• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEZ | Spreadsheet Version OT |

So cool to see anew group of players digging this game.

Question for those who have double-dipped or are in the know:
Did Fish patch in an actual, solvable solution for the monolith puzzle in this version?

daxy

So cool to see anew group of players digging this game.

Question for those who have double-dipped or are in the know:
Did Fish patch in an actual, solvable solution for the monolith puzzle in this version?

From what I understand the patches were bugfixes and the game is the same as it was. He did say that there are things not yet found, so perhaps it's been in there all along.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
31 cubes, 3 pieces of the last cube, 3 anti-cubes, 2 artifacts. I'm at a point in the game where I can't find new things without solving the puzzles. Also, navigating the map is torture

1) how the fuck do I reach this chest? It's driving me crazy!
There are maps. Do you have them all? Have you figured out how to read them? Did you know you can rotate them? That's all I'm going to say right now.

And done. That was a fun ass game, though it did start to feel a bit like busy work in new game +.
Spoiler. Spoiler image.

Is it really a spoiler image? That's pretty much the first screen I've seen of the game in months as I've yet to play it or visit any of the OT's. :/

From what I understand the patches were bugfixes and the game is the same as it was. He did say that there are things not yet found, so perhaps it's been in there all along.
Hmm. I find that hard to believe but it may well be so. Thanks.

Beat it (true ending).

Ultimately ended up cheating on a small number of puzzles, but don't really regret it.

Some of the puzzles were way too obtuse, and navigation via the 3d map was horrible.

Why not have a camera item? When you see something significant, take a screenshot and refer to it later.

When I realized I had to collect the four
owls
, it would have been awesome to take pictures of their locations as shown in the village.

For instance, why do I have to translate all of the language by hand? Once the player has demonstrated that he/she understands the alphabet (via puzzle), a Babelfish item would have been a godsend. It was tedious as hell to translate what the
inhabitants of Zu were saying
, because I thought one of them might offer something significant. Nope.

All in all, Phil demanded way too much 'work' on the part of the player that detracted from the fun.

cryptology is pretty fun

you also have a cell phone or a computer that can take screenshots

My computer can take screenshots!?

Seriously, I can also
change my date and time to collect the clock tower cubes
, but that doesn't necessarily make it fun to do so. I pity the people who played through that part on 360.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
My computer can take screenshots!?

Seriously, I can also
change my date and time to collect the clock tower cubes
, but that doesn't necessarily make it fun to do so. I pity the people who played through that part on 360.

Yea.
Alt tabbing and screwing with the clock is easy. Quitting out of Fez, going to the system settings on xbox, setting a time, going back, running the game, loading a save, checking if it's right, quitting back out... etc.. Yuck.

epmode

Beat it (true ending).

Ultimately ended up cheating on a small number of puzzles, but don't really regret it.

Some of the puzzles were way too obtuse, and navigation via the 3d map was horrible.

Why not have a camera item? When you see something significant, take a screenshot and refer to it later.

Having played this for a few hours now, I agree with this completely. Actually having to write down these notes is pretty annoying. I'd feel better about the current method if you could warp to any room in the game using the map.

I also agree with your note about translations. Once you've proven to the game that you understand the mechanic, automate that crap.

Aesthetically, this is a stunning game and I'm glad to have played it but I don't think I have the patience to finish everything.

Moobabe

So I've been playing this for a few hours and love the game - but I've seen a bunch of people talking about making pages upon pages of notes etc. Am I missing something?

Is there a point in the game where it's obvious that I'll need to do that? I've encountered
the weird other language in signs and stuff
but so far feel no need to do anything too involved about it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I've been playing this for a few hours and love the game - but I've seen a bunch of people talking about making pages upon pages of notes etc. Am I missing something?

Is there a point in the game where it's obvious that I'll need to do that? I've encountered [spoilers] the weird other language in signs and stuff [/spoilers] but so far feel no need to do anything too involved about it.

I made a couple of pages of notes. If you plan to collect the anti-cubes it's pretty necessary.

