• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF XIV: Legacy & Welcome Back(Accounts must be registered by May 31st for Legacy!)

Mario007

I wish the cutscenes were all voiced. I think that's my remaining gripe.

Kagari, I've seen a number of your post and you've been fairly critical of SE when you felt they deserved it when it came to FFs, so how do you like FF 14 in its current state and do you think they can fix it enough for Version 2.0 to be a success?

Munba

Meteor wipes them all out?

There are some theories about it.. one of the most plausible (seeing also the art in 2.0 pdf) would be that red moon (dalamud) will attract the underground aetherythes whne it'll be very near, so that all the ancient remains and ruins will come in the surface. Changing the geological terrain too.

Teknoman

There are some theories about it.. one of the most plausible (seeing also the art in 2.0 pdf) would be that red moon (dalamud) will attract the underground aetherythes whne it'll be very near, so that all the ancient remains and ruins will come in the surface. Changing the geological terrain too.

So World of Ruin? Gotcha :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kagari, I've seen a number of your post and you've been fairly critical of SE when you felt they deserved it when it came to FFs, so how do you like FF 14 in its current state and do you think they can fix it enough for Version 2.0 to be a success?

I think they've fixed it in a lot of ways already. With everything they've accomplished the last 2 years I can't see 2.0 being a disappointment.

As it is, I would recommend the game in it's current state for people looking to play.

Azriell

I'm a long time XI player, who was naturally attracted to XIV, but was turned off by the beta (a story told a hundred times in this thread it seems). I still bought the game at launch, because I had faith it would improve, but I'm fairly certain I never actually played after launch (or if I did, it was only once or twice).

Can someone explain to me what bonuses I'm eligible for? What's the deal with this paying now for a reduced sub fee later (and is that permanent)? Is the free play time only for certain players? I read the OP (and then again, to my wife), but I still feel clueless.

I just installed XIV and it's updating now, but I'm about to leave for work so I won't get any satisfaction until tomorrow morning. May the answers to these questions satiate me enough that I might not lose it at work.

massoluk

Banned
Uh... yeah. So I'm not really enjoying the game that much. The whole game is really not user friendly. I'll stick around, may be it'll get better in 2.0.

Zee-Row

Banned
So whats up with getting a free item in this game if you registered Final Fantasy 13 for PS3? Did Square Enix ever explain what they were gonna do with that?

Darte

Can someone explain to me what bonuses I'm eligible for? What's the deal with this paying now for a reduced sub fee later (and is that permanent)? Is the free play time only for certain players? I read the OP (and then again, to my wife), but I still feel clueless.

I just installed XIV and it's updating now, but I'm about to leave for work so I won't get any satisfaction until tomorrow morning. May the answers to these questions satiate me enough that I might not lose it at work.

If you reach level 30, you can obtain a Goobue Mount at the small hub near bloodshore. This is only available to obtain until 1.x is in service. Once 2.0 launches, there will be no way to obtain this mount again.

For 2.0, they are introducing a new price model system. I can't remember the specifics but it goes something like:

Normal subscription 30 days (1 character, on 1 World. 8 characters max across all servers) $12.99
Premium subscription 30 days (8 characters, on 1 World. 40 characters max across all servers) $14.99
Legacy subscription 30 days (same benefits as Premium subscription) $9.99

The free play time is only for 10 days just to show off the vast improvements to the game and to entice players into enrolling into the legacy campaign.
If you pay for at least 90 days of subscription, you will gain legacy status for your account and be entitled to pay $9.99 instead of the other pricing schemes for the duration of the game. Oh and you also get a neat chocobo mount at the launch of 2.0.

Uh... yeah. So I'm not really enjoying the game that much. The whole game is really not user friendly. I'll stick around, may be it'll get better in 2.0.

As it is, it won't be user friendly. Blame Mr Tanaka for that. Tutorials? Pfft who the hell needs those. Friendly user interface? Not on my watch!
-_-;
But yea Yoshida actually had the sense to implement a tiny amount of tutorials into the game (more than what Tanaka put in). It's more of a band aid fix atm, but tutorials and user interface improvements will come at launch of 2.0.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well I'm able to navigate the forest just fine, but I feel like I'm going at a very slow pace because I'm still getting the hang of the game. Haven't even done the quest to unlock the inn yet.

Darte

So whats up with getting a free item in this game if you registered Final Fantasy 13 for PS3? Did Square Enix ever explain what they were gonna do with that?

Asuran Armguards. Decent level 1~10 crafting/gathering gloves. Think you have to register it to your Square Enix account and then when you create a new character, it will start with the gloves.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It used to be even worse... at least now there's tutorials and actual map markers.

Gattsu25

Banned
Where did you get your copy? Mine from Amazon.com digital distribution didn't have the intro movie. I had to watch it on youtube.

FFXI from steam was the same way, my disc copy had the intro movie but my steam copy didn't.
I have a disc copy of the game.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So you can pay for 90 days? All I did was go into the se management and reactivate. Is that all I need to do, or do I need to commit to 90 days?

Riposte

So you can pay for 90 days? All I did was go into the se management and reactivate. Is that all I need to do, or do I need to commit to 90 days?

I don't understand what you are asking...

For the welcome back campaign you only need to log on to the game.

ZenaxPure

Haven't even done the quest to unlock the inn yet.

Those all simply involve you walk about 5 feet away from the quest giver to watch bizarre cutscenes that sometimes may or may not have ladies going into strip clubs to spy on other ladies.

Should probably do them asap since rest xp is always awesome.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't understand what you are asking...

For the welcome back campaign you only need to log on to the game.

