• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF XIV: Legacy & Welcome Back(Accounts must be registered by May 31st for Legacy!)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Also, did they change server names (or combine servers) at some point. I'm on Ragnaroc, and I don't think that was the server I was on originally.

desu

So I can't really decide what deciple of war class I should play (played Gladiator, Lancer, Pugilist, Thaumaturge, probably going to try Conjurer too). Due to time constraints like work and so on I probably play rather irregular which means solo most of the time.

Is there any class that that later has serious problems with solo leveling, or is it more or less even for all of them?

gillty

Banned
So I can't really decide what deciple of war class I should play (played Gladiator, Lancer, Pugilist, Thaumaturge, probably going to try Conjurer too). Due to time constraints like work and so on I probably play rather irregular which means solo most of the time.

Is there any class that that later has serious problems with solo leveling, or is it more or less even for all of them?
It's nice to have Cure & Protect from CON as well as Second Wind from PUG; these abilities will reduce downtime greatly, allowing for greater exp chaining and therefore faster soloing.

desu

It's nice to have Cure & Protect from CON as well as Second Wind from PUG; these abilities will reduce downtime greatly, allowing for greater exp chaining and therefore faster soloing.

I noticed this today, before I tried to exploit the extra skills buy changing weapons but that doesn't work all that well. So I saw that you can use 2 extra skills from other classes (pretty much the ones you mentioned) without actually changing class.

Is it possible to increase the number from the 2 I am allowed to use right now?

gillty

Banned
I noticed this today, before I tried to exploit the extra skills buy changing weapons but that doesn't work all that well. So I saw that you can use 2 extra skills from other classes (pretty much the ones you mentioned) without actually changing class.

As you level up you get more, I think around l15 you should get a third.

kiryogi

Banned

As you leve up you can use more. Up to a max of 5? I think. . .

Allard

As you leve up you can use more. Up to a max of 5? I think. . .

Its 10. 10 for normal classes, 5 for jobs. You get access to a new transfer skill every 5 level intervals with exception to the first 10 levels I believe access to your second skill is unlocked at lvl 10 if I remember right. For instance on my lvl 21 Lancer I have access to 4 skills right now, but it was 3 right before lvl 20.

Really enjoying the sidequests and story quests, the writing is just excellent

We're about to head off to the next camp

Is there no comprehensive place to read up on guides/quests and whatnot online? Everything I can find is really old

gillty

Banned
Really enjoying the sidequests and story quests, the writing is just excellent

We're about to head off to the next camp

Is there no comprehensive place to read up on guides/quests and whatnot online? Everything I can find is really old
General information can be found on the Lodestone Play Guide (scroll down and look in the left menu):
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/cont01.html

Various News Articles on Lodestone, like this one on Materia:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=a77a38bf2dcace0c49921ea5e673ad91d4928cb4

Patch Notes which often detail new systems:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/140

Sidequest Guide:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/30891-Kai-Crystallis-Presents-Sidequest-Guide

Riposte

If you guys like the writing you should go back and check out the old lodestone "newspaper" articles attached to the grand company pages.

Kientin

I will be sticking around and signing up for 90 days to get the legacy price. However, I'm not sure how much I'll be playing during those 90 days (and beyond). It seems like everyone is near level cap, which means I have to solo... which isn't fun. Come 2.0 I expect that to change, but that's not going to happen until next year.

Do any players in the GAF LS have jobs between 16 and 26 that they want to level?

I got an Archer at 22. I would love to party with you, but looks like we really haven't caught each other on. Maybe we can set something up, my times are somewhat chaotic at times though.

Lucent

I saw this was $8 on Amazon and I was wondering if I should bite and sometime down the road before the end of the year pay for the 3 months to lock in Legacy price and then stop until the PS3 version is out. I actually don't have a computer that can really run this just yet so I couldn't even put time in it. I just think that 2.0 might end up being good.

Azriell

I wonder if that has to do with the separation of chat from the log. That was one of the first things I noticed in the UI that's different from FFXI- which was a pretty talkative game. Chat almost feels out of the way.

I've wondered the same thing. I find myself watching the battle log the most when out of town, although I do glance at general as well. The other day someone stopped to ask if I was someone he knew from XI. I barely saw the text, because I was in combat and with default filters there is just enough text flow in the general log for it to go right on by.

I've since considered merging everything into one box, and stretching it across the length of the bottom, like XI. I just haven't yet decided what to do with the rest of the UI.

