• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF XIV: Legacy & Welcome Back(Accounts must be registered by May 31st for Legacy!)

kuroshiki

i can log in now and trade u some gils
if no more takers tomorrow you can have them all

are you on gaf's linkshell?
try asking if anyone wants to pt in it?
i'll show u where to get retainer when i'm on

well the lag speed is part of the atrocious launch everyone talked about
and not many survived :p
it's quite an achievement the improvements they've made since then actually

I need to sleep badly so I can't do it right now. I have no linkshell but in sar server.

And heavens I feel sorry for people who played since beta. That's some dedication right there.

kuroshiki

Retainers are NPCs you use to put items up for sell in the game's marketplace or just as extra storage. You get them from a NPC in the tavern/adventurer's guild. You don't really "buy" them though. The Armoire is mainly used to store "one of a kind" event or quest items so they don't take up much room.

If you don't have a LS or three to lay back on, it is best to make your way to Ul'dah once partying and shopping becomes important.

At this point I'll be happy to just get rid of old gear.

and I'm at that ulala city.

ah ok, maybe tomorrow
gaf's LS is called Red Dot
i forgot who you can contact to join though

LS is full. Thanks, though.

Riposte

We should just oust the ancient forever-gone members.

If they want to join again, it would be a simple matter to give them a pearl again.

Riposte

128, and that requires them being online to oust.

They didn't change that? I thought they did. That's a shame. I guess we'll be remaking the shell soon since it isn't likely all the new people from the "Welcome Back" campaign will be sticking around for good.

i can log in now and trade u some gils
if no more takers tomorrow you can have them all

are you on gaf's linkshell?
try asking if anyone wants to pt in it?
i'll show u where to get retainer when i'm on

well the lag speed is part of the atrocious launch everyone talked about
and not many survived :p
it's quite an achievement the improvements they've made since then actually

If you still have the gil i would like some i'm in the LS name Aroes Redfiend thanks.

desu

General question about drops. Am I supposed to just sell off all the crystals, ores and whatever material I find to NPCs or are people actually looking for this kind stuff (which means I could make more money off it).

Also the whole selling thing, do I really have no click through 100 players and check them all out individually? Or are peopel trading on forums or whatever?

Also, are there any level guides?

I found this while reading about the game: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-s-*NEW*-SOLO-GUIDE-LOCATIONS-MORE-Ranks-1-50 but apprently its outdated through all the recent patches?

General question about drops. Am I supposed to just sell off all the crystals, ores and whatever material I find to NPCs or are people actually looking for this kind stuff (which means I could make more money off it).

Also the whole selling thing, do I really have no click through 100 players and check them all out individually? Or are peopel trading on forums or whatever?

Also, are there any level guides?

I found this while reading about the game: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-s-*NEW*-SOLO-GUIDE-LOCATIONS-MORE-Ranks-1-50 but apprently its outdated through all the recent patches?

I think there's some sort of search function in each marketplace that let's you look through peoples wares easier, or maybe I remember wrong?

Bulzeeb

this game should go free to play so I might actually play it because the game doesn't convince me to pay a monthly fee for it

Zee-Row

Banned
Is this an issue with my video card? Everytime I go near the Adventuer's guild the game will kind of freeze for a second or 2 and then get a little laggy once I enter. Then it takes around 10 seconds for all the players and NPCs to load up in the room.

Is this an issue with my video card? Everytime I go near the Adventuer's guild the game will kind of freeze for a second or 2 and then get a little laggy once I enter. Then it takes around 10 seconds for all the players and NPCs to load up in the room.

I get this quite often, not just in the adventurers guild either, but in larger populated areas, and after instances and whatnot

I figure it's something that will improve after 2.0

gillty

Banned
That would be the current engines server/client rendering limitations, which like most things should be addressed in 2.0.

