• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF XIV: Legacy & Welcome Back(Accounts must be registered by May 31st for Legacy!)

I've always wanted to play FFXIV, but the beta put me off it initially. I've actually had a copy of the game for the longest time, but never installed it or tried out the trial. This thread really got me interested in it again, so I dropped for the 90 days and got everything set up on Friday.

I started as Cian Slitzkin on Sargantas and I'm really loving it, so say hi if you happen to run past me. I'm currently doing some solo'ing to try and get to grips with the mechanics. I noticed a dungeon near Limsa Lominsa that seems built for parties around level 15, so I'd love to team up with some of the other fresh faces at some point!

dellingr

You guys have convinced me to join in. I bought a new copy at Gamestation for a fiver but I've just noticed that the registration code is not present. The space were it should be on the manual is completely blank. Either way, someone at Gamestation has some explaining to do...

Kamaki

Well I was completely unaware that this game had actually turned into something playable, for £4 I'm happy to give it a go!

From what I'm reading if I jump in for 90 days now I'll also apply for the legacy account right? I wouldn't bother normally but the idea of lower subscription fees for life is tempting and who doesn't love a good Chocobo.

I actually enjoyed what I played of FFXI or at least the first hour or so until lvl 10, could never get into a group in that game.

What's the easiest character to solo with? I'd like to be able to play this like a single player RPG as well as an MMO when I feel like it.

Rootbeer

Banned
question about the online Crysta currency...

will I ever be needing it? Anything useful you can do with it other than paying service fees?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
question about the online Crysta currency...

will I ever be needing it? Anything useful you can do with it other than paying service fees?

They never used the currency for anything else in other regions except in Japan. I know that some of the social games on SE Japanese member site used crysta for avatar clothes and things like that.

Arksy

So what's the verdict by the resubbers? Nearly 2 years after launch...I tried this for a good 2 months but gave up amidst all the problems. Is now just plain outdated despite Yoshida's absolutely admirable attempts at improving it? Also can you pay with paypal now? I hated that you had to go through some dodgy backwater website to pay for it.

Looks like it

Combine that with the restrictive daily limit on quests and you have a game that sort of punishes people for enjoying it too much.

aw man.

Oh btw. i am playing with an EU account and US CC works fine to pay. It didn't work before until they added more payment options.

Dineren

Banned
I didn't think I'd actually be able to play this again, but somehow I managed to locate my authenticator. Unfortunately I have no clue where I was at in game or how to play for that matter. Is there any reason not to start over at this point? My character wasn't very far along.

Jinko

does character slot become part of the monthly cost? :O

All info can be found Here

Currently you have to pay for extra slots but there really isn't any point, seeing as one character can be all classes/jobs.

So what's the verdict by the resubbers? Nearly 2 years after launch...I tried this for a good 2 months but gave up amidst all the problems. Is now just plain outdated despite Yoshida's absolutely admirable attempts at improving it? Also can you pay with paypal now? I hated that you had to go through some dodgy backwater website to pay for it.

You can pay by Paypal if you click on the UltimateBuy option and also by Direct Card payment.

Zee-Row

Banned
I wanna upgrade my gear since i'm on level 10 and i'm still using the stuff my character started with. Is it worth it buying gear at the regular shops or is it useless like FF11? Should I just buy my stuff from player mules?

Riposte

I wanna upgrade my gear since i'm on level 10 and i'm still using the stuff my character started with. Is it worth it buying gear at the regular shops or is it useless like FF11? Should I just buy my stuff from player mules?

I suggest buying from regular shops, because I've found that the market wards are a crappy way to buy low level gear.

All info can be found Here

Currently you have to pay for extra slots but there really isn't any point, seeing as one character can be all classes/jobs.

You can pay by Paypal if you click on the UltimateBuy option and also by Direct Card payment.

only reason i am asking because i plan to play a char with a party and another char just to goof around with.

Zee-Row

Banned
So this game doesn't have an auction house huh? it sucks because because it was so much easier to find stuff I wanted in FF11.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So this game doesn't have an auction house huh? it sucks because because it was so much easier to find stuff I wanted in FF11.

On of the reasons FFXIV failed was that after 6 years of updating FFXI, SE had made countless improvements, and other good things.

