• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth: PS5 Pro vs PS5 - A Vast Improvement At 60FPS

bender

What time is it?
At least we don't have anymore team fake holdouts.
SlWZwOZ.gif

sachos

So so far we have 3 games running with better IQ than base Fidelity mode at 60FPS on the Pro. TLoU2, Ratchet (worse edge aliasing but better motion imo) and now FF7RR.

Reactions: Isa

ap_puff

Neo Member
You are assuming that all resolution images are equal, and obviously 1080p will never be low resolution.

A quality 1080p render with twice or more the amount of complex detail you normally associate with 1080p feeding FSR will produce noticeably better results because there is more detail in the source to guide the reconstruction at a large size. I don't think you quite understand the tech if you think source resolution is the only factor for upscaling with better quality
Lol no, because the amount of fizzling and pixel shimmering in fine details below 1440p source is SIGNIFICANT. Like, you can't miss it type significant.

no it will be much cleaner on my PC for sure as I wouldn't have to use any up scaling BS that makes the image even the slightest bit blurry as it does here on pro still ,but also I don't have to buy a $700 ps5 pro ( even though I will :messenger_astonished: ) .
So if I am going to play it through again I much rather do it on my PC .

also I never said there wasn't any difference. Just making up things now because your feelings are hurt. :messenger_loudly_crying:
You'd have to be a total moron not to take advantage of DLSS on a PC if using an Nvidia GPU. Not only does it improve frame rate, but a good amount of the time It can look better than native resolution because of how it cleans up the overall image with DLAA included.

Note, not directly calling you a moron, but a general statement for PC gaming.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's amazing and all.
But...you know...
$700 is a deal breaker.
Just get an RTX 5070 Super at that point.
*If you care about PC gaming and have a decent gaming PC to put it in
*If you care to wait until who knows when for the 5000 series cards
*If you don't care about missing out on games like Astrobot and other Sony first party titles

Then sure

*If you care about PC gaming and have a decent gaming PC to put it in
*If you care to wait until who knows when for the 5000 series cards
*If you don't care about missing out on games like Astrobot and other Sony first party titles

Then sure
I care about brutefuck-forcing games to play 4k/60-120fps. So I will procure the 5090(Ti). Even minesweeper gets the royal treatment in my future rig. :messenger_relieved:

Kangx

This is the leak that I was talking about from MLIB regarding to PSSR version just update recently from 9.0 to 9.4 due to image quality issue.

If this game has not release yet and it is developing concurrently with the base Ps5 not just patch in and it seems to be. I believe it.

Although if they are to use PSSR obviously the resolutions going to drop much closer to the base ps5. Maybe a bit closer to 1440 and use upsample from PSSR to get the 4k like image.

Last edited:
That's amazing and all.
But...you know...
$700 is a deal breaker.
Just get an RTX 5070 Super at that point.
Oh cool, I can run games on just a RTX 5070?

People need to stop making such poor comparisons. Don't assume most PS5 owners even have a proper gaming PC where a simple GPU upgrade is even possible. I have a PC from 2011 that has a 4 core i5 2300 CPU lol. I only recently bought a new Laptop for work purposes, but its a Samsung Galaxy Book and not made for gaming.

Hunnybun

That was never the point of the Pro. Its been clear, and now even more so, that the main thing in the Pro is PSSR.

Sony, cannot do anything about the devs that choose to build their performance modes at sub 1080p resolutions. In those cases, we will get a slight rez bump and PSSR will do the rest. Its not ideal, but that would be better than whatever the performance mode was on the base console.Thats the point of the PS5pro. To make performance mode better or as good as fidelity mode but running at 60fps.

And think about that, you see those games whose performance mode is running at sub 1080p? Their fidelity modes are usually running at sub 1440p too. They are just bad-performing all around.

Your issue here is with the devs, not with Sony, gains like what you are hoping would need a GPU that is at leas 2 - 3x more powerful. How much do you think that would cost?

Yeah, I don't really give a shit WHY those games run at very low res. What I was asking was whether PSSR will do a good job WITH those low resolutions. That's basically the point of the console, really, given that the vast majority of the games that need IQ improvement have that issue. And we still don't know the answer.

This is the stuff I've been needing to see.

No kidding. And a third of that presentation was talking about base PS5. Few minutes of Pro talk and then laid that price bomb on everyone. No shit folks didn't react well.

I don't understand it either how they fucked up the reveal of this console.

Did they just grab a bum off the street and have them put together a presentation for the Pro? Because that's what it feels like. It can't be deliberate because no one wants negative media exposure especially on new products.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Did they just grab a bum off the street and have them put together a presentation for the Pro? Because that's what it feels like. It can't be deliberate because no one wants negative media exposure especially on new products.
Honestly I feel they just wanted the price out there so when they start showing games the news will be about the games and not the $700

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah, I don't really give a shit WHY those games run at very low res. What I was asking was whether PSSR will do a good job WITH those low resolutions. That's basically the point of the console, really, given that the vast majority of the games that need IQ improvement have that issue. And we still don't know the answer.
So what I have said is unchanged. Yes, that is it will. And we will know for certain when we see such games and running with PSSR. But one thing for certain is this, it WILL look better than whatever they would look like on the base console.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Imo opinion the "reveal" is ongoing and being drip fed to us in typical Sony fashion either first hand or through 3rd party developers Sony has instructed when/how to release new info. If you're not convinced by what's shown leading up to the time pre orders go live, then I would say it's fine to be #concerned or frustrated if you're genuinely interested in the product at all; because remember this is a niche, halo product not necessarily for the avg consumer.

