• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF XIV: Legacy & Welcome Back(Accounts must be registered by May 31st for Legacy!)

anyone that can get me a pearl for the gaf shell going to be on tonight? I should be logging on in about 20 minutes and will be on for a few hours after that.

Bladenic

Watched this playthrough on youtube and the most recent updates are fairly recent post-patches and the game looks absolutely stunning. Ugh I wish the PS3 version wasn't so far away. I'm really looking forward to it tbh, hope the 2.0 patch makes the game truly great and up to FFXI standards (or not, depending on certain aspects). Ahhh I'm so excited for everything, like exploring the world, parties, making friends, linkshells, quests, jobs, etc. I was a taru in 11 so I'm either going that or hume here, possibly Elvaan (don't know the new race names lol).

ZenaxPure

Well THM seems to be like the fastest class to level solo, my GF is pretty much leveling up in her sleep (or while reading), and just easily walking through enemies that are higher than her level (at least from 1-22).

Yep, stays like that the whole time. Pretty much the only thing in the game (other than the obvious broken stuff) that bummed me out a bit. I leveled lets say around 35 of my levels with 2 THMs (though one would sometimes change to the healer) and me as an archer.

My "job" was to do the last bit of damage so they didn't have to waste mp for a sliver of health. I felt pretty useless.

kiryogi

Banned
Well THM seems to be like the fastest class to level solo, my GF is pretty much leveling up in her sleep (or while reading), and just easily walking through enemies that are higher than her level (at least from 1-22).

Curious is she doing leves or? Wondering since I know someone struggling with solo as THM. Too fragile or something :eek:

Zee-Row

Banned
Is there an easier way to see where the quest givers are on the map? it seems like you can only see them on the mini map but not the full one. I wanna save time walking aimlessly.

Riposte

Is there an easier way to see where the quest givers are on the map? it seems like you can only see them on the mini map but not the full one. I wanna save time walking aimlessly.

As far as I know, nope. They appear when you were nearby (I think once they load?). They should appear on the main map also. Probably an engine issue.

teiresias

OK, so I'm a bit confused. I started out in Limsa (whatever the "pirate" city is), and I finished the first main quest "Treasures of the Main" or whatever. Now, I've taken on a bunch of the Tutorial Leve quests from the Leveguild counter in the bar. However, all of them require a different class/job, one needs botanist, another needs miner, etc. How do I figure out what I'm supposed to equip to change to these classes/jobs and where do I go to procure the equipment?

I'm playing an Archer at the moment, btw. I always played magic users in FFXI, so I wanted a change of pace, so think I'm going to stick to actual weapon classes/jobs right now (at least for the battle stuff, not sure about crafting what I'll do).

Oh, and is there a hidden setting to cure the absolutely awful level-of-detail transitions in cities? It's not nearly as bad out in the wilderness, but in the city the transitions as you approach building and other structures is just horrendous.

ibxNyuFrd48dPD.jpg

haha.

Oh and i finally did the borderless windowed mode. runs MUCH smoother than full screen for some reason lol.

We discovered Shposhae today, looking forward to exploring it, dat new battle music in there sogood

Really enjoying the game, interesting story (great) cutscenes, and the 'grinding' doesn't feel like a chore at all, it's nice being able to switch between classes so easily, so a little bit of down time lets us cook/go fishing and we're still progressing

I think if you can appreciate a game that's a lot slower paced, and doesn't go out of it's way to explain everything to you, and can deal with a lot of jank (mainly interface) then you'll like FFXIV

Jinko

OK, so I'm a bit confused. I started out in Limsa (whatever the "pirate" city is), and I finished the first main quest "Treasures of the Main" or whatever. Now, I've taken on a bunch of the Tutorial Leve quests from the Leveguild counter in the bar. However, all of them require a different class/job, one needs botanist, another needs miner, etc. How do I figure out what I'm supposed to equip to change to these classes/jobs and where do I go to procure the equipment?

I'm playing an Archer at the moment, btw. I always played magic users in FFXI, so I wanted a change of pace, so think I'm going to stick to actual weapon classes/jobs right now (at least for the battle stuff, not sure about crafting what I'll do).

Oh, and is there a hidden setting to cure the absolutely awful level-of-detail transitions in cities? It's not nearly as bad out in the wilderness, but in the city the transitions as you approach building and other structures is just horrendous.

Yea you will need to look at the leve before hand it will say which class it is designed for :p

You can switch to Bontanist by purchase a hatchet and equipping it, you can buy them from the NPC at the adventurer guild.

teiresias

Yea you will need to look at the leve before hand it will say which class it is designed for :p

You can switch to Bontanist by purchase a hatchet and equipping it, you can buy them from the NPC at the adventurer guild.

Yeah, I realized that, I just wasn't sure where to go to buy the equipment. I'll look for the NPC to buy from at the guild. I was thinking the tutorial leves were more "universal" so I figure they're meant to let me dip my toe in many different classes at the start and then focus on which of those I'd like in the beginning.

