this (or need to do it), or do I have to complete the game first and then come back to this stuff.

Not complete, just a bit further. You'll know if you pay attention.

The Hermit

This game is pretty awesome so far... I have 22 cubes and 8
anticubes

The only time I had to look up for something is when I reallized RT and LT meant left and right trigger and wanted to know the equivalent in the keyboard. That lazyness made me a bit sad actually :/

The Hermit

I just had an epiphany! I was in the shitter and this incredible though crossed my mind
-about the alphabet-
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

i haven't even tested, but it has to be, right?!!

Esit:sorry about the double post, didn't realized i was the last poster before...

protonion

Is there a comprehensive walkthrough for the game?
A one that covers everything and tells you what to pay attention to as you make your way through it. Puzzle logic and everything.

I checked some but they all seem very basic.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Welp XBLA patch coming soon. Of course Phil Fish has to try to steal the spotlight on this most American of holidays, instead of announcing on Canada Day, ugh.
LLMXmqe.png

wetflame

Pizza Dog
How do updates for this work if you buy it through GOG? Do they notify you when they're available? I haven't bought through them before. Thinking of picking up the PC version now it's on sale.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I know Polytron managed to support some Integrated Graphics chips. Does anyone here play this with an Intel GMA 4500MHD? Just to check whether it's actually playable.

RedSwirl

Is there any reason to get this on the Steam sale if I already own the 360 version and got something like 203% (if I recall)?

One of the main reasons I'm even thinking about it is because the Xbox One not being BC and thus not playing XBLA games has actually convinced me to rebuy those games on Steam so I can keep playing them on future computers. Another reason is usual PC advantages like scalable resolution and frame rate.

I'm hearing however that the PC version is actually still locked at 720p.

Coconut

Banned
Is there any reason to get this on the Steam sale if I already own the 360 version and got something like 203% (if I recall)?

One of the main reasons I'm even thinking about it is because the Xbox One not being BC and thus not playing XBLA games has actually convinced me to rebuy those games on Steam so I can keep playing them on future computers. Another reason is usual PC advantages like scalable resolution and frame rate.

I'm hearing however that the PC version is actually still locked at 720p.

Meh, the frame rate still drops every do often and there isn't anything new added to the PC version content wise.

Top Bottom