Rootbeer

Banned
Pretty much every complaint I have seen levied against this game has had the response of "should be fixed in 2.0." 2.0 has a lot to live up to and I hope it will deliver. I'll pay for 90 days as planned, including the stupid character slot fee. After that i'm waiting it out. I want to love this game, but so far... definitely not.

Boss Man

So I am actually able to "play" with my integrated Intel card, much to my surprise. When I say "play", I mean the game runs. It looks like I'm trying to run Crysis on a PS1 though. Absolute lowest settings and getting about 0.5 FPS. I was able to create a character with decent settings on though, so I got a guy on Sargatanas in case they close it up. Will probably just sub my 3 months and wait for 2.0 now.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
^

Wait I can run this shit.... WAT?!, on my budget laptop?

Need to know, I'll drop 8 dollars for slideshow access

Riposte

I'm hoping to get the final DRG quest done today. I might be leveling a few 14-20 classes at leves (and leves alone). Connect me with me in game if you are interested or want to help.

Pretty much every complaint I have seen levied against this game has had the response of "should be fixed in 2.0." 2.0 has a lot to live up to and I hope it will deliver. I'll pay for 90 days as planned, including the stupid character slot fee. After that i'm waiting it out. I want to love this game, but so far... definitely not.

Most the complaints seem to be centered on UI and engine limitations. Aside from a big change in content, those are the two main adjustments of the relaunch. People shouldn't hype 2.0 too much though. With this thread I mainly tried to shape a fair image for what the game is right now for those on the fence (have little interest in convincing anyone who doesn't like the game to begin with).

Boss Man

^

Wait I can run this shit.... WAT?! on my budget laptop?
Again, it's not playable at all. It was enough to make my character and very difficultly get through the tutorial. It took over 30 minutes between loading and sludging through the framerate (got a full 1-2 second delay on input) just to get through the tiny introduction. And this was with graphics literally looking like a PS1 game, no exaggeration.

Creating a character wasn't as big of an issue though. I was able to use decent/standard settings and make my character. There was a bit of lag depending on how high I set it, but it was not too bad to work with.

But no, don't take my post as meaning that you will actually be able to play the game. I bought it because it was so cheap on Amazon, and decided to install it just to see what happened. I'm happy that I was able to make my character on the Gaf server, and I have a friend who might run my character through the resting EXP quest so I can get some levels on a crafting class or something while I wait for the PS3 version.

I need to figure out how to get outside of Ul'dah though. Maybe if I managed to chop through to an outdoors area it might be possible to do something.

Cmagus

So we have a second LS set up right now because the other one was full.I have been getting alot of pms for people asking to join.I will redirect you not to just contacting one of the leaders listed in the op for a pearl as I won't be on much for a little bit.

Yeah, 2.0 has been the magic pill touted by the development team and I do think some people are going to get burned by it(mostly those who don't pay attention to when they say "we can't consider doing this until after 2.0" or "we plan to look into this after 2.0" instead of "this will be in with 2.0").

But as aforementioned, the new director has largely kept his promises since he took over XIV and delivered content/functionality at the time he said it would come to the old client, so there's at least decent reason to be optimistic on how 2.0 will deliver.

Plus, this old client is so awful it just makes logical sense that many fundamental changes/quality of life additions can't make it in until it's replaced.

DrDogg

I will be sticking around and signing up for 90 days to get the legacy price. However, I'm not sure how much I'll be playing during those 90 days (and beyond). It seems like everyone is near level cap, which means I have to solo... which isn't fun. Come 2.0 I expect that to change, but that's not going to happen until next year.

Do any players in the GAF LS have jobs between 16 and 26 that they want to level?

Zomba13

I will be sticking around and signing up for 90 days to get the legacy price. However, I'm not sure how much I'll be playing during those 90 days (and beyond). It seems like everyone is near level cap, which means I have to solo... which isn't fun. Come 2.0 I expect that to change, but that's not going to happen until next year.

