• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

JWong

Banned
So, QVT, you owe me 1000 spacebucks cuz the EA "master" servers didn't go down yesterday. ;)

And you're still wrong about my job, so probably should stop making assumptions about that.

Apeboy

I'm going out a limb here only after about 2 hours of gameplay and say the AI defense has definitely been improved. It is not perfect but hold their shape well and will not break down easily. In my first few matches I wound up passing quite a bit to get the defense to show some holes.

One offensive gripe though. Attacking runs suck. They just don't happen all that often and when they do they are late and useless.

JWong

Banned
Apeboy said:
I'm going out a limb here only after about 2 hours of gameplay and say the AI defense has definitely been improved. It is not perfect but hold their shape well and will not break down easily. In my first few matches I wound up passing quite a bit to get the defense to show some holes.

One offensive gripe though. Attacking runs suck. They just don't happen all that often and when they do they are late and useless.
Don't you manually tell them to run? I think it's L1. Check the button help.

Pachimari

Woot, I'm putting this game in my PlayStation 3 now, just got the review copy today, but only just now came home from work. My first match will be El Clasico.

Though what annoys me is, that people I will meet online will think, that I choose Real Madrid because it would be the easiest og because it's a "super team", but I always only play with MY team which has been Real Madrid for a decade. =(

I will even gladly play with Morata, Joselu, Nacho and all our boys instead of the Cristianos and Kakás in the world.

Apeboy

JWong said:
Don't you manually tell them to run? I think it's L1. Check the button help.

You are right, it is L1. Maybe I'm just rusty but it seems to me the wingers don't play deep enough. They play right on top of you when your mid or back has possession. By the time you get a position to get a ball down the sides you are on top of them and moving faster than them, especially once they turn to start their run.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Uk people can pre download the pc version with origin, just got an email, word is its unlocking midnight tonight, 1 cet (from the fifa pc forums, im still 50% downloaded)

Eric WK

Cornballer said:
Has anyone else had problems with this? It's infuriating. Basically, any time I back out from the Clubs menu (back to the main screen options including "Xbox Live", "Virtual Pro", "Settings", etc...) my 360 freezes up. I'll try moving my profile to a memory stick tonight as this solved the problem last year w/ FIFA11.

This is seriously one of the most bizarre bugs I've ever heard of. Sounds like an issue with your console. The alternatives don't really make sense.

JWong

Banned
Apeboy said:
You are right, it is L1. Maybe I'm just rusty but it seems to me the wingers don't play deep enough. They play right on top of you when your mid or back has possession. By the time you get a position to get a ball down the sides you are on top of them and moving faster than them, especially once they turn to start their run.
Yeah, a lot of tweaks are really deep in the game. Some quick tactics will make them more offensive, but I always use custom formations to make sure they are really aggressive.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Anastacio said:
Though what annoys me is, that people I will meet online will think, that I choose Real Madrid because it would be the easiest og because it's a "super team", but I always only play with MY team which has been Real Madrid for a decade. =(
I don't know how well the star-matching works. But now my favorite team Bayern is 5 stars so I don't give a crap about individual Real or Barca players.

What is more annoying is to play them in series. The matchmaking should just take your last 3 matches or so into account and try not to match you up with those.

FIFA is huge (therefor huge player pool), that shouldn't be a problem.

Eric WK said:
This is seriously one of the most bizarre bugs I've ever heard of. Sounds like an issue with your console. The alternatives don't really make sense.
Yeah, it's strange. Last year a number of people had the same problem, and putting your profile on a memory stick fixed it. Hopefully there's a similar quick fix this year, too.

I understand that your favorite teams are good and all, but what I don't understand is why you will only play as them. Why not mix it up and have fun with other teams as well?

rvy

Banned
P9Vsk.gif

Love the new skill system. No idea what they did, but it works for me now.

Cardigan

Who got this on PC? I want to friend some people to play. Maybe even have a little GAF PC league if there's enough people.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Awesome Animals said:
I understand that your favorite teams are good and all, but what I don't understand is why you will only play as them. Why not mix it up and have fun with other teams as well?
Knowing all the players in a squad and what strengths and weaknesses each member has is fun to me.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Cardigan said:
Who got this on PC? I want to friend some people to play. Maybe even have a little GAF PC league if there's enough people.
I only know of me and one other so far :[ not sure there is much interest, i wanted to get a club team going :D

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Cornballer said:
Yeah, it's strange. Last year a number of people had the same problem, and putting your profile on a memory stick fixed it. Hopefully there's a similar quick fix this year, too.

It's absolutely ridiculous. The cameras are truly fucked up this year as well, they reset themselves whenever you go into a different game mode.

