• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ffVII: AC invited to be shown at venice film festival (Theatrical release ahead?)

neptunes

Yahoo Finance

LOS ANGELES, July 30 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix), a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment content including the world-renowned franchises FINAL FANTASY®, and DRAGON QUEST (DRAGON WARRIOR® in North America), today announced that they will screen a special preview edition of the upcoming FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN at the 61st Venice International Film Festival, September 1st through 11th in Venice, Italy. FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN is a direct-to-DVD CG-animated sequel to FINAL FANTASY VII, one of the best-selling PlayStation® video games of all time.

FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN will be shown as part of "Venezia Digitale," the new digital image category of the Venice International Film Festival. This category is intended to provide an overview of the new expressive possibilities granted by the new digital technologies and only feature-length films made using digital technology and never publicly screened outside their country of origin and in Italy will be presented. Since the product is still in development, a special preview will be screened at the festival.

"We are honored to be a part of Venezia Digitale, this exciting new category that highlights the values of innovation and artistry of digital imagery," said director Tetsuya Nomura. "As we continually strive to create digital entertainment that pushes the boundaries of technology and art, we welcome the opportunity to become a part of the world cinema community through the Venice International Film Festival."

dps0730-004_1.jpg

dps0730-001_1.jpg

dps0730-003_1.jpg

Nomura must be very happy, for such a small project to develop and gain this much exposure must have exceeded their expectations.

it's like they arent even botheirng with the lube to screw FFVII fans over every which way.
they are doing everything but a remake/release. bastards. BTW, what happened to tifa's boobs? she get a reduction?

neptunes

evil solrac v3.0 said:
it's like they arent even botheirng with the lube to screw FFVII fans over every which way.
they are doing everything but a remake/release. bastards. BTW, what happened to tifa's boobs? she get a reduction?

but making this is only fraction of what the funds needed to make a remake or sequel.

especially when it is done by their own fmv house.

neptunes said:
but making this is only fraction of what the funds needed to make a remake or sequel.

especially when it is done by their own fmv house.

i dont wanna hear that until i see some official numbers. and tell me one thing, what would sell more? a remake/update/upgrade of FFVII or a 90 minute movie of said game?

neptunes

what about the turn-around profit?

this is just a way to turn come quick/cheap profit.

EDIT: I think a movie would sell a little seeing as how anybody can watch it.

WarPig

evil solrac v3.0 said:
i dont wanna hear that until i see some official numbers. and tell me one thing, what would sell more? a remake/update/upgrade of FFVII or a 90 minute movie of said game?

The question is not "what would sell more," it's "what would make more money." Consider the insane price of movies and animation on DVD in Japan -- I expect a copy of Advent Children will cost more than 5,000 yen. It'll cost far less to make than a game, and they can sell it for almost the same price. And then the profits roll in.

DFS.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
WarPig said:
The question is not "what would sell more," it's "what would make more money." Consider the insane price of movies and animation on DVD in Japan -- I expect a copy of Advent Children will cost more than 5,000 yen. It'll cost far less to make than a game, and they can sell it for almost the same price. And then the profits roll in.

DFS.
Definitely. Advent Children will go for 5,000 - 6,000 yen (with 6,000 being the more likely number, IMO).

jiggle

dps0730-001_1.jpg

Looks like the result of the battle didn't end in her favor. What better way to welcome back Aeris than to knock off the current love interest.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Did they change cloud's face because he looks different (dare I say better ?) than when they showed FFAC for the first time ?

If Square somehow managed to secure a wide theatrical release for this in the U.S. and Japan, I'll bet it'd make more money than The Spirits Within.

Meier

Howl's Moving Castle (Miyazaki) is in competition at Venice.. and Steamboy (Otomo) is one of the film's playing out of competition in the spotlight section. Quite a year for anime at Venice!

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Meier said:
Howl's Moving Castle (Miyazaki) is in competition at Venice.. and Steamboy (Otomo) is one of the film's playing out of competition in the spotlight section. Quite a year for anime at Venice!

And GITS2:Innocence was in competition at Cannes. It's a good year for anime all around the world.

Top Bottom