Did that to log in, also went to SE management page to reactivate my billing cycle on the account. But people are talking like you need to buy a 90 day subscription to get legacy status and the gobbue mount. Im wondering if reactivating my billing cycle is all I need to do.

Zee-Row

Banned
Dunno what to do , tried to start the game , entered my registration code in the account management screen.
Every time i try to log in it says 50002 something proper has to be activated at the account management screen.

Zee-Row

Banned
I guess that I have to add a character slot but that also means that I gotta give them my CC number even though its a free trial period?

Darte

Did that to log in, also went to SE management page to reactivate my billing cycle on the account. But people are talking like you need to buy a 90 day subscription to get legacy status and the gobbue mount. Im wondering if reactivating my billing cycle is all I need to do.

Goobue mount you can get as long as you hit level 30 i think.

Legacy = pay up for 90 days at least before 2.0 launches.

massoluk

Banned
Are you playing with a controller? What are you having trouble with?

The way journal works, the way the map works, the way the quests work, the way the merchant works, the way the class/level/job/tradeskill progression work, the way the inn works, the way the crystal camp thing work... I figured out eventually what some of them do what, but no thanks to whoever design this game. And I'm still as confused as ever...

Hell, even their account registration process is cumbersome. I used to think Vanguard: Saga of Heroes diplomacy thing is bad, this game takes the cake.

Caelestis

^ In the "List Options Continued Automatically" section there is a "Period Length" That you can update. I assume that would work for returning members.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Those all simply involve you walk about 5 feet away from the quest giver to watch bizarre cutscenes that sometimes may or may not have ladies going into strip clubs to spy on other ladies.

Should probably do them asap since rest xp is always awesome.
I'll definitely get to it later tonight.

I do have to say that from the bit I've played I'm loving the game's presentation and art style.

Teknoman

Wait till we take you guys on your first low level primal fight. Also a good level 15 trip would be the Shposhea dungeon in La Noscea. There is a quest for it in Limsa Lominsa as well.

The way journal works, the way the map works, the way the quests work, the way the merchant works, the way the class/level/job/tradeskill progression work, the way the inn works, the way the crystal camp thing work... I figured out eventually what some of them doe what, but no thanks to whoever design this game. And I'm still as confused as ever...

Hell, even their account registration process is cumbersome. I used to think Vanguard: Saga of Heroes diplomacy thing is bad, this game takes the cake.

Well I cant say the account registration isnt more complicated than it should be, but the classes and so forth are pretty straight forward. FF MMOs tend to play closer to normal JRPGs. Talk to all npcs, check every menu option (there are pop up tips now), ask other people for help, etc.

diddles

Banned
just bought for 10 bucks. hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

reason i say that is ffxi wasted over two years of my life.

Jijidasu

Probably my most anticipated game for E3 really. First on my list anyway, and looking forward to meeting Yoshi-P again.

You're attending? Much to my near-suicidal disappointment, work obligations prevent me from going. This would have to be the first time in many years that I honestly wish I could be there. I'm expecting news out of you!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I haven't enjoyed my experience with the game much so far (I'm only level 10 though). The game has performance issues, grinding mobs/leve system is boring to me (I have been tired of straight grinding mobs in MMOs since 2004, more quests would be appreciated), interacting with npcs is slow and unresponsive at times, and I have been experiencing a crash bug when I open my journal sometimes.

I'm sticking it out because I hear it gets better around level 25.

gillty

Banned
What does the Legacy icon look like? I signed up for 3 months to make sure too.
ffxivgame2012-05-1217xgk21.png

Rootbeer

Banned
is the game supposed to have kind of a low framerate because it seems that way on my system, especially cut-scenes... never have problems on other games (i920, gtx 570 SC, 6GB DDR3, 1920x1200 res)

Haint

The way journal works, the way the map works, the way the quests work, the way the merchant works, the way the class/level/job/tradeskill progression work, the way the inn works, the way the crystal camp thing work... I figured out eventually what some of them doe what, but no thanks to whoever design this game. And I'm still as confused as ever...

I played the game for 3 or 4 months when it first came out, probably several hundred hours. Even with that much experience and knowing all the basics, coming back cold, I couldn't really figure out how to find or enter the Inn. This was down to shitty ass map and (I assume) continued reliance on random nonsensical NPC quests to accomplish anything. NPC at the door just kept speaking in tongues. There's so much dead space and so many meaningless NPC's, I have no idea where to start without consulting a guide. Game is still in a really sad state with the new team basically just tweaking and modifying the horrible foundation of the OG release. They really needed to completely scrap most of the game, but up this point, they've just been polishing a turd. The repair system is probably the worst part of the game, requiring hundreds and hundreds of hours to maintain yourself and/or enormous amounts of gil. That shit should have been the first thing they dropped.

My main gripe with XIV is how sluggish everything is, the menus are difficult and slow to navigate, targeting enemies and NPCs is awkward, and in general everything just feels too slow

I've not played much at all (though will invest in it a lot this year) but I thought the writing and general storytelling was excellent. Being able to do a handful of nice story quests (with great presentation) one after another at the games beginning made it feel almost like a normal numbered FF

If 2.0 adds more quests like that then it'll be well worth investing in

Jinko

is the game supposed to have kind of a low framerate because it seems that way on my system, especially cut-scenes... never have problems on other games (i920, gtx 570 SC, 6GB DDR3, 1920x1200 res)

Don't use Ambient Occlusion it completely screws up your framerate.

I wouldn't use General Drawing Quality above 8 either as it will render the game as 25 and 50 % the windowed resolution. (ie supersampling)

Yeah I don't have it.

Have you paid for 90 days cumulative subscription ?

Boss Man

Am I going to be able to pay for 90 days and get Legacy status even if I can't install the game/make a character?

Top Bottom