• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth: PS5 Pro vs PS5 - A Vast Improvement At 60FPS

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Recommend everyone (that can) watch the new video on Last Stand Media with Colin Moriarty having a chat with Tom from Moore's Law is Dead. Tom goes into some insider details on the PS5 Pro explaining just how powerful this unit truly is, and how people complaining about it's lack of CPU power are talking shit! It truly is a great watch as this guy knows his shit.
Why do we need anyone to tell us that? It’s a mid-tier GPU and you’re out there acting like it’s secretly a PS6.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Recommend everyone (that can) watch the new video on Last Stand Media with Colin Moriarty having a chat with Tom from Moore's Law is Dead. Tom goes into some insider details on the PS5 Pro explaining just how powerful this unit truly is, and how people complaining about it's lack of CPU power are talking shit! It truly is a great watch as this guy knows his shit.
We have had people on this very forum know devs with it in hand for awhile now and tell people this very thing to not judge it based on specs and wait to see it perform

Sipping Over It GIF by Insecure on HBO

MacReady13

Clearly, you know what a hyperbole is. Point is, it doesn't have some super duper secret power that no one is suspecting.
OK so what point are you trying to make exactly? I'm saying the PS5 Pro will be better/more powerful than what many clowns are saying it will NOT be, and you're trying to say what exactly...?

I mean, are you trying to dunk on people wanting a Pro? Do you want people to get a PC instead? Wait for the PS6? Laugh at people upgrading? What point it is you are trying to make by questioning/lampooning what I wrote?

Gaiff

OK so what point are you trying to make exactly? I'm saying the PS5 Pro will be better/more powerful than what many clowns are saying it will NOT be, and you're trying to say what exactly...?

I mean, are you trying to dunk on people wanting a Pro? Do you want people to get a PC instead? Wait for the PS6? Laugh at people upgrading? What point it is you are trying to make by questioning/lampooning what I wrote?
No, I’m saying it’s a mid-tier GPU and we don’t need anyone to tell us how "truly powerful it is". We’ve known for months and what we’ve seen so far is in line with what those of us who actually know how hardware works expected.

So MLID can surprise the idiots all he wants. He won’t surprise anyone who bothered doing their research.

The one wild card was always PSSR.

Last edited:

MacReady13

No, I’m saying it’s a mid-tier GPU and we don’t need anyone to tell us how "truly powerful it is". We’ve known for months and what we’ve seen so far is in line with what those of us who actually know how hardware works expected.

So MLID can surprise the idiots all he wants. He won’t surprise anyone who bothered doing their research.

Well he certainly surprised this idiot cause from all the chatter online, the Pro seemed like a joke of an upgrade. Considering what I'm paying for it as opposed to the equivalent PC, I'm happy to shell out for a dedicated gaming console.

PaintTinJr

Wasn't the PS5 GPU mid against the high 12TF of the XsX? ...because we all needed that powerfulness explained, didn't we?

PaintTinJr

If you bought into the TFLOPs=performance narrative like a fool, yes.
What like you are doing, now?

Do you then think the leaks that say the Pro can do sparse matrix maths - making it better at matrix maths than any AMD or Nvidia gamer GPU - are wrong?

Do you also believe that the 2 Rays in BVH8 on the Pro vs Nvidia's BVH4 with 4 rays doesn't allow a 2x to 3x increase in RT performance on the Pro as Cerny claimed - making it far more capable than a RX 7700XT, and then what about the 300TOPs and dual issue with rapid pack maths combined with those other things, does that still make it vanilla AMD hardware that has expected performance?

Last edited:

Gaiff

What like you are doing, now?

Do you then think the leaks that say the Pro can do sparse matrix maths - making it better at matrix maths than any AMD or Nvidia gamer GPU - are wrong?

Do you also believe that the 2 Rays in BVH8 on the Pro vs Nvidia's BVH4 with 4 rays doesn't allow a 2x to 3x increase in RT performance on the Pro as Cerny claimed - making it far more capable than a RX 7700XT, and then what about the 300TOPs and dual issue with rapid pack maths combined with those other things, does that still make it vanilla AMD hardware that has expected performance?
I'm buying into what Cerny said. If you keep being disingenuous and using strawmen, you might as well not bother replying.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I'm buying into what Cerny said. If you keep being disingenuous and using strawmen, you might as well not bother replying.
How can you be buying into what Cerny was saying and still going along with Bojji's take that it is the weakest upgrade that needs no explaining? The two positions are in contradiction, and we don't even know if how the 300TOPs is consistent with the CUs and clocks, or is it an NPU in its own right? or some other non symmetrical design oddity.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

How can you be buying into what Cerny was saying and still going along with Bojji's take that it is the weakest upgrade that needs no explaining? The two positions are in contradiction, and we don't even know if how the 300TOPs is consistent with the CUs and clocks, or is it an NPU in its own right? or some other non symmetrical design oddity.
Leaks suggested the AI performance is an NPU.