On a side note is there anyway to make the battle log fade/minimize when not in combat? I find it so annoying that I can't spam Circle and minimize the chat like you can in XI.

kiryogi

Banned
I've wondered the same thing. I find myself watching the battle log the most when out of town, although I do glance at general as well. The other day someone stopped to ask if I was someone he knew from XI. I barely saw the text, because I was in combat and with default filters there is just enough text flow in the general log for it to go right on by.

I've since considered merging everything into one box, and stretching it across the length of the bottom, like XI. I just haven't yet decided what to do with the rest of the UI.

On a side note is there anyway to make the battle log fade/minimize when not in combat? I find it so annoying that I can't spam Circle and minimize the chat like you can in XI.

You can set up a 2nd log window. I usually have one for battle and one for chat.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Question: I did the first quest for the Immortal Flames, the 2nd one "Kindling a Flame" sounds like I'll join them. Do I do a slew of quest for each Grand Company before I join one?

kiryogi

Banned
Question: I did the first quest for the Immortal Flames, the 2nd one "Kindling a Flame" sounds like I'll join them. Do I do a slew of quest for each Grand Company before I join one?

Yes, you'll know when it's time to join. You'll need to hear all 3 specches.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
yesd2y9y.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=D-yu6hspcjQ#t=20s

cruets

I know you guys are on a different server, but I was wondering if there were any people from GAF on Durandal.

I'm on Durandal since that's where ffxi ls had planned to play on back at launch. still hoping they reappear when 2.0 launches. couldn't entice any of them to check out welcome back campaign with Diablo 3 out.

Riposte

Turns I was wrong in thinking yesterday was the last day lol... I swore that the banner on the Welcome Back! campaign said the 19th. In any case, back into the fight.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How in the world such an easily implemented thing live level synching didn't get put into XIV is mind boggling. It was such a big deal in keeping FFXI relevant.

I picked this up and started playing over the weekend but I haven't seen anyone from here yet to get a pearl. Will anyone be on later tonight (in about 3 hours) who could help me out? Character name Ptolemy Ura

kiryogi

Banned
Just FYI for those looking for a pearl. . . I'm usually on 12:30AM until some crazy time of morning pacific time standard. I've also been making an effort to log in right before work around 12:00PM to catch any newbies/chat. Otherwise, you can find me @ more sane times on Tues/Weds

Riposte

How in the world such an easily implemented thing live level synching didn't get put into XIV is mind boggling. It was such a big deal in keeping FFXI relevant.

It certainly made leveling up more boring in FFXI (turned dozens of camps into 2-4 camps), but it is was definitely a great feature. I want them to implement it, but hopefully in moderation.

Personally I want optional level caps for quests. That and more companions to use in everyday play. MMOs should be team management games like JRPG/WRPGs...

Chris R

I've spent about an hour playing an archer, am I missing something or is it just levequest after levequest? Did the first batch from the desert town but now it looks like I can just do them again or try to do the level 10 ones, even though I'm only level 7. Thought the game had added more stuff but this seems quite a bit like the beta still to me. Maybe I'm just missing something but the game doesn't spell things out very well at all :p

Also, how the hell do I use a potion? Found a chest that had some in it (took me a while to see that I didn't get them automatically, but rather I had to go into a sub menu to actually loot them) but nothing I did allowed me to "drink" the potion from my inventory menu.

desu

Also, how the hell do I use a potion? Found a chest that had some in it (took me a while to see that I didn't get them automatically, but rather I had to go into a sub menu to actually loot them) but nothing I did allowed me to "drink" the potion from my inventory menu.

Press U, brings up a menu to consume potions and other stuff that can be consumed.

Caelestis

I've spent about an hour playing an archer, am I missing something or is it just levequest after levequest? Did the first batch from the desert town but now it looks like I can just do them again or try to do the level 10 ones, even though I'm only level 7. Thought the game had added more stuff but this seems quite a bit like the beta still to me. Maybe I'm just missing something but the game doesn't spell things out very well at all :p
There is also a story quest that you can do and quests from NPCs in the town. As you level up new quests open up for you to do.

Riposte

The welcome back campaign is finally over. Lodestone no longer refers to it. I think this thread ended up doing more than I'd planned, but at least it has been useful.

SE clarified on the Legacy campaign:

We have received questions from the community regarding when they need to begin playing FINAL FANTASY XIV if they wish to qualify for the Legacy Campaign.

In order to fulfill the requirements for the Legacy Campaign, a player must register his/her copy of the game no later than Thursday, May 31, 2012, and have subscribed for a minimum of 90 days beyond the conclusion of your free trial period.