vidcons

Banned
What I mean is - will there be a point where I reach a room or puzzle and think "ok, let's grab a pen"
everything has meaning, you just won't know what you need to write down until you're familiar with the language of the game. some people hate this because you're supposed to be building upon prior knowledge and may have to backtrack, and since you couldn't figure it out the first time it's "obtuse"

which doesn't mean that the game's language isn't contrived at times but you should never really be like "what the fuck, that was a clue?" because either you don't know enough yet or you're dumb

yarden24

everything has meaning, you just won't know what you need to write down until you're familiar with the language of the game. some people hate this because you're supposed to be building upon prior knowledge and may have to backtrack, and since you couldn't figure it out the first time it's "obtuse"

which doesn't mean that the game's language isn't contrived at times but you should never really be like "what the fuck, that was a clue?" because either you don't know enough yet or you're dumb

honestly the biggest problem is that backtracking is such a chore, making so you can fast travel more easily and to more places would elevate a lot of the complaints

megalowho

honestly the biggest problem is that backtracking is such a chore, making so you can fast travel more easily and to more places would elevate a lot of the complaints
It's not that bad in NG+,
just keep flying and moving through doors until a one way warp takes you back to a hub area
. Just have to have a general sense of where the warps branch off to. You'd lose that element of slowly learning your way around a maze if instant teleporting was an option.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is decoding the
alphabet really a matter of finding common words in dialogue and feeling them out manually, or is there going to be a 'totem' like the was for the directional language to show you the way?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Is decoding the
alphabet really a matter of looking finding common words in dialogue and feeling them out, or is there going to be a 'totem' like the was for the directional language to show you the way?

It's easier than the brute force method you describe, you're pretty close with the second part though there's an animated visual cue involved as well. Since people keep asking where you learn the
entire alphabet
I'm gonna go ahead and give a big hint to what you should be on the lookout for with one word, so pretty spoilery:
fonts

zashga

OK, what the hell. Just loaded up the game for the second time ever, selected my save file, and "continue game" was grayed out and couldn't be selected. Hit "start new game" thinking the options were just weirdly labeled, and sure enough it deleted my progress. How the hell do you continue a saved game?

Avallon

So I got to 177.3% before I had to look up anything.
fuck numbers

Salsa, did you really full 209.3 this game without looking anything up?

Amir0x

Banned
Those kinds of puzzles are never fun.

Hated it in Swords and Sworcery, hated it here.

yeah that was the one aspect of Fez I did not like. That stupid damn time puzzle. Took me forever to do all the clock ones, not because it was hard but because I had to always time it right and I was constantly just barely missing it. I refused to change my 360 clock around :p

God I love Fez's atmosphere so much. The music and visuals just meld my mind into some alternative dimension

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Sounds like a lot of the puzzles in the game are stupid hard. I'm curious about them because they seem to be a big deal. How much of FEZ is about puzzles?

Haunted

Sounds like a lot of the puzzles in the game are stupid hard. I'm curious about them because they seem to be a big deal. How much of FEZ is about puzzles?
96% puzzles, 4% traversal/platforming in terms of challenge. In terms of results/content, it's split up exactly evenly. Half of the cubes you collect just by jumping around and exploring, the other half by solving puzzles.

Feep

Banned
It's not really possible to 209.3% the game without looking anything up, because one of the final puzzles was brute-forced by the internet, and no known solution exists.

I reviewed the game...got to 32 cubes/30 anticubes/2 heart cubes by myself (200%), which I was pretty proud of. But you just can't do it all. = (

Amir0x

Banned
It's not really possible to 209.3% the game without looking anything up, because one of the final puzzles was brute-forced by the internet, and no known solution exists.

I reviewed the game...got to 32 cubes/30 anticubes/2 heart cubes by myself (200%), which I was pretty proud of. But you just can't do it all. = (

huh? I don't remember missing anything in my 360 game... what particular thing was brute forced?

HoodWinked

So I got to 177.3% before I had to look up anything.
fuck numbers

Salsa, did you really full 209.3 this game without looking anything up?

no there are 3-4 puzzles which are practically impossible to solve alone. unless you are just brute forcing and get lucky.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm so hilariously stuck in
ng+
it's embarassing

I have like 9 hours of gameplay of which 4 must've been me hitting my head against walls failing to solve anticube rooms...

I think I'll go artifact hunting instead, I still have an unused key, maybe that'll clear my head and give me some enlightenment

but I feel as dumb as all fuck

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If I have all the artifacts, does that allow me to do something I couldn't before, or is it only what I infer from them that matters?

Gambit61

Well that was weird. I was just browsing gaf and listening to the Fez soundtrack when my PC randomly crashed and started buzzing like in the intro lol.

If I have all the artifacts, does that allow me to do something I couldn't before, or is it only what I infer from them that matters?

I beat the game earlier and it looks like they don't really do anything :(

zkylon

zkylewd
turns out I had the thing right in my head, but for some reason kept inputting it wrong
I was inputting the squigly lines stuff in first person :/

I'm 30 yellows, 19 purples. got a few theories on the numbers but still plenty of mysteries.

but at last, breakthrough.

also update 1.05 rolled through. this amount of early support goes to show how idiotic consoles are with their patching policies. kinda wish steam asked devs to put in some patchnotes tho

Top Bottom