• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEZ | Spreadsheet Version OT |

Ce-Lin

so Maldo's fix no longer works with the official upgrade 1.05, at least on my end, I hope they paid him good money for the fix. Also CPU usage is reduced now, not 1.03 levels but lower than 1.04... hitching is less apparent also.

Tayaya

Just finished getting everything in this one last night. Had to cheat on a couple of the puzzles unfortunately (the word cube one, and the monolith), but it seems like the consensus on those two is that they're almost impossible to decipher using what's actually in the game anyway.

I went into it expecting a clever platformer with some light puzzle elements, and came out of it feeling that it's one of the best $9 investments I've made in some time. It's pleasing to look at, the world is interesting, there was some unexpected fun in having to learn the alphabet and the numbers that the people in the game use, and the soundtrack was just perfectly fitting. There were lots of nice little surprises in the game, and I really enjoyed my time with it enough that I'm kinda sad it's over!

I never did play it on the 360 and I'm kinda glad I held out for the PC release... it looked super crispy in 1920 x 1080 AND it's actually getting patched regularly (which is good because I was having crash issues on 1.03).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
so Maldo's fix no longer works with the official upgrade 1.05, at least on my end, I hope they paid him good money for the fix. Also CPU usage is reduced now, not 1.03 levels but lower than 1.04... hitching is less apparent also.
It's not maldo's fix (I think) it's some other guy. In any case, that same fix is now integrated into the official build. You have to use --force-60hz in command line to enable it.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I'm now at 32 cubes, 30 anti, plus a few red cubes... any way to check how many of those you've gotten? I know the last 2 anticubes are at the
Clocktower... green and grey hands
, just gotta wait now. :S

Posted a topic in the Steam Group about a puzzle that I ran into, was wondering if any other first-time players who've remained non-spoiled are interested in throwing some ideas around regarding this one.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FEZGAF/discussions/0/828937979380322076/

I assume this is another red cube puzzle, so it's going to be a tough one...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm now at 32 cubes, 30 anti, plus a few red cubes... any way to check how many of those you've gotten? I know the last 2 anticubes are at the
Clocktower... green and grey hands
, just gotta wait now. :S

Just alt tab out and play with your windows time.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I got that one. Forgot how I did it though... maybe I did look up the solution, although I don't remember doing that. Might have read it on neoGAF

Things that were brute forced or gathered from code and which no one has been able to solve through normal means:

Black Monolith solution
The two heart dissolving codes

People have torn the game code apart and have found these inputs in it, we just don't know how we were intended to find them. It's also been recently confirmed by multiple people who dug through all the code that we've done everything there is to do in the game; the percent is maxed at
209.4%
without glitching cubes and all that's left is to find these few codes legitimately and figure out what the images in the soundtrack mean. That means the show is over for me since I don't really care about finding the answers to these two extras if they're so obtuse that no one has found them by now, or may not even exist at all (there are other irrelevant junk remnants of code left in the game from scrapped ideas, so this wouldn't surprise me in the least).

Amir0x

Banned
Things that were brute forced or gathered from code and which no one has been able to solve through normal means:

Black Monolith solution

People have torn the game code apart and have found these inputs in it, we just don't know how we were intended to find them. It's also been recently confirmed by multiple people who dug through all the code that we've done everything there is to do in the game; the percent is maxed at
209.4%
without glitching cubes and all that's left is to find these few codes legitimately and figure out what the images in the soundtrack mean. That means the show is over for me since I don't really care about finding the answers if they're so obtuse that no one has found them by now, or may not even exist (there are other irrelevant junk remnants of code left in the game from scrapped ideas, so this wouldn't surprise me in the least).

Man with Phil Fish being as big of a bigmouth as he is, you'd think he would have at least explained what is going on with that :p

Stoze

Black Monolith solution

209.4%
without glitching cubes and all that's left is to find these few codes legitimately and figure out what the images in the soundtrack mean. That means the show is over for me since I don't really care about finding the answers to these two extras if they're so obtuse that no one has found them by now, or may not even exist at all (there are other irrelevant junk remnants of code left in the game from scrapped ideas, so this wouldn't surprise me in the least).