Also, when I rolled my character I had no idea what I was doing when picking the moon and sun (birthday?) and my associated gods or whatever. Do those really influence your character in any way? If not, I won't worry about it, if so, I'll reroll after finding something that tells me what all of that stuff means.

desu

Curious is she doing leves or? Wondering since I know someone struggling with solo as THM. Too fragile or something :eek:

She is leveling around Gridania (no clue if other regions are better or worse) and well with cure/protect from CNJ and the heal spell from Pugilist. Most of the time it takes her 2-4 casts to get something down, with Fires AOE effect she takes out some small groups rather fast. She is doing a lot of leves with rested exp, but also just grinding without it. She did 1-22 from friday to yesterday with me still playing my character on the same account. Ever since she got Thundara as combo spell it has gotten even more ridiculous.

I've just started and a few things are very unclear for a beginner: for example I started a fisherman Leve and didn't know that you needed a rod AND lure. Luckily I had some rat tales which I equipped on the off chance but they worked.

creid

haha.

Oh and i finally did the borderless windowed mode. runs MUCH smoother than full screen for some reason lol.
What's the screenshot button? I googled for the answer and all I ever found was people saying "just use Fraps."

Kientin

We discovered Shposhae today, looking forward to exploring it, dat new battle music in there sogood

Really enjoying the game, interesting story (great) cutscenes, and the 'grinding' doesn't feel like a chore at all, it's nice being able to switch between classes so easily, so a little bit of down time lets us cook/go fishing and we're still progressing

I think if you can appreciate a game that's a lot slower paced, and doesn't go out of it's way to explain everything to you, and can deal with a lot of jank (mainly interface) then you'll like FFXIV

Loving this for the same reason you are. As soon as I hit Shopshae and heard that music I was like, "Ok I'm exploring the crap outta this dungeon." Haha.

I'm having troubles updating the client. I know its P2P but I don't even connect to anyone. I get a time out error or someshit.

Zee-Row

Banned
How do i store items that i don't need in the inn? My inventory is almost full and my items have 100% durability and i still can't store them.

Ravidrath

How do i store items that i don't need in the inn? My inventory is almost full and my items have 100% durability and i still can't store them.

The Armoire only works for event items, like things from Christmas, Halloween, etc.

Did you get your retainers? You get two retainer NPCs to store and sell items, and each has 150 inventory.

Zee-Row

Banned
The Armoire only works for event items, like things from Christmas, Halloween, etc.

Did you get your retainers? You get two retainer NPCs to store and sell items, and each has 150 inventory.

Ah Yeah I have one retainer! i figured they only acted as mules to sell stuff.

Coldsnap

I want to form a Shposhae party for tomorrow night fun, jobs from 10-15 level. 5/24/2012 8pm EST sound good?

1 - King Lala Thm

Zee-Row

Banned
I signed off my game using the bed in the inn and when my character woke up he had a nightmare. I wonder if this is going to lead to anything story wise.

Ala Alba

Turns out I can make it after all.

I can help as either a 15 Gla, 15 Pug, ~10 Con, or ~22 Tha. Pick your poison. :)

(Or, obviously, different ones at different times.)

I want to form a Shposhae party for tomorrow night fun, jobs from 10-15 level. 5/24/2012 8pm EST sound good?

1 - King Lala Thm

I did a run through Shposhae only recently. It's a good little dungeon. The monsters range from about 15 - 20, with the named guys being a bit stronger, but the real killer is that the monsters respawn really quickly, so trying to clear out an area to progress can be very tough at lower levels. 10-15 might be bit low, unless it's a good sized party.

I'm a THM and one thing I quickly learned was that AOE spells can cause a lot of trouble, so any other mages might want to stick to single attack spells as the monsters loved running past the melee players and heading straight for me any time I cast a spell. :(

Scythian

So would anyone like to party up sometime and do a dungeon or leve quests or something? I'm 16 GLD leveling an 8 CON with 3 the rest (Archer, THM, MRD, etc.)

ZenaxPure

What level would just two people have to be to clear Shposhae?

A friend and I duo'd 2 of the bosses (Crab guy and Fish guy) in there at level 17, he was a THM and I was an Archer at the time. It's challenging but perfectly doable.

Dunno about the other guy though, we had a lot of trouble with the tight corridors. Since there was only 2 of us we could not kill mobs and (in his case keep MP high) faster than some mobs would respawn. There was a lot of times where we would make it halfway through one of the tightly packed tunnels only for him to run out of MP, or like 3 enemies randomly respawning behind us and ambush us while we were fighting other enemies.

Man just typing that reminded me how much fun that was, I'd suggest trying it, just make sure both of you have access to Cure as that is what really saved our butts.

I want to play this weekend but I'm pretty low level and actually debating starting over...I've got a lv17 marauder or something. Anyone else low enough to party it up and show me the ropes? I haven't played in like a year.

kiryogi

Banned
I want to play this weekend but I'm pretty low level and actually debating starting over...I've got a lv17 marauder or something. Anyone else low enough to party it up and show me the ropes? I haven't played in like a year.

There's tons of new folks . . . See former posts. . . I recommend you seek us! :D

What's your ingame name? (on Sargatanas right?)

Someone wanna give me a linkpearl?
IGN: Apollo Marx

Uh are you on?

Scythian

I'm a lvl17 GLD also looking for a party :p
Where are you?

Top Bottom