They seemed to make a conscious effort to make sure none of those ideas, and improvements made it's way to FFXIV, almost like they had a big list of all the things people liked in FFXI on the wall in the office, under the giant header "DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING"

Jinko

On of the reasons FFXIV failed was that after 6 years of updating FFXI, SE had made countless improvements, and other good things.

They seemed to make a conscious effort to make sure none of those ideas, and improvements made it's way to FFXIV, almost like they had a big list of all the things people liked in FFXI on the wall in the office, under the giant header "DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING"

Sorry but that complete bullshit.

Being different wasn't what killed this game at launch, launching before it was ready and having everything servers side, with crapastic coding/server protocols and no content did.

Needless to say Yoshida is slowly working through all the bad idea's Tanaka came up with and making it more mainstream and user friendly.

2.0 will be something like the love child of WoW and FFXI.

diddles

Banned
the game sure runs better. last time i played, in beta, with this exact same computer, it was very choppy. pretty smooth now.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
the game sure runs better. last time i played, in beta, with this exact same computer, it was very choppy. pretty smooth now.

And it's not even the same engine that will run 2.0, lol.

Oh yeah, if last you played was beta the game must be a speed demon now :) By I think February after launch they had fixed many of the performance issues, including the most annoying things like browsing through shop menus.

It's still pretty damn slow to sell stuff to npc but that wont be a problem anymore with 2.0 and the new interface with drag and drop.

Boss Man

Has anyone been able to run this game with an integrated (shitty stock Intel) graphics card? The benchmark "runs", but is a slideshow that would be unplayable. I ask mostly because I've heard that the benchmark did not necessarily equate to the actual game to begin with and it sounds like it runs easier now as well.

Jinko

Has anyone been able to run this game with an integrated (shitty stock Intel) graphics card? The benchmark "runs", but is a slideshow that would be unplayable. I ask mostly because I've heard that the benchmark did not necessarily equate to the actual game to begin with and it sounds like it runs easier now as well.

Heh its very unlikely, with an Intel chip the client crashes before even getting to the update screen at least on my Laptop.

Is there anyone online at the moment around level 15 who might want to tackle the Shposhae dungeon near Limsa Lominsa? I hear it's got some nice loot (although I'm not really sure what). I've tried asking around the area but I seem to be the only person speaking in chat, so I must seem like a mad man desperately looking for a party at this point!

kiryogi

Banned
Is there anyone online at the moment around level 15 who might want to tackle the Shposhae dungeon near Limsa Lominsa? I hear it's got some nice loot (although I'm not really sure what). I've tried asking around the area but I seem to be the only person speaking in chat, so I must seem like a mad man desperately looking for a party at this point!

Sad to say, your best bet for finding a party is shouting in Ul'dah. . . Or maybe you could join the LS and there might be someone there to help you out or so.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Awesome, hopefully a full-on gameplay trailer (if they show it off at sony's conference then running on ps3) and not just CGI.

E3 2010's was all in-game. They're going to be showing off the 2.0 content, so I imagine that also includes showing off the new graphics engine.

Aatrium

Neo Member
Quick question if anyone can answer: I just reactivated my account, almost a year since I played and of course with all the world merging I'm on a different server. I got to level 30 on my last character but wanted to start new without deleting this one. Is it possible to not have this character activated but still keep him and create another option for a character on a new server? And if so, since I already reactivated does that mean I'll have to pay the $3.00 and/or $10.00 to create the option after already activating this character? Thanks in advance.

Going to redo my character I think and I will :D

If I delete it will it let me use the same name again right away?

I just did that and I had no issues! :D

I totally forgot how beautiful the world in the game is, it's just too bad that I have to wait for 2.0 and the pre-paid cards before I can play the game properly. :(

And I was too slow again.

ZenaxPure

I got to max level using crap I bought from the vendor (since I REFUSED to use that awful excuse of an Auction House that is currently in the game) and had absolutely no trouble with it.

As a melee character it felt like my weapon was what held me back more than anything, that and my level (not related to gear I know, but still). Unless you are very well geared it is very hard to kill something 2+ levels above you as melee. I leveled with 2 friends who were both mages and was pretty jealous when they 2 shot enemies it took me 30 seconds or more to kill.