I imagine one of those solutions has to originate from the OST spectrograms, Phil Fish said in his reddit AMA that no one had figured out what the images meant yet.

And my god, I just went back and looked through all the notes I took for the game and started cracking up. It looks like I went bat shit crazy. Seriously, if my parent's saw these lying on my desk they would think I'm mentally ill.

jett

D-Member
The latest patch introduced longer loading times and freezes when turning the camera. Just screw this glitchy ass game. At least I managed to get the ending.

also update 1.05 rolled through. this amount of early support goes to show how idiotic consoles are with their patching policies. kinda wish steam asked devs to put in some patchnotes tho

Fez actually is like the perfect example of why console manufacturers don't allow such indiscriminate patching. Devs would just release buggy shit that introduces even more buggy shit with each patch.

iavi

How exactly do I get rid of the secret markers? In the intro area, there are two rooms with secrets in them, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do or be seeing.

iavi

Just leave them for now. You'll know what needs to be done in there in due time.

OK cool. I was the room with all the family photos, spinning it like a madman trying to figure out what in the hell the secret could be. That's that, though I already see backtracking being kinda hell.

Chev

remind me, what are those?
cause as far as I remembered the monolith was the only brute forced thing but it's been a while. of course many people got the telescope red cube accidentally while trying to get the anticube but it's not the same thing as brute force.

zkylon

zkylewd
Fez actually is like the perfect example of why console manufacturers don't allow such indiscriminate patching. Devs would just release buggy shit that introduces even more buggy shit with each patch.
wasn't it buggy shit on 360 on release too?

Chris R

Can I be added to the group? The game says I'm 25% done but it doesn't feel like it. Can't wait to get 100% though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wait. Can someone explain
the Monolith
? It's that
spinning floating black rectangular cube right?
I found it and don't know what to do at all with it.

xelios

cause as far as I remembered the monolith was the only brute forced thing but it's been a while. of course many people got the telescope red cube accidentally while trying to get the anticube but it's not the same thing as brute force.

Once you have all 64 cubes and all three heart pieces and go into the Temple of Love where the heart is fully assembled, you can pull up your inventory and input a code on the alphabet artifact and then the number artifact and the heart will dissolve. The inputs for this were found in the game code. You also need the brute forced last heart piece to do this in the first place, so it's kinda a double whammy.

HoodWinked

it was only discovered recently someone decompiled the game code of the pc version.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Nobody knows :c

Well, how to solve it legitimately anyway. A guy brute forced it by pressing random buttons.
That's crazy if that's the last word on it. I figured the reasoning behind that puzzle would have been found by now...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Actually. What do you do with the telescope anyway? Don't give me the solution but let me know a hint of what I need to look at to figure it out.

xelios

Actually. What do you do with the telescope anyway? Don't give me the solution but let me know a hint of what I need to look at to figure it out.

There are two separate things. One involves constellations and one involves a blinking light.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That's crazy if that's the last word on it. I figured the reasoning behind that puzzle would have been found by now...

Want to know something even more crazy?

They discovered yet another code set and trigger, only after the PC version came out. A year after release. There's still more to be found.

Also, I am now caught up to where about everyone is with all the items including the
3 red heart pieces
and now I sit and watch as the internet finds out the rest.

xelios

Want to know something even more crazy?

They discovered yet another code set and trigger, only after the PC version came out. A year after release. There's still more to be found.

Also, I am now caught up to where about everyone is with all the items including the
3 red heart pieces
and now I sit and watch as the internet finds out the rest.

That was all they found in the code, though (
the inputs to dissolve the heart
). Multiple people have confirmed after digging through the code that technically all that's left to be found are codes we already know; it's just a matter of finding them where/how they were meant to be found.

Selkies!

So the new patch makes the game playable on my video card, sort of. Game was unplayable (crashed at startup) in v1.01-1.04. When I tried starting a new game the old guy would just stand there forever. When I exited and reloaded that save he would go drop down the letter. Got to the top of fez mountain, met the golden cube and then everything disappeared and I was staring at space. I could hear stuff going on but I couldn't see anything. So I'm not going to play this for a while. Hopefully the remaining quirks get worked out soon, I really want to play Fez.