So in the 3 games I have played on Career Mode I have already scored 3 OGs. lol

Anybody else having issues with AI putting the ball into your own net when the ball is played accross the goal from the wing?

Joe

is it me or is the new defending less effective and even clunky. On 'professional' setting the CPU can dribble down the field on me no problem.... I'm probably doing something wrong but I still feel fifa11 had way more intuitive and effective defending.

Pachimari

Awesome Animals said:
Other teams in football don't interest me. But sometimes I play as AS Roma as well, sometimes Brøndby IF too. =)

Awesome Animals said:

Yep.

I rarely play with United online. Usually if I'm playing with an English team, it's Aston Villa, Tottenham, or Everton (or that one time I played online with Coventry City).

And I never play with Barca on a matter of principle.

Joe said:
is it me or is the new defending less effective and even clunky. On 'professional' setting the CPU can dribble down the field on me no problem.... I'm probably doing something wrong but I still feel fifa11 had way more intuitive and effective defending.

its not just you, i find the new defending system incredibly clunky and prefer fifa 11's defending.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Smelly Tramp said:
its not just you, i find the new defending system incredibly clunky and prefer fifa 11's defending.

The real problem is the nerf to passing that came along with it. Now it's balanced for the shitty defending and even switching to the old better defending doesn't fix anything because the passing and player speed are still wrong.

I'm finding the new defending particularly difficult, as I often relied on the holding X to close and [ ] to tackle method in FIFA 11. I just have so much trouble lining up a challenge, which often leaves me looking like an idiot as I go to tackle someone and they run straight past me. The computer seems so effective at dribbling, even if I use the new jockeying and contain the CPU seems to just turn on a knife edge and take it right past me. This is certainly going to take a lot of getting used to.

QVT said:
The real problem is the nerf to passing that came along with it. Now it's balanced for the shitty defending and even switching to the old better defending doesn't fix anything because the passing and player speed are still wrong.

yeh thats whats annoyed me, if the new defending system is truly superior to the old one, then why has the old defending been nerfed to hell. people say, ohhh just switch back to legacy if you dont like it, but legacy has been ruined as well!

sneaky77

QVT said:

there is nothing wrong with the new defending, is good, I like it far better

Cardigan

sneaky77 said:
there is nothing wrong with the new defending, is good, I like it far better
yep, I really like the new defending system and I think it feels a lot better than the demo did. It emphasizes the importance of keeping pressure on your man, but not constantly trying to take the ball away. If you do that, you will get burned. However, if you keep the pressure tight and go for the ball at the right times you will be successful.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So, I know I'm asking a one-sided thread here, but I'm hoping someone's played both. FIFA 12 or NHL 12? Note, I''m very unfamiliar on both as sports, but I enjoyed my time with both demos... Also I played PES 2004 a long time ago and Megaman Soccer. That totally counts

Ardenyal

zoner said:
So, I know I'm asking a one-sided thread here, but I'm hoping someone's played both. FIFA 12 or NHL 12? Note, I''m very unfamiliar on both as sports, but I enjoyed my time with both demos... Also I played PES 2004 a long time ago and Megaman Soccer. That totally counts
Fifa 12.

The NHL series has really stagnated after the good years of NHL 09 and with the newest iteration it feels like the series has regressed... Whereas Fifa has been improving every year.

zoner said:

FIFA 12
NHL 09

Go.

zoner said:

you can't really go wrong with either, both offer a lot of the same game modes and similar quality and replayability

omgkitty

Just realized you can turn the new defending mechanics off. I am really tempted to do so even though I'd probably get raped if I tried to play online because I am assuming you have to play with it on there.

Apeboy

zoner said:

Have both. FIFA is my vote. More variety and longevity to be had with fifa in my opinion.

sneaky77

as much as I think there is potentially a great game under the surface, I think I am gonna get tired of this far quicker than 11... when the same shit happens yr after yr is just frustrating..

sneaky77

leng jai said:
So everytime I change my starting 11 in H2H it says I have an unfair squad file and cancels the game. Wtf?

it just did on mine too.. and I didn't change anything, so must be some online shit going on, it downloads the squads before every match so I dont get it

Meier

Even the CPU is timid with the new defending. I'm slamming on RB and they just let them pass it around. Absolutely getting dominated in TOP.

Soi-Fong

Well, gameface is still screwed up for the game. In 11 it was fine, but here it becomes so much different from what the show in the computer.

Decado

Um...how do you edit a players' age? You could do it in previous games, but I can't find birthdate in the edit settings in FIFA 12.

Top Bottom