I disagree. It's called sandbagging and Sony seems fond of this approach.

Imo opinion the "reveal" is ongoing and being drip fed to us in typical Sony fashion either first hand or through 3rd party developers Sony has instructed when/how to release new info. If you're not convinced by what's shown leading up to the time pre orders go live, then I would say it's fine to be #concerned or frustrated if you're genuinely interested in the product at all; because remember this is a niche, halo product not necessarily for the avg consumer.

I disagree. It's called sandbagging and Sony seems fond of this approach.

I'm very interested and the price doesn't affect me. I can afford this thing but I do expect there to be a presentation showing me exactly what I'm getting for for that price.

I had to google what sandbagging was and honestly dont know what to think of such a strategy. Either way I'm not yet fully bought into a Pro yet because we seem to be getting more remasters of PS4 stuff which is really off putting. I'll just patiently wait for whatever new AAA stuff that's not remakes or remasters from previous gens.

Hunnybun

So what I have said is unchanged. Yes, that is it will. And we will know for certain when we see such games and running with PSSR. But one thing for certain is this, it WILL look better than whatever they would look like on the base console.

How do you know it will (do a good job)?

You just seem to be taking it on faith. I'm not saying it won't. I'm just saying we haven't seen good evidence that it will. Upscaling from 720p - from what I understand - isn't that great via DLSS, so not sure why it should be with PSSR.

hinch7

PS5 (OG) will remain the dominant console over the next few years. I don't think third parties are willing to show their games in bad light.

Topher

Gold Member

I see more negative talk about it online because a lot of folks wrote the Pro off after the price reveal. Now they have a mountain to climb.

Honestly I feel they just wanted the price out there so when they start showing games the news will be about the games and not the $700

Yeah, we talked about that and I think that would have been fine had they had some detailed examples already lined up. That nine minute video just wasn't enough, imo. Sony half-assed it and I think that was a mistake.

But.....it doesn't matter now. I'm glad folks like DF have mostly positive things to say because I was about to say to hell with the Pro myself. It will be interesting to see how hard it is to preorder this next week.

Mr.Phoenix

How do you know it will (do a good job)?

You just seem to be taking it on faith. I'm not saying it won't. I'm just saying we haven't seen good evidence that it will. Upscaling from 720p - from what I understand - isn't that great via DLSS, so not sure why it should be with PSSR.
Taking what on faith... sigh. You are eager to argue that you are not taking the time to read and understand.

I never said "it will do a good job"

I said "it will look better than whatever we currently have on the base model"

That is just facts.

I don't know how much better it would look, which is why I said "we would know for certain when we see such games running with PSSR".

But facts, is that any PSSR, is better than any FSR that we have been using thus far.

I don't have high expectations for the next State of Play but I wouldn't be surprised to see a big one coming from one of their studios like Sucker Punch with the Ghost of Tsushima sequel.

In terms of communication just before the opening of pre-orders for the PRO, it would make sense now that the price announcement has been made to rekindle positive enthusiasm around PlayStation with the reveal of a big new game.

Fbh

Gold Member
Yeah that's definitely a massive improvement.
Still don't get why the performance mode on OG PS5 looks so bad though, it's supposed to be running above 1080p but it looks blurry as fuck even on my small phone screen

The pro is too expensive for me, but it paints an exciting future for consoles IMO. Hopefully PSSR and future iterations of the tech become a standard feature on all Sony consoles moving forward

DavidGzz

PS5 is the new series S. I mean, it has been since I got my new PC but now even in the console only world that shit is blurry af!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Own opinion?? If someone decides that getting an opinion from static images is sufficient and correct to determine the IQ of a game in times where scaling and ML formulas have been used for a long time... it is simply because they do not know how these work.

Not to mention that entering to give my opinion is questioning and casting doubt on DF's direct impressions, which have much more basis than anyone else here.
I suppose that for those who, like you, hate DF as a source, it is not a problem to question them🤷
Bro, you wrote so many things without answering my question.

So I'll ask again: In your opinion, which image looks better and clearer? The right one or the middle one?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ok. This is the first time I've seen a huge bump in quality as in I might jump in. If its this good for FF7, I can only imagine GTA6.
Like Oliver says. This is a huge bump in quality COMPARED to the standard ps5 output.

The standard ps5 output is a vaseline smeared piece of blurry shit.

Rockstar would need to do ps4 pro red dead 2 levels of fuckery to come close to this. Their games are nearly always as clean as anything so hopefully the standard console ports look much better than the mess square managed with ps5s ffvii

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Like Oliver says. This is a huge bump in quality COMPARED to the standard ps5 output.

The standard ps5 output is a vaseline smeared piece of blurry shit.

Rockstar would need to do ps4 pro red dead 2 levels of fuckery to come close to this. Their games are nearly always as clean as anything so hopefully the standard console ports look much better than the mess square managed with ps5s ffvii

Isn't this good though? Now you can guarantee a huge jump in IQ even in extreme cases like FF7. It just proves that PSSR works

Gemes with clean IQ and stable performance might benefit from the extra power differetly by adding RT effects, cleaning the IQ even more..etc

Which is exactly what Cerny delivered in the presentation.

Top Bottom