Gaiff

Your utter inability to read and form coherent arguments is frankly getting tiresome and I grow bored of your word salads that say absolutely nothing. Do you actually bother reading the posts of the people you reply to? Or are you doing what you did with DF and just not reading but replying a bunch of nonsense?

This is what I said in response to it being compared to a 7800 XT.

Goes out the window with PSSR and the rt performance. Don’t let the facts get in the way of a clickbait though.
Now against the 7700 XT.
Would be 6700 vs 7700 XT. Either way, no. The PS5 tends to be a bit slower than the 6700 XT and the Pro will be faster than the 7700 XT. 6700 vs 7800 XT is closer to PS5 vs PS5 Pro in my opinion.

I don't. It will destroy it in RT. Throw in PSSR instead of FSR and it's not much of a contest anymore. Dunno if AMD will have their AI-based FSR out for RDNA4's launch. I suspect they won't.
Where did you get that I was going along with what Bojji said in this thread? My stance hasn't changed for the past several months and I've maintained from what Heisenberg said that it should be somewhat comparable to a 4070 (albeit a tad slower). Then you accused me of using the TFLOPs narrative when I've repeatedly said it was bogus and Cerny's 45% claim would put it squarely on the level of a 7700 XT in rasterization, but I still think it'll be faster and much faster in rt, Yet here you are questioning me as if I had doubted the claims about 2-3x better ray tracing performance when for months I've been on board with that.

Got it? Or you won't bother fucking reading again because it's too hard for you?

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I already quoted these words you said. In light of your last reply do you wish to retract that?

And even in your last reply you still quote yourself comparing the PS5 GPU to 7700XT but with better RT, but attribute difference to the inclusion of the PSSR software component, which all still points to mid-tier vanilla-ish GPU that needs no explaining.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I already quoted these words you said. In light of your last reply do you with to retract that?
No, because the 4070 is a mid-tier GPU.
And even in your last reply you still quote yourself comparing the PS5 GPU to 7700XT but with better RT, but make a attribute difference to the inclusion of the PSSR software component, which all still points to mid-tier vanilla-ish GPU that needs no explaining.
No, you doofus. I've always maintained that the Pro would be faster than the 7700 XT. A poster even said, "I doubt the Pro will outperform a 7700 XT" and I replied that I didn't, and that in addition, you can add PSSR and it won't even be close. So even without PSSR, I still think that the 7700 XT will be slower.
Like HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has been repeating for several months now. 3080/4070/7800 XT tier of performance in rasterization.
Next time you wanna go for those gotcha moments, learn to read. Last time I'm replying to your ass.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

No, because the 4070 is a mid-tier GPU.

No, you doofus. I've always maintained that the Pro would be faster than the 7700 XT. A poster even said, "I doubt the Pro will outperform a 7700 XT" and I replied that I didn't, and that in addition, you can add PSSR and it won't even be close. So even without PSSR, I still think that the 7700 XT will be slower.

Next time you wanna go for those gotcha moments, learn to read. Last time I'm replying to your ass.

Yeah I think if your discussion points about the Pro performance are all with linear terms like faster, slower, more raster like GPU ... then from my perspective you are just comparing raw quantities much like teraflops

whereas IMO the parts of the puzzle that we don't know - and would need expertly explained - and will be where the real transformative performance gains over a 7700XT will come... or not, is in the question of what custom features are in?

like is sparse matrices supported? Or is it an AI accelerator with an extra 300TOPs in? or is it just 300TOPs via new instructions of the existing CU count? All things that factor into if the compute is more like 16,75 TF, or 33 TFs dual issue, or 67 half TFs dual issue rapid pack maths.

In your discussion style it feels like the Pro can be slotted into a chart of PC GPUs at the mid section, which I feel downplays the Pro negatively because the reality is far more nuanced and positive of a GPU that doesn't neatly fit unless underutilised.

Last edited:

Kangx

watch this guy video. Is he fo real?
He putting up a better case in favor of the Pro than sony presentation especially at 3:55. Going by the picture from left to right is like going from very low, medium and high in my opinion. But watch till the end to see his conclusion, it will blow your mind.

There are ton of people like this on twitters and most of them follow Digital foundry which analyze to the smallest detail by zoom in and FF7 rebirth does not need be zoom in to see the major difference in DF video. Are we being gashlighting here?

Last edited:

watch this guy video. Is he fo real?
He putting up a better case in favor of the Pro than sony presentation especially at 3:55. Going by the picture from left to right is like going from very low, medium and high in my opinion. But watch till the end to see his conclusion, it will blow your mind.

There are ton of people like this on twitters and most of them follow Digital foundry which analyze to the smallest detail by zoom in and FF7 rebirth does not need need not be zoom in to see the major difference in DF video. Are we being gashlighting here?

This guy's video always like this, misleading, console drama video,.... If only I know a way to block a youtube channel... He keep showing up on my feed, I don't even watch any of his video.

Top Bottom