Combine that with the restrictive daily limit on quests and you have a game that sort of punishes people for enjoying it too much.

This is what I was saying earlier in the thread, if you play solo you are punished for playing too much. I don't mind the system personally (since it actively counters my desire to get addicted to MMOs) but I can see how people could hate it.

Honestly though if you just find a group of people to play with it doesn't become an issue. If you're in a party with someone and they activate a guildleve you start it as well. There is a pretty big XP and gil penalty but with multiple people you can crank up the enemy levels of a leve to 3 above you quite easily and get bucket loads of XP that way.

Jinko

Quick question if anyone can answer: I just reactivated my account, almost a year since I played and of course with all the world merging I'm on a different server. I got to level 30 on my last character but wanted to start new without deleting this one. Is it possible to not have this character activated but still keep him and create another option for a character on a new server? And if so, since I already reactivated does that mean I'll have to pay the $3.00 and/or $10.00 to create the option after already activating this character? Thanks in advance.

Yea you can just active a new slot and only have to pay for that slot as far as I know.

Ravidrath

Going to redo my character I think and I will :D

If I delete it will it let me use the same name again right away?

Yeah.

Also, keep in mind that you'll be able to remake your character's appearance when 2.0 hits, since new race/gender combos and customization options will be appearing. So no reason to get TOO obsessive now.

depward

Most likely a really stupid question... but where do I access these graphics options to get better performance? They weren't in the settings in-game.

Ambient Occlusion
Depth of Field
Drawing Quality above 8

Most likely a really stupid question... but where do I access these graphics options to get better performance? They weren't in the settings in-game.

Ambient Occlusion
Depth of Field
Drawing Quality above 8

There's a separate program to access all the settings, ffxivconfig.exe.

Thoraxes

Ambient Occlusion
Depth of Field
Drawing Quality above 8

The FFXIV Config in your installation folder, or Windows Start Menu folder.

It's an application you use before using the game.

Also to everyone else, how much is it for 90 days? $45? I started all the grand company stuff last night and it was great.

Jinko

Is the gear repair going to be gone in 2.0? seems like such a stupid and pointless game mechanic.

No, there is nothing wrong with the repair system.
They are considering allowing any crafting class to repair though.

Stop dying and you don't need repairs :D

They do need to streamline the process, for example a "repair all" one click option and to allow crafters to repair without switching class, but I expect these things to be revised in 2.0 or sometimes after.

Ala Alba

So, I finally start playing, and while watching the opening video, I notice that there is strange graphical glitches throughout.

Then, I start making a character, and I notice strange black lines on the skin texture that seems rather unusual.

Finally, I start and the game crashes right as I gain control of my character, saying that it couldn't detect a directx device.

...Help?

Jinko

So, I finally start playing, and while watching the opening video, I notice that there is strange graphical glitches throughout.

Then, I start making a character, and I notice strange black lines on the skin texture that seems rather unusual.

Finally, I start and the game crashes right as I gain control of my character, saying that it couldn't detect a directx device.

...Help?

The DirectX device issue is common for many of us, make sure your graphics driver and DirectX version are update is about all you can do.

You will most likely want to turn off UAC as well as it can take control of your GPU and cause FFXIV to crash.

Anybody else notice a fairly substantial amount of screen tearing? It seems even worse during the intro movie, for example. It's really my only complaint since coming back to the game, and a small matter, but wondered if it's just me or possibly an ATI thing. :p Even forcing Vsync didn't help.

Skilletor

Anybody else notice a fairly substantial amount of screen tearing? It seems even worse during the intro movie, for example. It's really my only complaint since coming back to the game, and a small matter, but wondered if it's just me or possibly an ATI thing. :p Even forcing Vsync didn't help.

I get constant tearing on both a gtx 460 and a 580. its super annoying.

Absol

Well, my first time experiencing the game and so far I'm loving the world. Started in Limsa and the accents are a bit jarring but I love port towns so I'll just have to stick with it.

Yeah, had screen tearing too especially on the opening movie. Decided to use Radeon Pro and so far haven't seen it happen again.

Dineren

Banned
I forgot how good this game looks. Still doesn't run great in town even with the suggested settings, but it runs well enough. Does subscribing give you additional character slots?

Top Bottom