Chris R

I've ran into a few bugs that made me relaunch the game but at least the checkpointing system is pretty good. The traversal portion of the game is a touch tedious though, a golden border around a door or some indicator if you have "completed" that area would be nice so I'm not picture matching the map so frequently.

No idea how much longer I have until I beat the game, but I do have
3 of 4 artifacts, a few anticubes and some treasure maps
As for 100%, it might take some time with no external help!

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm at 175% I think, but I'm kind of completely stuck in pretty much every room I have left.

I think I gotta start figuring out the numbers, I think that'll set me on a good path. got a few theories...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
145 % Really need to figure out the number system now.. Any subtle hints on where to go?

RooMHM

I think I'm close to being done with the "story" for the first time. I have about 32 cubes without much of a hassle honestly. I thought it would be harder, especially for the anti-cubes.
But yeah, still some things I can't figure. Is new game + a lot harder?

edit: what the f did I just watch?
WTF New game+?! Still don't really see how it'll be useful but still ... wtf xD

Ledsen

Watching Indie Game: the Movie and I'm feeling very sympathetic towards Phil Fish. The guy is obviously very sensitive when it comes to people's opinions about him, which leads to him being extremely defensive and saying things that only worsen people's opinion about him, leading him to be even more defensive etc in a never-ending spiral. He's just a dude who made a game and said a couple of regrettable things for fuck's sake, not a mass murderer. In the end tough, if you're letting people's opinion about you affect you to that degree you have a few options, like a) stop appearing in public b) stop reading what the internet says about you or c) become secure enough in yourself that it doesn't matter what people say.

Oh and he's right that the conversation about him (on the internet in general, not this thread) is obscuring discussion about Fez. The game is pretty great after all.

Haunted

Wait, so the
Skull artifact
does nothing? I have a hard time believing that. But if there's nothing even in the game code about it... maybe people haven't looked through the decompiled code hard enough.

RooMHM

I "have found a ... what is this I don't even?" ... I'd like to check what it is damn! It's not even in the inventory!

justjim89

Yeah, I think I'm done playing this. 31 cubes, 6 cube bits, and 27 anti-cubes. Still missing the tome artifact. This game is simply smarter than me.

I cheated to figure out the alphabet and the numbers, and I'm glad I did. I never would have figured that out on my own. The numbers, especially. Where in the game does it give you clues to that? The counting cube is useless. And I've never heard the phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." in my life, so I never would have figured out the alphabet on my own. But at this point, I'd pretty much have to either cheat or go into every room I haven't cleared and throw things at the wall to see what sticks. Either way, it doesn't sound terribly fun. I still have no idea what the owls mean, or the red cubes I've found.

This is a great game, no doubt. I've really enjoyed myself these 13 hours with it. But there's seemingly nothing left I can accomplish on my own.

daxy

Yeah, I think I'm done playing this. 31 cubes, 6 cube bits, and 27 anti-cubes. Still missing the tome artifact. This game is simply smarter than me.

I cheated to figure out the alphabet and the numbers, and I'm glad I did. I never would have figured that out on my own. The numbers, especially. Where in the game does it give you clues to that? The counting cube is useless. And I've never heard the phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." in my life, so I never would have figured out the alphabet on my own. But at this point, I'd pretty much have to either cheat or go into every room I haven't cleared and throw things at the wall to see what sticks. Either way, it doesn't sound terribly fun. I still have no idea what the owls mean, or the red cubes I've found.

This is a great game, no doubt. I've really enjoyed myself these 13 hours with it. But there's seemingly nothing left I can accomplish on my own.

The cubes are pretty straightforward, in general. Some of them do take some time, but for me it was always more of a 'how did I not see this sooner' kind of thing. The
red cubes
are insane though.
As for the owls, there's a statue in a city that's pretty on the nose about what needs to be done. Perhaps you haven't seen it or
aren't pressing the right button
?

It's been over a year since I played this but if I remember correctly I learnt the numbers from a chalkboard in a classroom.