Do any players in the GAF LS have jobs between 16 and 26 that they want to level?

I've got a PGL at 23 which I want to lvl.

kiryogi

Banned

How many times do I have to say that right now there's a ton of newbies you can play with? Only the vets are capped. Right now with the influx of new players, there's ton of low leveled people you can party with.

The low level leve camps are buzzing with activity at the moment

Though I do agree that no one seems to talk, at all. I guess LS communities make it seem that way

Cmagus

The low level leve camps are buzzing with activity at the moment

Though I do agree that no one seems to talk, at all. I guess LS communities make it seem that way

If your on Sargatanas you'll find there are alot of Japanese players.Saronia who merged with us had many so if no one is talking they may not understand you that is all.

Riposte

You might be overestimating how many people have everything at cap...

Chris R

Updates finally done, but what I need to do to register stuff is confusing as hell. Do I get a free month? What EXACTLY do I need to do to ensure that I'm a legacy member? I see mention that it needs to be 3 months, but I don't even see an option to add any play time (or if i have free play time) on my account page.

And there is no info about which server neogaf is on in the OP.

kiryogi

Banned
Updates finally done, but what I need to do to register stuff is confusing as hell. Do I get a free month? What EXACTLY do I need to do to ensure that I'm a legacy member? I see mention that it needs to be 3 months, but I don't even see an option to add any play time (or if i have free play time) on my account page.

And there is no info about which server neogaf is on in the OP.

Final Fantasy XIV on NeoGAF
-Here is the (very outdated) OT which houses our regular players and most of the discussion on the game.
-NeoGAF's official linkshell (clan/guild/chatroom) "Red Dot II" is located on the Sargatanas server and always welcomes new players from NeoGAF. Dudes checking back in for the 10 days only should be no exception.
Originally Posted by kiryogi: View Post
Make sure to roll on Sargatanas!

Then msg either Eithne Rain (me!), Rin Morikaze, Calm Wind, Jinko Jinko, Eight Corova, Nagisa Kamiya, Kyudo Kyohon, Firon Veleth, oor Mjunter Elhunter for a pearl into the GAF Linkshell :D

^

Boss Man

I wonder if that has to do with the separation of chat from the log. That was one of the first things I noticed in the UI that's different from FFXI- which was a pretty talkative game. Chat almost feels out of the way.

DrDogg

How many times do I have to say that right now there's a ton of newbies you can play with? Only the vets are capped. Right now with the influx of new players, there's ton of low leveled people you can party with.

Every time I log in, I ask if anyone is partying. I don't generally get a response. If I do get a response, it's high-level jobs. If that's not the case, I apologize, but I can only go by what I've experienced.

Unfortunately, I won't have time to log in today or tomorrow, and Monday may be busy as well, but I'll be online and I'll keep trying.

Ixian

I wonder if that has to do with the separation of chat from the log. That was one of the first things I noticed in the UI that's different from FFXI- which was a pretty talkative game. Chat almost feels out of the way.
Not to mention that in FFXI, unless you were a caster you had so few abilities to manage that it was really easy to talk during the middle of combat (at least until higher levels, where you had high enough haste that you were popping off weapon skills every few seconds :p).

desu

In the neogaf link pearl or in general on the server?

I've started last thursday evening, Ive been leveling most of the deciple of war jobs to 10 to get a feeling what Imight like, I played in the camps around Limosa/Uldah and I watched my GF playing in Gridania and if I had to guess I saw ~10-15 people actually leveling there. So I don't know really ...

Anyway I might join the link pearl too. Trying to get lvl30 whenever I have decided what I like to play (so never :D).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Playing for a week, i've noticed two things...

The same Mithra Hairstyle that was popular in FFXI is all over the place in FFXIV (and I'm thrilled I didn't pick it for my toon this time).

Seems like 1/3 of the player base has a Game of Thrones last name, and like half of those are "snow".

Top Bottom