Information regarding the transition from the current game to version 2.0 will be announced on the Lodestone in the future.

So yeah. May 31st is the cut off if you want to get in on legacy. Kind of big news. (After May 31st it would be best if this thread died out and anyone who wants to discuss the game should do so in the OT in Community.)

Welcome Back campaign cut out around 1am PST (one hour later). So I thought I could hang in game until I logged off. I went on a darkhold run with the GAF LS and in the middle of it I was unexpectedly booted with a message which clearly explained that the free period was over. Given it was in the middle of the run, I went for an epic maneuver and resubbed with some left over "crysta". Took 2 minutes. This was a bit earlier than I had hoped, but I found it pretty amusing. Turning on the spot resubbing into an endgame tactic.

We don't need to have subscribed by May 31st, just have it registered, correct? Meaning, I picked up a new copy over the weekend and I will be in my free trial period until Mid-June. But as long as I subscribe 90 days after that (and before 2.0), I'll qualify, right?

Riposte

We don't need to have subscribed by May 31st, just have it registered, correct? Meaning, I picked up a new copy over the weekend and I will be in my free trial period until Mid-June. But as long as I subscribe 90 days after that (and before 2.0), I'll qualify, right?

That appears to be the case, yes. The 90 days subscription must still be made before the 2.0 beta phase I imagine.

That appears to be the case, yes. The 90 days subscription must still be made before the 2.0 beta phase I imagine.

Ok just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly. Assuming I continue to have fun for the rest of the free month I will definitely sub for 90 days.

Other than the sluggish menu system im enjoying this game more than I expected. I'm currently lvling up a Conjurer (16) and thaumaturge (10)

Sofo

Every time I log in, I ask if anyone is partying. I don't generally get a response. If I do get a response, it's high-level jobs. If that's not the case, I apologize, but I can only go by what I've experienced.

Unfortunately, I won't have time to log in today or tomorrow, and Monday may be busy as well, but I'll be online and I'll keep trying.

I've basically just partied twice, and my main is level 30. There was a ton of people this weekend doing from 10-15 as well as from 26-30.

Basically you can solo all the way to 30, and then it's even easier to find parties. Overall, RedDot is very (I'd say extremely) helpful with newbies. o: I was suprised tbh.

Coldsnap

In order to fulfill the requirements for the Legacy Campaign, a player must register his/her copy of the game no later than Thursday, May 31, 2012, and have subscribed for a minimum of 90 days beyond the conclusion of your free trial period.

What do they mean by register copy of the game? where can I check to see if I meet this requirement? I can't really remember how I got this gameback when it launched. I think a neogaf member gave me a guest pass and I used my friends disc to download the installer. So technically I never bought the game but still able to play.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'll only be playing during this week (sadly :<) but if you see me around, say hello! I'm Lissar Loredia and I'm on GAF's server.

Allard

What do they mean by register copy of the game? where can I check to see if I meet this requirement? I can't really remember how I got this gameback when it launched. I think a neogaf member gave me a guest pass and I used my friends disc to download the installer. So technically I never bought the game but still able to play.

If you are playing the game, you are registered. They put that warning in for the people who have yet to buy the game but want legacy status they need to register the game before that date, the reason being when you register you get 30 day free trial before billing commences so it takes 120 days of cumulative game time to get legacy status if you are a new player. Basically it sounds like they are expecting 'beta' to happen at the end of September/beginning of October.

Coldsnap

If you are playing the game, you are registered. They put that warning in for the people who have yet to buy the game but want legacy status they need to register the game before that date, the reason being when you register you get 30 day free trial before billing commences so it takes 120 days of cumulative game time to get legacy status if you are a new player. Basically it sounds like they are expecting 'beta' to happen at the end of September/beginning of October.

Ahh gotcha thanks

DrDogg

I've basically just partied twice, and my main is level 30. There was a ton of people this weekend doing from 10-15 as well as from 26-30.

Basically you can solo all the way to 30, and then it's even easier to find parties. Overall, RedDot is very (I'd say extremely) helpful with newbies. o: I was suprised tbh.

That's the problem, I absolutely can't stand soloing. I know I'm in the minority, but I loved the "forced" party system of FFXI. If I have to solo to 30 on all of my classes, you won't see me playing much until 2.0. It's just not fun for me. My highest class is 26 and I don't even want to solo that to 30. lol

desu

Well THM seems to be like the fastest class to level solo, my GF is pretty much leveling up in her sleep (or while reading), and just easily walking through enemies that are higher than her level (at least from 1-22).

Top Bottom