HoodWinked

The cubes are pretty straightforward, in general. Some of them do take some time, but for me it was always more of a 'how did I not see this sooner' kind of thing. The
red cubes
are insane though.
As for the owls, there's a statue in a city that's pretty on the nose about what needs to be done. Perhaps you haven't seen it or
aren't pressing the right button
?

as for the owls
what do you mean the statue in the city it doesn't do anything. The actual clue is in the eye patch man's house (beginning of the game) where there are portraits in his home where all the owls are

RooMHM

Thanks amirox, never would've deciphered the alphabet without that sentence (that i didn't know). When you said it I instantly thought of the scene though. Took me a while to find it again but then it's pretty obvious. Now for the numbers... sheesh
edit:
Is the artifact book undecipherable? I tried to translate it first and I thought I had the alphabet wrong but every thing else works fine...

Final edit: I'm done. I think I maxed the percentage but maybe not.
I got all 32 cubes and anti cubes with the 3 red cubes/heart pieces.
I still don't understand the numbers system and I had to look up for
the bell anticube and the boiler room in the village, my last puzzle. Quite funny story. Also I couldn't find the riddle's solution and of course, the black monolith.
I read a bit about the book and all the other shady stuff and there's really something for the more motivated I see. I felt the game was quite easy, and not challenging overall. I didn't have problems navigating with the 3d map either. Good game even if the platforming and the random (?) annoying black holes can be a bit frustrating.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I understand the numbers pretty well. Could I use what I know about them to start working on the alphabet, or does it kinda play by a different set of rules?

zkylon

zkylewd
ok, only 9 8 rooms left.

a room with a chest in the gameboy area. can't raise the water level high enough and I just run out of ideas
got the heart of the telescope room following the red dots pattern but still missing something
missing something on the clock room too, I already got the one that shows up at night and now the clock's dead
the room with the billion doors in the cemetery world. the treasure maps are clearly meant to be used here but I don't know the order which I'm guessing are the symbols solved this one, got a useless alien skull. not feeling any more accomplished
the room that loops forever if you go down. no ideas
giant cube thing with cubes with symbols on them. I'm guessing this has to do with the alphabet, so I'm steering clear of it for now
the monolith, no idea
the bell room, gotta figure out what the symbols on the bell mean

got a couple theories, I just don't even know where to start to figure out the numbers.

I don't even know if I want a hint or not

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There are two separate things. One involves constellations and one involves a blinking light.
Ah yes. Okay. I was wondering what those blinking red pixels were.

Man, that
clock puzzle. I already got the easy minute one but have 15 minutes to wait for the hour one. Sadly I also missed the daily one by about an hour and have a few days left for the week one. I don't really want to change my clock time though. So I'll wait.

RooMHM

ok, only 9 8 rooms left.

a room with a chest in the gameboy area. can't raise the water level high enough and I just run out of ideas
got the heart of the telescope room following the red dots pattern but still missing something
missing something on the clock room too, I already got the one that shows up at night and now the clock's dead
the room with the billion doors in the cemetery world. the treasure maps are clearly meant to be used here but I don't know the order which I'm guessing are the symbols solved this one, got a useless alien skull. not feeling any more accomplished
the room that loops forever if you go down. no ideas
giant cube thing with cubes with symbols on them. I'm guessing this has to do with the alphabet, so I'm steering clear of it for now
the monolith, no idea
the bell room, gotta figure out what the symbols on the bell

got a couple theories, I just don't even know where to start to figure out the numbers.

I don't even know if I want a hint or not
For the room that loops forever, the Only clue I d give would be that it isn t any different from the other puzzles if you know what I mean :)

Ledsen

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I can't believe I just (red cube spoilers)

saw a suspiciously highlighted section on a blackboard beneath a telescope, checked that section of the sky out at night and saw, filmed two red dots blinking for a minute and a half, watched the footage in slow motion to be able to write it down, realized that the only type of message that can be encoded with only two signs is binary, did the 1:s and 0:s backwards first, put it into a binary translator and got disappointed, reversed the 1:s and 0:s, put it in again and HOLY FUCK YOU FUCKING PHIL FISH I LOVE YOU YESSSSSSSSS

...the only problem now is I can't figure out how to get the normal cube in the same room, that shit is harder than the supposedly hard part :(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
clock tower: do I really have to do what i fear i have to do in this room?
four times?

Top Bottom